Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Isuzu Rodeo

Comments

• I want to buy a 2001 Isuzu Rodeo LS 2WD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6Cyl 4A). I am in south FL. Is there anybody buy the Rodeo recently? Can you tell me the price? Thanks!
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    You might hit more people there...

-mike
  • I am looking to buy another pre-owned SUV. I currently own a 1992 Isuzu Rodeo with 155,000 miles. I bought this vehicle used five years ago and it had 51,000 miles at the time. It has been extremely reliable. I am thinking about the 2000 Isuzu Rodeo but am concerned about safety issues with the vehicle. My husband and I are planning on starting a family in a year or two and safety is a concern. I have done some research on other SUVs and all of them have their pros and cons. Any suggestions...
  • I leased a '98 Isuzu Rodeo 4WD and only drove 26K miles in 2.5 years. My problems and experiences include:
    1) A squeaking noise developed after 3 months of driving. After a few months of checking and checking posts in newsgroups, I couldn't find the source until I oiled every joint I could find.
    2) If driving in heavy traffic, I can't turn on rear defroster as the car shuts off - drains the battery.
    3) Consistent battery problems in weather less than 35 degrees.
    4) Almost had 4 accidents due to car's failure to stop in wet road conditions. For instance a Beamer did a 360 in front of me. A Cherokee Jeep in the lane to my left was driving at the same speed was able to stop before reaching the Beamer. I on the other hand skid past the Beamer and stopped 40 - 50 ft beyond. This happened 3 more times at red lights until I got new brake pads at 13K miles but don't know if it was the cause of braking problems.
    5) Taxi backed into my front bumper at approx. 30mph causing $75 damage to the taxi and $1300 to my bumper and corner panel. You can look at the underside of the bumper and see its poor construction construction
    6) Bass sounds horrible.
    7) Consistent rear wiper problems
    8) Had to use the car jack once and guess what - it didn't work because the arm wouldn't fit into the slot.
    9) The way the spare tire is positioned at an angle, ground clearance is not much higher than a regular car. I parked next to an Outback one day and noticed my clearance was lower than the Outback - go figure.
    10) Takes a couple of tries to get the car started.
    I will return my car in June with 10K under my allowance as I truly feel it is not a safe car to drive, especially in wet road conditions and would urge all Rodeo owners to get their brakes checked as 98 is the first yr of the new model.
  • I am glad the family in that accident came out of their ordeal fine but let it be known that the Isuzu Rodeo has one of the worst crash test results as the passenger compartment crumples and severe leg and foot damage occured in test dummies. In comparison to all mid-sized SUV's, it is one of the worst performers.
  • I just got a 98 rodeo LS 2wd
    I noticed how the ride can sometimes be bumpy and how sometimes it's smooth. (On the same road same speed)
    Also car stops fairly quickly in dry weather, but in wet it doesn't stop.
    Is there anything that can do to improve my ride?
    Perhaps you need some tires? I'd suggest some Pirellis or some Michiliens.

-mike
  • drmpdrmp Posts: 187
    Hi,

I have a '99 Passport (Rodeo twin) and I can tell you that the factory shocks are CHEAP, real cheap. It's only for smooth roads and not designed to be driven on rough surface which defeats the purpose of an SUV in the first place.

Actually, I believe the harsh ride contributed to the worsening body rattles. Since I switched to MONROE MATIC PLUS, the ride was MUCH MUCH BETTER. Softer on bumps and potholes and rebound is very much controlled compared to the "floaty factory shocks", I can feel that the wheels can follow the road contour as compared to the factory shocks the abruptly jolts you up. Body ratlles were not that loud anymore. I bought it www.A-1shocks.com for about 80 bucks including shipping.

Make sure you order MONROE MATIC-PLUS and not the other line of shocks there that they are discounting and offering promos. This one has no promo but delivers a car-soft ride. Part numbers are 32336 front and 32337 rear.

I'm have more than 10,000 miles on my monroe and very very happy. I should have bought them earlier, maybe my SUV could have much much less rattles.

I tried Bilstein before the Monroes, the Bilstein are too stiff for my wife's taste, especially on long drives. IMHO, the Bilstein have superior road control, corners very flat, but I can feel every peeble on the road. Besides, the Bilstein costs about 190 bucks.

Bottomline, it depends on your taste. I prefer more comfortable ride.
  • What about stoping in wet weather,
    i had good tires on it , in good condition, and the brakes are good.
    Is it me or , is the way the the car was made
  • drmpdrmp Posts: 187
    The ABS problem has been mentioned a lot of times already and some wrecked their Rodeos due to inability to stop in time.

It turned out that the Rodeo's ABS logic is very simplistic and too sensitive. It kicks in when slowing on bumps. Once it kicks in, stopping power is so inadequate that you risk of running over people or hitting other cars.

I had a number of close calls because of it. I now learned to abort the ABS and improve stopping power by reducing the pressure on the brakes and reapplying it again. And repeat the sequence if the ABS kicks again in a very quick succession.

The ABS brakes (in general) is intended to maintain directional control while stopping. But the Rodeo's ABS gives up too much stopping power. It doesn't feel safe for me and I scared to let my wife drive it.
  • sc0rpi0sc0rpi0 Posts: 897
    Hi all.
    I'm shoping around for a new car, and right now I'm pretty much set to buy a Rodeo Sport/Amigo 2001. I based my choice mainly on parameters like engine power, mpg, reliability and, ahem, safety. I'm looking for a mini/mid-size SUV that will be able to do 0-60mph in under 8 seconds preferably, or maybe 8.5-9 at most. I've read the crash test reports on Rodeo and Amigo, and seems like Amigo is actually a bit safer than Rodeo. Still not as safe as other cars, but I guess there's a tradeoff here: if you want high degree of protection, the car has to be made heavier or with better materials (look how BMW X5 and Lexus are rated....good across the board, but can you afford a 50K pricetag?).
    What I'm asking is this: being Rodeo/Amigo owners, would you advise to buy the car? I dont have a lot of time I could spend at a mechanic fixing the car all the time. (I realize that every car has to be fixed sometimes, but it doesnt have to get ridiculous, like with my Blazer '93, which requies a $500 repair once a month). I wold be willing to make certain modifications to the car to improve safety (is there a fix for possible rollover on sharp turns/lane shifts? Dealer recommends getting the Ironman package, with Intelligent Suspension System). If you dont recommend this type of car, what would you recommend instead?
    Thank you very much,
    Andrei
  • Hi All,
    Just wanted to find out which has the most reliable data for Safety Test for Vehicles;
    IIHS-HLDI (Insurance Institute Highway Safety-Highway Loss Data Institute) or NHTSA
    (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration ??...
    On the IIHS-HLDI.... The Isuzu Rodeo 2000 is rated as Poor
    While in the NHTSA .... The Rodeo is rated 2000 Good/Safe
  • nato1nato1 Posts: 102
    I bought a 2000 rodeo ls 4dr 4x4 last october. paid $24k. ( 6disc, hood protector, cargo mat, cargo net, alloy rims). My wife loves it. lots of room, easy access (rear gate is hinged on the left, not the top or bottom). As far as safety, you'd have to be doing something pretty dumb to roll the vehicle, remember it's a sport utility, not a sports car. I'd admit the shocks are a little soft, probably put in monroe's or bilsteins when these wear out.

Let's talk about the abs. The function of abs is to release the pressure on the brake(s) that is connected to a tire(s) that has stopped spinning, or are spinning at a lesser rate of the other wheels. If the abs turns on too much, then either your tire pressure is too high (smaller contact patch), or possibly your shocks are shot,or your tires are worn too much (the softer 'wear' tread is gone).

side note: I had the same abs problem on my '94 honda accord lx/abs. I dumped the oem michelins. In winter, steel studded 'snow master' tires on all fours. Summer time, cooper cobra's on 15x7's. On dry pavement in the summer time the abs will not turn on (real phat contact patch). Winter time, the car stops, ever see a suv/truck go sliding sideways past you @40 while you are stopped at a stop light on a steep hill (going down)?
    back to the issue:
    I have had the abs turn on when I hit a big pothole (pretty common in Mass) when trying to stop. The stock/oem bridgestones, aren't exactly my choice of suv tire, but get this, they are wicked quiet and ride pretty good.
    I personally would recommend the 2000/2001 rodeo/sport,but if a family is in the near future, get the 4dr. (I'm in the same boat). You can't beat the warranty or the price. Test drive the others, pathfinder, durango, 4runner, xterra, explorer, I did.
    The rodeo isn't the greatest in real off roading, but for the times when you need the 4 wheel drive (let's see the last storm we had... 19" of snow) it's works flawlessly.
    Granted the rodeo is not a 100% refined vehicle, it won't ride like a caddy, it won't beat a corvette of the line, it doesn't handle like a porshe. ITS A SPORT-UTE!!
    (reading some of the messages that others have left, makes you wonder..) The rodeo does what it was made for extremely well.
    You may have problems with the vehicle, as like any other vehicle, check out the recalls and technical service bullitens from the nhsta.com site. Look up your other choice vehicles, see what the track record is. ( I did all this, you'll find the same conclusion I did, go get a rodeo.)

Find a good dealer. call the better business bureau in your area and find out which dealers have complaints against them. When 'wheeling and dealing', don't be afraid to walk out on the sales person, especially if the pressure is on, and 'no' doesn't work. I beat the edmunds tmv, figure the options and what not. but would have been happy at the tmv.

Hope this helps.
    Later
    Nate
  • I too bought a 2000 LS in Feb of 2000. My first SUV. The truck is rock solid. Have 14k now
    with no problem. I check the underbody regularly for leak but no thing so far. I just changed my shock to Monroe Matic-Plus. I read/research about Edelbrock IAS, Rancho RSX and Monroe
    Reflex. Since the last two are not available for the Rodeo yet so I decided to go with the Matic and wait until the Reflex becomes available. I had A1-shock here in Houston installed at $16.95 each and $35 installation. The truck has more control now. It does not bounce up and down over large hilly surface. I can drive twice the speed now on the bumpy road that I use to drive everyday. I would not dare to drive any faster before. For harshness over bump, at first it feels almost the same as the stock but now it is definitely softer as the shock settle/wear down. I just regret that I did not change it sooner. For the price and warranty, it's hard to beat the Rodeo.
  • thebord1thebord1 Posts: 1
    I am in the market for a new car (my 2000 daewoo leganza was totaled last week) and am looking to get an suv this time.

can anyone give the details about the rodeo and if i am better off leasing or buying one? The dealer i went to was trying to lease a supped up l;s (had everything except leather) for 351 and had a brand new 2000 (with sunroof, otherwise same as above) that they would only finance and were going to sell it for 21999 after rebates. what is my best bet here or should i be looking in another direction altogether?

i'd appreciate any help you can give me.
    The rodeo leases they re offering here in NY are great. Like $350/mo Zero down and a $13K buyout. IMHO excellent value vehicles.

I had a '97 that went 120K miles w/o seeing the dealer for anything. Now I have an '00 Trooper.

-mike
  • menswearmenswear Posts: 11
    I wanted to know Rodeo owner's opinions on the hatchgate design in the rear. Is it more convenient or less convenient that a traditional liftgate? Is it possible to get a Rodeo with a traditional liftgate???
    There will be a liftgate on the new Axiom, but the rodeo has the door. I always liked it cause you could stick wood and stuff out the back, also you don't have to worry about smacking it on the roof of a low garage/garage door.

-mike
    want to ask over in the owner's club area here on Edmunds Town Hall.

-mike
  • nato1nato1 Posts: 102
    I like the swing door. Plus being 6'5" tall, I don't have to worry about banging my head getting stuff out.