Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Tahoe

Comments

• As i finished up a 75 mile trip, i came to a stop sign(slowing to a stop, of course) and once stopped, my RPM gauge started spasming from 200-800rpm. Make long story short, it has gotten worse now, even doing it when I just start it in the morning, actually died on me twice now due to it dropping so low. Runs fine when given some acceleration. Something to deal with fuel possibly? Fuel filter on frame replaced and still no luck.
  • 73shark73shark Posts: 325
    Check your fuel pressure.
  • Thanks for the reply :) I just heard back from the auto shop i took it to (just a local guy with small shop. heard good things). Needs throttle body rebuilt. $250. I've never had to deal with that before, so i didn't have a price to go off of, but i figured it wasn't horrible considering it's still only half of a new one if not less (i think). The guy seemed nice anyway and has a chevy p/u w/ a 350 too, so i trusted him. Hope this helps someone. Btw, haven't got it back yet, but will post as the outcome of the performance.
  • I got it back. It idles smoother than when I bought it (I bought it 3 yrs. ago with 163k on it...got 198k now). Very please with the work done. Costed about $222 for parts and labor. Check the price of the kit before you have someone do it though. Also, find out how long it takes someone to do it, check around. This will save you some money. :D
    I know that throttle bodies get carboned up from intake reversion which causes idle problems but am curious as to what part(s) wear out that would require rebuilding?

Did he show you the bad parts or explain what happened?
  • No, he didn't tell me what was wrong. I was just wanting it fixed and it is unlike me not to ask what was wrong and see what he replaced. Last night I returned to school after that 75 mile trip I take every weekend, and I sat an let it idle for about 10-15 minutes (in drive, cause i was talking to someone), and it spasmed a couple of times. It made me wonder if he did a good job. Do you think it needs to go back to the shop?
    Hard to say since we don't know what he did the first time.
  • Ya that's true. I listened to it for a few minutes this afternoon while it idled. It wasn't completely 100% smooth, but close i suppose. I haven't seen it spasm like it did the other night thank goodness. But I don't know if that means it's ok or it will get worse. Guess it would be easy to know that if we knew what he did. I'll call him this weekend. Thanks for the reply :)
  • I have been thru the fuse busses (?) per the owners manuals and can't find the problem. It[they] just stopped working. The switches have never given any indication of poor contacts, and the rear blower just stopped - no indications nor odd sounds.

Any suggestions?

Pls advise.
  • Good day
    I have had a direct drain on my battery on my 97 Tahoe since I bought it in 99. Was never a great problem before now but I am out of town with more traveling and it sits for 4 or 5 days at a time and the battery will not be strong enough to turn it over. Any Ideas? Also Just drove it back from Vig. over thanksgiving and it started losing power, we could let it sit for twenty minutes and it would seem fine. Do the reg. maintenice oil at 3000, replaced tranny at 70,000. Replace battery every two years (New one in Nov. this year, put in two alternators, last one less than a year ago. Intake manifold gasket, fuel pump, fuel sensor, rotors, brakes, brakes...(rear drums keep heat checking the shoes. Any ideas would help greatly.
    Thanks, have a great day
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    Check the resistor bank, in the plenum, which is what drops the voltage and gives the blower motor different fan speeds.
    You'll need to put an ammeter on the battery, so that you can monitor the current drain. Then start unplugging fuses and relays, to determine which circuit(s) are causing the drain. Extremely helpful to have factory wiring diagram to know what each of the fuses power, when and what turns on different functions.

This is a very tedious job, but the only way you'll find what the problem is. Could be a hundred things, but for instance, could be a rear heater fan is on low speed, could be a seat motor is stuck on, could be one of the computers which would normally be powered on all the time has excessive current drain.
  • Are the holes drilled in a 04 tahoe z71 for a 3rd row seat that has barn doors? Thanks
    Not sure, always bought with the third seat in it.

Why don't you just lay on your back under the vehicle in the back. You'll be able to look right up and answer the question definitively. You could also pull up the carpet and check from the top, but looking underneath it would be easier and quicker.
    Based on what other folks have said in the past, I'd say no.
  • hi new to forum
    dont know if posted b4 but i need help. im planning to put and aftermarket deck on my 03 tahoe bose system but i dont know wat wire harness to use i wunt one dat is cheap and it works tanx
    Check with Crutchfield. They can answer your question.
  • ach33ach33 Posts: 2
    I have a 04 tahoe Z71. I had the instrument panel changed out which is something they said may happen. When the dealership does this they have to do some re-programing. This all seemed to go well but about 2 weeks after I got a "check engine" light. Had the code read and it pointed to bank 1 sensor 1. I changed the sensor and the light cleared for about 1 week then came back on. Had code read again and the same thing bank 1 sensor 1. Swapped out the sensor I had just changed with another new one and this time the light will not clear. I had the code read by a friend with a high end scanner and it too points to the O2 sensor but it also states that the sensor is not seeing the correct voltage at startup. The sensors I have installed came from Auto Zone. Is it possible that these sensor do not work well with the GM vehicle.
    Could be or could be that you need the diagnostic tree in the factory service manual to fully troubleshoot the problem. The DTCs just get you to the area of the problem and don't necessarily tell you what has failed.
  • ach33ach33 Posts: 2
    What if it says that the O2 sensor is not getting the correct voltage at startup. Is there anything in particular that may cause this.