Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Tahoe

Comments

• bwilletbwillet Posts: 11
    I know it is a couple inches under 80". I just measured it myself, but can't remember if it was 76 or 78 inches. Wanted to make sure it fit in my dad's garage...
  • txyank1txyank1 Posts: 1,010
    generous offer. And that Dealer's actual cost seems high.
  • dardson1dardson1 Posts: 696
    just an update on my 02 Tahoe LS 2wheel drive w/few options but the bigger engine and a liftgate. I traded out of an 18mo. old Toyota Sienna (fancy and expensive XLE version) that I disliked for it's multitude of squeaks, rattles, groans, and whines. It was also difficult to switch it from a people hauling mode into a cargo hauling vehicle short of removing the heavy seats.
    The Tahoe (after 7 months) remains quiet aside from a small buzz in the driver's door/window. There's also a "now and then" pop in the driver's seat not consistent or bothersome enough to take it in. Otherwise, no problems so far.
    It's big, comfortable, and surprisingly easy to handle around town considering the size. It's great on the highway, quiet enough, and plenty of power. I love how quickly I can flat-fold the seats and turn it from a big sedan into a cargo hauler.
    With fairly conservative driving I get 15ish winter and 14ish summer (I guess due to the AC). I got 16-17 in the Toyota minvan. Since the Toyota required premium my fuel cost is virtually the same.
    It's no sport car. I slow down a bit on the curves and find it a vehicle that's more comfortable driving conservatively. It's closer to 1960's muscle car....great off the line on a straight and smooth road, and more comfortable on an interstate than a curvy backroad. It suits me perfectly. Still love it.
  • ianshawianshaw Posts: 119
    I test drove a used 2001 GMC Yukon with the Autoride suspension last week (w/ 35k miles). As soon as I turned on the engine, the message center gave me a warning that the suspension needed to be serviced. The warning stayed on as long as the vehicle was on. Does the Autoride require periodic maintenance or does the warning indicate that there is a problem with the suspension? Has anyone had that warning appear on their vehicle? If so, what ended up being the problem? Thanks!
  • hemrodhemrod Posts: 1
    Got a 2002 Tahoe LS, about 7k miles and no serious complaints. Question - anybody experiencing a rattle behind the drivers dash?? - Seems to go away if I press firmly with my hand . . I assume the warranty will cover this ?? Also, the owner's manual does not mention changing the rear differential fluid, but a buddy mentioned this should be done at the first service. Dealer did not perform when I took it in. What's the deal?
  • dardson1dardson1 Posts: 696
    I don't see an overhead opening over my driver's seat on my Tahoe. Sounds like that may be associated with the auto/air which I do not have. Thanks for the input.
  • lobsenzalobsenza Posts: 619
    I believe the rear differential now has a synthetic fluid which requires less frequent changing. I would follow the owner's manual.

There is a small grill over the driver's head for the automatic A/C.
  • fortopfortop Posts: 239
    also at nada.com, but not on GM Buypower. No indication of when the discounts on the 2003 models might begin, but my guess is 2-3 months away, at least. It will take that long to clear out all of the 2002s and get some unsold inventory of 2003s. As noted by others in prior posts, some previously standard features are now added cost options.
  • spankeyspankey Posts: 1
    Anybody else get a lot of what sounds like your 3 qts low when you first start your 2000 5.3 ?. Dealers say its a known "cosmetic" noise from the pistons ?.
  • with all standard and optional equipment etc.
  • ryanbabryanbab Posts: 7,240
    I bought a set of custom seat covers from http://www.seatsavers.com

Paid $106.75 (included shipping). They have a custom embroidered Z71 logo. You can see pics at the following

http://www.webphotos.com/list_photos.asp?mi=3&smi=1&a=38583

• Anyway ever put shoes on the rear of their tahoe.. if you are gonna get a manual .. My dad spent 2 1/2 hours on one wheel.... Then I called the nieghbor man who has a shop across the street... came over had both put back together in 1/2 hour....
  • jaw2000jaw2000 Posts: 133
    Not trying to be mean, but I thought you were not getting one as it would not be 2 tone and have a tv and other stuff?

By the way, remember invoice also has built into it the dreaded holdback, if you order one, that is pure profit for your dealer -- in the neighborhood or 3% or so -- as it is a sale without any flooring or other stuff.

So while yours may not be a bad deal, it might not be as good as you think. All bets are off if you get something off the lot.
  • zman3zman3 Posts: 857
    I'll have to go back and check the web but I thought I read that they weren't going to start building the 2003 until next week or so.
  • Hoping I could get some help with an annoying noise on my 2000 Tahoe LT. I have been to 3 dealers about this with no solution. When I stop at a light, pull into the garage, etc and I am sitting with the truck running, I will get a popping noise from near the passenger front wheel area. This does not happen as I am stopping, it is when I am at idle. The vibration can be felt in the passenger foot well. The best way to describe it is a sound similar to a tennis ball being bounced on the hood of the car. One dealer told me it was the heat shield expanding and contracting, and the other 2 did not have any answers. I have never heard of a heat shield making this noise before. Any ideas would be appreciated.
    be sure to put some miles on a '02 with 4.8 before committing. I don't know if you tow anything or haul much but the Tahoe is a lot of vehicle for the 4.8. I've been eyeballing a used '02 with 4.8 but haven't driven it. I don't tow and don't carry much, so I know I could live with it. But it would take some getting used to when I now drive an X-cab with 5.3. Gobs of power. Not much diff. in the HP of 4.8 and 5.3 but bigger diff. in torque.
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    and was very un-impressed by it. Downright scarry getting on a busy 2 lane highway in traffic (with little or no on-ramp) almost gave up on the tahoe completely til I realized it was a 4.8. Drove the 5.X one and felt much better.

-mike
    I was quite surprised to discover that it was now the std. engine. Don't think that was the case a yr. or two ago. The 4.8 is an impressive engine but it needed a torque boost too, like the 5.3 got in 2000.
    months, then bought a 2002 4.8 Tahoe and have been driving that for 3 months. I don't tow or haul heavy loads, so I notice no difference between the 4.8 and 5.3. If you floor the accelerator on either engine you get a quick (albeit gas hogging) response. I get about 3 mpg better gas mileage(city) with the 4.8 - both 2WD vehicles. I am sure than some can sense the extra torque and horsepower in the 5.3, but I rarely drive the vehicle hard so I have not experienced it. Just my $.02. Driving before buying is always the best advice.
  • Any thoughts?? I am looking at a 2001 Tahoe, it only has 12,000 miles and from the VIN check it was purchased around 06-06-2001, and is clean. I will be trading my 1999 Trooper, I need a bigger vehicle, wife informed me we are pregnant. This one seems to have all the options, the dealer is asking $32,700. Any comments or advise will be helpful. Thanks
  • donahuesdonahues Posts: 36
    If you plan to finance, you may be better buying new. With 0% for 5 years, your payments may be about the same on a new one.
    Value here on the Edmunds site on that 4X4 2001 LT. Also, check cars.com by entering all of the detailed option information on this vehicle to get the black book value. I think you can get a new 2002 Tahoe for at or near that price, or a new 2WD (if you can do without the 4WD) for less $$. The value of 2001,2002 Tahoes and Yukons is relatively low, due to the current $2500 rebates on the new ones. Also, check carfax on this vehicle and consider the mileage - get an extended warranty if you decide to buy used. Just my $.02. Good Luck.
  • tom213tom213 Posts: 49
    Friday night I became the proud new owner of a Tahoe (Redfire Metalic)LT, 4WD, with a lot of other goodies and now have a grand total of 101 miles on the odometer. I couldn't pass up the end of model year deals and 0% financing deal going on. Anyway, I noticed a, for lack of a better term, a jerking motion when I was on the turnpike today. The engine was running smooth (RPM steady) and tow/haul mode was off, transmission seems to shift fine, and autotrac was not on (2HI light ON). I also took it on a highway that was recently paved to rule out it being caused by road flaws. When I got home, with the engine still running, I checked the transmission fluid and it was right at the very bottom of the cross-hash marks, so maybe this is the cause?? So I'm stopping by the dealer after work tomorrow to get some fluid added to see if this does the trick. Has anyone else experienced anything similar? It's not a severe jerking motion, but it is noticeable as speed increases.
  • eman5eman5 Posts: 110
    What's the best tire for smooth, quiet highway cruising in a 2WD 2001 Tahoe LT?
  • I've been reading this board for a few months now while I've been considering buying a new or used Tahoe (2001 or newer). I'm just about ready to make my purchase, if I can find the "right" vehicle. But here's my "current" question.

I'm in the Phoenix, Arizona area, where as you can imagine, the weather is INCREDIBLY hot (especially in the summer... current daytime highs are 105+ & have been most of the summer). At some of the Chevy dealerships, they've been trying to convince me that I should be strongly leaning toward getting a version with the Trailering Package. Not for towing necessarily (which I've not done yet, & am not likely to do much), but because the improved high capacity air cleaner and the transmission oil cooler. So, my question to the group is: DOES the Trailering Package REALLY make a difference in the life of a Tahoe in the hot climate?

I realize that for the '02 vehicles, my selection WILL be somewhat limited. But, if I have the choice between with and without, where theoretically I could save a few dollars, does it make any "real" difference?

Also, just, while I'm asking, anybody have any recommendations for where I "should" be looking for my vehicle? I'm willing to look pretty much anywhere in the state of Arizona, also as far as Las Vegas, NV, or Albuquerque, NM. I'm definitely looking to get the very best deal possible. My "ideal" vehicle would probably be a 2002 LS 4x4 with the 3rd row seating (but willing to skip the 3rd row, but the lift gate is a MUST HAVE item), plus with or without the Trailering Pkg, depending on everybody's replies. What am I "willing" to get? LS 4x2 (preferably with the Traction Pkg as someday I might well move back to, or at least visit, the NY & New England areas again), liftgate is still a must. In both cases, from what I've read here, it SOUNDS like I should be going with the 5.3 engine, instead of the 4.8, unless someone can give me a good reason that I shouldn't be.

Thanks in advance for the help!
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    Was that "jerking" on a concrete highway? If it was, then it is a normal occurance created by the expansion joints in the highway. It will not happen all the time but will in that particular section of highway.

eman5
    Michelin LTX M/S 275/70R16
  • After running the Vin through carfax and looking up the TMV plus other prices from Edmunds, Kelly blue book, and NADA, it looks like a good deal. I have private financing so 0% would not help with a new one. I am going to call a haggle a bit on the price, but I am going to get it regardless. All the sites I looked at show it at below what the dealer could charge by almost $3,000. So thanks for the info, and I'll be back to bug you and ask questions :)
  • The radio on my 2001 Tahoe has a low tone humming noise. This occurs even the radio is off. I've brought it to the dealer to no avail. Anyone else experience this annoying and elusive humming?

Also, I find that when I apply my brakes on uneven road such as railroad tracks and dips the braking seem to skip much like if the ABS is kicking in. Anyone else experience this phenomenon?

Please share your experience and your remedy, if any. Thank you
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    I saw a Hummer H2 over the weekend and got to crawl around under it a bit. Is it built on the same chassis as the yukon/avalanche/suburban? Looked real similar chassis wise.

-mike
  • I live in NH and not the southwest like you do, but I've had a 2001 Tahoe LS with the trailering package, 3rd row seats - pretty much as you're looking for - and we've had some pretty hot weather lately this summer (19 days at 90+). I can tell you firsthand that the temp meter never moves, even sitting in stop and go, running the a/c full blast, full of teenagers, stereo going. The main differences here are the external coolers you get with the package. Getting the tranny fluid into a second cooler really helps, plus I'm pretty sure they put a beefier fan clutch in since mine engages a lot of the time to really help things cool down. Also note there's a set of "dummy" plastic pieces in the front bumper that you can take out that allow additional air to the tranny fluid cooler which helps even more. Bottom line, this thing keeps cool as a cucumber even in desert-type weather....