Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Tahoe

Comments

• fortopfortop Posts: 239
    expect the EPA listed mileage -and better mileage if they really work at it. As I and others have posted above, you can beat the epa mileage but you can't drive the beast like a sports car.
    I would expect the 12/15 EPA mileage on the 2002 Denali, unless the driver was real careful.
    Regarding the Tahoe 2WD 4.8 and 3.42 I wouldn't expect much of an increase in gas mileage either - only about 3 MPG/over 15 mpg EPA city with careful driving - or a measly 20% + increase. ;o) But each to his or her own.
  • O.K., Someone please refresh my memory!!! What is GM doing about all of those rear window malfunctions that have happened with the Tahoes, Suburbans and Yukons. Mine quit this morning and now I'm miffed!!!! Anyone have one repaired and how much did it cost??

Bill
  • Well the day is here....My Yukon started down the assembly line today!! Hopefully I'll have it in two or three weeks...

Brian
  • I've got a 2000 Tahoe 2WD with the 5.3L and the lower axle. In 30,000 miles, worst tank I have gotten is 13.3 mpg and the best tank is 20.1 mpg. Generally average around 16.5 mpg and I keep track at just about every fill up. Just my two cents.
  • fortopfortop Posts: 239
    January Consumer Reports:
    City/Highway Compared to the Tahoe Mileage above
    VW Passat - 15/35
    Toyota Camray - 16/35
    Honda Accord - 15/34
    Nissan Altima - 15/32

Compared to the Tahoe Mileage above
    4.8 2WD 15/20
    4.8 4WD 14/17
    5.3 2WD 14/18
    5.3 4WD 14/17
    Doesn't look like much of a fuel economy advantage with the little cars compared to the big beasts in city driving.
  • re: 2002 tahoe. can anyone comment on the ride and handling qualities of the z71 version vs the standard lt version of the tahoe "on road" in everyday suburban driving. local dealer has no z71's to compare with.
  • poc322poc322 Posts: 22
    I have a 2001 Z71 Tahoe that is light pewter metallic. I've noticed the paint chips, and scratches really easy.(for example: if the someone opens their door onto the side of the car, not hard, but just let is rest on it, the paint chips. Plus i've noticed that when on the highway, that when rocks fly from my tires of other vechiles it chips the paint, bad.)
    Is anyone else experienced this, or is it just me. I've owned other vechiles in the past which were white, a hunter green, and a red, and never had this problem on any of them.
    I'm wondering if it is just the color, or the paint quality.
    Also does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix the chips and scratches?

In regards to the above gas mileage debate. I get about 12.8 in the city, and 16 on the highway.
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    I had something similar to you. However, with mine, you could see a faint shade of primer indicating areas where there was insufficient amount of paint. These areas would chip easily. The dealer repainted both sides underwarranty. The autobody shop did such an excellent job that I no longer have the famous GM orange peel.
  • My 2000 Tahoe has developed a knocking sound which appears to be coming from the left front. Seems more prevelant at low speeds, but doesn't do it all the time. Have about 19,000 miles. I saw some posts about a problem with an intermediate steering shaft. Any ideas if this is my problem? Wish I could be more specific with the symptoms, but has only been doing it for a week or so.
    Thanks
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    The symptoms of needing the intermediate steering shaft replaced is a knocking felt in the steering wheel when making low speed turns over an uneven road. It feels more like a clunk. AND it won't do it all the time.
  • cop8cop8 Posts: 1
    I ALSO HAVE A 2000 TAHOE LT 5.3 4WD THAT HAD A SIMILAR PROBLEM.THE SECURITY LIGHT WOULD COME ON FOR NO REASON &THAN GO OFF. WHEN TRYING TO START THE VEHICLE,IT WOULD CRANK LONGER THAN NORMAL,START,&THAN STALL. OTHER TIMES IT ACTED L
    IKE A DEAD BATTERY WITH NO RESPONSE AT ALL. MY DEALERSHIP HAS A GREAT SERVICE MANAGER &SERVICE DEPT. IT TURNS OUT THAT THERE IS A SERVICE BULLETIN ON THIS. THE PROBLEM IS A DEFECTIVE IGNITION SWITCH. HOPE THIS HELPS.
  • Took the Tahoe in for service today and they replaced the steering shaft. Pretty good on-line diagnosis! Thanks.
    Have been real pleased with the vehicle. So much so that when I had to replace an old Dodge Caravan this fall, I got a 2001 Silverado. Nice vehicle so far. Glad to be rid of the Mopar.
  • I have had my 2002 Yukon for two months now and very happy with it. I remember reading on this board that there was some problem with the fog light switch affecting the rear wiper. I experienced this problem for the first time this week. It is just a little nuisance thing that I thought was fixed before the 2002's were produced.
    What was the solution to this problem? I am sure that it was discussed on this board a while back.
  • ghtrapghtrap Posts: 26
    The front seat passenger side seat belt on my '02 Tahoe locks just driving down the road and even ratchets tighter occasionally. My passengers won't use it because it's uncomfortable. I feel the only time the belt should lock is when centrifugal force in the mechanism makes it lock. My dealer first thought it might be normal, but I wasn't buying that, so they have ordered me a new seat belt mechanism. The dealer hasn't heard of such a thing before and didn't think there were service bulletins. I would think it might just take a simple adjustment, but it is the new kind that is incorporated into the seat back. Has anyone heard of this problem before?
  • tnjimtnjim Posts: 2
    Looking at Yukons and Tahoes now. Any major issues out there that have been experienced with '01 or '02s? Primarily looking at SLE and LS models but all on the map.
  • Irv = Stand-in for Don. Over on the GMSUV Board several had the same problem. Seems that the last thing tried by GM was the running of a heavier ground to the tail gate area. Seemed to help somewhat.
    Others tried bypassing the suspected pulse with a heavy capacitor BUT this did not work. Don`t know if a perfect solution has been found. I don`t think so.

Irv. for Don.
  • drejdrej Posts: 119
    I have a 1995 Yukon 4x4 5.7L 75Kmi which the Cruise Quit just after the warranty period! (Thanks GMC, But does anyone have any simple diagnostics, a TSB, or a previous post on the subject? I've been puting off to go to the Dealer$ as $ and the use of Cruise is limited. I admit I would like to use it a few times a month. Someone told me it could be the wiring, as the constsnt use of Tilt steering puts a strain on the electronics on the column. Any Ideas? Thanks, D~
  • My 2000 Tahoe had & has the same problem, dealer put in a new unit, helped for about a year but it's doing it again. Must be something in GM because my 2001 Silverado does it on the pass seat sometimes & it's only 3 months old.
  • poc322poc322 Posts: 22
    On Saturday night I had gone out to eat, and when I when I came back out to 01 Tahoe, about an hour or so later, I started it up and noticed the radio was off and the clock was not showing the right time. I know when I got out of the vechile the radio was on.(I don't manually turn of ever) So I'm not sure if at some point my battery went dead, or there is just something wrong with the wiring. Has anyone every experienced this, or is this going to be an unsolved mystery.

By the way, in my 01 Tahoe I'm having the same problems with the seat belts on the driver and passenger side.
  • Hello all,
    Just closed the deal on a 2002 Yukon and I am looking for an aftermarket front brush guard. Anyone out there install one on their tahoe/yukon they feel good about?

Thanks for the advise.

Steve C.