Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Tahoe

Comments

• mitch43mitch43 Posts: 10
    I recall that through an order number on a factory ordered Yukon, you can track the status of the order, including getting a TPW. Does anyone recall the web site or how to do it? Thanks in advance.
  • dustyonedustyone Posts: 262
    see http://www.gmsuv.s5.com
    for the info that you seek, plus alot of other goodies
  • onebuconebuc Posts: 28
    Close to purchasing a new Tahoe, and trying to decide the color. I saw a metallic blue Tahoe, with a gray bottom recently at a dealer (similar to a Ford's tan Eddie Bauer). There was no mention of the pait on the sticker only the metallic blue, there also is no such option. Has anyone elseseen a truck with this two tone color and can I order mine this way. Thanks Terry
  • I am considering leasing a 2001 yukon. I have read posts regarding the 2000's and it's problems. I would like some input from town hall members on their experience with the 2001 yukon ST. My tolerance to recurrent problems and B.S. answers from service managers is slim. Please advise

Charles H.
    B.., LA.
  • I bought my 4WD Tahoe new in 1996 and have had a number of problems with it. Replaced front seals three times;two pinion seals;have had leaky rear window ( I fixed the problem--the dealer couldn't); entire seal around rear window and tailgate had to be replaced;three blower fans for ac/heater;alternator (went out 300 miles from home,leaving me stranded); vibration at 65-70 mph resulting in three new sets of tires (vibration still there!)new battery; three brake jobs with new rotors and pads; windshield washer motor circuit went bad; transmission value stuck causing vehicle to surge forward in first gear causing loud knocking noise; "popping noise" (loud!) in catalytic converter; as if that weren't enough, the planetary gear and transmission completely failed last weekend and is being rebuilt now. Has anyone ever heard the word "lemon"? My repair bills are at least$5000 and I'm still counting. Get this--the mileage on my car is only 86,512!!! And the dealer wants me to look at a NEW Tahoe?!?! Get real........Has anyone out there got a car that can beat mine?
  • soyuzsoyuz Posts: 1
    I have read a great deal about the mechanical problems with 2000 year Tahoes. I am considering buying a 2001 Tahoe in the next month or so and would like to know if the 2001 model year has worked out the kinks in the Tahoe. Has anyone had any problems with their 2001's? Should I wait another year?
  • After months of researching and debating, we finally took the plunge ... we bought a 2001 Yukon this afternoon.
    I think we got a great deal? MSRP was $42,390 and we took the vehicle home for $37,500. I'm pretty sure the invoice on the vehicle is $37,100.
    This Yukon (Storm Gray Metallic) is loaded to the gills, it's got everything.
    For what we got in this Yukon, we would have paid close to $45,000 for a Sequoia Limited. I couldn't justify that.
    Well, so far, so good ... we love it!
  • Do NOT lease a Yukon! There are really no good GMC lease deals, so you're better off buying one.
    As mentioned above, I just bought a brand new 2001 Yukon for $37,500. Our payments are $550 per month. We put $10,000 down and our finance rate is 7.4%.
    The business manager told me it's foolish to lease one. The monthly payments are astronomical.
    If you can, I would advise you to buy. Unless, of course, you have some incredible preference to lease. But I've heard, with Yukons, there are no advantages.

P.S. - Love the Yukon, though!
  • ejwintejwint Posts: 9
    My brand new 2001 Tahoe has an annoying whistling noise in the right front area, ? right lower corner of the windshield, at speeds above 50 miles/hour. The door and windshield seem to be tight. Any thoughts? Thanks.
  • cmr239cmr239 Posts: 12
    The two tone option on Tahoe/Yukons was only available in year 2000. For some reason GM saw fit to drop the option after only the first year of the new body style. I believe the colors ONEBUC is talking about are Indigo Blue with Pewter on the bottom. Our 2000 Yukon is this color scheme. We where waiting to order a '01 model, then found out there would be no two tone option in '01.
  • larsonemlarsonem Posts: 7
    I'm reading all this stuff about people having problems with new trucks and all. I have a 2001 Tahoes LT with just about every option but a sun roof. I've had it about 5 weeks and put about 1600 miles on it so far. It's a great truck and I have no complaints and have experienced no problems to date. It was manufactured in Janesville, WI. I traded in a 1999 Tahoes LT from Janesville with 22K miles on it. It too was an excellent truck, however I liked the new body style better and my dealer and I were able to work out a good deal for both of us for me to do the trade. I liked the old truck, but really like the new one. With the 1999, the only thing I had done to it was to get the knockouts taken out of the lower control arms for a front end alignment under warranty, instead of me paying to have them taken out later. I thought the front tire wear was above normal at the first tire rotation so I asked to have it checked at my expense, with it being covered under warranty if it wasn't within specs. The Tech took it for a drive and said it pulled slightly, so they went ahead and did it. If my 2001 is as good a vehicle as the 1999, I will be extremely satisfied.
  • fclspatfclspat Posts: 61
    I have a 2000 Yukon SLT that I bought in April 2000. I paid 700 over invoice, which at the time was a great deal. In fact, for a metro NYC dealer it still is a great deal.

I have read about all the problems people have had with their truck... but I am happy to report that after 14,000 miles the only service my truck needed was the intermediate steering shaft replacement (where the U-joint on the shaft produced a ciunking sound). The job took under one hour.

The truck is absolutely phenominal. I highly recommend it.

Sil
  • zeddzeddzeddzedd Posts: 9
    I would check the passenger side for cold air leaks. Seems they can't figure it out at GM
  • philw2philw2 Posts: 36
    cloth or leather. Send me an email. I am a buyer ASAP. Thanks.
    My dealer has had my new Tahoe 3 times to fix the cold air leaks into the passenger side.

No success to date.

Dealer has tried many things including stuffing foam into the passenger side plastic guards under the dash. This transferred the problem to the drivers side.

The last attempt had the entire dash and covering removed (4 days in the shop) without success.

Other owners I know have the same problem and decided to live with it.
    Not me. They will tire of seeing me at their door.

Enough is enough! Does anyone know the answer.
    Passenger side cold air leaks

Message 611 by Evanse
    Dealer claims cold air leaks needed to cool OnStar module

Message 649 by beersnob
    Dealer claims GM designed cold air leaks so carbon monoxide would not buildup in the truck

Message 531 by jgmilberg
    message 456 by illiniyuk1

Who are your dealers trying to kid?
    Air leaks to cool OnStar? Get real

Air leaks to prevent CO in the truck? What do they think is going to happen when you get an exhaust leak in the engine compartment?
    Guess what? It will all end up in the inside of the truck through these leaks.

I had a windshield washer fluid leak that sprayed on the manifold when I tried to wash the windshield and the smell was in the truck right now.

This type of dealer response should be reported to GM

Some dealers think they can tell you anything and make you believe it.
  • jgmilbergjgmilberg Posts: 872
    I have a Yukon XL with a moon roof,onstar, manual climate controls, and NO COLD AIR LEAKS. It was built in Mexico. I made a post earlier about a possible cause, the cabin air filter under the dash near the glove box, maybe the cover for the filter is not on correctly or tight enough. Who knows!?

The dealers are all full of it and GM really could give a care less. Everyone who has called the Chevy or GMC number gets the shrug off. People say they will call and never do, you ask them a question as to why the dealer can't fix it and they call the dealer for the answer!! What will that get them or you but the same BS the dealer gave the first time.

I looked here to see if it was even listed as a potential problem, but didn't see it any place. what a surprise. See if you can find it. http://si2kgmd:gmd0702d@service.gm.com/

Good luck to all. At the very least we could crash their server!

I never made any claim that I had the dealer tell me such a story nor am I that gullable! Here is the post, show me what you are talking about. I sat on the passenger side of my truck since then in below zero weather for a long trip, 250 miles, with no cold air on that side or from anywhere. I don't know if the cold air was from the window being cracked open in the back, I was in the driveway at the time and my brother in law was playing with the windows, and didn't close it all the way. I have not felt it since, and it was not like the other posts where the people felt "wind" coming form under the dash even when the fan was off. That is a definite leak from somewhere.

The post:
    #531 of 720 Cold Air On Pass. Side by jgmilberg Feb 14, 2001 (01:27 am) I have read on the Yukon XL board about a problem with cold outside air entering the cabin and making for some cold legs and feet. Has anyone with a Yukon/Tahoe had the same problem? Was wondering because the vehicles are virtually the same in the front. They are
    however built at different plants and this may have a lot or a little to do with it. I have a Yukon XL and the wife hasn't complaind about it as of yet, but I did notiice a slight chill on that side.

• The "White God" is finally sitting in the driveway. After months of pouring over this excellent site (thanks to all who posted which helped us shop effectively) my wife finally got her 2001 Yukon last week. Now my turn starts with all the "stuff" you gotta buy for it. She insists it has to have wheel flares (small ones-those on the Silverado/Sierra will not do) like the 2500 Yukon XL, but the dealer says $200 EACH!! Has anyone found any aftermarket flares which fit this truck? A local aftermarket parts dealer says the low-profile Street Flares will fit, but I don't believe him because they appear too wide to clear the rear bodyside moldings, and his catalog actually only lists them for the Tahoe. Any recomendations would be appreciated.
  • Purchased 2001 Yukon in 12/00. Previously owned a 1996. New Yukon has pulled to right and left. In dealer 6 times. Still follows cracks in road. 96 would stay on the road. '01 Yukon is terrible on road. If can't be fixed, going to get rid of it or exercise lemon law. Is anyone having this trouble? Is it just the "new" and "improved" handling? Hate it. Please let me know. Thanks
    Steve6666 Steering Problems. I just took my new 2001 Tahoe on a 3000 Mile trip With a boat trailer in tow. It was great! No regrets on the Tahoe. The steering is fast and precise.

My impression of the steering is:
    You need to pay attention to the road at all times.
    You better not try to tune the radio while driving 75MPH or you might wind up in the ditch.

If you are accustomed to sloppy steering you will find that the Tahoe/Yukon is very precise and you can get into trouble turning too short or too fast. My wife likes to drive with both hands on the wheel and play the wheel back and forth, the fast steering makes for a jerky ride for the passenger in this situation. She is learning.