Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Tahoe

Comments

• is it possible to change my 2 row into a 3 row? also i can't get the larger side of the split back seat to fold down. The single seat folds no prob.....the double won't budge. It's supposed to isn't it? PLEASE HELP ME - thanx Sal
  • davids1davids1 Posts: 411
    You can buy third row seats aftermarket. I don't know how well they work. I also don't know anything about their safety!!! I would be concerned because you likely don't have seat belts back there now.

Both sides of the second row in my 99 fold down. You likely have something keeping the hinge from rotating. Look at how the small seat folds and see if something is keeping the large seat from rotating.
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Posts: 2,240
    Just remember that the third row option included heavier rear springs.

The wide side should fold down in the same manner as the narrow side. Make sure the cable is in good shape or the latch will not release when pulling the fabric tab. Could just be a minor adjustment.

The seat belts are integral to the seats themselves.
  • Hi I'm currently in the market for a two door tahoe. Well I wanted to ask a couple of questions considering this will be my first SUV and my first Chevy.
    First I'm looking for a Two Door Tahoe or Yukon that is no older than 1995 or 1994 (depending on conditions). Second I want the 6.5 Tubro Diesel with no more than 150,000 miles. Is what I am looking for impossible to find?
    I'm not asking for people to help me buy it I'm just asking can I still find a Tahoe or Yukon in this condition?
  • chitochito Posts: 1
    I have basically the same problem except only my speedometer is the only thing that quit. Anyone know what I can do to fix it?
  • bcb1bcb1 Posts: 149
    No, not impossible to find...but almost. The two-door Tahoes and Yukons have sort of a cult following. They can bring stupid money sometimes, especially with the turbo diesel engine! The prices are all over the place on them (check out autotrader.com and ebaymotors.com)

And folks just love to jack 'em up and modify them...which in my humble opinion ruins the look and the value. They also tend to be like buying a used BMW or Vette...in many cases, they've had the piss run out of them.

So, the caveat here would be buyer beware. Make sure you're getting a nice one, and be prepared to look for a while if you insist on the turbo diesel engine. If you're willing to drive (or fly) a ways to find one, then autotrader or ebay motors would be the way to go.
  • My Tahoe 4-wheel drive makes grinding sounds when slowing down. If I am making a turn and slow down, the truck will come to a complete stop. However; it does great @highway speeds. I am clueless as to what this can be.
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,231
    Which 4x4 mode are your running when this happens and what are the road conditions? Dry, wet, snow, etc.
  • txyank1txyank1 Posts: 1,010
    A Tahoe or Yukon with Turbo Deisel? Wow, that's one I've never seen. :confuse:
  • yrneh1yrneh1 Posts: 25
    I also have similar problem. My tachometer died first. Now the speedometer is also out after 2 months. When I went to the dealer (out of warranty - 45k miles), they quoted $650 to replace the entire cluster. Outrageous. Is this a possible factory recall issue?
  • In 4x4 hi and it doesn't matter what the road condition is, dry or wet. It just started doing this about 2 months ago. I don't know what the difference is?
  • I own a 2002 Chevy Tahoe..Nowhere in my owners manual does it tell you at what level(gallons remaining) that the light comes on...The tank holds 26 gallons..Does anyone know how much fuel you have left in the tank when light comes on???? Thanks, Steve
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,231
    You should not be in 4hi for any dry/wet road conditions. Only snow/ice/mud. 2hi and autotrac are the only selections that can be used on anything besides slippery surfaces (wet is not considered slippery). 4hi locks your axles together and powers both front and rear wheels. When you turn, the axles are binding because the inside wheels are not able to turn at different speeds, which they must do when turning. You're essentially destroying your 4x4. It's not noticeable at highway speeds because you're not making any turns large enough to bind the axles. A quick description of the settings:

Autotrac- Can be used on any surface. All power is sent to the rear axle until slippage occurs. When the rear tires slip, 50% of power is almost instantly shifted to the front axles. It's not as good as 4x4, but the big benefit is you can drive on all surfaces. This is great when the roads are partially slippery, or you're driving some clear roads/some slippery roads etc.

4hi- Can only be used on slippery surfaces. The road has to be slippery enough to let the front tires slip when making turns, otherwise the drivetrain can bind up and cause major damage. Best choice when roads are completely snow-covered or when off-roading.

2hi- Use any time, only rear axles get power.

4lo- Same basic use as 4hi except the vehicle is geared significantly lower. Use mainly off-road, or perhaps when pulling very heavy loads up very steep hills at slow speeds (boat ramps/heavy trailer). Not good for on-road use really.
  • ahightowerahightower DFWPosts: 461
    I have a 2005 Yukon XL. It has a 31-gallon tank, and if I fill up as soon as the light comes on, it will take about 25-26 gallons. So there are 4-5 gallons to go. Kind of conservative, but better safe than sorry.
  • I really appreciate this. The manual only says you could damage your 4 wheel drive if you drive on dry or wet pavement for long periods of time. Your exactly right, this is what is happening. THANK YOU. I hope I have not done any damage to it.
  • I have a 2002 5.3 and my light comes on at 20.5 gallons (or every 2 days.....just kidding) or so......so 5 gallons is still left.
  • My 03 Yukon with a 5.3 comes on with 3-3.5 gallons left. If my light comes on, I am looking for a gas station in 30 miles or less.

Mike :)
  • drejdrej Posts: 119
    Hi ;My 95 truck developed an electrical problem (Worst problems at times)... the "Backing lights" (Bright white) blink in the rear with the turn-signal (So I put tape over them so as not to distract divers behind me) not to mention ....Also when hitting the brakes the rear backing lights go on. In addition the right rear turn signal (when applied) blinks both the left and right together (+with the backing lights) almost as if I applied the emergency flashers (less the idiot light). So I have to be care full making a right signal. Any ideas? I didn't see any posts on this one. I do haver the tralier tow Package D~
  • I bought my Tahoe brand new and have 50K miles on it in a little over two years. Everything was fine with it until last month, I had my oil changed and a week later the lifters were making horrible noise and my heater only works intermittently. Took it to the dealer and was told the oil was old and they did another oil change but three weeks later it's doing the same thing. This only happens in the morning when it's cold. Also the coolant is leaking out but they are not able to find the leak. I haven't smelled any coolant while driving. Has anyone heard of these issues? I'm very annoyed that I spent 47K on a SUV and two years later it's in the shop.

• drejdrej Posts: 119
    Could be coolant leaking into your oil. look at the oil after driving , is it that foamy whitish color... smell of antifreeze? maybe a head gasket leak? no worries since you should still have a warranty!!!! go to another dealer! D~