Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Ram Idle and Stalling Problems

Comments

• qhutqhut Posts: 2
    I replaced the rearend in my 98 Ram at 75000. mi, it began howling like an old school bus. Cost me $1300.00 out of pocket. I now have 132000 mi. and noise is returning.
    I think Ill just live w/ it this time around.
  • wizzlewizzle Posts: 3
    iam having the same problem that you had,but with a 03. did you ever come with fixable answer.if so,do you think you can help me. its driving me nuts. thanks
  • don_rdon_r Posts: 3
    Well, not sure, I bought a new battery because it wouldn't hold a charge. I haven't driven it much since June because of gas prices, but it was running great up until about 3 days before it started dying, my son used it for a couple of days.

So, for now it seems to be fixed I have been driving it this weekend and no problems, so the battery seemed to be the answer for me.
  • every time truck sits in rain for a couple hours & you start it, it runs rough for about 2-5 miles with engine light on but normally clears up & light goes out But the last time it happen the light would not go out why is it doing it & how can i get the light out
    first off all thankyou for getting back to me. i tried a new battery.it even does it in park.run great for about five minuts,then stalls.its also been setting for some time.i can keep it running when moving.maybe i need to take it on the highway and open it up. if you here anything let me know,and i'll do the same thanks again.
  • bigjerbigjer Posts: 5
    all you need to do is give it a good tune up new cap,rotor, wires, plugs. this should take care of this problem for you
  • Thanks i will try that, but i did spray water directly on the cap & wires with a spray bottle at night to see if i had any sparks from the wires or cap & it apeared to be okay
  • I have a 99 Dodge 1500, mine is a 5 speed and every time i go to press in the clutch the RPMs will range from 400-600. sometimes even die, i had taken it to Autozone and they ran the test on the engine light and it returned that my system is running to lean, on Bank one. which is an injector. so this may be your problem as well. it runs fine when you are driving it down the road.
    whats up don. i had the same problem with my truck. i did everything plugs.did'nt work. then i pulled the ignition coils.noticed one of thos was bad.you might wanna cheack thos if you have them.but while i was doing all that.i also noticed.my map censer was completily broke of. i dont know if yours is the same as an 03,mine is located inbetweenthe altanater,and air condision compressor. after i fixed all that my truck runs like a champ.i hope that helps you let me know.
  • don_rdon_r Posts: 3
    actually, I replaced the battery, it wouldn't hold a charge, and the problem seemed to disappear! I hope that was it, the truck doesn't get driven very often, maybe 2-3 times a month since gas prices are so high, and it's not the best in fuel consumption. :) Thanks for the reply!
  • chip11chip11 Posts: 3
    My 1998 Dodge Dully Diesel cumming with 159K mikes has an occasional stalling problem.
    It only happens 5% of the time on exceleration - just as up pull into a busy street.
    The Dodge dealership though it was the fuel filter needing changed. They fixed every other thing on the truck except the stalling. Before I spend another $720 including
    $60 and hour for labor - I want the check some easy things myself.
    Would someone give me a few other easy parts to check.
  • chip11chip11 Posts: 3
    My 98 Dodge 3500 desiel keeps a normal temperature of 195 however the radiator cap is always cold . It never gets warm even right after a long trip. I can open the cap and very little pressure will come out. The water is always cold !!!
    Is this normal ??????????????????
  • I have a 02 ram with a 5.9 and as soon as i let off the brake there is a bad shaking. It goes away if i hit the gas or brakes, but the dealer or myself con not figure out where it's coming from.Does anyone else have this problem and how do I fix it?
  • moelibmoelib Posts: 1
    Yesterday, we drove home from work in the ram, showered, then went to get back in the ram to go for dinner and it started with absolutely no problem but died immediately with the small red light coming on. since then, we can get it to start but it dies immediately...does anyone know why this is???
  • My 1999 Ram 1500 SLT laramie did the same thing randomly. It started, sputtered, and stalled. i was able to start it and it would run just a second and stall, this was until all the existing fuel in the lines was used up, then it would not run at all. It was the fuel pump on mine. Before just going for the fuel pump, its good to check all possible malfunctions with the electronics and the fuel system, thats what i did and nothing was wrong, so i unbloted the bed and replaced the pump. You might need to buy a massive pair of channel locks for the pump... ;D
  • I have a 1996 Ram 1500 and every time you put your foot into the gas at about 3000 rpm it starts to buck kinda like a misfire it also stalls out at times at stops i have had it scanned no codes i have gave it a full tune up (cap,plugs,plug wires,rotor) crank sensor replace did nothing, coil replaced did nothing, pickup coil replaced made it worse (defected) new one did nothing. im lost idk wats wrong with it could it be TPS but it would throw code so idk could it be throttle body itself? maybe a head gasket leak if you have had a problem like this write back if u have hunches or hints maybe tips im interested but i really need help my only means of transportation.
  • My Haynes manual says to look for a restriction in the fuel system (dirty filter or bad pump) or a restriction in the exhaust system (cat or bent pipe). It also says to check compression. Hope this helps.

Regards
    Corkscrew
  • Also check the pcv valve and look for vacuum leaks at hoses, throttle body and intake manifold.

Corkscrew
  • i have a 3.7L engin and when i start my truck it runs but stalls.. if i put it into gear it will stay running... could this be a starter problem... i just put a new battery in and it still does this.....
  • 99strat99strat Posts: 5
    I have a 96 1500, v6, 188k miles. It has intermittent problem with idling and stalling. Mechanic says everything checks out except that when he runs an electronic diagnostic, his device gets to a certain point then reads nothing (while engine is running). He suggested I take it to a dealership for a more thorough analysis. Any ideas?
  • okeefillyokeefilly Posts: 1
    It is your PCM. Your computer. For that year it was made poorly and has to replaced often due to cheap prongs getting mashed and getting no connection. It cost 450. to 500. just for the part. It is located on the right back under the hood of your truck just wiggle it and listen for the pump to turn on and start it again. You can get for free a computer hooked up to it for analysis and it will tell you that it is the computer. If not then it is a throttle body problem. They had a recall on this you need to look it up. It will explain it. :lemon:
  • dodgereddodgered Posts: 1
    i have a 95 dodge ram with 318 standard transmission i experience problems with it on long trips, After an initial period of 2 to 3 hours the engine will backfire and then begin to stall out sometimes after a minute or two i can start the vehicle and start driving again for another 2 hours then it happens again. the truck has had a complete tune up and the shutdown relay was replaced. Ive also had the plenium plate gasket replaced it does not do this on short in town daily trips to work and back just on long trips. any ideas let me know.
  • KCRamKCRam Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,516
    Have you checked your exhaust system (muffler, cat con, pipes) for plugging or damage? Since it takes a long time for the backfiring to occur, it may come as a result of heat buildup over time in the cat. My dad had those same symptoms in a 76 Mercury Grand Marquis with a 460 V8 - when it quit on him the first time, he popped the hood and said the exhaust headers were literally glowing red.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • my truck does the same things and i have no clue what it is did you find out? also my truck is way under powered when i floor it any ideas?
  • post499post499 Posts: 1
    I own a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 4.7L and about 8 months ago I began having problems with my idle. The RPMs would drop to 200/300 and would just about stall out and then it would jump up to 800/1000 and my truck would lunge forward and then it would go back to running normal around 600/700. This would all happen as I sat at a light or stop sign with my foot on the brake. At times the idle will even just jump up and down between high and low rpms and occasionally will actually stall. I brought it in for a tune up and have since had the idler control engine changed, the cam sensor changed, air filter changed, catalytic converter changed, and have brought it in 6 times to after market and dodge garage shops and they tell me nothing is wrong. It seems everytime I get it back from anyone working on it, it works find for a few weeks then goes back to what it was doing before. I'm completely out of ideas on what this can be. Especially since the garages can't even find the issue. Anyone have any ideas... I'm frustrated and tired of taking days off of work, losing my truck for the weekend and dropping lots of money on an issue that seems to never get fixed!! HELP!
  • sven22sven22 Posts: 1
    My Dad has been having the same problem with his 2003 4.7L Dodge Ram 1500 for about 6 months to a year. It is slowly getting worse. I've checked the OBD-II codes and it has none. I suspect an air-intake leak, but haven't found many complaints of such on the web for that engine... Let me know if you figure it out. I will do the same.
  • I HAVE A 2004 DODGE RAM 3/4 TON, THE TRUCK WILL RUN FINE AND THEN IT WILL DIE SOME TIMES I DRIVE TO WORK THREE OR FOUR TIMES AND THEN IT DIES I HAVE TO WAIT A FEW MIN AND THEN IT WILL START AGAIN, IT HAPPENS WHEN I AM GOING ABOUT 20 MPH OR SETING IDOL. I THINK IT WOULD BE THE LIFTPUMP IT IS IN THE TANK AND I CAN HEAR IT HUMMING. NOT SURE WHAT THE PROBLEM IS. ALSO IN THE WINTER TIME WHEN I START THE TRUCK TO LET IT WARM UP IT WILL IDOL UP REALLY HIGH AND I HAVE TO GO OUT AND TAP THE GAS AND IT WILL IDOL DOWN. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT. ALSO IT THROWS A CODE OF P0191 ANYONE HAVE AN IDEA WHAT THAT IS.
  • Unfortunately you are not alone. I own a 2005 4.7L ram 1500 and have the same idle issue. It occured at 48,000 miles about 6 months ago. I was pulling an empty trailer and came to a light and out of no where the truck dropped idle and stalled out. The check engine light came on and then turned off as the truck wobbled between under 500rpm to around 1000rpm. I was able to drive the truck home and to the dealership. After dropping off the vehicle at ARRIGO dodge in west palm beach fl. they did something to the computer and it hasnt happened since....until today when I replaced the battery. It must have reset the computer and now it is running rough and shakey and even stalled out in reverse at idle speeds. Looks like its going back to the dealer. I do know that this problem is common amoung the 4.7L and from the repair rep. He said at the first repair that it is a computer issue. They plugged codes in it and it worked for 10,000 miles. Idled rough at times but never stalled. Thats all I know about the idle issue.
  • tazzartazzar Posts: 2
    The idle problems are usually cause by a bad TPS (throttle position sensor). This is very common in the 2003 era Dodge Ram with 4.7 and others as well. They are inexpensive and very easy to replace, it takes about 30 minutes for anyone with minimal abilities. Other problems can be Cam or Crank position sensor but these usually tend to cause hard starts and LONG cranking times as well as a OBC II code. There can be several things to cause rough idle from fuel problems to ignition but in my experience 90+% are from TPS especially in the Dodge trucks around 2003 era. This issue does not always cause a OBC II code (in fact rarely does) and is very often intermittent causing it to be hard to diagnose but any mechanic should know what to look for and can fix it in minutes.... Unless he likes to see you return often to fund his kids in college...
  • We hit a deer head on with our truck. Since it was repaired, it stalls when you come to a firm stop, such as at an intersection. It will start immediately. If you cozy it up to a stop like when parking it in the garage, it doesn't stall. We've taken it to 3 dealers, who all say there are no codes, so they don't know where to look. One dealer actually test drove it with a laptop connected, got it to stall, and told us the computer showed nothing out of the normal parameters. Now its out of warranty. Any ideas?