Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Ram Idle and Stalling Problems

Comments

• ken3rdken3rd Posts: 1
    Hi tank07 I have an 07 ram 1500 mega cab also and i have the exact same idle problem , my dealer can not figure it out , Im a heavy truck mechanic and I have tryed everything myself to fix it however this truck does not have an egr valve if it did that would probably be the problem but sence it does not no one can figure it out , did you get yours fixed yet if so what had to be done to fix it , this is driving me nuts .
  • kens999kens999 Posts: 7
    Thought I would report back. After replacing the IAC only to have my stalling problem creep back up in a week or two, this is what I did. Pulled the throttle body completely off the intake manifold. Removed all sensors off throttle body. Thoroughly cleaned the throttle body with a throttle body cleaner. Cleaned all sensors and connector contact pins with a dielectric cleaner. Used a new gasket when reinstalling throttle body.

Its been six weeks and the most noticeable difference for me is when I now take my foot of the accelerator, the tac needle slowly sinks rather than bounces around irratically and my truck no longer stalls (fingers crossed).

Good Luck.
  • YOU GOT IT, IT WONT START, TOOK IT TO THE MECHANIC, TOLD ME GOT FUEL PRESSURE AN THE PUMP IS WORKING CORRECTLY, NO JUICE TO THE ENGINE..... GO FIGURE,,, REPLACE WHAT THEY CALL THE POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE OR INTERGRATED CONTROL MODULE. IT IS ON BACK ORDER AT THE DEALERSHIPS BUT ONLINE I FOUND A PLACE IT COST $450.00. GUESS WHAT. IT STILL DOESNT START...GETTING COSTLY FOR THIS VET AN CANT AFFORD A HIGH BILL....ANY IDEAS.......
  • judgejustinjudgejustin Posts: 14
    Ok, I haven't read all posts but it looks like I may be able to get some ideas or help from here. I have an 07 1500 Megacab with the 5.7 Hemi 4x4. It stalls when I make sudden stops, if shifting into reverse from drive with out giving gas and sometimes just for no reason while idling. I have replaces all spark plugs, thoroughly cleaned throttle body, checked and cleaned O2 sensors, checked cooling sensor. Does anybody have any ideas. Also I have posted in the Real World MPG before with no real success. I am getting terrible fuel mileage. Right now it is right at 8 mpg in town and 9.5 on the highway. I went 350 miles on the open highway last week and pulled a 16 ft aluminum utility trailer never exceeded 75mph and averaged 7.6 mpg. I drive farely conservatively. Could either of these problems be linked or does anyone have any suggestions as to something to do about the millage, also? Thanks
  • splunkwvsplunkwv Posts: 1
    Have a 02 5.9 1500 3 out of 5 times after starting minutes later it idles rough and sometimes stalls. If you floor it she gets up and goes during the problem or if you pump the peddle it goes. After a few minutes of running like that its fine no problems. Does anyone know the solution for this problem. Thanks splunkwv
  • I have a 2008 dodge ram 1500 5.7 hemi. When I fill up with gas the engine cuts off within 10 miles of driving. It is acting like it is starving for fuel. I went to the dealership and they had no answer. I tried a new gas cap but that didn't work. Could it be the throttle position sensor?
  • I had same problem, changed complete throttle body cause my censor was built in, it keep dieing when letting off the gas . Bill
  • kgrogankgrogan Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 5.9 having the same problem did you find the problem if so i would greatly appreciate some feedback
  • whyme12whyme12 Posts: 7
    well I finally got my problem with my truck fixed!!! after about 2yrs of fighting a dead end, I put new O2 sensors on! but they were OEM not aftermarket brand!!!! all the idleing problems, and stalling, and the headaches, three little words of OEM fixes all this? just one more way for dealerships to make a buck and tell you its something else, when in fact its more than likely a o2 sensor. So maybe try replacing the o2's with the factory ones, and see how that goes.
  • I have a 2005 Ram 3500 with cummins that is also doing the same thing. The dealership is baffled as the computer is throwing no codes. When moving down the highway at regular speeds, it will shut off but comes right back. When sitting still it just flat out dies. The truck will start right back up and runs great, but repeats time and time again.

The dealership has no clue as to what to do, and has been blindly replacing parts. I am gettin tired of this, and it is getting expensive. Anyone had this problem or have any idea what it could be?
  • rick3177rick3177 Posts: 1
    edited August 2011
    Have any of you guys tried to replace your EGR value? I have a 2005 with the hemi and i had the same problem. My wifes uncle is a real machanic and said to try and replace the EGR value and the problem went away.
  • vdawg2vdawg2 Posts: 1
    My 2004 dodge ram keeps stalling when it is at idle. It only stalls when i go of the throttle to brake and not every thime @%#^# WTF. Any info about this would be great.
  • I have a 2000 dodge ram 2500 that recently begin stalling but it will restart. I took it to mechanic and according to the readings on the computer the problem lies between ecm and crank sensor, but was advised to try sensor. The crank sensor was put on however it started stalling again. Anyone have any ideas of what can be the problem.
  • i had the same problem with my 04 dodge ram 1500. i changed the EGR valve and that helped with the stalling. The part was $75 and real easy to change. i hope this helps.
  • I have a 01 Ram 1500 5.9 and it will stall when I go to slow down and stop,It does it rarely in the day time,but here lately at night when I would leave work and get going down the road as soon as i slow down at a red light it will shut off or start to die and I have no clue what the problem is,any ideas?
  • Start with the simple stuff. With my 98 Ram the stalling turned out to be a matter of removing the throttle body and giving it a thorough cleaning. There are some sensors on the throttle body as well. If cleaning doesnt solve your issue, you can try replacing the Idle Air Control on the throttle body (if your model year has one), which is less than 30 bucks. After doing those 2 things the stalling stopped for me.

Read thru this forum and the other Dodge and Ram online forums to get more helpful info. on this specific issue.

Thanks,
    Ken
  • I HAVE 2008 DODGE RAM, 3500 6.7 THAT BURNING TOO MUCH FUEL, ONLY GETTING 5-6 MILES A GALLON OVER THE ROAD. ALSO I CAN BE RIDING DOWN THE ROAD AND IT SHUTS OFF, I KNOCK OUT OF GEAR AND IT CRANKS BACK UP IMMEDIATELY, GETTING ANNOYING, AND BLOWING BLACK SMOKE OUT OF THE EXHUAST. DEALER HADN'T FOUND THE PROBLEM.
  • I changed the transmission in my 1996 Dodge Ram 1500. The truck starts fine, but will only run at 2000's RPM and only then if I hold the gas pedal down. If it drops below 2000 RPM, it shuts off and won't start back for 30 minutes or more. I've replace the fuel pump and the front oxygen sensor. Any clues...
  • Idk if the cummins has this but my 360 had it go out. Try the (iac valve or idle air control valve. It should be on ur throtthe body
  • i have a 2004 Ram 1500 with the Hemi too and the rpm's jump up and down then stalls. this problem has been going on since the truck had 4300 miles on it. the dealership couldnt find any problems with the codes on the computer. it usually happens when pulling into a parking space, the truck idles rough then stalls. is this the same problem you had and did replacing the EGR valve work? the guy who had the truck before me turned it back into the dealer for the same problem and was considered a "buy back" because they couldnt located the problem.