Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fears of buying a Mazda CX-7 in its first model year - still justified?

2»

Comments

• aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    wierd burning smell from the engine and the exhaust after a 20 min run around.

That burning smell is cosmoline. burning off the exhaust system. It is used to prevent rust. Give it a few days and it will burn off. Your car is not malfunctioning.
  • 1rubyred1rubyred Posts: 12
    Yes, that's okay I suppose although the smell is noxious. The more troubling aspect is billowing smoke coming from under the hood and/or wheel wells. People were telling me to pull over thinking my car was on fire. If that's a result of this rust prevention treatment, I don't think it's very good. We live in a high fire area. A neighbor up the hill just had is new Dodge pickup w/ 1k miles on it set his garage on fire. He also had the same complaints I've had with my CX-7. He now has $75k damage to his home and lucky nobody was hurt.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,826
    I've had the cosmoline smell before too but billowing smoke doesn't sound normal. I'd take photos and make the dealer investigate further.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Yes, been there done that. You might check my earlier posts. They put 56 miles on my car trying to figure it out. Anyway, the "cosmoline" or whatever caused it must have burned off because the smell isn't as strong and there's been no more smoke. But people should be aware of this problem. It could be an isolated case, but I saw another posting on this site about it. It doesn't inspire confidence in the vehicle although I still love it. Even with the hot air issue blowing in from the vents when I want fresh ambient air. That's still an issue for me.
    I saw your 56 mile post but didn't realize the smoke had gone away for you too. Mine only had the burning smell for a few days when it was new, but it was assembled in Ohio. I think yours had to cross the Pacific so probably the undercarriage was more heavily sprayed for the voyage and maybe a lump of the cosmo stuff got stuck near the exhaust system.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• slippertslippert CincinnatiPosts: 13
    If your's was assembled in OH, you aren't driving a Mazda. I beleive all are assemble in Japan.
    No, it's a Ford assembled Nissan - my point was that since it didn't have to be shipped overseas, like Mazdas, there may not have been as much protective spray put on the chassis to burn off. I just had some burning smell for a week or so.

One theory is that 1rubyred's CX-7 had way too much spray on it.

• papercutpapercut Posts: 5
    Hi Aviboy, my car is just 2 months old with 4500km on it. And the burning smell is still there.... And the 'new car'leather smell in the car fortunately is still there too. Just wondering, any interesting bodykits avail or in the US ? :shades:
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    Mazda now offers a Rear Spoiler Extension and Front Wind Split package or they have those decorative Under Guards for the front and rear if that's more your thing. Both items are available if your dealer knows how to find them.
  • johnny__rfjohnny__rf Posts: 83
    My CX-7 now has 9500 miles on it and I still get that damn burning smell intermittently. I especially notice it when the car is warm & I have to stop at a light or stop in traffic. It is definitely coming in through the ECS system. Almost seems like hot exhaust is coming in through the fresh air intake somehow........I'm due for an oil change in 500 miles so I'll have service look at it..........
  • vbbuiltvbbuilt Posts: 498
    Those items are not listed on the MAZDAUSA.COM website. Would you mind providing a web link? Where'd you come by this info?

Thanks, Vince.
    Since I've taken my CX7 in for the burning smell and smoke problem, I notice it a lot less. They claim they didn't do anything but possibly they removed some of the protective undercoating. I suspect they did because it was really strong before. However, the hot air blowing in when I only have the ambient air on is still a problem. I was told that this happens with turbo engines and there's nothing to be done about it. I think it's a terrible design and something should be done. In the meantime, I keep my a/c on the coolest setting at all times. As soon as the car warms up, the hot air is blowing into the cabin making it really uncomfortable. Gas mileage has improved slightly since taking the car in for service but still under performing in that area. I'm still happy with the car but those issues are troubling.
    A recent announcement to dealers.

They should be up on MAZDAUSA.COM pretty soon.
  • boesman1boesman1 Posts: 47
    I now have 2350miles on my CX7 and I still get an odd burning smell after parking the car. Sometimes it almost smells like plastic burning, not a good thing when you consider the amount of plastic under the hood. The warm air coming in thru the vents really annoys me ! I just want fresh ambient air some days, it almost seems as though the intake for the air is shared with the intercooler? It also seems that the odd smell sometimes migrates into the cabin as well.
  • What does anyone think about a final cost for a CX9 2008GT AWD at $39,300 in Baltimore MD? Edmonds says TMV for thesame specs in the area is 41K + before tax. Somebody talk to me.
  • nmknmk Posts: 111
    When we purchased our beloved CX-7, we were told that it had AWD. and we took the salesman at his word. :mad: :mad:

As we are now trying to sell it because of moving overseas, a dealer says he checked the VIN and claims it is a FWD. :cry:

Of course I will check out his statement, but if it is true, is there any recourse for this?

N Kabak
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    I would suggest that you look at your paper work from when you made your purchase, and see if it states AWD anywhere.

What is your VIN, I'll tell you if it's an AWD or FWD.
    I think he's in another country.
    Recently My ABS and TCS lights come on and go off. Yesterday another CEL light came on and now it's staying on. I've had my car in for the recalls so that issue should have been resolved. Now ALL three lights are ON and won't go off.

It's Sunday and I'm taking it in first thing Monday. I'm really annoyed and hoping it's nothing too serious. I only have 7200 miles on this vehicle and am sorry I ever purchased it.

Sorry if I sound like I'm ranting, but this Mazda product seems poorly made.
  • cx7lovercx7lover Posts: 50
    There isn't just one CEL fix, there is another for the gas cap, please take it in first and justify your claims of poorly made, these are all just teething issues, maybe if your accelorator stuck, and the brakes failed, yes, a pooorly made vehicle, but a few warning lights(that should prompt you to bring your car in) for this car means next to nothing. ESP CEL's. The ABS light, now I'm not sure, but you sound like a minority in that area.
    cxlover, to each their own. I'm in my 40's, owned lots of cars and this one is a dog. Just expressing my opinion. Yes, my ABS failed at 7200 miles. :lemon:
  • cx7lovercx7lover Posts: 50
    Lots of cars? 40-50? You still don't represent the reliability of all others VS your CX-7.
    At the least 50 people has to had at least one issue(small or big) with every mass production vehicle made, and you're the first person I've ever heard of to have an issue with the ABS on the CX-7, and a "Lemon" is an unfixable car, with how many you've owned I thought you would know something like that, you know since you've owned so many.

People will swear up and down that VW's are awful and unreliable, and others will have one without one problem. Switch it around for yours and a few others cases. I've only heard of about 3-4 people online with a real lemon CX-7.
    Yes, Yo. You sound like someone who has blinders on. You love the car, go for it. I'm letting people know what I think. Don't really care what your opinion is. It's meaningless to me.

I only buy new cars and if I have to keep going in and WASTING my time, then it's a problem to me. I regret purchasing the car. I am posting this for others who are considering purchasing the vehicle. I do NOT recommend it unless you like going in every few weeks to have some little "minor" glitch or NOT???? repaired or replaced. That's been my experience with THIS vehicle.
    Yo. How many cars I've purchased is actually none of your biz, but I it's been quite a few. This car has less than 10k miles on it and it's over 1year old. It's a vehicle we use for errands and already in the shop 3 or 4 times. A dog, yes.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    How many cars I've purchased is actually none of your biz, but I it's been quite a few.

Well, you did open the door to that question when you asserted you had owned a lot of cars. At the very least, I would be interested in knowing how many of them were first model year cars - seeing that it is the topic here. That would also be germane for others as well. :)

I do suggest to all that we tone down the confrontational tone and focus on the topic.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
2»
This discussion has been closed.