Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Ram Idle and Stalling Problems

Comments

• i have the exact same truck and problem, could u tell me how u fixd ur misfire problem?
  • Was getting ready to put the truck on the road for the winter. When I started it Check engine light came on. Went to gas station to fill-up/ gas gauge keep going from full to empty. Just ignored as it semmed to be fine after a minute or so. Truck became sluggish. Humming noise started and became louder as I accelerated. Also heard slight rattle which seemed to be coming from under the hood. Truck would not go over 20mph without wanting to die. As I drove a mile farther kept going slower and slower always wanting to stall. Needless to say it sitting at the mall right now couldn't get it home.

Any suggestions on what it might be??

Thanks,
    Ken
  • sounds like ur fuel pump is about to go bad or the fuel pressure regulator(on top of fuel pump assembly) is stopped up. best way to test this is to do a fuel pressure test. i have a problem with my dodge..., when i go to accelerate mine gets slugish and acts like it runs outa gas but after awhile straightens itself out and at idle wants to shut off. if uve heard anything that would help me let me know.
  • my 02 was having the same problem check the oxygen sensor fuse under the hood, the fuse may not be blown, pull the fuse and use a test light to make sure you are getting power to the fuse
  • About 6 months ago I was driving along and my Dodge Ram 5.7 started to sputter as if it were running out of gas. It did this for a block or so then stalled. At a quarter tank of gas, this couldn't be the issue. I tried to start it and it only turned over. After it sat for about ten minutes it fired right up and ran fine and I dismissed it as a one time quirk......until last night! On the freeway it sputtered for a second and then stalled. No luck this time when waiting ten minutes. It just turns over and once in a while it shows signs of life like it wants to start, but wont on 3/4 tank of gas. All these posts show so many possibilities to the problem. Where should I start?
  • jgp59jgp59 Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Dodge Ram with a 5.9L 24 valve Cummins. This truck starts fine but since a -15 degree night will shut off at various times from ideling to running down the interstate at 80 mph. I've changed filter, lift pump, added power service 911, and plenty of antigel additive. I've removed the edge power chip and the problem remains to occur. All electrical continues to work its like the fuel just shuts off. So far it always restarts easily. Had it to shop for diagnostics to be ran they did them with the power chip on and were unable to make exact diagnosis, but said the injector pump had a timing issue. Any suggestions prior to me spending money for injector pump?
  • dodds1dodds1 Posts: 2
    My truck had a slight surge at freeway speeds and now will die after driving approx. 20 miles. It will start after about three tries and run normal for about 20 miles. The first two times after trying to restart it it will start, then die like it is running out of fuel. Like I said the third time it will start and run fine for 20 miles. Please Help.
  • jgp59jgp59 Posts: 2
    Sounds like mine in #69. Cummins ran diag codes and found injector pump bad.
  • my 01 1500 sometimes cuts out while driving. Its like it shuts off then goes again, the dash lights come on the radio resets. Also last weekend I was driving and the battery gauge whent all the way up. Plus the alarm some times goes off when I shut the truck off Does anyone have any sugestions I'm lost on this one Battery? Alternator I Don't know HELP
  • dodds1dodds1 Posts: 2
    Problem sounds similar but mine has issues restarting after it dies on the third attempt it will usually run ok for about 20 miles. I have not had a problem while idling. No engine codes are present. It only has a problem starting after it has stalled. I live in Phoenix, Az which in the morning is usually around 40 to 45 degrees right now which may make a difference if you are in -15.
  • also the speedomitter quit and engine brake lightsare on
  • if sitting at a stop the idle speed is high ~1200-1300rpm surging. going down the road @ 60mph the rpm surges back and forth from 1500 to 2000rpm for no reason. going down hill or small decline at 45~55mph the rpm tach up to 2200 and the rear end feels like it downshifts. PLEASE HELP!!!!
  • Mine(03 4.7) did the same. Replaced the camshaft position and the crankshaft position sensors at the same time. Worked for 2 1/2 years. Now I think my throttle position sensor just went south
  • Replaced the TPS and everything seems back to normal.
    Oh! Radiator blew up on me just as I parked at work. Not mad though-175K+ miles plus its made of plastic so you get what you get.
    Still luv my truck!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • have a 1994 1500 5.9l engine. 3 times now on roads trip travelling at speeds about 73 mph there is a sudden loss of throttle. can press on gas pedal no increase in speed- just keeps slowing down. will idle smoothly but no acceleration. shut engine down and wait for a short time period and restart will run fine the rest of the trip. had new O2 sensor and catalytic converter installed.happened again. and seems to be a drop in mpg
  • my 2000 1500 did the same thing on me in Morgantown, WVa. spent three days waiting for local Dodge dealer to order and change out the in tank gas pump.
    Seems the filter section got clogged up and would work for awhile then would stop gas flow. If I waited a couple of hours it would restart and I could drive another 30 to 50 miles and it would stop again. Had to replace entire gas pump since filter is not a separate item from Dodge.
  • i recently had a tune up done on my v8 360 magnum engine. it would spit an sputter after the tune up was done but now its stalling. it still idles rough on initial start up but now even when warm you come to a stop an it shuts down but will restart like its running out of fuel. :confuse:
  • I have a 1997 Ram 4x4 5.9l. Around 2-3 months ago my truck started acting up. Check engine light came on so i took it to a nearby auto parts store. Code came up as a cyclinder 8 misfire. i changed the plugs, wires, cap and rotor. fixed the problem. a few weeks ago the same problem happened again. truck starts fine, but whenever i give it gas it stalls, (whether in park or drive). you can feel it missing and when running you can hear it missing, like a popping noice. once again i took it to the auto parts store, cyclinder 3 misfire this time. again i changed the plugs, wires, cap and rotor. did not fix the problem. they said it could be the plugs or wires, which i already changed. or low compression, or a faulty fuel injector. i dont think the compression would be low. i really love my truck, i just dont wanna spend money i dont have if i dont need to. if anyone has had this problem or knows what i should do. any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • Good Evening,

I am extremly happy to see that I am not alone in this problem. I can't be sure when it started but the problem has been escalating.

My Dodge Ram1500 is a 2004, 5.7 Hemi and has 51,300 miles. A few times I had a stalling issue, however it always started occasionally. Then at some point it got worse.

Right or wrong, many times in the winter I fill the truck running, as I am in a Full Service state I just don't turn it off, but it was not a problem till a month or two ago. As soon as the pump clicks full, the truck shuts off and then I have trouble keeping it running. My mechanic gets in and there are no codes, but he says he resets the throttle sensor and for the most part the truck is OK, however I still have issues.

Now I turn the truck off all the time, but it tends to stall shortly after fueling, today was the last straw and on I-95 while coming to a quicker than usual stop the truck stalled, right there. I needed to hit the throttle to get it going again, then the same happen again in Stop and Go traffic and again.

I believe the issue may be focused around breaking harder than normal. I'm unsure though due to the stalling after fueling. I generally need to hit the throttle to get it going.

When it stalls, I get absolutely no lights. I love this truck and I'm about to send out the last payment, but I am getting frustrated.

I have had two O2 sensors replaced since I got the truck, but, like I said, when it stalls no lights?

Could this be a TPS problem or one of the other issues? Thoughts? I want to sound intelligent when I call either my mechanic or the dealer.

Thanks,
    CJ
  • cm4166cm4166 Posts: 6
    all I need to do is say its was my truck not yours. my 2004 ram hemi 45000 miles after filling and stopping the truck stalls, no dash broad lights on. It has happened four times. I will bring it to my shop and let you know what happens. If you fixed your truck let my know how you repaired the stalling. Thank you.