Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Tahoe

Comments

• siuesiue Posts: 2
    I found a solution to this problem! And in looking at past posts, I think there are several others with the same problem. Again, the specific problem is that at about 1/2 shift there is a sound similar to putting a wrench in a fan, maybe some chirping as well. The noise is caused from the arm wobbling around and hitting it's own metal "stop" on the base, belt will intermittently slip, and the arm can even come down on the transmission cooler lines making a rattle and vibration (the whole thing is very unsettling). Originally, I replaced my worn out a/c tensioner arm. I replaced my totally busted original GM part with a part from AutoZone. Then, the problem was fixed for a day and then got horribly worse. When I took off my replacement part I realized that one of the metal tabs that serves as the "stop" so it won't be too loose had broken off. I went back to autozone, got another part, and same horrible problem. You could look at the arm while the engine was running and see it "wobbling" back and forth about 1/2 to 1 inch at the end of the arm or more. I thought that either this is normal and I might have a bad a/c compressor or clutch, or I have another bad part. I chose to go with the latter option and went to the local dealer and got a GM part. Guess what...it worked like a charm! No noise, no wobble at all, the new part is extremely solid. So the moral of the story is that at least for this part, go certified GM. Hope this helps others.
  • ickusickus Posts: 2
    I took a ride with the service advisor yesterday. He is convinced it is a loose body bushing. They are tightening all of the bushings today. The last time I took it back they greased the seals just like everyone else on this thread. When I got halfway home the noise started again. Lets see how tightening the bushings does...
  • xkssxkss Posts: 722
    I saw the new Tahoe at the L.A. auto show and was very impressed by the new interior. It is far better than the old one.

2003 Tahoe LT

2007 Tahoe LTZ

• raider1raider1 Posts: 3
    I need to replace the tires on my 2004 Tahoe. Hate the current Bridgestones HT that came with it. After doing some research, I am looking at the Nokian Vatiiva or Nokian WR for all season highway driving. Any one with any experience with these tires or any other recommendations
  • spudrcrspudrcr Posts: 3
    I have a 2001 Tahoe that i just put on Michelin LTX M/S. Great Tires.
  • mm450excmm450exc Posts: 37
    2001 Tahoe. Got some "minor" rust development on the liftgate. Around the lock and on the bottom inside. Anybody else have this problem. I think I'll fix this myself. How do I go about getting the correct paint?
  • rockman59rockman59 Posts: 250
    For the correct paint you can go to your GM dealer. They will use your VIN number to determine the exact color you need. You could also visit some of your local car painting shops. They can help you too.
  • jrb2114jrb2114 Posts: 2
    I need so advice, preferably from personal experience. I have a 2006 Tahoe with the 5.3 V8 FFV Engine. How heavy of a trailer can I tow? The spec is about 7500lbs but is that realistic to tow a camper into the hills? I would like to hear some experiences with this before I shell out the money for a trailer that pulls me backwards down the mountain. Thanks
  • ahightowerahightower DFWPosts: 429
    That's actually a complex question. Depends on how much weight inside the Tahoe, and the tongue weight, and some other stuff. Look for the edmunds advice article on towing. In general, a lot of folks recommend towing only about 80% of the "maximum" listed on the spec sheet.

Can you take the trailer for a test drive?
  • spudrcrspudrcr Posts: 3
    I agree with the last comment. Take about 80% and that is a good no. I have a 2001 Tahoe same engine and I tow a 3500 lb boat and when all is said and done, i've got close to 5000 lbs of stuff either in the tahoe or the boat. It does good, but will kick down to 2nd gear but goes like hell in 2nd gear. See if you can pull it, i installed Liftmaster bags in my springs with a compressor mounted under the back and the switch in the cab and has helped alot. You will be happy, but do yourself a favor and take it for a spin and up some steep hills. Do not expect to be passing anyone, but you should hold a nice steady 50 mph. The tahoe runs strong about 3800-4000 RPM>
  • jay_24jay_24 Posts: 536
    We had our 03 re-done under warranty by the dealer last summer. Its an aluminum lift gate so rust isn't the correct term. In our case the paint was bubbling up and looked like rust. Its more of a problem with the paint sticking to the aluminum. We ended up with a whole new liftgate/door.

--jay
  • If you bought the autonation extended warranty that included the "Don't use it, don't lose it" terms at Anderson Chevy in Los Gatos or Menlo Park, you can get your money back. Both of the chevy dealers have been sold multiple times. Contact Autowest Acura on Stevens Creek. They're still owned by Autonation and they have someone there to process the refunds for the unused warranties. Good luck.... :P
  • jeffh7jeffh7 Posts: 3
    The noise you hear is your a/c compressor starting to go out. We were hearing the same thing, so I changed the a/c belt and the tensioner out. Well that didn't do anything except make the noise get louder. I took it down to the dealership and they wanted $966.31 to change out the a/c compressor, no thank you. I bought the compressor online for $219.00 and a friend that owns a body shop pump the system down for me so I could change it myself. Then I had him charge it back up for me (I paid him for his time $60.00). Works great without all the cost.
    Slider07
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Posts: 2,240
    Ours is an '04 Yukon w/ 5.3L and .373 axle. We tow a certified weight 6650# travel trailer with one kid and three full size folks inside. No problems as long as I keep it between 60-65. Beyond that and (besides safety issues) the gas mileage will drop well into single digits.
  • dantheman3dantheman3 Posts: 14
    I have a 2003 Tahoe LT/5.3/V-8 and tow a 1998 26ft. Nash trailer that weighs 4800 lbs. dry. Loaded up about 5500. The Tahoe tows that weight with ease.
  • cmorris1cmorris1 Posts: 7
    I hope that one of you have knowledge as how to soften the ride of my '03 Tahoe Z71. I went from a Lincoln Town Car to my truck and now I am missing that cushy ride but I love my truck so I don't want to get rid of it. Thanks for any suggestions or ideas!
  • rttahoerttahoe Posts: 2
    Driving home from work today I had the same thought. I leveled my '02 Tahoe by cranking the torsion bars. Should I buy new torsion keys? Or are we asking to much from a truck based SUV? (Although, the 06 F150 in our family rides almost like a Town Car)
  • ohjoy61ohjoy61 Posts: 4
    I dont know the name, But styling concepts.com has the Plastic pieces you want...
  • I have the same problem, but with a 1998 Tahoe. It blew the ENG-1 20 amp fuse, had multiple misfire codes, mass airflow sensor low volt code, trace short found that heated O2 sensor bank 1, sensor 1 shorted internmally. Replaced bank 1, sensor 1 corrected short problem. Now, has multiple misfires missing on all cylinders on Bank 2. Cylinders 2,4,6, and 8. Puffing black smoke, no power found cause to be heated oxygen sensor, bank 2, sensor 1 corrected this problem.Also in the process i replace all plugs an wires but 02-sensor was the problem :) :surprise:
  • I'm considering buying an 07 Tahoe to tow a travel trailer. The travel trailer i'm considering is an Outback by Keystone. 22'1". Gross vehicle weight is 6500#, dry weight is 4545. Hitch is 425. Cargo capacity is 1480#. I don't think with 4 bikes, clothes, food and necessities (using paper plates, cups etc) would equal 1480#. Add batteries and propane. Would tow with empty water tanks but a full water heater (6 gallons).

With an equalizer hitch with anti-sway bar and above numbers they pencil out to a 9% hitch weight - which is kinda of light. But thats not taking into account the tanks are in the front, the kitchen is in between the axles and the batteries and bikes store near the front as well.

Does anyone have a similar set up and what is your experience with it? Should I be looking at a lighter trailer?