Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Tahoe

Comments

• I noticed this last night ('01 Tahoe). There is no light behind my icon either. It sure would have made
    it easier to find in order to turn on the overhead lights. You wouldn't think something like this would
    make it past everyone in the engineering department.
  • ryanbabryanbab Posts: 7,240
    i have flares and the 285/75/R16's will stick out a little past the fender. With flares its much less.
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    how much is "a little past the fender"? And how much is "much less"?
  • Does anyone have any pictures of there Tahoe/Yukon with 16x8 rims? How much further do they stick out? If by chance they are on 265/75's all the better, but any pictures of 16x8 would be helpful!
  • My husband and I test drove a Tahoe this evening. The Tahoe I have in mind is the LT package, without a tailgate, sunroof, or third seat (what they call the 1SM package).

According to the salesman, it's the "base LT, with barely anything on it." Um, yeah okay. Anyway, he tried to talk us into an LS because "what's the point if you're not going to get the goodies." Basically what it came down to was they didn't have the Tahoe we wanted on the premises.

We would have to order it (which I knew already), and why would we wait 3 months for a vehicle we might not get (in the salesman's words). He said that if we order a Tahoe in the next couple months we may not be able to get it because it's so popular and they don't make enough to go around.

I've never heard this before. Is he for real? He was really annoyed when I told him the options I wanted, or didn't want. He also told me "good luck finding a Tahoe for under 40k." I've priced out the Tahoe on carsdirect and it comes to roughly 36k, although I didn't tell him that because I wouldn't buy a candy bar from him.

Any thoughts?

P.S. Is it really necessary for them to retain a copy of our driver's license?
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    bkjohnson...you may want to consider copying your post over in the ...

in2dadark "Inconsiderate Salespeople...." Nov 9, 2001 7:54pm

I'm sure the people there can answer those questions...

One question, why did they retain a copy of your driver's license?
    3 MONTHS?

From the time i ordered to the time my silverado was delivered it was less than a month (27 or 28 days cant remember off hand)
  • fortopfortop Posts: 239
    dealer's lots, I don't think that it should take longer than 6 weeks - 2 months to get a new vehcile on order. You can confirm by checking with other dealers.
    I have test driven several vehicles from different dealers in the past few years and they all kept a copy of my driver's license. I would theorize that they need your identification while you have your driver's license on your person while you are out driving their vehicle. Also, if you get in an accident and don't tell anyone and they discover that fact later, they can track you down for liability purposes. Of course, you can ask them why they keep a copy of your driver's license. Considering that we have to routinely use our driver's license number to cash checks and verify other business transactions, I don't think the dealers are unreasonable on this issue.
    I would also be curious why you want a base LT rather than an LS. What are the features you
    want that come standard with the LT and not the LS? As I recall, it is mostly the trim that differs (like body color side molding and front bumper pad.) If trim is the issue, I would compare the Yukon base SLE at a lower price (I think.)
    I would check here at Edmunds for True Market Value (TMV) for an estimate of what you should pay in your area for the vehicle built as you want. I think there are still dealers that will sell at or near invoice. Here is one I stumbled on while reading this month's copy of Hemmings: www. bruceglueck.com in Jasper, Florida - they advertise $29 over "true GM factory invoice" - might be worth an email to get some information.
    Dealers and their salesmen have a bad reputation because of experiences like you cite above, but most are more professional. Car salesperson is not a job that most of us would want, but if we had that job I think most of us would do our best to get the customer what he/she wants. I bought 3 new vehicles in the past 3 years, and I prefer "just the facts" salespeople - don't really care to discuss my family, my job, my hobbies, etc. Too bad the big 3 backed away from their plans to direct market to the consumers.
    Good Luck. Let us know how the search goes.
  • It took 5 months to build my Yukon XL!! I got almost everything. I opted for the 2500 series with 3.73:1 rear axle and second row bench, and 6.0L engine. Axle, engine, and second row seating were the only options I wanted to let go as standard, otherwise it's loaded.

I would personally try another dealership if they are trying to push you into something you don't want. Have they tried looking for one on another lot and doing a dealer trade? With financing at 0.0% until Nov. 18th I would try to locate what you are looking for online, then call the dealer to make sure it's still available before you make the trip. If you are happy with the service from the dealership you went to then just get it serviced there, and buy elsewhere.

The dealer may have a point as to the availability, the factory sunroof adds time because they try to bunch them up and build them at around the same time, it uses a different roof panel, and headliner. You may want to consider an aftermarket unit from ASC/Hollandia they are the company that makes the sunroofs for GM and have some extra features that the factory one does not, like one touch close, and auto close after ten seconds of the ignition being turned off, both features I wish were on my factory unit.

It is now getting into the later months of production on the 2002 models, so he may have a valid concern. Sometimes the dealer will sit on an order because GM will not let them order any more vehicles until the get rid of so many of the same model you want. It gets sticky so get with a dealer you trust and can deal with.
  • I have been looking at the Tahoe's and was wondering if it is worth getting the locking differential? It seems like it would help in slippery conditions but I also thought that the Auto-Trac system would take care of this.
  • I found my 2002 Denali completely through internet resources. Long story short, the dealer whom I went to for a physical look and test drive told me the truck (pewter/pewter w/o sunroof) I wanted was nowhere to be found within a 250 mile radius. He suggested that I buy one with a sunroof, because he had one on the way from the factory. What would you expect him to say?

I used the GM Buy Power site to locate the vehicle:

http://www2.gmbuypower.com/app/gmbp/us/en/gmbp/gmbp/stage.thtml

You can even view the window sticker!

After 30 minutes or searching by city name, I found 5 of the EXACT truck I wanted. This is where the fun started. I then proceeded to call the dealers, asking for the internet salesman. I then told them MY deal - I'm calling 5 dealers, the first one to accept $500 over dealer invoice (which I found on Edmunds.com and carsdirect.com) gets the sale - take it or leave it.

The 2nd one took it. The 3rd, 4th and 5th were given the opportunity to better it, which they would not.

Absolutely the best car buy experience I've ever had. The dealer even called me a week after delivery to make sure I was satisfied.

Rich

2k2denali

• oxx93oxx93 Posts: 67
    Can anyone give an idea of what to expect on a lease for either a Tahoe LT or Yukon SLT? I am trying to decide on a 36 or 48 mo. lease and would like to hear what people have been able to get. Thanks in advance for your responses.
  • 1. I have 285-75-16 on 8" wheels with 4.5" back spacing on a 2002 Tahoe LT, and the edge of the tire is flush with the fender well. NO Fender Flares....
    2. Lemlers.....You will want the locking diff if you plan on doing any offroad driving. When in the situation of say.....Left front, Right rear tires of the ground...without locking diff your screwed..unless you can get a run at it of course.
  • I'm looking to order a new Yukon SLE to replace my aging 95 Astro van within the next several months and have a couple of questions about options:

1) Are there any appreciable difference between the 4.8 and 5.3 engines in terms of pick-up, gas mileage, durability?

2) What's the difference between the two axle rations-- 3.42 std and 3.73 optional? Gas mileage?

3) Are the third row seats worth having? Usually only my wife and I will be using the vehicle.

4) Does anyone have any experience ordering from Southern GM in Shelbyville, Tn.? They advertise $200 over invoice on all their vehicles

5) Any other advise would be most appreciated!

Thanks.
  • Do you have any pictures of your Tahoe with 16x8 Rims?
  • I've got a Yukon XL but here's what I can offer:

1) I'd go with the 5.3L. If you ever decide to sell, you'll get a better price. If you decide to tow, you'll have more HP and torque. I've got the 5.3 in my YXL and get 18-19 mpg highway (with the Tahoe/Yukon you'll get more). No idea what the 4.8 gives you.

2) 3.42 will give you better gas mileage (not engine dependant) than the 3.73 ratio. The 3.73 will make towing easier and give you more towing capacity.

3) If you want to ever carry someone back there (from what I hear it's a bit tight) then opt for the seats. In the YXL, the 3rd seat is standard and the first thing I did was take it out and store it in my shed. If I ever need it, I can put it in but I really don't ever see that happening.

That's about all I can help with regarding your questions. If you have any others please feel free to post them.

Campo57
  • Thanks. Is the 3rd seat fairly light and easy to store? My Astro has removable seats, but pretty heavy and bulky--one reason I'm looking at the Yukon.
    you pay more for the 5.3, so I don't see where that makes a difference.
    Regarding resale, the real question is how you are going to use your vehicle and how the next owner will use the vehicle. Personally, I would never buy a used vehicle used for towing - I think that towing puts a strain on the vehicle, and who knows what kind of trailer was towed?
    If you like to drive fast, get the 5.3 and 3.73 rear. However, this is a big, heavy UTE, so it won't get away from a dead stop fast unless you give it some hefty gas, regardless of a 4.8 or 5.3 engine.
    I drive easy and like good gas mileage, so my next UTE will probably be a 4.8 and 3.42 rear. That combination has to get better gas mileage than the 5.3 and 3.73 combo, but I have never owned a vehicle so equipped. Sometime in the future we may have increasing gas prices again, or maybe a gas "shortage", and in that case I think the 4.8/3.42 will be more in demand. A 2WD will get better gas mileage than a 4WD.
    The dealers I talked to said they have a hard time selling used Tahoes/Yukons without the third seat, so you might as well get one. I keep the third seats in my 2002 Yukon because it leaves just the right amount of space for grocery bags so they don't roll around in the cargo area when driving. However, the third seat has no provisions for a footwell, so you sit directly on the floor - only useful for very small children or very "vertically challenged" adults.
    I don't know about Shelbyville (isn't that next to Springfield on the Simpsons TV show?), but that bruceglueck site I mentioned in a post above sounds better ($29 over invoice).
    I have a 2002 2WD SLT with all options (5.3 and 3.73) except trailer hitch and sunroof. So far no problems since the end of July. I'm hoping to squeeze 18 mpg city on this next tankful, but don't expect to get that kind of mileage in these big beasts unless you really work at it.
    Good luck. Don't forget to post back and let us know how your search works out.
    I have a 5.3 "ethanol capable" engine, but I am burning regular gas. Does anybody else have a clean exhaust pipe? I mean I have no carbon buildup at all after 1500 miles of driving. All other late model GM vehicles I have owned have plenty of carbon inside the pipe. As far as I can find out, the only difference between the regular gas and ethanol 5.3 is in the fuel lines and fuel injectors. Maybe I should put some Mazola in the gas tank and see what happens ;o)
  • I'm more concerned with gas mileage than resale value, since I usually keep vehicles for 7 or 8 years. It looks like the smaller engine gets an additional 1-2 mpg. I'm also not planning on towing anything in the future. Unless the 4.8 feels underpowered, I'll probably go with it.
  • minikinminikin Posts: 389
    If you think a 4-cyl Accord automatic is quick you'll probably be happy with the 4.8L; otherwise sorry.
    -- Don
    The 4.8 is 275 hp and 290 ft-lb of torque, the 5.3 is 285 hp and 325 ft-lb of torque. I don't think that an extra 10 hp would be noticeable in daily driving, but only you can be the judge of that. If you go with the gas saving 3.42 rear end I think that the difference would be even less noticeable. If you can't find a 4.8 SUV, you can test drive and compare a 4.8 vs. 5.3 pickup.
    However, if you like to drive fast, every horse counts. The 5.3 is only another $700. Some say you can never have enough horsepower, but I don't plan on taking my SUV to the dragstrip.;o)
  • Just purchased a 2001 Tahoe from an auction, I can't tell whether it has the 4.8 or 5.3. How can I tell which it is.

It does have the tow package, if that is an automatic indicator of the larger engine, I just don't know.
    one of the letters in the Vin number will tell you which engine you have

Also my philosophy on engines

You can never have to much engine

Always better to have to much than to little never know when you will need it

Ryan
  • Which letter? And what letter indicates what? I thought the VIN might be able to tell me but I don't know what to look for.
    check the glove box for these codes

LR4 V8, 292", SFI (4.8 Liter)
    LM7 V8, 325", SFI (5.3 Liter)

I forget which letter the 5.3 is i think it is a T in the first like 3 or 5 digits of the vin.

Dont quote me on that
    just checked out carparts.com

T = 5.3 V-8
    V = 4.8 V-8

Hope thishelps

Ryan
  • Well, I'm used to driving a 4.3 liter V6 in my Astro so I'm sure either of these would feel like a hotrod by comparison. I noticed that there is also a 'dual fuel' version of the 5.3. Do you think it's worth considering? We don't have much ethonol in Georgia now, but who knows about the future--especially if we get the middle east mad at us again.
  • Comparing maximum HP and torque ratings gives incomplete and misleading info to compare these two engines in most practical driving situations.

I rarely needed more than 3,000 rpms to move my K1500 Suburbans ('94, '97, '99 & '01)along, even when towing a 4500# boat trailer in the Missouri Ozarks.

So...... I suggest you think about your normal use of the truck. If you're like me, the power output in the 2000 to 3000 rpm band is what's important; i.e., ability to hold highway speed without excessive downshifting.

Based on torque/HP curves on the GM Powertrain Website; http://www.gmpowertrain.com/

the 4.8L engine produces 270 ft-lb of torque at 2500 rpm. At the same RPM, the 5.3L produces 300 ft-lb (an 11% increase over the 4.8) and the 5.7 produces 320 ft-lb, an 18% increase over the 4.8).

I've not driven a 4.8, but I definitely notice the lower torque (pulling & speed holding power) of my 5.3L'01 compared to my 5.7L'99.... even though the 5.3L is rated 30 hp HIGHER.

I NEVER use the high end of the rpm band where the greater HP lives. So........... don't make up your mind on max rated HP stats alone.

Good luck.

Barry B

it doesn't cost any more. I have that engine in the 2002 Yukon and the nearest corn station is in New Mexico (I'm in AZ) so I don't think that I will ever use it. So far, no problems with the engine. Also, ethanol gets less mpg than gasoline - don't know if it is cheaper than gasoline. As stated above, the only difference I notice is a clean exhaust pipe, even running gasoline.
    On the 4.8 choice, unlike bberisford above I never tow and it sounds like you never will either - I keep my tach around 1000-1200 rpm most of the time (using cruise) below 55. Ryan is representative of the "get the most horsepower you can" school of thought. I outgrew that concept when I sold my Vette. Each to his or her own. What we need is a legitimate 4.8 Yukon or Tahoe owner posting here - the rest of us are just guessing.