Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2007 Elantra Speedometer / Odometer

1234568»

Comments

• Hope this helps some folks: (on www.safercar.gov)

Make : HYUNDAI Model : ELANTRA Year : 2007
    Manufacturer : HYUNDAI MOTOR COMPANY
    Service Bulletin Num : 0790010 Date of Bulletin: SEP 01, 2007
    NHTSA Item Number: 10023141
    Component: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM
    Summary:
    ECU REPROGRAMMING FOR SPEEDOMETER DISPLAY CUSTOMER SATISFACTION ACTION (CSA) *NJ
  • Does anyone know if the letter that Hyundai sent out regarding this is posted anywhere online? The only thing I can find is regarding the speedometer not the odometer. Please help as I am fighting with my dealership about this.
  • Anyway you can send me a copy of the letter? I can't find mine and I want the actual letter. Thanks!
  • FYI... I don't know if you are aware, but I just got off the phone with my service department who informed me that when they fix the problem, the attach a sticker to your vehicle stating that the mileage is incorrect. This information will go on the title of the vehicle.
    I don't know about anyone else, but I wouldn't buy a car if the mileage isn't correct. They need to recall the car and replace them with one that doesn't have incorrect mileage. I see a lawsuit in the future about this!
  • mike91326mike91326 SoCalPosts: 245
    The reprogramming of the ECM corrects the problem (both speedometer and odometer) from today forward. That is why Hyundai extended the mileage part of the warranty. The only time they put a mileage sticker on your car is when they replace the instrument cluster.
  • Did you get any info on the original letter? I was cited for speeding and need to bring that letter to traffic court and I lost it somehow.
  • nthenthe Posts: 414
    the problem with the speedo was that it was showing a faster speed than you were actually traveling. so if your speedo said you were going 50, your actual speed was about 45. i haven't heard of anyone have a problem of the speedo showing too slow of a speed.
  • ebbutsebbuts Posts: 20
    It would appear to me you don't have much of a leg to stand on because like nthe stated the speedometer is slow not fast so if you are on the interstate doing 85 mph and the speed limit is 75 like ours and you meet up with a ticket happy cop you probably got a ticket for 5 over. If you are going more than that, it's your tough luck. That letter isn't going to do a bit of good in your case I don't think. Pay the ticket and slow down.
  • mike91326mike91326 SoCalPosts: 245
    Or to add insult to injury, the judge will say “So you state you were doing 85 and the cop only wrote you for 75? Well then, let’s tack another $200 on that fine.”
  • harlqnharlqn Posts: 18
    Sorry, I haven't been on this forum in a long time. If you still need the letter, I can probably dig it up.
  • Did you ever get that letter online??
  • techguy378techguy378 Posts: 1
    I recently bought an used late model 2007 Hyundai Elantra car on May 18, 2008. The car only had 24,677 miles when I bought it. My speedometer is off by 6mph. I had the cruise control set for 54mph (I was in a 55mph speed zone) and was actually traveling at 48mph. I only found out about this because a cop pulled me over for going too slow. Luckily I didn't get a ticket, just a warning. I haven't had a chance to contact the dealer yet as I just found out about the problem. Unfortunately my car's VIN# is not included in TSB 07-90-010-1 for the reprogramming of the ECU. :mad:
  • vikingsonevikingsone Posts: 1
    edited December 2010
    I owned a 2009 Elantra I noticed the speedometer and the odometer were off within the first few months of owning it. Speedometer was 4 miles faster than I was going and the odometer was recording mileage at a rate of 20% more than actually traveled. This is great for Hyundai their warranty expires 20K miles before it's supposed to. When I took it in to the dealer they said it was within Hyundai specifications. I recently just traded this in on a 2010 Elantra, the first thing I checked was the speedometer and again it was 4 miles too fast according to the cops radar gun. But something different on the odometer, it was recording at a much lower rate than distanced traveled approximately 25%. So my warranty on this vehicle will be much longer. So I guess it works out in the long run if you keep buying Hyundai's. But a much deeper concern is for Hyundai's quality control program. Other that this I have not had a problem with either one of the cars.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,682
    I don't know how far back in this discussion you've read, but I recommend going through it from the start. You might find some useful stuff, e.g. here's a post about a service bulletin re ECU reprogramming for the speedometer for 2007 Elantras:

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f1234a6/144#MSG144
1234568»
This discussion has been closed.