Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fears of buying a Mazda CX-7 in its first model year - still justified?

Comments

• tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    CEL = Check Engine Light

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • zoom49zoom49 Posts: 76
    Yes the CX-7's timing is chain drive not belt :)
  • Yup. It's a chain.
  • 1rubyred1rubyred Posts: 12
    I bought one in mid March. The CEL came on at 300 miles. New gas cap. Today at 1021 miles, smoke started coming out from under the hood. The car wasn't overheating, but I noticed bad smell from the very beginning whenever I parked it was obvious. I complained about it but nothing was found. I just had it towed to the dealers. This is a first for me. I've never had such a troubling experience with a new car. Other complaints, weak A/C, hot air coming from vents on coolest ambient setting so a/c is constantly needed. Could be from this smoking under the hood problem. BTW, I had only driven about 4 miles when it started to billow smoke. Disappointed? Wish I thought it over? I'll post later to let you know. In the meantime, I'm promised a loaner. Gas mileage was okay at first but only getting 15 mpg right now and I'm not a lead foot. Lemon?
  • okeyobiozookeyobiozo Posts: 8
    What vehicle are talking about please? hope not a CX9 'cause I just got one "The CEL came on at 300 miles. New gas cap. Today at 1021 miles..."
    what about the CX9? chain timing belt too?
    No, this is the CX-7. I picked up my car on Friday after being at the dealers for 3 days. They put 56 miles on it trying to recreate the smoke but could not. They suspect it came from some "treatment" that was put on the undercarriage of "all new cars" and it wears off within the first few thousand miles. I gave them permission to drive my car but was astounded at the 56 miles. They under reported it on the work order as well but I appreciate their efforts in trying to find out what was going on. They acknowledged a problem with the hot air blowing into the vents but they say they tested other CX-7's and are chalking it up the the turbo engine. All I can do is complain to Mazdausa, which I have done. In the meantime, I was contacted by Mazda (Irvine) and have been made part of their online focus group where I've voiced my concerns about the vehicle. There won't be another focus group for 9 months, but I'm supposed to be a part of that as well. As a strange coincidence, our local news has just reported that a brand new truck (Dodge) had a similar problem and ignited his garage. The truck had only 1,000 miles on it but did 75K damage to his home. Wonder if they put treatment on his undercarriage as well? I had tons of smoke just billowing out from under the front end of my car. I guess I should consider myself extremely fortunate but felt that I was treated like I was "seeing things" at the dealership. TG I had a neighbor who also saw all the smoke and was shocked by it. I just hope it never happens again. I still love the car btw.
  • papercutpapercut Posts: 5
    I have been in contact with a few of the CX-7 owners here in Singapore, and they have all experienced the wierd burning smell from the engine and the exhaust after a 20 min run around. Looks like it is more apparent here in our warm and humid climate, any idea on whatsssup with this :confuse: ? I get caught up in the heavy city traffic every morning and the gears are flipping about between 1st to 3rd. And I have experienced jerks enough to cause some hurt to my neck when the gear drops flip from 3rd to 2nd on very "light"accelaration...... :surprise: Anyone ?
    This is a bit outside the topic. But I was wondering if I could compare this with anyone. I got a CX9 GT a couple of months ago in Baltimore MD. $38,000+ : Navi, Bose system, Backup Camera, moon roof, wheel locks. Did I over-pay?
  • slippertslippert Posts: 13
    CX-7 GT FWD +Tech, Remote Start, Compass/Autodim, Sirius and mats = $31,915 MSRP. I paid $29,125. Got an 8" DVD player for the kids for $924.00 extra. I didn't get wheel locks.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    wierd burning smell from the engine and the exhaust after a 20 min run around.

That burning smell is cosmoline. burning off the exhaust system. It is used to prevent rust. Give it a few days and it will burn off. Your car is not malfunctioning.
    Yes, that's okay I suppose although the smell is noxious. The more troubling aspect is billowing smoke coming from under the hood and/or wheel wells. People were telling me to pull over thinking my car was on fire. If that's a result of this rust prevention treatment, I don't think it's very good. We live in a high fire area. A neighbor up the hill just had is new Dodge pickup w/ 1k miles on it set his garage on fire. He also had the same complaints I've had with my CX-7. He now has $75k damage to his home and lucky nobody was hurt.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,936
    I've had the cosmoline smell before too but billowing smoke doesn't sound normal. I'd take photos and make the dealer investigate further.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Yes, been there done that. You might check my earlier posts. They put 56 miles on my car trying to figure it out. Anyway, the "cosmoline" or whatever caused it must have burned off because the smell isn't as strong and there's been no more smoke. But people should be aware of this problem. It could be an isolated case, but I saw another posting on this site about it. It doesn't inspire confidence in the vehicle although I still love it. Even with the hot air issue blowing in from the vents when I want fresh ambient air. That's still an issue for me.
    I saw your 56 mile post but didn't realize the smoke had gone away for you too. Mine only had the burning smell for a few days when it was new, but it was assembled in Ohio. I think yours had to cross the Pacific so probably the undercarriage was more heavily sprayed for the voyage and maybe a lump of the cosmo stuff got stuck near the exhaust system.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• slippertslippert Posts: 13
    If your's was assembled in OH, you aren't driving a Mazda. I beleive all are assemble in Japan.
    No, it's a Ford assembled Nissan - my point was that since it didn't have to be shipped overseas, like Mazdas, there may not have been as much protective spray put on the chassis to burn off. I just had some burning smell for a week or so.

One theory is that 1rubyred's CX-7 had way too much spray on it.

• papercutpapercut Posts: 5
    Hi Aviboy, my car is just 2 months old with 4500km on it. And the burning smell is still there.... And the 'new car'leather smell in the car fortunately is still there too. Just wondering, any interesting bodykits avail or in the US ? :shades:
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    Mazda now offers a Rear Spoiler Extension and Front Wind Split package or they have those decorative Under Guards for the front and rear if that's more your thing. Both items are available if your dealer knows how to find them.
  • johnny__rfjohnny__rf Posts: 83
    My CX-7 now has 9500 miles on it and I still get that damn burning smell intermittently. I especially notice it when the car is warm & I have to stop at a light or stop in traffic. It is definitely coming in through the ECS system. Almost seems like hot exhaust is coming in through the fresh air intake somehow........I'm due for an oil change in 500 miles so I'll have service look at it..........
This discussion has been closed.