Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Ram Idle and Stalling Problems

Comments

• Crap I cant open any of the replys I got back.....lol #187 that is!!
  • truck stalls out. must ride break and gas at all times. resets radio and clears memory.no check engine light come on. put in new throttle controll valve,no luck. HELP PLEASE.
  • I have a 2005 Hemi Quad Cab. It has been for a while now stalling when you come to a sudden stop or slow down and come to a complete stop. If you are in a parking lot going slow, for the most part will not stall but has a few times. It usually stalls when driving a long road and have to stop all the way like at a light or stop sign. If I can keep moving with out coming to a complete stop it won't stall. I am so confused about what has to be done to fix the problem. Did anyone have the same problem with the same make and manage to fix it. I feel like this should be a recall issue, but I don't think that will happen so I really need to fix it before a major accident happens. Thank you.
  • jessebrownjessebrown Posts: 8
    edited January 2011
    I had the same problem, I changed the throttle body $240.00, and the EGR valve $45.00, that fixed it completely.
    Runs great and gets more gas mileage, done saved more in gas to pay for the fix.
    Throttle body way very simple to change, and EGR valve even easier.

This problem was so dangerous , almost wrecked many times.

I do this every month , take off the oil cap on engine and clean the water out of it, that will help save the EGR valve. The moisture collects in that cap , sounds crazy but works. Clean it and drive it , you might get lucky.

That was a year ago, still running great.

Bill
  • i have the same problem but i dont have the money to fix it. what is an easier way to fix it?
  • jessebrownjessebrown Posts: 8
    edited January 2011
    Buy a bicycle, that's the cheapest. I tried to do it cheaper cost me more , good luck??
  • My Dodge Ram pickup "shutter" and dies when I brake unless I am going very very slow. It also dies in reverse usually unless it has been warmed up for quite awhile, has to hit 2000 RPM before it shifts. Any idea what the issue(s) is/are?
  • Hello,

I have been having the same idle/stalling issue with my Ram 5.2. Im on my second replacement Idle Air Control and after a couple weeks the problem comes back. If you have since resolved your problem can you please post the solution, I would surely appreciate it.

thanks,
    Ken
  • no luck on getting my problem figured out yet! I have changed everything sensor, and all the coils, fuel pump, mapsensor, took it to the dealer to have them hook it up to the computer, and they said everything was fine!! I told them its not not fine cause it still acting up...lol this has been going on for over a yr, and still no luck, and there is no check engine light when it happens. Im going to replace my O2 sensors, and try that cause they havent been replaced yet, but I dont think its those anyway cause I had replaced them long before I had this problem, but wont hurt to try. I will let you know what happens after they are replaced.
    Do you have an EGR valve on your engine? might try cleaning it also. I dont have one on mine, but not all dodge trucks do. Well good luck, and keep me posted if you find the problem with yours, and maybe it is something I havent done on my truck yet...lol
  • i changes the throttle position sensor and it fixed mine. a 30 dollar part at autozone.
  • Im sorry to hear your issue is unresolved, very frustrating Im sure. I am going to try some simple stuff first. From what Ive read I want to get my battery/charging system checked, I am also gonna pull and clean Throttle Body, looked pretty grimey in there anyway. Im leary about replacing the TPS as some here have done as a bad one is supposed to throw a code, and I am not getting any codes. It was also recommended to have my CAT replaced, but again no codes for that either. I will keep yah posted .
    Thanks,
    Ken
  • Try keeping the moisture cleaned out of the oil cap, were you put the oil in, that helps too.
  • I have been having problems with my 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 2wd stalling in reverse when you shift it from drive to reverse on a slight uphill grade. its acting like there is a brake sticking. I just changed out the u joints and it did not fix the problem, but i thought the u joints were sticking which they were but it is not the only problem. Any ideas will help. It is also not throwing any DTC's
  • remove your throttle body and thoroughly clean it. Carbon buildup causes the throttle plate to stick causing to much air to flow
  • djydjy Posts: 1
    MY SON HAD THE SAME ISSUES WITH HIS 98 DODGE. AFTER MUCH USELESS ADVISE AND MUCH EXPENSE OF REPLACING TPS,DIST CAP,ETC, ETC., AN OLD MECHANIC TOLD HIM ABOUT A LOCAL AUTO SHOP TO TAKE IT TO. SO, THIS MORNING, IT GETS HOOKED TO 4TH COMPUTER AND HE FINALLY FINDS OUT THAT IT WAS HIS MAPING SENSOR. HE REPLACED IT, BUT SE LIGHT WAS STILL ON, SO THE MECHANIC HOOKED IT TO COMPUTER TO TURN LIGHT OFF. IT IDLES NOW;NO STALLING,AND RUNS LIKE A TOP. HOPE THIS HELPS RESOLVE YOUR ISSUES. GOOD LUCK!
  • dont know if this will help. but i have 99 dodge dakota 4x4 5.2l. just had to replace battery and truck started ,but would not idle. so i went to autozone and talk to a friend there. he said their is a battery temp sensor under the battery that some time needs to be replaced,or reset. take battery out and see if theres a flat rubber on battery mounting plate. looks like a drain plug,make sure it moves freely. if it dont move you need to clean it or replace it. it help my truck by be if will help you
  • whyme12whyme12 Posts: 7
    thanks man I will check it out!! I have cleaned, and changed everything I can, and it still acts up. Not all the time but when it does its just nerv racking..lol not sure why the battery sensor might have something to do with it, but with these cars, and trucks now days it can be anything. Next they will have it set up, that you cant start the damn think cause it has a flat...lol
  • I just had the same problem with my 1997 dodge 1500 ram I replaced the Ideler air control valve it seemed to fix it
  • ken3rdken3rd Posts: 1
    Hi tank07 I have an 07 ram 1500 mega cab also and i have the exact same idle problem , my dealer can not figure it out , Im a heavy truck mechanic and I have tryed everything myself to fix it however this truck does not have an egr valve if it did that would probably be the problem but sence it does not no one can figure it out , did you get yours fixed yet if so what had to be done to fix it , this is driving me nuts .
  • kens999kens999 Posts: 7
    Thought I would report back. After replacing the IAC only to have my stalling problem creep back up in a week or two, this is what I did. Pulled the throttle body completely off the intake manifold. Removed all sensors off throttle body. Thoroughly cleaned the throttle body with a throttle body cleaner. Cleaned all sensors and connector contact pins with a dielectric cleaner. Used a new gasket when reinstalling throttle body.

Its been six weeks and the most noticeable difference for me is when I now take my foot of the accelerator, the tac needle slowly sinks rather than bounces around irratically and my truck no longer stalls (fingers crossed).

Good Luck.
  • YOU GOT IT, IT WONT START, TOOK IT TO THE MECHANIC, TOLD ME GOT FUEL PRESSURE AN THE PUMP IS WORKING CORRECTLY, NO JUICE TO THE ENGINE..... GO FIGURE,,, REPLACE WHAT THEY CALL THE POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE OR INTERGRATED CONTROL MODULE. IT IS ON BACK ORDER AT THE DEALERSHIPS BUT ONLINE I FOUND A PLACE IT COST $450.00. GUESS WHAT. IT STILL DOESNT START...GETTING COSTLY FOR THIS VET AN CANT AFFORD A HIGH BILL....ANY IDEAS.......
  • judgejustinjudgejustin Posts: 14
    Ok, I haven't read all posts but it looks like I may be able to get some ideas or help from here. I have an 07 1500 Megacab with the 5.7 Hemi 4x4. It stalls when I make sudden stops, if shifting into reverse from drive with out giving gas and sometimes just for no reason while idling. I have replaces all spark plugs, thoroughly cleaned throttle body, checked and cleaned O2 sensors, checked cooling sensor. Does anybody have any ideas. Also I have posted in the Real World MPG before with no real success. I am getting terrible fuel mileage. Right now it is right at 8 mpg in town and 9.5 on the highway. I went 350 miles on the open highway last week and pulled a 16 ft aluminum utility trailer never exceeded 75mph and averaged 7.6 mpg. I drive farely conservatively. Could either of these problems be linked or does anyone have any suggestions as to something to do about the millage, also? Thanks
  • splunkwvsplunkwv Posts: 1
    Have a 02 5.9 1500 3 out of 5 times after starting minutes later it idles rough and sometimes stalls. If you floor it she gets up and goes during the problem or if you pump the peddle it goes. After a few minutes of running like that its fine no problems. Does anyone know the solution for this problem. Thanks splunkwv
  • I have a 2008 dodge ram 1500 5.7 hemi. When I fill up with gas the engine cuts off within 10 miles of driving. It is acting like it is starving for fuel. I went to the dealership and they had no answer. I tried a new gas cap but that didn't work. Could it be the throttle position sensor?
  • I had same problem, changed complete throttle body cause my censor was built in, it keep dieing when letting off the gas . Bill
  • kgrogankgrogan Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 5.9 having the same problem did you find the problem if so i would greatly appreciate some feedback
  • whyme12whyme12 Posts: 7
    well I finally got my problem with my truck fixed!!! after about 2yrs of fighting a dead end, I put new O2 sensors on! but they were OEM not aftermarket brand!!!! all the idleing problems, and stalling, and the headaches, three little words of OEM fixes all this? just one more way for dealerships to make a buck and tell you its something else, when in fact its more than likely a o2 sensor. So maybe try replacing the o2's with the factory ones, and see how that goes.
  • I have a 2005 Ram 3500 with cummins that is also doing the same thing. The dealership is baffled as the computer is throwing no codes. When moving down the highway at regular speeds, it will shut off but comes right back. When sitting still it just flat out dies. The truck will start right back up and runs great, but repeats time and time again.

The dealership has no clue as to what to do, and has been blindly replacing parts. I am gettin tired of this, and it is getting expensive. Anyone had this problem or have any idea what it could be?