Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Ram Idle and Stalling Problems

Comments

• I recently fixed my truck and the misfire. Just updating to help anyone in need. I finally got so frustraded of trying to nail dowm the problem myself, i took the truck to my local shop. They ran it on the computer and found now that there was misfires on cyclinders 3,7 and 8. They thought it might have been the fuel injectors, because when they unplugged the harness's on the injectors a couple of them, no loss of engine performance was noticed. They tried changing the injectors, still no luck. They also tried the ignition coil, also with no luck. They finally found that the problem was with the crank shaft position sensor, and the valve springs. They said that the metal made in u.s. isnt as strong as it use to be and over the miles they start to stretch and not last as long as they were intended. Which doesn't surprise me at all. So they replaced the springs (all 16). Ive had the truck back for almost a month now, and it has been running excellent, even better then when i bought it, and it has 167,xxx miles on the clock. It will still roast the tires like there's no tomorrow. Cost me $800.00, but it was worth it for the the way it is running now. I just hope that this may help anyone in need. ;) ;) ;)
    Dustin.
  • jeffa4jeffa4 Posts: 1
    hello all, I just picked up a used Dodge Ram 1500 5.9 v8 it runs ok at a idol
    but when i reb the eng up it ack like it want to die , I changed cap,rotor,plus & wires (gap .040) and it still dose the samething anyone have this prob ? pl help
  • sbocmansbocman Posts: 1
    My dodge keeps stalling when it is at idle. It also stall when I am driving on any road and let go of the throttle to brake, it stalls. Any info about this would be great.
  • randy2931randy2931 Posts: 2
    I HAVE A LOW RPM MISSFIRE AT IDLE ONLY, RUNS GOOD AT HIGH RPM LIKE INJECTORS OR COMPUTER THAT CONTROLS THE INJECTORS IS BAD BUT I JUST SMOGED IT AND PASSED ; LOW EMISSIONS ;RUNS ROUGH AT IDLE.IDLES ABOUT 700RPM BUT I FEEL A MISSFIRE......CHANGED CAP ROTOR PLUG/ WIRES STILL DOES IT CAN HEAR IT IN THE EXHAUST....I DONT HAVE ALOT OF MONEY TO TAKE IT TO THE DEALER... :: SEEMS LIKE 1 OR 2 OF THE INJECTORS ARE BAD ..IM NOT GOOD WITH ELECTRICAL OR COMPUTER PROBLEMS.....DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT IT COULD BE???????OR HAS ANYONE HAD THIS PROBLEM???TRUCK HAS BEEN A GOOD TRUCK HAS 209000 MILES ONLY PUT TRANSMISSION IN IT SINCE I OWNED IT SINCE 2004 HAD 84000 ON IT WHEN I BOUGHT IT ,,,,RUNS REALLY GOOD TIL I COME TO A STOP NEVER DIES JUST LOW IDLE MISSFIRE ;;;;PLEASE HELP''''''RANDY
  • dcramirezdcramirez Posts: 2
    I have a 99 Ram 1500 quad cab 5.9L engine. It doesn't show any trouble codes or engine lights on. While driving the truck engine revs at stop lights so my foot has to be firmly on the brake. It idles a little rough at times. It doesn't matter if the engine is cold or not. Any ideas what could be causing this?

Thanks
    dawn
  • randy2931randy2931 Posts: 2
    sounds like a vacume leak mabye at carb base or a vacume hose
  • dcramirezdcramirez Posts: 2
    Thanks, it gives me somewhere to start.
  • brandon18brandon18 Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500, w/ the 5.2L V8. Yesterday it started shifting weird and idle'n funny after that. Now, most the time when it tries to shift it winds up to about 3500 rpms, and it used to shift at around 2400/2500 rpms, and you have to slightly let outta the gas for it to shift. Idk whether it's a sensor or what? Help me out.

As far as the idling goes, it idled at like 1000/1100 constant before and now it idles at around 300/400 rpms. Really low. It just about dies everytime you give it gas as it idles back down.

Someone help me. Thanks.
  • tonyd0925tonyd0925 Posts: 5
    I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 3.7L V6 with approx 85K miles on it. Just put in a new clutch last month and new plugs and ttruck was running great. Suddenly this past weekend truck started a little bucking and then stalled. Stalled a few more times when sitting in idle and was still running great once I got it going up to speed. A couple of days later it was doing the same stalling thing again and after shutting it down she wouldn't start at all. Let it sit for a few hours and started up like nothing was wrong. Drove it this a.m. started fine shut it down and went to restart after about 2hrs and wouldn't start again. Tried again about half hour later and started right up and ran fine. Some say fuel pump is going, others say bad gas, and yet another says oxygen sensor. Anyone have any ideas???
  • the only thing i know is that the computer is bad and mine is doing the same thing
  • 1997 dodge ram 5.2 auto trans.
    Stalling issue was letting off gas at stops and on the freeway letting off the gas pedal and slowing down with the brake.
    Replaced fuel pump complete assembly. No joy.
    Replaced battery, was going dead ( would not start soon after shut off 60 min. or less,hot weather,phoenix ) suspect heat caused increased resistance in battery and the battery was going south. After all cooled down the battery would fire it back up.
    Now, with the new battery, no problems yet, BUT, only limited drives (about 4)
    BUT, I found this and its looks promising.
    http://www.justanswer.com/questions/1qcde-1998-dodge-ram-stalls-unless
    Will try to report back, when more testing is complete.
    Ok so had truck put on computer and it came out with a few different things. I had a bad gas cap, which caused air getting into fuel pump and caused bucking and stalling. Also had 3 spark plug coils that were bad, so I replaced all 6. And also cam shaft sensor was bad, which supposedly causes stalling & jerking and backfiring. So far truck is NOT stalling or backfiring or jerking. Total cost $245. (coils were $31. ea, sensor 35, gas cap 16) Hope this help some of you with same problems......Good luck
  • billy50billy50 Posts: 1
    I have a 1990 ramcharger 5.2 it has just started idleing rough and wants to stall when i stop, idle goes up and down like it has a miss. Runs fine driving down the road. Checked vac lines replaced almost all of them. Some times it will idle for ever and some times it doest. CAN ANYONE GIVE ME ANY OTHER IDEAS.
  • pewamo758pewamo758 Posts: 1
    My 99 1500 ram w 5.2l/318 developed a low speed miss after I changed spark plugs last week. It starts missing after 3 to 5 min of driving. At 1700 rpm in cruse control it really shakes bad, but no miss under hard acceleration. after 20 to 30 miles, the check engine light comes on. Replaced the plucs again and the wires this time, but no results. Any ideas??
    check to see if there is a possible vacuum leak or even emission leak. My check engine light came on and computer came up as emission leak. Also check your gas cap, it's amazing how a bad cap can affect the truck. If rubber is cracked or worn on inside of cap it allows air and moisture in and screws up the running of the truck......Good luck
  • alpine_alalpine_al Posts: 4
    Your low sopeed miss problem could be caused by the routing of the spark plug wires. The 5.2L is very finicky when it comes to the wires. Try this link fro instructions: http://autorepair.about.com/cs/faqs/l/bl654h.htm. Or do a Google search for the diagram. Try searching for "Coil Wire Routing (Figure 1 and 2)".
  • cm4166cm4166 Posts: 6
    I have run the truck for some time and fell that the computer reprograming has repaired the stalling issue. I will no longer make updates. Thanks and good luck.
  • asdfdaveasdfdave Posts: 7
    I've had this 5.7L truck only a couple of weeks and noticed this a few times now. I'll approach a signal and after coming to a complete stop - the engine will drop RPM's after a slight pause (3 seconds after dead stop), the lights will dim, the engine will nearly stall and then the RPM's pop back up and the lights are on at full-bright? Any thoughts? Is this a transmission issue? Thanks.
    First off if this is an '09 I would be bringing it back to the dealership because there definitely should still be some kind of warranty on it. It does not sound like a transmission problem but could be a timing problem, spark plugs gap off, a break in a spark plug coil. I would first check about warranty before hand. Good luck
  • I bought an 09 Ram with the 4.7 liter in March. Today when I started it up and pulled away from the house, the check engine light came on. I drove to the dealership but only made it halfway there before the check engine light flashed and the idle dropped to about 500 RPMs. The engine ran pretty rough so I pulled over and called up the Dodge roadside assistance to tow it the rest of the way. The dealer has it now and hopefully I hear something tomorrow. Warranty and a loaner Big Horn edition will keep me coming back to my dealership.
  • luvmytoyzluvmytoyz Posts: 3
    I have a 99 Ram 1500, 5.2, 5-speed, 150k, 4 by 4. The problem I have is intermitted and started at about 130k miles. It can be hot or cold, when your under accelleration it starts backfiring and missing (sometimes stalls), mainly when your starting to pull in 3rd gear.
    I'v changed just about everything trying to cure it after having it at the dealer and several shops. It's had everything, plugs, cap, rotor, wires, catalytic converter, and just recently a new fuel pump & filter changed. It's also been checked for vacuum leaks and fuel system ceaned.
    Anyone with any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated, I'm down to my last check in my book.
    Baffled!
    Have you tried cam shaft sensor it's also known to cause these problems good luck.............
  • Update, over 1000 miles on new battery, no stalling, problem fixed for me. Good luck to all, try out the battery if symptoms close to mine.
  • jbonholdjbonhold Posts: 1
    I need help, my 2004 ram 1500 hemi stalls after refueling, after a few miles it stops. no lights etc any suggestions 52,000 miles
  • I'm looking to get my fix very soon (it's been busy). Well, at least I hope they will fix it. My mechanic seems to think it is some sort of Vapor seal or lock. I have the same problem when refueling, as of now when I go I make sure the tank does not get filled all the way and I have been fine.

Mine is a 2004, 55,000 miles.

I will try and get it in and see if we can't get a resolution!! Partial fills on a tank that big are a pain in the butt.
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Posts: 384
    Thanks for the update.
  • corkscrewcorkscrew Posts: 254
    The pcm is very sensitive to low battery voltage. A battery that is over 3 years old should be your first check. With the engine running the battery terminals should be at 14 volts plus or minus 0.2v. Other symptoms of low battery voltage are rough idle, miss, hesitation, or surge. Check for a code relating to the auto shutdown relay circuit.Look for a bad connection on the asd relay as a bad relay or associated wiring can cause these problems because the battery charging circuit and O2 sensor heaters are controlled by the asd relay
  • 03 QC 76k miles

I do mostly city driving, less than 5 miles one way to work. I'm lucky to put 75 miles a week on it.

I've noticed that if I don't hit the interstate or highway for a week or so, I'll start to get a rough idle when parked and when at stop lights.

I open it up a little on the highway, then it will go away only to return a week or so later. This has been going on for the last 2 months.

Oddly, if I'm going slow and turn the wheel all the way left or right, the engine will rough idle for a moment, then return to normal.

I'm getting a EVAP systems leak code. Autozone said that it's mostly caused from not tightening the gas cap correctly. I made sure it was tightened all the way and no skippin the threads. I need to disconnect the battery and see if the lights go away. Could the EVAP system have any effect on the idle problem?

I'm not that familiar with trucks. I just want to get as much information as possible before taking it in. The local Dodge dealer wants $100 to test and find a EVAP leak in the lines, if there is one.
  • KCRamKCRam Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,516
    Very low usage can require as much maintenance attention as very high usage because the engine never gets a chance to heat up and work.

If you haven't done so since you've owned it, you probably could use a good tune-up. When hard highway use seems to cure your problems, that likely means you're getting carbon building on the plugs, and that occasional hard run burns it away.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host
  • corkscrewcorkscrew Posts: 254
    Here is some general info on the evap system:
    http://www.aa1car.com/library/evap_system.htm
    Corkscrew