Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Tahoe

Comments

• I have a 96 chevy tahoe, 5.7 liter. There is a high pitch whining noise when driving in warm to hot weather at highway speeds. Anyone have any idea what is causing this and what to do about it? It has 115,000 miles on it now... Thanks..
  • rockman59rockman59 Posts: 250
    075bronco said: cant even make it to the dealership _ should i try and jump it?
    Your '07 should still be under warranty. Call your dealer and they will come pick up the vehicle and take it to their shop. Let them handle it. I would not try to "jump it". That could cause additional problems.
  • ndmattendmatte Posts: 4
    Little tranny update. Picked up the Tahoe today. It took more than a week to get the warranty to approve a new tranny but they did, when they saw the amount of parts and labor it would take to rebuild. The battery was determined to be ok. Just had to do some sort of software download. So far so good. Of course it took 19K miles to ruin the tranny last time. 18995 mile to go.
  • taxiecabtaxiecab Posts: 1
    My wife has a 2002 Buick La and I have a 2002 tahoe 2 wd 4 dr. when we went to have the brakes replaced after over 50,000 miles she was told they could not turn the rotors and they would all have to be replaced. She did find one brake shop that would turn the rotors and they did and so far the brakes have been ok. On my 2002 Tahoe when I had brakes put on they tried to turn the rotors and they just fell apart and could not be turned. The material was like some kind of pot metal and just crumbled up. I had to spend and additional $400. dollars for all new rotors. Had the same problem on my 1997 Tahoe when I had brakes put on at 30.000 miles and they turned the rotors and the next time I needed brakes at just 55,000 the rotors had to be replaced.
    On my 2002 Tahoe truck I have been having brake problems when at the end of a slow stop the wheel next to the driver would make a noise and make the brake pedal feel like something hit it. some times it would do it and some times not. I took it to my garage and they said the brakes were on recall. When i checked with all the dealers they said it was not for here but for Canada due to the high salt usage on thier roads. The service mgr. of the dealer where i bought it said he would ck into it and see what he could do. He was aware of the problem and said it was due to corosion and they needed to be clean and sensors ckecked.
    The service Mgr.called me today and said they will do it and Gen. Mts. will pay for it. I told him the only problem was that I just had a wreck with it where I rearended the truck in front of me because i could not get it stopped. It was a low speed accident and no air bags were deployed and I know it was do to those damn ABS brakes. The pedal was to the floor and mushy like air in the lines or what ever they did not feel right. Gen. Mts. has had a brake problem for many years now going way back into the early 90's and they just keep dancing around it and won't try to fix it. They love to sell rotors. The NBTS needs to make an accounting of this mes and bring them to task.
    Like when my wife purchased her 2002 Buick she asked if there was an emg trunk release inside of the trunk compart incase some one would lock u in it. They all said yes from the dealer to the manufacture. "They said all 2002 were equiped with them". I said please find hers. There was not one and do you know why? Her car was built in Aug. and they law didn't go inot effect until Sept. 1st so they didn't do it until the law made them. I would have cost maybe $2 bucks so that gives you a good idea of what they think of your safety. No wonder people buy those foreign Japnesse cars so much. They are a lot smarter than I am.
  • piercemanpierceman Posts: 47
    Responding to my own post 2-1/2 years ago.
    Has anyone swapped out 2nd row captains with a split bench?

Unfortunately the pregnancy I spoke about 2 years ago didn't make it, but thankfully we are expecting again.

Sorry if I never responded to previous responses
    I have grey leather in an 05 Yukon SLT in great condition

Let me know if anyone has done the swap and/or if they have a bench to trade

Thanks

Rich
  • dsatwoodsdsatwoods Posts: 7
    I have a 2002 Chevy. Tahoe Z71 that has not had a problem in 70,000 miles. 6 months ago the security light would come on for no apparent reason, every so often it would go into the tamper proof no start mode and let me sit for 10 minutes. I have known the service manager and the service personnel at the dealer since 1988 and found them to be forthright and honest. They checked the codes and said it looked like the Key Housing that was tripping the system. I replaced that at a cost of 278.00. That did not correct the problem. So we talked about what to do next and they said they were not sure and GM was not giving them much to go with as they have the problem with other models and have had poor success with a fix. Hoping someone here can shed some light on this.
  • dsatwoodsdsatwoods Posts: 7
    I have installed many remote starts over the years in Chevys and had no problems. I used a number of systems and settled with Bulldog Security. I normally use their Model RS1200E Starter. I do not bother with all the extras as cars now have remote door locks. They have developed an interface cable that is easy to install and eliminates allot of cutting and splicing. Naturally you will have to drop the bottom pannels of the dash to get to everything but that is pretty easy. http://www.bulldogsecurity.com/
    the interface cable is called a T Harness and it is worth it.
  • bpdcpa1bpdcpa1 Posts: 4
    Rich,

We had a similar situation due to a new child, although it was with a 2002 Suburban. For that year, the bucket seats have the exact mounting configuration as a 60/40 split bench for any Suburban for years 2000, 2001 & 2002 I believe. Thus, I found a split bench at a junk yard from a 2001 Suburban. This was after about 1 year of searching. I actually previously bought two different seats that I thought would work - one off of Ebay in which the guy only sent 1 part of the 60/40, and another from an out-of-state used parts guy - the seat was from a '99 Suburban. The problem with the wrong year, other than the size is a bit different, is that all of the mounting locations are different. I would have had to drilled new points through the floor board to mount it. When I got the correct year seat, it fit perfectly on the existing mounts.

Forget trying to buy the bench from the dealer or Chevy - they won't sell it to you. My suggestion would be to find a reputable junk yard/parts dealer and have them find it for you. Since yours is an '05, you may want to check first to see if any of the adjacent years are compatible. Chevy may be able to help you with that.

Good luck!

Brian
    Thank Brian, I will keep looking, posting and lurking and hopefully I will find one

I will be checking junk yards also if things look bleak
  • bpdcpa1bpdcpa1 Posts: 4
    For your reference, I paid $250 for the seat from a junkyard, then $500 to have it reupholstered in matching leather.
  • rockman59rockman59 Posts: 250
    My suggestion would be to find a reputable junk yard/parts dealer and have them find it for you.
  • asanchez1asanchez1 Posts: 1
    In Feb 2008, I bought a z71 Chevy Tahoe. Within the past two months, I began hearing a horrible rattling sound that comes on about two seconds after I start the vehicle. It is so loud that I am embarassed to start it. It is only happening after the vehicle is started. I took the vehicle in for service. However, nothing was found. It is doing it more often. Has anyone had the same problem? :confuse:
    I am very interested
    Please email me at RPierce66@aol.com. I have grey captains chairs in vvery good condition
    My only worry is that the shades of grey may be different. Does anyone know if they significantly changed the greys from 2001 to 2005
    Where are you located? I am in Central NJ just south of NY

Thanks

Rich
  • rmills33rmills33 Posts: 2
    I have a 98 Tahoe Z71 and its my first 4X4. The steering has gotten loose and it pulls to the right. If there is one of those anoying lines in the road where they have patched it my Tahoe trys to follow the line. I have to hold it strait when I hit a bump also. Any Ideas on where to begin with this would be greatly appreciated.
  • alston28alston28 Posts: 97
    Can I swap out front row buckets for a split bench?
    Thanks.
  • uofaz71uofaz71 Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Z71 Tahoe. On the freeway today the oil pressure was sitting on 80 psi. I got home, turned it off, and checked it 5 minutes later. This time it was past 80, probably 100-110psi. Several hours later it had gone down to 70 psi. I check the amount of oil and it is dead on. I figured the sensor was probably broken, but it’s moving around a lot for that. Use 10W-30 Motor1 full synthetic in AZ summer.

Any idea on the cause?
  • jay_24jay_24 Posts: 536
    The Battery is dead on our 2003 Tahoe. Given its 5 years old and hasn't been started in 3 weeks, I'm not too suprised. Any suggestiosn on replacement battery? Is there anything special in the replacement procedure?

2003 LS with power locks and security system

--Jay
  • mholtmholt Posts: 1
    Have used the round cell batteries sold at COSTCO. Two cars have them in service four 4 years and one we use in a motor sailer. They are leak proof, costly but of good quality.
    Mike Holt