Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• I'm thinking of buying a 1995 XE, 5-Speed and wanted to see if you all could alert me to any potential problems to watch out for on these vehicles. In particular, how long does the clutch generally last on these vehicles?

The vehicle has 53K miles and the owner is selling for 11.5K/bo.

Any thoughts/comments would be appreciated.

Thanks.
  • smithmdsmithmd Posts: 167
    I think that most of the people on this forum have recently purchased 1999-2001 Pathfinders and probably don't have a good answer for you. At the address below is a forum with many owners that have the Pathfinder you are looking at and would be better qualified to answer your questions. Also, while this Edmunds forum is very informative and helpful, the forum listed below seems to be frequented by people with more mechanical knowledge.

http://forums.vmag.com/suvpathfinder0200/

Personally, I think a '95 with a 5-speed with only 53K miles sounds like a great vehicle! Good luck with your purchase. I hope you get a good answer at the other forum.

• Thanks for the redirect to the other site.
  • poswaldposwald Posts: 38
    pathy57,

I also just turned 12,000 miles and I am coming up on my 1 year anniversary of my 01 LE. I can second that the gas mileage is getting better. At first I thought it was a fluke but I have recently confirmed this. Maybe some of it is that I don't nail the throttle as much as when I first got it but maybe some of it is also the engine settling down.
  • woodyr1woodyr1 Posts: 142
    I bought a Pathfinder XE in 1994, being a new 95 model. I traded it in last month at 100,000 km (62,000 miles) and bought a 2001 XE.

I was happy with my 95, hence my purchase of another one. I had original brakes, muffler and clutch on mine. I had replaced 4 oxygen sensors under warranty (6 years back then), a pilot bearing for the clutch, and recently, exhaust manifold studs. I understand there was a problem with the manifold studs, but would agree with smithmd that the vmag forum is a good source of information. I sure miss my 95, even though I find the power of the 2001 quite refreshing (I live in mountainous country).

Woody
  • brian60brian60 Posts: 76
    Best friend had a 95 SE with the bad studs that ended up warping both exhaust manifolds. Cost about $500/side to repair and it was not done under warranty because he bought the car used. Other than that, it was a great vehicle and I still think it's one of the "tougher" looking vehicles out there.
  • filodfilod Posts: 189
    wcroland,
    Installing it yourself is not difficult. You only need a philip screwdriver and a rachet. No drilling.

I found it a little difficult installing the new hinges because of the hydraulic (not sure of the right name) that pulls the window. You have to pull this a little bit to fit the screws back.

If you are one of those that do some household chores, you can easily do it. If not, maybe you can ask the dealer to do it for you for about $50.

Be sure you have all the parts with it specially the new hinges to replace the old one.

You will enjoy looking at your PF when installed. Good luck!
  • Hi, 840 miles and already an oil leak. I took the car back to the service center and they told me that the rear main seal is leaking. It looks like the silver bell houshing that has a hole in it but not a hole. However it is leaking oil and lubricant from there. No problem until now. The technician said he will order the rear main seal part and it will take a day to fix it. Sad that this car has problems already. He said it might go awaY because the manufacturer put alot of lubricant in the housing but hopefully that is the case. Hopefully when I bring it in next week the problem will be fixed. Does anyone have the same problems. Please get back to me.....
  • filodfilod Posts: 189
    mazadi,
    I check the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and here is what I found out:

PF 4X4 (just for comparison the RX 300 has the same rating)
    Frontal crash rating driver 4 stars
    Frontal crash rating passenger 5 stars
    Side crash rating driver 5 stars
    Side crash rating driver 5 stars

Roll over resistance rating has not been done for the PF 4x4 as well as the RX300. The 2X2 is rated 2 stars. The highest for most of the SUVs for the roll over is 3 stars. I think this is understandable for SUVs because of their height.

Because of the aggressive way in which the vehicle is driven and/or the age and skill of the driver, certain five-star vehicles such as sports cars, may have a higher number of rollovers per hundred registered vehicles than certain three-star vehicles, such as minivans, due to the fact that they are in more single vehicle crashes

Thank you for the query, I also learned after some research. Visit their site and you will learm more about these tests.
  • equimanequiman Posts: 12
    GM has just recalled all 2001 Envoys, Trailblazers and Bravadas. The situation is so serious that they advise you call the dealer to pick up the vehicle. Be glad you own a Nissan.
  • dave019dave019 Posts: 5
    I have seen alot of discussion on the in cabin filters, and was wonderiing if my 97 SE had one. I bought it used, so I dont know if there is one or not, and I dont want to start tearing apart the glovebox if I dont have to ! Does anyone know if there is one in my beast ?
    Thanks in advance
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,016
    Edmunds doesn't list it as either standard equipment or available an option.1997 Nissan Pathfinder 4 Dr SE 4WD Wagon. I think it probably showed up in 1999 (that's when the Quest got them, iirc).

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• terrahawkterrahawk Posts: 10
    I bought a '96 Pathfinder a couple months ago ($13.5k). I assume you know that there was a major redesign in '96. I would be suspicious about the mileage (run carfax or something similar) although mine only has 56k as well. Consumer Reports likes used Pathfinders. My choice was the Pathfinder or 4Runner.

I saw someone mention the factory warranty and just wanted to note that it comes with the vehicle/is transferrable although I realize it would have expired on a '95. Mine has 6 months left on the powertrain (till 5 years).

Sorry, I can't tell you about the clutch but with the low mileage I hope it would be fine. I would recommend the Nissan 25 point inspection (it was only $25-30) before you commit to buy though, this can tell you a lot.
    Peter
  • selight2selight2 Posts: 9
    Does anyone know if Pathfinder 3.9% financing is still in effect? Edmunds doesn't list any information regarding special financing for Pathfinders. Carsdirect.com says that Pathfinders have special pricing but doesn't explain what that means (i.e. $500 rebate?). Is the 3.9% financing over with? Any comments?
  • zeenzeen Posts: 391
    Just saw an ad for a 2001 Infiniti QX4 with about $2750 down plus security deposit and first month's payment for $399/mo before taxes. Anyone have a guess how much less the loaded LE would be?
  • lrichardslrichards Posts: 18
    I am looking to lease an SE automatic with sunroof. I recieved an offer today from a dealer who has one in stock with the roof. However, for some strange reason, they put the entertainment system in this one. I really don't need the TV/VCR in my vehicle, it's just me and the dog. I think they are having a hard time moving this vehicle. Here's the deal: $409 per month/39 months/36,000 miles. $909 total due at signing. Here are the questions: If I really don't need the entertainment system should I lease this vehicle just because of the deal? Is this a good deal? Will I do better on an SE with just the roof, no TV? What are you thoughts on the entertainment system? My current lease runs out in June so I have some time to look, but I would just as soon get this done as soon as the best deal comes along. I would appreciate any thoughts. Thanks.
  • bob_pathbob_path Posts: 14
    After reading concerns about tire pressure, I would recommend that owners of newly purchased pathfinders check their tire pressure. I picked up my 2001 LE two weeks ago and checked the tire pressure on the (cold)tires today after being idle 4 hours. The PSI was 40. I immediately lowered to 28( 2 above recommended)
    Has anyone else received their pathfinder from the dealer with a tire pressure reading of 40?.
  • After taking delivery on my new 01 PF SE AWD last week with 2.8% financing, I just saw a newspaper ad announcing a 1.8% finance rate >>> OUCHHHHH.

I suppose with declining demands due in part to the great NASDAQ/DOW stock market fall, this drop was predictable. Who knows...maybe 0.8% financing will happen at the end of the 01 model year!!!
  • lcoronadlcoronad Posts: 2
    From what I have read about the entertainment center in the new pathfinders is that they are pre wired(can someone confirm this) so that you can purchase an aftermarket system and put one in yourself. I would not base my decision on the Entertainment Center Alone. I mean I was given an offer on a 2001 SE 4WD 5M w/ moonroof and floormats for $27450, granted that is a purchase price and not a lease price also on a manual and not an auto.. I'm sure you can negotiate a good Capitalitized Cost for your lease. Now whether to base your decision on the Ent. Center is your decision. Just some food for thought.
  • path01path01 Posts: 14
    The tire pressure on my new Pathfinder LE was at 35 psi. I lowered it to 28 (cold). I always have run tire pressures a few pounds above what the factory suggests.

BTW, what are you folks getting for mileage on your new Pathfinders?