Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Isuzu Rodeo

Comments

• jbkennedyjbkennedy Posts: 70
    Does anyone own or have test-driven a 2.2L 4 cylinder Rodeo? Is the power sufficient?
  • drmpdrmp Posts: 187
    Try 2001 Honda Passport EX (with leather) for 26 grands. It doesn't have the intelligent suspension but reviews about intelligent susp is not that great. There are many aftermaket shock upgrades for just about a hundred dollar with much better ride quality. I used Monroe matic shocks with very comfortable ride.

Honda drivetrain warranty is NOT 10 years but feedbacks reveals that ISUZU gives their customers a run-around when they deserved warranty coverage and the aftersale services were mostly horrible.
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    is still 120K miles warranty. Isuzu does do some run-around, but it's mostly the dealers which IMHO you can get a good dealer or bad dealer for Honda or Isuzu, the only differences I've seen is when you move from average cars to Lexus, BMW, Caddy etc. then the service is better.

-mike
  • bperry4bperry4 Posts: 1
    I'm seriously considering buying a 01 Rodeo S. I'm not sure about the options however. Does anyone have opinions on the alloy wheels as steel? How about the stereo - I'm thinking after market rather than $575 for the "comfort package" which includes the ad player. Any comments are appreciated.
    The steel rims actually look decent.

-mike
  • radmdradmd Posts: 4
    drmp - Thanks for the input. I managed to get their invoice with the dealer cost column, and including the leather, $28,300 is really their actual costwith the holdback subtracted, no more or less. But you're right it does seem steep for a 2000 demo. I may end up buying a 2001 Black LSE with the gold package and cargo tray, instead. After calling around, the best price I could find was $29,900 with the 0% financing. That price only leaves $500 profit for them coming out of their holdback.

Will I need to put Monroe Matic shocks on if it has the intelligent suspension system, or can I even do that?

Also, what can I do before buying that can assure me that the warranty will be honored. Someone had suggested getting it in writing that they will fix any rattles, squeeks, or excessive wind noise before agreeing to buy it. That seemed like a good idea. What else should I be wary of, or try to ask for before buying?
  • jbkennedyjbkennedy Posts: 70
    I pulled up Edmund's TMV on a Rodeo LS 2wd and it's $1,000 below invoice!! What am I missing here? Is it really possible to purchase a Rodeo for $1,000 below invoice and get 0.0% financing for 60 months to boot?
    You can't have both. Not to mention that the TMV is pretty inaccurate.

-mike
    The intelligent susp have number of sensors that are linked to the shocks. Therefore, it's useless to get the intel. susp option if you plan to replace the shocks.

I have tried the intelligent susp. on a short trip and the ride is evidently SOFTER on bumps and dips while eliminating too much bouncing and brake dives and axcess tendency to lean when cornering compared to the OEM shocks.

However, reviews on it indicated that it's too soft and bouncy (?) on really rough trails.

The monroe matic that I used is not as soft on big bumps than the intel. susp but aside from that, the difference are not obvious to me (IMHO).

I still think, you'll be happy with the intel. susp because it's very comfortable especially on long drives.

I don't have answers to your other questions.
  • nato1nato1 Posts: 102
    Radmd
    Get the '01 lse instead of the '00. You'd be doing them a favor if you bought the '00. For pretty much the same money, you'd know where the first 5k miles are going to be.
    The isuzu web site is pretty good on stating what isuzu covers under warrantee. (actually I think it is the only car manufacturer that puts that stuff in English).
    I have had no problems with my '00 rodeo (except for the ce light when the gas cap wasn't tightened).
    If the dealership really wanted to get the '00 off the books, they would wheel and deal. Offer them $18k and see if the throw you out.
  • yuri2iyuri2i Posts: 2
    After I bought 2001 Rodeo, I've read about breaking problem, and I was lucky to have a snowstorm at the next day.
    I believe this is fixed on 2001, as I did try it on the snow, wet rout and it perform very well
    And anti lock works just fine.
  • sc0rpi0sc0rpi0 Posts: 897
    I like manual transmission. Aside from getting better gas milage (well, 1mpg, doesnt make any difference), it's simply different now that everyone drives an automatic. Just a feeling of kicking it into gear :) I'm going to try to talk a dealer into talking to the headquarters about building me one. Not sure how successfull that will be. Have you heard of anyone putting a hard top onto the original soft top model?
    Andrei
    I think there are a bunch of places that make hardtops to fit the softtop versions of the Rodeo-sport and Amigos. Try a place that does hardtops for wranglers.

-mike
  • crp_2099crp_2099 Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 Rodeo LS and the brakes are squeaking loudly. I ask the dealer if they had something that could take the problem away and they said the brakes are hard and squeak alot. I was wondering if anyone else has this problem of the brakes squeaking and if so do you have a resolution.
    thanks
  • gte463fgte463f Posts: 3
    I am seriously considering purchasing a 2001 Rodeo LS 2WD, so I drove one today. I thought everything was great (handling, braking, acceleration, etc.) especially considering the wet pavement we had in Atlanta today. Anyway, on tight turning tests that I gave the car, I heard a loud scraping/rubbing sound that seemed to be coming from the wheel wells (CV Joint?). Does anyone have this problem with a new Rodeo? Thanks for the help.
    The 2WD doesn't have CV joint at the front. The sound is most likely the new tires that tend to be squeeky when new, espcially when making u-turns (I had similar experience when mine was new). There's nothing to worry about that.
  • dcbryandcbryan Posts: 1
    Hey, I am currently looking to buy a used 1997 LS with 46K in immaculate condition. He's asking $10,400 and said he would take $10,000. This seems too good to be true. Should I be suspicious or should I jump on it?
  • gte463fgte463f Posts: 3
    When looking to add parts, does anyone have a website or catalog they prefer for brush guards, running boards, alloys, any extras, etc. or would you go with the dealer-installed options? They seem to be a little pricey. I was quoted 695 for a black brush guard installed and 495 for step tubes.
  • drew_drew_ Posts: 3,382
    The IIHS has tested both the previous generation Isuzu Rodeo (the one you currently drive), as well as the 2000-01 Isuzu Rodeo/Honda Passport. You may be interested in the reports:
    http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/96004.htm

http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/00014.htm

Here is the entire overview of all of the SUVs that the IIHS has tested:
    http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/summary_midsuv.htm

While this is only one aspect that you should consider WRT safety, the test is a good indicator of the strength of the vehicle's structure and the safety cage in a severe accident:
    http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/offset.htm

http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/def.htm

Hope this helps a little in your search!

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards