Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Tahoe

Comments

• jpfltawjpfltaw Posts: 43
    My 2000 Silverado P/U does the same thing, dealer has yet to figure it out.

really tiring when taking a 1200 mile trip. Had the loose steering and they replaced the rack, but the wandering remains.
  • drew_drew_ Posts: 3,382
    We have just the discussion topic for your 2WD and 4WD questions. Please check out the 4WD and AWD systems explained discussion topic for more information. Specifically, you may want to read this post of mine:
    drew_ Feb 5, 2001 8:24pm

Remember that traction control can only make use of whatever traction that the tires have, whereas four wheel drive can double the amount of usable traction (only when accelerating) because of the extra two drive wheels. You can leave the system in "auto 4WD" at all times since it is 2WD only until slippage is detected, at which point power is transfered to the front wheels as well. There is no fuel savings by leaving it in 2WD mode.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accesories message boards
  • jgmilbergjgmilberg Posts: 872
    I added one to my Yukon XL. It's a Keenwood unit using a PIE protocol converter to run it through the factory head unit controls. Works great, but if you have On Star it messes it up. I am looking into using a factory(GM) style cd changer in hopes of reviving the use of On Star. I got the setup from rickwood radio. http://www.rickwoodradio.com/ The guys were great and service was fast. If you have the aux tape deck you will need a "y" connector to still use it, and they have those too.
  • punjabpunjab Posts: 102
    Drew (and others)

I strongly disagree with your suggestion to "leave in auto4wd at all times". I will often use the autotrac on both my Tahoe and my Silverado in the rain and snow and it works beautifully. However, there are many conditions in everyday driving where you wouldn't want the additional wear and tear (and stress on tires, drivetrain etc...) Anyone that has left the autotrac on and tried to pull into a parking stall, or make a tight, low speed turn knows the feeling of the autotrac kicking in and the wheels resisting and pushing against the driver. The autotrac usually won't engage in everyday use, but when it does and is not needed, it just reduces the life of the 4wd system.

As far as fuel economy, even the owner's manual indicates the decrease of fuel economy with the Autotrac engaged (it is probably no more than a 1 mpg loss though).
  • wayne29wayne29 Posts: 6
    My '01 Tahoe is starting to acqire a number of chips in the paint on the lower rear fender from rocks being thrown by the tires. Does anyone have a solution for this? I would like to avoid installing after-market mudflaps, etc. I recall at onetime there was a transparent impact resistant tape that could be applied to such areas. Anyone familiar with this product?
  • safe1safe1 Posts: 16
    The clear plastic film you refer to can be purchased at Performance Products. Access their website at "www.performanceproducts.com".
  • er2ver2v Posts: 12
    Thanks again to everyone for their answers. From what I've read, heard, and seen the Yukon/Tahoe is proving to be the best choice in a crowded field.
  • jeffdjeffd Posts: 8
    Apparently, there are no changes in vehicle. some of the packages are put together differently but after two separate searches at dealership it appears to be the identical truck.
  • This is a weird problem that has happened to me 3 times now in the past 3 months. I try to start it in the morning (not too cold and no rain or high humidity) it starts for about 2 seconds then shuts off. The first time I had it towed in to the dealer it wouldn't start for the tow truck guy or the dealer. after a couple of hours it started just fine. The dealer found that the computer logged a code noting a failure had occurred in a "module" ? so they replaced the module.
    Second time it happened it wouldn't start for the tow truck driver or the dealer at first then later started right up. This time it left no "codes", they kept the car for a week and couldn't get the failure to repeat.
    Last week it happened again --300 miles from home while camping!!! We were towed to a nearby town where guess what ? ..... it started. We kept the Yukon running and didn't shut it off till we got home. I took it to my dealer a few days ago and he can't get the failure to repeat and no "failure codes" logged in the computer. I am absolutely perplexed as what to do in this situation. I'm in the mountains alot in the winter and if this happens there I'd be royally %#@!ed ! Has any one heard of anything like this ? or have any suggestions Thanks for your replies, Barry
  • dustyonedustyone Posts: 262
    Same thing happened to my wife's '99 Tahoe at 1200 miles after returning from a weekend trip. Made it home late at night. Next morning would not start. After many attemptsto start the truck, I called for a tow truck. Dealer replaced the main computer module (the one on the drivers side, just aft of the empty battery tray, $400.00). The problem has not repeated itself in 14000 miles.
    Since it would not start after setting overnight, I know my problem was not heat related, whereas it seems that yours is. Have the dealer to replace all the computers if it is still under warranty. Good luck
  • campo57campo57 Posts: 94
    what you might also do is have them keep the truck and use it while hooked up to a real time monitor (forgot the correct name of this tool). What it does it catch problems that don't register a DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Code) in the computer memory. I had a problem with my '92 Bonneville (turned out to be the crankshaft position sensor) where the car would start running rough and stall on me, then it would either start right up or I'd have to wait a while and then it would start. This problem didn't leave a code set in the computer memory but once they hooked up the real time diagnostic system to it and ran the car, when it started to act up, they found out what component wasn't within specs and changed out that part.

Campo57
  • stump21stump21 Posts: 41
    Can anyone tell me how the Z71 suspension feels on the road? I love the look of the option but I don't want the ride of a lumberwagon. Any comments would be appreciated.
  • araftcoaraftco Posts: 23
    I have been so agitated since I bought my DXL about the on-star crap. It's a great idea but just needs to be integrated with a portable cell phone. I had my local cellular provider install a hands free kit for my regular cell phone and every thing is separated. They said no way can be integrated with the on-star. Apparently they were wrong.

Take a look at this company I found this morning. This supposedly works with any on-star equipped car with Nokia 5100/6100 phones and works with the radio just like on-star does.

http://www.uhltronics.com/

• 3lakeswi3lakeswi Posts: 77
    I know this has been asked over and over again, but does anyone know of any "NEW" for 2002s - colors, options, changes, etc.?

Also, has anyone heard or do you know if eventually the same Z71 package that is now offered on the Tahoe/Sub will be fitted to the Yukon/YXL.

Yes, to answer stump21's question I think the Z71 package is significantly stiffer than the ride in my 2001 Yukon with Autoride. I test drove a Z71 Tahoe and love the styling, true "AT" tires on 17" wheels and things but the ride is more "trucky" - which it should be. What's up with no heated seats in the Z71? In Northern Wisconsin I would not even consider leather without heat.
  • jeff331jeff331 Posts: 21
    We just took our '01 Z71 on a 1600 mile round trip (interstate) and thought the ride was almost
    as good as our Honda Accord. I haven't spent any extended time in a Tahoe with Autoride, so
    I can't compare. Make sure the tire pressure is at the recommended 30 lbs. Ours came from
    the dealer with 43 pounds.
  • stump21stump21 Posts: 41
    Thanks for the Z71 info, 3lakeswi and jeff331. I have found some conflicting info about the Z71 package. Does the option include leather seats or cloth? I know it is an LS with some off road enhancements so I was under the impression it was cloth. Edmunds says cloth but GM buy power says leather. Thanks!
  • btenbten Posts: 28
    The Z71 comes only with leather seats. They are the version that is optional in the LS configuration. 6 way power, no memory, no heat.
  • cwaynecwayne Posts: 80
    Overall I have been pleased with my 2001 yukon 5.3 2wd. I now have 4500 mi
    I live in Florida and go to North Carolina for the summer. Gas mileage from 12,5
    to 20.5 . The ride is smooth, has plenty of power, low wind noise.
    The air conditioning went out last week along with the right rear window motor..
    dealer replaced some type of switch on air and motor on window.
    I was not pleased when my new yukon came with Fireestone tires, but they ride
    smooth with low tire noise
    CWAYNE
  • subliminalsubliminal Posts: 29
    I just received a referral incentive from my Chevy salesman. The first 10 or 20 (I forget) referrals will get GM Employee pricing (significantly below invoice). I get $100 gift certificate (just to be up front about this). But I know the GM Employee pricing is pretty good. So I wanted to pass it along.

I don't know about any other restrictions, I assume it is delivery from dealer stock. But last time I was there they had alot of burbs and hoes.

Email me if interested. The dealer is in Framingham MA.

Subliminal
  • jgilchjgilch Posts: 2
    It seems there is some major issue with the rear drivers side window, motor or switch not sure which. GM isn't saying anything. I had it replaced on my 2000.5 Tahoe after 2,500 miles and it went out again two months later. I haven't bothered to replace again. I am waiting for them to figure it out so I don't do this every couple of months.

JGilch
  • metmdxmetmdx Posts: 255
    This sounds too good. Is it only for the dealer in Framingham or any Chevy dealer (I live in NY)? Why would they in essence "give away" vehicles to non-GM employees? If this is legit, please supply your e-mail address so I can contact you directly.
  • glinda49glinda49 Posts: 15
    We have just purchased a 1997 Yukon SLE 4 door and in my search on-line for cargo liners I have been asked weather the body is the old or new style. How do I tell? Is it the VIN # or something that determines that? Also, can anyone suggest a good place on-line to order custom cargo mats or liners(which is best?)at the best price? Thanks for any help you can provide.
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    Yours is the old body style. The new came out in '99 on the trucks and '00 on the Yukon.

This is a good place to start looking...they are not the cheapest....but they have good stuff.

http://www.premiermotoring.net/cgi-bin/webc.exe/st_main.html?catid=621

• airball50airball50 Posts: 13
    I posted a similar message on the aftermarket forum, but Tahoe owners out there have a Borla catback system on their new body style Tahoe or Yukon? If so, does it fit right? My does not and it creates an annoying rattle against the frame. The installer went out of business and I cannot get any help from Borla. Does anyone have a different system? I might just take mine off and put a new system on.
  • califjohncalifjohn Posts: 101
    Any good muffler shop can fix that rattle. You will pay a labor charge for it but it will be way less expensive than junking that high cost Borla system and putting on another catback. Check with several high quality shops in your area, who knows you might even find one that will bend a bracket for you at no charge!
  • subliminalsubliminal Posts: 29
    I think it is simply overstock and change of model year. I speculate this is GMS not GMO pricing, meaning, the dealer still make a couple pecent. Just a smaller holdback.

You must buy it from this dealer through my salesman and be one of the first (I forget) 10 or 20 folks to sign a deal under this plan.

If you want to take a drive to MA it might be worth a grand or more.

Email if you like (sorry I forgot that in my post):

mdombros@us.oracle.com

Subliminal
  • metmdxmetmdx Posts: 255
    Sub,
    What's the difference between GMS and GMO? I'm not familiar with GM terminology (I currently own a Honda).Is this pricing at/above/below invoice? I have relatives in the Boston area, so if the pricing is worth the drive, I might do a doubleheader.
    Thanks!
  • ernstajernstaj Posts: 1
    How do I contact writer #1072 for details regarding the discount he wrote about. I'm ready for that offer!
  • btenbten Posts: 28
    You might try:

http://www.autoseattle.com/husky.htm

I found they cost less than premier and less for shipping.

bten

• kmurray66kmurray66 Posts: 28
    I'm in the market for a Tahoe and just read (Cars.com) that Ford has increased the rebate on the Expedition from $500 to $2,000. I'm hoping GM will react with a general rebate of $1,000 or so. Any thoughts?