Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford F-Series General Operating Questions

missourifordmissouriford Member Posts: 1
I recently bought a 1991 Ford F150 and had a couple questions. How do you remove the Gear and Rod that hooks to the motor and then to the wiper arms. I didnt want to pry on them becuase Im not sure how the rod slides out. I need to get these out so I can clean the rod. Truck has sat awhile and has corroded on the rod making it noisy and slower. Second I have a bad automatic door Window Switch. After looking I see its almost impossible to get to the motor. Whats the easiest way to check the motor or remove it.

Comments

• threnthren Member Posts: 1
    Checking the window motor is as simple as removing the wiring harness plug and energizing it or putting a meter on the socket.

If the window isn't going up, but you can hear the motor working, you probally broke the bushings in the window motor (common occurance). Replacement bushings are available on EBay, I've heard of people fabricating them from vacuum hose too. Ford, of course, wants you to replace the entire assembly.

Removing the window motor is relatively easy. Assuming you already too the door skin off. Unplug wiring harness. Looking thru the access hole near the hinge side, you'll see one 8mm bolt. Remove it (ratcheting box wrench works great here). Put a wood or plastic shim in the window to prevent it from falling into the door. Looking at the inner door skin, you'll see two divits just toward the striker side, high and low of that 1st bolt. Drill out each divit with a 1/2" drill bit. This exposes the the two remaining 8mm bolts. Remove with a 8mm nut driver. You'll have to catch the motor when you remove the 3rd bolt. Pull it down low and around to the big access hole near the striker side of the door.
  • columbo1columbo1 Member Posts: 2
    can anyone tell me how to move my bucket seat back in my 97 f350 ext. cab. just purchased for towing but i am 6'3" and long legs, need mor leg room------------help!!!
  • columbo1columbo1 Member Posts: 2
  • hwjhwj Member Posts: 1
    NEED TO SELL DUE TO DEATH. 2000 FORD STARCRAFT CONVERSION VAN - HERITAGE SERIES. 86,000 road miles. EXCELLENT shape,
    Maintenance excellent and 4 new Michelan tires.

HELP! Can not find any information even close to what I need!

THANKS EVERYBODY!

SR
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Your best bet is to post this question in our Real World Trade-In Values discussion where various pros can give you a good evaluation.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • skidooluvrskidooluvr Member Posts: 2
  • skidooluvrskidooluvr Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone tell me where the Vin is located on about a 2001 F2 or 350 . The usual places have been changed . This vehicle has been abandoned at my place and am trying to find it,s history . Can,t do a thing without VIN . The one in the window and on the door (can tell it has been changed) comes back as a 2000 F150 stepside . NOT EVEN CLOSE . Is a 4 door club cab . THANX for any help .
  • thorstruckthorstruck Member Posts: 2
    The truck lately has been losing power on hill climbs. When I hit the pedal for more power on a staight away steep climb it starts losing power. The check engine light came on and the engine start shaking. I changed the air filter, fuel filter and did an oil change. The check engine light was off when I brough ot to service so they couldnt read it. It seemed fine for a week and then it did it again. Any idea?
  • thorstruckthorstruck Member Posts: 2
  • judyintexasjudyintexas Member Posts: 2
    We just bought a 2006 F-250 from an individual. He did not have the window sticker and we would like to know what options are on the truck. Is there a web site where we can get this information? Or, is there another way to get the options information?

Thank you very much.

JudyinTexas
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Hi Judy and welcome to the Forums!

Any Ford dealer should be able to give you a print of this from the VIN. Just check with the service department manager.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • judyintexasjudyintexas Member Posts: 2
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    Mark.
  • maryimanutt4maryimanutt4 Member Posts: 1
    Why does my truck lose power when it rains but in low himidity or cool weather it doesn't, and how do I fix this?
  • tjfitztjfitz Member Posts: 41
    I have a 1999 Ford F150 and the nylon (?) bushing on one of the linkage arms broke and the wipers don't work. I have ordered a set of four bushings through RockAuto.com (Dorman part number 49451, "Wiper Linkage Bushing") at $4.92 plus $7.78 for priority mail shipping.

I've tried, without success, to get the wiper motor and the linkage arms out from the space under the cowl in front of the windshield (after removing the cowl), but kept getting things jammed and panicked, thinking I couldn't get the hood closed and would be without transportation if I kept going, so returned the motor and linkage to their usual positions after much twisting and turning and getting red-in-the-face.

Do I have to disconnect the arms linkage from the wiper motor before removing the arms linkage? I hope I don't have to take the hood off!
  • geauxtigers2geauxtigers2 Member Posts: 1
    Hello all: I'm new to this forum and would like to get any feedback on the F150....any and all! I currently have a Chevrolet Colorado and I'm looking to upgrade to a full size truck. "Hearing" a lot of things on performance/quality/comfort from Ford, Dodge and Chevrolet owners; however, I know that "hearing" is not always believing! So, I'd like to get some feedback on anyone who has recently purchased a 2010 F150...thanks for the help!
  • rvd1rvd1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1989 F150 with a straight 6. The " check engine " light is constantly going on. Oil is OK. Water is OK. In 1989 these trucks didnt have a computer memory. This pickup has 139,000 miles on it.

Second, when the truck is cold it runs real smooth, but when it gets up to temp.It gets noisey like lifter noise.

Third, it rides like a lumber wagon. Everybody says " Well thats short wheel based pickup for you"Any special shock that would make a difference ?I have monroes on it now.

I have had it for 9 years and I try to take care of it. Probably better than my wife.
  • lecha1lecha1 Member Posts: 4
    I have a problem with my passenger power window. It is really weird because I can roll up and down the window if I use the switch in the passenger door, so I swapped the switches to see if the switch in the driver's side was bad, but my driver's side switch worked on the passenger's door; then I knew that the driver's side switch was good. I swapped them again and went back to the same situation. The weird part is that if I roll down the window using the passenger switch I can roll it up using the driver's switch. It is only that I can not roll down the passenger window using the driver's side switch. Is there any relay involved here?
    :confuse:
  • mtairyordgemtairyordge Member Posts: 144
  • mtairyordgemtairyordge Member Posts: 144
    Recently purchased 2011 F150 XLT with 501A package. This has the phone button on the center console. Can anyone tell me what i would need to activate the bluetooth handfree phone? Are there any controls that should be on the steering column.