Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Ram Idle and Stalling Problems

Comments

• odaddyodaddy Posts: 1
    having same problem with 04 model, 67k miles. found out that if you take off oil fill cap that plastic piece inside is designed to catch moisture and bad oil. its part of the vacuum system, when too much moisture builds up on this part it starts to get past and clog pcv valve thus causing poor vacuum hence idle surges and stalls. bottom line is dodge put out a duzzy in this motor. im not sure what exactly causes this high amount of moisture but i clean this plastic part and pcv valve every 2 weeks cuase i refuse to pay mechanics for services that dont work. so far idle and stalling has stopped since i started this about 2 months ago. any better suggestions would help. :sick:
  • I have my mechanic working on it per se. He doesn't think it is all this TPS and all these other parts. He has contacted Chrysler, but nothing yet.

He seems to think it is some sort of issue with the vapor like or a vapor sensor.

To the last post (#85) I can mention this to him as well.
  • cm4166cm4166 Posts: 6
    I have looked up other complaints and tips for repair and I replaced the air cleaner. I am running the gas tank down to E and I wfill fill it with gas and run the truck and stop hard and see if it still stalls out. If it does I will clean the inside of the "carb" and run it down to E and start all over again. I will post what happens. Thanks
  • I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 5.1l v8 that stalls after warm. The problem first showed signs when slowing down to turn or at a stop light. Now will run fine until warm in Idle or Drive. Once warm the engine will not go into gear without stalling or will stall unless rpm's held over 1000 at idle. Have replaced the IAC and The TPS sensor. Only has 78000 miles. Any suggestions?
  • bertha01bertha01 Posts: 1
    i have a 01 ram sport 4+4 since i bought the truck if it sat for more than two days the battery would be dead,put a new battery in it and same results.recently it will barely even turn over and when it does it won't idle i have to keep my foot on the gas to keep it running.so i took it to a tech and they said my glove box light was drawing constant power,so they took it out recharged my battery and sent me on my way.everything was great until i didn't drive it for a day and now its barely starting and if it does start it's a nightmare to keep it running. DOES ANYBODY HAVE ANY IDEA HOW TO FIX THIS PLEASE ................BERTHA NEEDS YOUR HELP!
  • So I have been working with my Mechanic and they see to think there may be an issue with the Vapor sensor or lines.

My stalling issues have been most severe after fueling and generally I would only stall once or twice shortly after filling up.

Since working with my mechanic we are running an experiment where I only get $20 of fuel once I pass 1/2 tank.

I have yet to stall and I have completed this twice. He says we should do that 2 or 3 more times to be sure and then fill it, drive it, and check it.

Apparently it was an issue in the Caravan, not sure why my truck and suddenly, but progress is progress, I hate stalling.
    ------------------------------------
    For the guy with the '01 that keeps dying, could it simply be your alternator is shot? I know you had it tested, but, the glove box light does not sound like the likely culprit, not on a new battery.
    -------------------------------------
    I have filled my truck with 25.8 gals of gas in a 26 gal tank ( low fuel light was on ). I drove about 5 miles and the truck began to run rough. The rpm was running from 1000 to 2000 going up and down when at a stop light. It didnot stall and I drove fast to the next stop light which was now turning red. I stopped hard and the truck stalled out. There were no ligths on the dash broad ( no check engine light ) . It would not start the first two attemps untill I gave it gas. I fell it was starving for gas and just shut down. It my be the engine can't get the amount of gas it needs to run when the tank in very full. Ask your mechanic I will take it to the shop and let you know what the out come is. Good luck
    I found this on the NHTSA web site. Action # EA05018, investagation opened on 11/2/05 and the investagation was closed on 8/29/o07. The complaints were about stalling in 2004-2005 durangos and rams 1500,2500;3500. It reports that the autos needed to have the power train: automatic transmission:control module (TCM,PCM) reprogramed to stop the stalling issue. The report stated the autos were stalling at stop signs or at low speeds in parking lots. It makes no mention of the full gas tanks. I will has to experiment with a less then full gas tank.
    I took the truck to the dealer and explaned the stalling and the full gas tank. He stated that it has notthing to do with the fill-ups and he reprogramed the power control module and cleaned "carbon build up" inside the TPS. I will fill the truck up three times and drive it and report back. Keep your fingers crossed.
  • You described the exact same problem that I have with my 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 5.1 liter v8, 74000 miles. I've replaced the IAC. It still stalls after 15 minutes. It will restart, but stalls within a few minutes if I slow down or stop. This is a pain in the next because I use the truck for plowing snow. I'm wondering if it could be related to the fuel pump. I had a problem with it about a year ago and I had to get it fixed at the dealership (local mechanics couldn't find the problem). Perhaps this stalling problem is realted to the fuel pump problem. I hate to take it back to the dealership. Let me know if you discover a solution. Thanks, Alan
  • I recently fixed my truck and the misfire. Just updating to help anyone in need. I finally got so frustraded of trying to nail dowm the problem myself, i took the truck to my local shop. They ran it on the computer and found now that there was misfires on cyclinders 3,7 and 8. They thought it might have been the fuel injectors, because when they unplugged the harness's on the injectors a couple of them, no loss of engine performance was noticed. They tried changing the injectors, still no luck. They also tried the ignition coil, also with no luck. They finally found that the problem was with the crank shaft position sensor, and the valve springs. They said that the metal made in u.s. isnt as strong as it use to be and over the miles they start to stretch and not last as long as they were intended. Which doesn't surprise me at all. So they replaced the springs (all 16). Ive had the truck back for almost a month now, and it has been running excellent, even better then when i bought it, and it has 167,xxx miles on the clock. It will still roast the tires like there's no tomorrow. Cost me $800.00, but it was worth it for the the way it is running now. I just hope that this may help anyone in need. ;) ;) ;)
    Dustin.
  • jeffa4jeffa4 Posts: 1
    hello all, I just picked up a used Dodge Ram 1500 5.9 v8 it runs ok at a idol
    but when i reb the eng up it ack like it want to die , I changed cap,rotor,plus & wires (gap .040) and it still dose the samething anyone have this prob ? pl help
  • sbocmansbocman Posts: 1
    My dodge keeps stalling when it is at idle. It also stall when I am driving on any road and let go of the throttle to brake, it stalls. Any info about this would be great.
  • randy2931randy2931 Posts: 2
    I HAVE A LOW RPM MISSFIRE AT IDLE ONLY, RUNS GOOD AT HIGH RPM LIKE INJECTORS OR COMPUTER THAT CONTROLS THE INJECTORS IS BAD BUT I JUST SMOGED IT AND PASSED ; LOW EMISSIONS ;RUNS ROUGH AT IDLE.IDLES ABOUT 700RPM BUT I FEEL A MISSFIRE......CHANGED CAP ROTOR PLUG/ WIRES STILL DOES IT CAN HEAR IT IN THE EXHAUST....I DONT HAVE ALOT OF MONEY TO TAKE IT TO THE DEALER... :: SEEMS LIKE 1 OR 2 OF THE INJECTORS ARE BAD ..IM NOT GOOD WITH ELECTRICAL OR COMPUTER PROBLEMS.....DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT IT COULD BE???????OR HAS ANYONE HAD THIS PROBLEM???TRUCK HAS BEEN A GOOD TRUCK HAS 209000 MILES ONLY PUT TRANSMISSION IN IT SINCE I OWNED IT SINCE 2004 HAD 84000 ON IT WHEN I BOUGHT IT ,,,,RUNS REALLY GOOD TIL I COME TO A STOP NEVER DIES JUST LOW IDLE MISSFIRE ;;;;PLEASE HELP''''''RANDY
  • dcramirezdcramirez Posts: 2
    I have a 99 Ram 1500 quad cab 5.9L engine. It doesn't show any trouble codes or engine lights on. While driving the truck engine revs at stop lights so my foot has to be firmly on the brake. It idles a little rough at times. It doesn't matter if the engine is cold or not. Any ideas what could be causing this?

Thanks
    dawn
  • randy2931randy2931 Posts: 2
    sounds like a vacume leak mabye at carb base or a vacume hose
  • dcramirezdcramirez Posts: 2
    Thanks, it gives me somewhere to start.
  • brandon18brandon18 Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500, w/ the 5.2L V8. Yesterday it started shifting weird and idle'n funny after that. Now, most the time when it tries to shift it winds up to about 3500 rpms, and it used to shift at around 2400/2500 rpms, and you have to slightly let outta the gas for it to shift. Idk whether it's a sensor or what? Help me out.

As far as the idling goes, it idled at like 1000/1100 constant before and now it idles at around 300/400 rpms. Really low. It just about dies everytime you give it gas as it idles back down.

Someone help me. Thanks.
  • tonyd0925tonyd0925 Posts: 5
    I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 3.7L V6 with approx 85K miles on it. Just put in a new clutch last month and new plugs and ttruck was running great. Suddenly this past weekend truck started a little bucking and then stalled. Stalled a few more times when sitting in idle and was still running great once I got it going up to speed. A couple of days later it was doing the same stalling thing again and after shutting it down she wouldn't start at all. Let it sit for a few hours and started up like nothing was wrong. Drove it this a.m. started fine shut it down and went to restart after about 2hrs and wouldn't start again. Tried again about half hour later and started right up and ran fine. Some say fuel pump is going, others say bad gas, and yet another says oxygen sensor. Anyone have any ideas???
  • the only thing i know is that the computer is bad and mine is doing the same thing