Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Tahoe

Comments

• I just had my Transmission fluid and filter changed. After about 40 miles on the road my heater started blowing cold air? I turned it of and on several times and it still just blew cold air. The outside temperature was about 39 degrees and the engine temperature gauge was reading it's normal temp of around 200 degrees.

I went into Wal-Mart and came out a couple of hours later. On the way home I turned on the heater and it is now working fine. I have driven it a couple more times since and the heater is still working as normal.

I was wondering if this could have happened because I had the mechanic put in Full Synthetic transmission fluid instead of just straight Dexron III and the transmission sensors were effected?

I've never heard of this before, but seems strange how it happened right after the transmission fluid was changed.

What ever the cause was, I pray that it doesn't happen again, at least not in the winter when the outside temp is running between 10 & 40 degrees.

Has this happen to anyone else, where their heater started blowing cold air for known reason?
  • blink3blink3 Posts: 74
    Hey! on the right side, there is a rubber mat next to the radiator. Run your hand down it and it will have a access port in it. My hand barely fit in it. you can pull the bulb fixture out that way. The wire it too short to pull the whole thing out so you will have to use one hand to hold the base and pull the bulb out at the same time. It can be done, just have to have strong dexterous fingers.

Good luck.
  • If anyone is interested,
    The microphone for the OnStar system is located on your rear view mirror.
    The Transfer Case will only take Auto Trac II. This is only sold by a Chevy dealer. I asked the dealer several times if it was the same type of fluid as Dexron III, Gear Oil, or was it a special weighted fluid? I was again advised that you could not put anything else besides Auto Trac II into your Tahoe’s Transfer Case. This is not to good for us that like to shop around and get the best prices, etc.
    Just a reminder for those of you who did not see my post on the spark plugs. Don't wait until you have 100,000 miles to change them. I had 51,300 when I pulled mine and changed them out. They were all very brown. The dealer uses Delco Plugs. I bought some E3 plugs that work a lot better and are less expensive than the Delco Plugs.
  • 73shark73shark Posts: 325
    Newsflash: brown spark plugs (insulator) are indicative of an engine that is running with the correct fuel/air ratio. :)

What are you basing your statement on that the E3 plugs work a lot better? :confuse:
  • My 4x4 has worked for the most part since I bought it. It was working just lately, and as I drove it, the front axle light in front of the lever flickered and turned off. My lever was still engaged in 4hi. From noticing, my 4wd doesn't work anymore. I can shift it into 4hi or 4low, but my front axle light will not illuminate. Even when I pull forward a little or backward. And I've tried driving around a little and then shifting it in and it still doesn't work. What do I need to replace? (I've already checked the fuse)
  • I tried and can't even get my hand down far enough to reach the area you suggested. Thanks for the info. I'll see if I can find someone who can do it for me.
    Did you ever find out what the problem was with your Tahoe not starting?
  • From articles I've read in Off Road Magazines and other Magazines. In addition from what the informatin say's on the web site's, etc.
    Just today, 01/20/07 while at Kragons I read the Article they have on their New Bosch Platium Plugs that have what appears to be 4 prongs on top. The article states that the Bosch Platium plugs are better than the OM plugs.
    There are a lot of high performance plugs that are better than the OM Plugs. Some might cost you more and some might cost you less. It just depends on what type of plug you want to buy. I hope that this helped.
    I prefer actual test data such a dyno runs. I put a set of Bosch platinums in a Mitsubishi 3.0L V6 and it ran like crap. Put a new set of OEM Champions in and it ran great but that's just anecdotal evidence. Still like real test data by independent source.
  • It might be that you don't see a difference or see worse rather than better performance is do to the size of your vehicle. I mean come on, those rice burners can't weigh more than 1500 pounds if that. If you want to see an improvement in your performance in such a car, you'll probably have to change out the entire engine. But that's just my opinion.
    Also, the Bosch Platium Plugs have a new Platium plug out which is a lot better than their previous Platium Plug and certianly a lot better than the stock OEM plugs of any brand. I'm not knocking champion plugs in the least. I ran them in my 67 Camero. And yes it was a high performance engine, clutch, trans, differential, etc in my Camero. At that time though there wasn't these high performance plugs avaliable to me. And Champion was the only plug that ran hot enough to get the job done. I did try several other brands at that time, none of them compared to Champion.
    But now since we are in the future, 30 years later and these high performance plugs have come out, and yes they have been dyno tested, I will pay a little more for the added technology in these plugs. And some of them such as the E3 plugs aren't but $6.25 per plug.
    Of course my 2004 Tahoe Z71 with all the Off Road Equipment added on makes it quit heavy and I need all the extra power to get better gas mileage, towing power, etc. I hope that this helped. Have a Good Day. :shades:
    It (the 3.0L) was in a 2 ton Dodge minivan. And something about their ignition system wasn't compatible with the Bosch platinums back then (90s). The platinum tip was actually burned off down to the porcelain insulator after less than 1,000 mi. I'm sure everyone is on the same page now so new ones are probably pretty good. It just seems strange that with the current horsepower wars, the OEMs wouldn't be using these new hipo plugs if it gave them more ponies. Arguing about spark plugs is about as fruitful as talking about which car wax is best. If they work for you, that's great. ;)
  • Please get your story straight. You said that you put the Bosch Platinum in your eclipse, not a Mini Van. Either way we are talking about 2007 and not the 1990ties or even 2005. The new Bosch Platinum Spark Plugs are not the same as they where even a year ago. Technology has changed and with it so has the equipment which we as American’s can buy freely if we choose to.
    If you do not to take advantage of today’s technology, because you’re sold on the OEM equipment, good for you, but please don't tell people to compare after market equipment, even spark plugs to car wax.
    Why are you so upset? Most people on this forum and other forums are here to provide useful information and not garbage that makes no sense. :P
    I'm not upset. You just need to read it a little closer.

"I put a set of Bosch platinums in a Mitsubishi 3.0L V6 and it ran like crap."

The engine was made by Mitsubishi, not the car.

Not sold on OEM equip. It's just that I've seen a lot of aftermarket stuff that doesn't live up to its claims. Sorry you got lost in the metaphor. ;)
  • My question to you all is:

Has any one ever used the Hypertech power programmer III
    They told me I could get up to 45 more HP's and better MPG.
    I would like to know if it works and if y'all are positive about it.

I have a 2003 Tahoe LT 5.3L
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,968
    Take a look through Chip Upgrades.. worth it? while waiting for responses in here.
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    I don't know what 45hp feels like by the seat of my pants. After installing the Hypertech I can tell you this much. The seat of my pants remained pretty much the same cept the wallet being $300 lighter.
  • Did you ever get this fixed?

I'm having the same problem on my 05 Tahoe.
  • Hi, I have happened upon your article and I am pleased that I did so. I currently own a 2001 Chevrolet Silverado Z71 4x4 pickup truck and I am experiencing similar problems. It has an EL60E auto transmission and only about 65000 original miles on the truck since I bought it new. I was driving it as normal one day and the transmission started slipping really bad, the engine rpm going up and the truck slowed to a stop. I had just made a left turn from a traffic light...I turned the truck off and restarted it a minute later. This allowed me to travel another mile or so when the same action occurred. I shut it off again,waited a minute, then restarted and continued for yet another mile or so.....It took me the better part of an afternoon to travel 20 miles, shutting it down, starting it up again. I thought it may have been computer related, which is why I shut it off, restarted it to reset the computer. I finally reached my home and immediately contacted my neighbor who is a licensed mechanic. He 'listened' to it, he stated that the torque converter had come apart from the transmission somehow and the transmission would have to be replaced,or rebuilt. This was his conclusion upon a brief investigation & checking the trans fluid. Unfortunately he did not have his handheld computer to learn what codes would present themselves. Anyway, my truck has been parked for 3 months for lack of cash to replace the transmission. Upon reading some articles including yours, on the 4L60E transmission problems, I feel it is possible that the reaction sun gear is causing my problem, as well....Thanks for posting your information for others to read.....Ross67
  • tom213tom213 Posts: 49
    I've noticed and finally measured to confirm that my 2004 Z71 is lower on the driver side that the passenger side. It's quite noticeable when I stand about 10-15 feet behind the vehicle. I thought I read somewhere that there is an adjustment that can be made to level the vehicle. Could it be with those bars underneath toward the front that can be adjusted?? My warranty just ran out in January and hopefully can convince dealer to do work for free, if not just for being a good customer (2nd "new" Tahoe I bought from them over the years)should be worth something.
  • ynvmeynvme Posts: 1
    i have a 01 tahoe. on those extremely cold frosty days only the drivers mirror defrost fairly fast the passengers mirror takes a while. sometimes my trip to work or the store is complete. anyone has any suggestions or cures for this problem, i would greatly appreciate it.
  • jerrywimerjerrywimer Posts: 588
    You do have some adjustment leeway with the torsion bars in front to raise one side or the other (or conversely, lower one or the other a bit) to help level it. This is how many people have leveled their 99-06 GM trucks and SUVs front to rear. The main reason I question how much it'll help your case is that you mentioned it being noticeable from the rear. The torsion bars primarily affect the front. The rear has coil springs, and I'm not sure how much they'll be affected by playing with the relative side-to-side height of the front end.

Good luck and please post back with results if you do attempt to tweak the torsion bar adjustment. I'm certain others can benefit from your experience one way or the other.