Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Rodeo

Comments

• mellow_9mellow_9 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Rodeo and I found that the spare tire bumps against the rear bumper and the tire has to be lifted securely to the bottom of the vehicle. I raised it once and have discovered it came down again. Have not figured out how to make it stay. The dealer kindly offered to charge me $30.00 to adjust the bumper. Duh?? The tire can still swing and reach the bumper after adjustment. Hope this helps.
  • hikick1hikick1 Member Posts: 39
    I found that fuse #2 (stop light)was causing my mystery battery drain. If I leave the fuse out, my battery quickly recovers. If I leave the fuse in, it willl drain a new battery in a week. It causes a clicking noise when I put it in or remove it. If I hold down the brake pedal. It does not click. It will also click if I wiggle the transmission lever. But not if I hold down the brake. My interior and exterior lighting are in perfect working order. My next step is to unplug the stop light switch and leave the fuse in to see if the battery still drains. I do not have cruise control. Any suggestions or experience is greatly appreciated. I will follow up with the results of unplugging the stoplight switch with fuse in.
  • jfsstx1jfsstx1 Member Posts: 3
    :shades: Hi I usually dont respond to many of the letters ,however in this case, I see you are being led down the wrong trail.
    It is most likely,speaking from knowledge and exp.your fuel pump is a motor and the longer you run it the hotter it gets and obviously heat makes things expand so what your expieriencing is the built in check valve has expanded ,and/or distorted therefore letting fuel pass back to the tank when the key is off ...next time try
    ,when it happens turn the key to "on" not crank
    for 5 seconds three times and see if starts right up
    if it does the problem can be easily fixed by replacing the fuel pump assembly with screen...good luck
    If Brian424 is correct, and you find a fuel pump for your year vehicle to be expensive (the going price for my 92 was averaging 300.00 for the pump), try JCWhitney. There price was only about one third everyone elses. Good luck.
  • c_vargac_varga Member Posts: 1
    When starting my 2000 Isuzu Rodeo for the first time after it has sat for a while it sputters and sometimes stalls out. I am not very mechanically inclined and would appreciate any suggestions on where to start.
  • jmoore81jmoore81 Member Posts: 13
    Has anyone had trouble with the serpentine belt slipping off the fan pulley and getting tore up by the ridge on the pulley. It looks like the fan pulley is farther our that the rest of the pulleys.
    yes,
    A few months ago I posted about two new shredded belts. I happen to put a used belt on my 92 rodeo and the shredding stopped. But my new belts were shredded after about 2 drives along the ribs. The shredded belts did not shred anymore after the first three pieces of some lines were gone. But I was not comfortable driving on half a belt. My friend said my harmonic balancer pulley (crankshaft pulley) was causing it. But the problem stopped with the O.E.M. belt. Go figure??
  • dalforddalford Member Posts: 3
    My 1995 Rodeo LS has been perfect for 10 years. Now I’m having a major problem with the alt. Belt. After having the timing belt replaced the alternator will not stay on. In the beginning I saw a slight misalignment between the alt. and the Fan pulley. The alt was out just enough to push off one rib of the belt on the fan pulley. I replaced the alternator with a new one and put everything back on but it just throws the belt as soon you rev the engine. Has anyone had this issue?
  • ovilucaoviluca Member Posts: 2
    Hello everyone,
    On my '95 Isuzu Rodeo V6 2WD manual, at the dashboard I have a light coming on and off when I'm driving showing M/S. I believe is related to transmission, but I'm not sure. Can someone tell me what that means?
    Thank you.
    Got an update. The harmonic balancer or crankshaft pulley bolt was very loose. I put a ratchet on the bolt and to my suprise it turned with little effort. Now have purchased another balancer but don't think that I will need it. The old parts looks fine. There are no moving parts, so what could go wrong with this thing.
  • cosmokramercosmokramer Member Posts: 1
    I've had an 01 Rodeo S 4-cyl for over a year now and the AC has been a problem since I bought it. It does not cool properly. Sometimes it doesn't kick in for long periods of time. Other times it comes on for a few minutes and then shuts off. I've had two places check it out and both say it is charged properly and working the way its supposed to. It has no leaks. One technician tells me that this model works differently than other cars. He says the AC works on an economy mode where it runs until it thinks it is cool enough and just shuts off, where other cars bypass the economy mode and just stay on constantly. Any help would be appreciated.
    Update 3. The bancer was damaged and the crackshaft sproket as well. It looks like the shop that I used to install a main crankshaft oil seal, screwed up. I had to do goood bit of banging to get the balancer off and found the alingment pin had been sheered off. Also the alignment chanel in the balancer had been worn to about double its width. So the new balancer purchase was needed and I got a new alignment pin from the dealer (4.00). Now the problem is getting the crackshaft sproket off of the crankshaft. Due to the alignment pin being damaged, it is even harder to get off than the balancer. I might have to heat this thing up to finally get it off.
    I have an 01 with a V6. It was doing the same and I took it to a car wash and washed out bug and dust from the radiator and it helped alot. Another thing is it only cools very well when the selector is on recirculate.
  • xmilxmil Member Posts: 7
    first major problem ive ever had with my 94 rodeo,, but i found someone selling a power steering pump for a 97 rodeo ,, i think basically the same body and engine , they are compatible huh .........if not i just bought a power steering pump for your vehicle....lol so let me know
  • ovilucaoviluca Member Posts: 2
    Hello,
    There is anybody who might know that?
    Please let me know.
    Thank you.
    Never heard of or seen it before. Not even in my repair manuel. Sorry. Anybody else?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I wonder if it stands for Mud/Snow. Does yours have a dashboard switch to activate 4WD shifting on the fly?

Steve, Host
  • Boris2Boris2 Member Posts: 177
    Just a wild guess... you think it could be "Manual Shift"? On my '01 it shows U/S when it thinks it's time to Up-Shift the gear... maybe they used different terminology on other models. :confuse:
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Seems like we've heard it before.

"Isuzu dealers sold just 638 vehicles in the U.S. in May, down 48 percent from the previous year."

Isuzu's 2007 Line May Be Final Year in U.S. (Inside Line)

Steve, Host
    hey i think your right, i was going to reply that same thought , its the only thing i can think of ive got an 94 and it says u/s when ready but also says it in 5th gear ... does yours?
    Yep, mine shows u/s... hmm... if 94 shows u/s and '01 shows the same thing i doubt they changed for just 1-2 model years in the middle. Gotta be something else
  • i_luv_my_rodeoi_luv_my_rodeo Member Posts: 5
    I have a 95 Isuzu Rodeo. I have been having quite a few problems with it, and any mechanic I take it to is just as clueless as I am. When I crank it up, there are four lights that automatically come on up on the dash. There is a small box on the dash with a display screen that looks like where a clock should be. These lights say somethin like Power Brake, Winter Break, Check Transmission, and somethin else. My problem is that when I start the vehicle and put it into drive, it takes off into third gear and the "check transmissioin" light is blinking in red. When that light is flashing, nothing seems to work on it! The AC has quit, the windshield wipers and I'm sure there is more that doesnt work, I just havent noticed yet. Everyone I've taken it to has checked it, and they dont seem to think it is the transmission; they seem to think it is a problem with the brain telling the transmission what to do and how to work. The last thing I was told was that I would have to take it to a dealer and get them to hook it up to a special machine (that could only be done at the dealer shop), and that it would be $80 just to hook up the machine. I was wondering if anyone has had this problem or problems similar. I would kinda like to know if anyone knows of something else I can try before I take that extra leap. Thanks.
    Maybe,.... I had similar problems( I think). The "quit working" is vague. What exactly quit working? I had a broken little wire under tthe trans stick cover inside/under the console. There were two little wires barley soldered to some little electrical system. It evidently controlled shifting somehow. When it broke, my check trans light flashed quickly and it would not move. I soldered it back. It is possible your shift link next to your trans under car is not adjusted correctly in relation to your shift stick..are the other components simply not working or related to the trans problem? Need a lot more info...Maybe you should take to auto electrical shop???
    Thank you very much! I never thought to look there. I had gone and bought a Owners Manual for Isuzu Rodeo's hoping to find something there, and apparently it never mentioned anything there. I will most definitely try that tomorrow and see how things look. Im not sure if the components themselves arent working or if it is related to the trans. It just seems that every time I am having problems with my trans, something stops working. But as you also stated, it is connected to an electrical systen, so it is very possible that there is a connection. I will keep you updated on how things go and soon as I find out something. Again, thank you very much.
  • lilred4lilred4 Member Posts: 1
    my 2.6 - 4 cyl started smoking water thru exhaust pretty bad. Changed head gasket and head. Started it up, ran it 2 minutes and is still smoking. Is there anything else it could be?
    I promised that I would keep everyone updated on how the trans check went. I did as you said, and checked the wires and everything seemed to look fine. I found a dealership nearby that worked on Imports Only. They checked it out and found out right away that it was not the transmission...it was the computer, located under the dash, that controlled the trans. So I have to buy a new computer for it and get it recoded. I will admit, it is a rather expensive procedure, but I guess it will be well worth it! Thanks for everything everyone!
    Anybody knows how to replace the spray nussle on '01 Rodeo? One of the front ones on my truck is acting up. I can't be complicated, but, so far, i couldn't find how to remove and replace it.
  • jorgeperez16jorgeperez16 Member Posts: 4
    Does anybody can help me with the following issues with my Rodeo 2001.

1) The engine fan sounds like a plane when I turn it on, after a while it calm down but randomly the noise come and go. I replace the fan cluth and the noise still there, Does anybody has an idea of how to fix this problem, or have experience the same issue. :sick:

2) I notice a noise when I turn on the A/C, it sounds like It needs gas, but if I acelerate a little bit, the noise goes away, any idea what could it be the problem? :confuse:

Please advise

JP
  • harjpharjp Member Posts: 2
    Are you talking about the window washer fluid spray nozzle?

The driver's side spray nozzle on my girlfriend's '99 Passport stopped working. I tried removing it, but it was a PITA.

Went to buy a replacement nozzle and was advise to just take a very, very thin piece of wire and insert it into the nozzle to clean it out. The Honda service guy I spoke to gave me a service tag and I used the wire from that. Worked like a charm.
  • harjpharjp Member Posts: 2
    Anyone else have or know about this problem? I'm hoping it's a speed sensor or something else that's cheap and easy to fix. Any help would be appreciated!
  • bahmedbahmed Member Posts: 66
    It is a common problem on the Rodeos, it is due to the wearing out of the electric slide connections inside something called the "Mode Switch" or "Range Switch" or the "Transmission Range Switch", it is located right next to the transmission on the Driver's side, just get it changed, the part is around $140, it is a tricky installation. All this Switch does it it tells the computer which gear are you in. The first thing you may want to eliminate is the low transmission oil or very old transmission oil, the timing belt may also cause this if you had your timing belt changed recently. I had this issue for some time and did extensive research, it was the Mode Switch and I did not have that problem since I got it changed. Hope this helps
    IF the compressor is kicking in when you press the A/C switch (you can confirm this when you hear a click noise from the Engine compartment). IF you listen carefully you even hear the click noise when you depress the A/C switch, which means Compressor clutch disengaging. Check something called "Pressure Switch", this switch turns the compressor off when the Freon is low, when this switch malfunctions, it shutts off the compressor even when the Freon is fine. Untill and unless it is a computer fuel economy trick and freon is fine, I would guess it is the Pressure Switch, have you tried the A/C on a highway ride and try it with the Recirculate mode rather than the Fresh Air mode.
  • turboplannerturboplanner Member Posts: 1
    First start of the day my Rodeo starts, pumps out heaps of blue smoke then dies after a few seconds, after 5 or 6 attempts you can hear the injectors crack, and the engine works well for the rest of the day.
    Mechanics refer me to autolecs, autoelecs refer me to mechanics.
    Anyone have any ideas?
  • draymond2draymond2 Member Posts: 134
    I see a ton of these for sale with hardly no miles at very reasonable prices. Are the reason for the low miles because they are being repaired all of the time?

Can you Rodeo owners give me some advice on whether I should consider buying?

Thanks...... :confuse:
  • bigbill3bigbill3 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 97 rodeo with 130k miles. It has been problem free until recently. The heater fan quit working. I have tried several things but none have worked. I tested the fan motor and it runs fine when straight wired to the battery. I have switched relays, didn't work. I put in the new 90$ resistor and it didn't work. I put in a used switch [dash] and it didn't work. I have had the alternator tested and it is good as well as the plug into the alt. Now it is also not wanting to crank at times it will only click [like a bad solenoid] and after several tries it will finally crank and start. I've been fixing my own cars and trucks for years but I am at my wits end with this one. Please help!!
    Thanks,
    Bill
    hey,, ive had my 94 rodeo 4 wheel drive for 2 years now
    bought it with 120,000 miles on it it has 157,000 on it now.. ive abused her off road and on the streets but if you take care of her shell take care of you..i havent had the first major problem with it and would definitly recomend a rodeo to anyone looking for a reliable vehicle .
    hope i helped
    jay
    You mean the Air Vents Blower not working or the fan next to the Radiator on the inside. As far as the cranking of the car, move your gear shift to nuetral and then move it to Park with a little jerk, if it cranks without any issue, then it is the Transmission MOde Switch position has changed or probably it is worn out by now. Transmission Mode Switch is part of the circuit (safety) which prevents the Rodeo from starting if it is NOT in Park, even the Gear Shift is in Park, if the Mode Switch is bad, it is not telling that to the computer correctly.
  • hangmanclawhangmanclaw Member Posts: 3
    I have a problem with my 95 rodeo , when it is cold out side it run,s fine, but when it is warm,hot it run,s for 10 to 15 min then dies, after i wait 30 to 45 min it will restart,then in 15 to 20 min it repeat.s the same cycle,i cant drive it in to town becouse it wont run long enough ,and with the problem it has it would take 4 to 5 hours,has anyone had this problem,or can anyone give me some insight on how to solve it , i have allready replaced the relays,not it, bought a coil pack from junk yard , not it ,after replaceing these items it made no changes at all .
    Possible causes could be Crank Case Positional Sensor, Coolant Thermostat or Intake Gasker Leak, do you have CEL, you might want to check for any codes, places like AutoZone pull codes for free. If the Rodeo stalls when you are taking turns then probably it is the Crank Case Positional Sensor. Watch for the Temparature Needle and observe at what temperature does the Car dies.
  • syamevetssyamevets Member Posts: 1
    Had to take the my rodeo in because the engine coil blew, and now they are telling me that the catalytic converter needs to be replaced; the cost $2,150. I can't find any emissions warranty info on the 2002 models. Does anybody no if this is covered under warranty, if not should the converter have lasted longer than 90,000 miles. Need advice desperately. If it is not under warranty should I pay to have this done or I am throwing money away??
    That is insane. The part only cost 86 dollars at autozone.
    dont know if its under warranty or not but that is rediculas price ...go to an auto parts store order a converter for about 90 bucks easy to install bout 8 small bolts , if you didnt want to buy one you could gut yours... wont pass inspection but adds a little sound ......lol well let me know what you do and how it goes
    late
  • wlbrown9wlbrown9 Member Posts: 867
    Powertrain warranty for original owner is 120 months/ 120000 miles. Not sure if that covers the cat converter. What does the coil have to do with the Cat Converter? There should be 6 coils...one on each plug, maybe $150 for a replacement part.

Call Isuzu for more info

For Ownership and Vehicle Inquiries:
    Owner Relations
    (800) 255-6727
  • socalstevesocalsteve Member Posts: 34
    Shortly after getting my '04 Axiom, a coil went out and it blew the catalytic converter. Both were replaced under warranty. It seems like the coil should count under a powertrain warranty, and they should fix the collateral damage of the cat as well.
  • 02rodeogirl02rodeogirl Member Posts: 1
    My ABS light has just started coming on. I had all my brakes replaced a few months ago. I thought maybe the light was coming on because the fluid level had dropped. Asked the shop to check the fluid level when doing oil and they said the level was fine. He thought it might just need to be replaced because of "gunk" making the sensor stick???? But he did indicate this may only solve the issue for 6 months and then come back.

Should I just get use to the pretty light?
  • rodeoman7rodeoman7 Member Posts: 1
    Hey everybody im new to this so dont hate me too much lol
    ok so i have a isuzu rodeo and it has been pretty good so far. I bought it new. However, recently a problem has emerged. When i turn on the car, sometimes the transmission light doesn't appear on the dashboard (the middle column of lights labeled P R D and so on). The car is able to drive and reverse but when driving the car, I like feel something is wrong. It makes werid sounds and creates a boom feeling under the car. However, its not always like that, sometimes the transmission light does turn on (middle column on dash board) and the car drives fine.

Any suggestions on what is wrong??THANKS ALOT U GUYS
  • damiankdamiank Member Posts: 1
    My 1998 3.2L Isuzu Rodeo won't switch to 4x4 after being driven on the highway @ 100 kwh. I am trying to engage at speeds of 10 - 50 kmh. But the indicator light just keeps on blinking. I recently changed all the fluids. I have owed the truck since January and have engaged 4x4 at least twice a month since I bought it.
  • gene13754gene13754 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I am a new memeber and have a question to anyone that can help me. I own a 1992 isuzu rodeo. It runs wonderful when it is cool outside...like fall weather. But when it is 80 degrees or hotter it runs like crap. I changed plugs, oil chnage, changed filters....but acts like it skips. Also the abs light comes on...but only once in a while.... I would be so grateful if someone could help me ..thanks.
  • jlp63jlp63 Member Posts: 1
    I have the air vents problem noted by bigbill3 with my 95 Rodeo. Blower neither works with the A/C or heat on. Had a mechanic repalce the resister, but that did not do the trick. That mechanic then said it was electrical, but could not trace the problem. HELP!
  • rodeobritrodeobrit Member Posts: 2
    Hi, 1992 Rodeo, 175k, 4WD stick, second we've owned and love it. Battery warning light has started to come on until about 2,200 RPM; stays off until revs drop back down to about 1,800, then does it all over again. Belts tight, no other reportable issues. Voltage regulator? Alternator? How can I tell...?

Cheers!