Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Tahoe

Comments

• I have a 05 base with the manual climate controls under the radio. Is it possible to upgrade to the digital control without major modifications?
    Thanks
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,231
    No. Have you used auto climate control? I've owned many and usually just run them in manual mode.
    No. Have you used auto climate control? I've owned many and usually just run them in manual mode.
  • Last night my Tahoe was broken into so I am looking for new 3rd row seats, oh yeah... a kick @$$ alram to install too. If anyone knows of a good alarm or where to get 3rd row seats plz let me know?

Thx
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Posts: 2,240
    If the hinges are welded in place, you may only need to replace the hinge pins.
  • sorry bout that, it seems to be happening a lot in ft. worth, tx. Those 3rd row seat are being stolen all the time. look on ebay, thats probably where yours will end up, or as a couch in some punks apt. stereo shop for an alarm your best bet.
  • I have an 05 Z71 Tahoe. Is there any recommendations for a chip that will exhance performance and increase gas mileage at an affordable price. Also, has anyone tried the tornado fuel saver and does it work on a Tahoe?
  • tourguidetourguide Posts: 188
    I personally don't place much faith that programmers will do much for fuel economy. They will likely improve your performance, though not as dramatically as you may hope. The best thing you can do for increased fuel economy is develop a light foot and SLOW down. As far as tornado fuel savers go - forget it. They are snake oil and worthless.
  • ahightowerahightower DFWPosts: 461
    Someone once told me, don't you think if car manufacturers could enchance the performance AND gas mileage of their cars with a simple computer chip, they would jump all over it and install it as original equipment? There are hundreds of engineers working at GM, I tend to trust their judgment more than some iffy aftermarket tuner.

Having said that, if you actually accomplish this amazing feat with some cheap tuner chip and can prove the results, let me know and I'll go get one too!
  • aa555zzaa555zz Posts: 55
    When you press the dome override button 4 times you also disable the Daytime Running Lights.

The Daytime Running Lights will come on when the following conditions are met:
    * The ignition is on,
    * The exterior lamps control is in automatic headlamp mode,
    * The automatic transmission is not in PARK (P),
    * The light sensor determines it is daytime,
    * The parking brake is released.

If the light sensor determines that it is not daylight the headlights will come on instead of the Daytime Running Lights.

Your owners manual explains in more detail how the automatic headlamp system and the Daytime Running lamp system work.
  • aa555zzaa555zz Posts: 55
    Look at the base (bottom) of the battery. Some are held in place by a retainer at the base of the battery. Usually a single bolt secures the retainer.
  • ahightowerahightower DFWPosts: 461
    aa555zz,

Is that a permanent override? I know that if you turn the headlight switch to the left once, it will turn off the DRL's, but only for that trip. They come on again next time you start the car.

Personally I have no reason to disable the DRLs, I understand the safety reason for them. I've seen some people write that they don't like them, not sure why. Is it because they make you more vulnerable to the police? I don't think a radar gun cares whether your DRLs are on. Help me out if I am missing something to the argument.

I guess the only reason I would disable my DRLs is because every third GM pickup or SUV on the road has one burnt out. I suspect most people don't even know it, or else they don't want to pay to have it repaired. Kind of surprising that GM hasn't come up with a better design, this is a VERY common issue in my experience. So when one of mine inevitably fails, I'll try to remember the dome light trick.
  • daumpdaump Posts: 2
    Is there a PDF version of the GM shop manual that can be done loaded for a 1999 Tahoe? If so where do I find it?
  • daumpdaump Posts: 2
    I have a 99 Tahoe. Is there a rear brakes drums to disc conversion kit available?
    Having said that, if you actually accomplish this amazing feat with some cheap tuner chip and can prove the results, let me know and I'll go get one too!

Well, the GM people also have to get the thing to pass emissions. Some of the tuners I'm sure compromise this. Many also require premium fuel to get the enhanced power. I have no doubt you can add some power (slightly) and maybe some mpg (slightly) with these tuners. It's just like when you own a vehicle that's designed for premium, it has less power when you run regular fuel. It's all in the programming for the most part these days.

The only chips that make huge differences is on the diesels. I've had my Jetta TDI chipped and the power change is easy to spot and mileage doesn't really change. Gassers aren't as easy to monkey with unless they have turbo's. I've never chipped my diesel trucks, but I've driven ones that have been. Big difference.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    You may also want to check out Owner's Manual.

tidester, host
  • Thanks for the info. The reason I asked the question was because I have a friend who has a Ford Diesel and he added a chip to it. He said that it increased the horsepower and increased his MPG. I guess it doesn't work on gas.
  • dardson1dardson1 Posts: 696
    How true! Why on earth would GM (Ford, Toyota, or anyone else) not use a chip that pass emission rules, use less fuel, and add power? This stuff is sold to the same people who buy diet pills that "work while you sleep" (no need to cut back on the food or get off the couch) . . .and NO, I don't believe the car makers have secret fleets of powerful full-sized vehicles that get 100 miles per gallon they've been bribed by the oil companies to keep off the market. . . lol
  • I just traded my 2005 for a 2006 :) and the new tahoe did not have running boards :( so i took them off of my 05 ;) is there any issues to re installing them or should it just be a re bolt ?? please help i pick the new one up monday and my wife wants it done then :sick: :confuse:
  • feeharfeehar Posts: 2
    Can anyone tell me where I could find my compartment filter and how often I should change it.