Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• When I push in the clutch to change gears there is a 'rrrrrrrrr' crunching sound. And when I put the car in neutral and take my foot off of the clutch, the sounds goes away. Any comments or suggestions? I've burned through a clutch once, and I know that it isn't it. Also, when it makes that noise I notice that it's harder for me to go from 1st to 2nd gear. The stick does not 'smoothly' go from gear to gear. Could it be that the plates are mislined?
  • I just took off my factory rack as you advised, and replaced it with my Yakima. I had a little trouble getting the front clips off, so I just slid everything off the back. Thanks again, the factory rack's now in the closet until the end of the lease...
  • wcrolandwcroland Posts: 26
    From what I have read from Mequiars and talked to the dealer, you can polish and wax your new vehicle right away. This is because the paint is cured at a very high temperature because all of the plastic and all the other stuff is not attached to the vehicle. Now if you got a custom paint job or repainted, it can't cure as high of a temperature and you need to let it cure for 60-90 days.

I have polished and waxed my 2001 Pathfinder as well as my last two new cars two weeks after I have bought them and never had a problem. I use Meguiars Gold Class products, but sure the Zaino are the same type.
  • nismofreaknismofreak Posts: 120
    Does the sound go away when you just sink the clutch (without attempting to shift gears)? I will bet it is the throwout bearing. If you can adjust the clutch at all, then it may need adjusting to disengage the clutch better (I don't know what the clutch system on the Pathy is like so this adjustment may not be possible).

Hope this helps.
    $0.02
  • pathstarpathstar Posts: 201
    I'm pretty sure the silver is clearcoated. In fact, all "metallic" or "mica" paints are clearcoated. If you're ever unsure, take some "ordinary" car polish and, in an unconspicuous place, rub vigorously with the polish using a white cloth. If any colour comes off, it's not clearcoated there (guess you'll have to use a black cloth on a white car ;-). Be aware that some cars are not clearcoated everywhere, though this "location specific" clearcoating is rare (due to the extra cost of masking).
  • smokey75smokey75 Posts: 434
    I know, I know... not again. Well, I hate to beat a dead horse but I just had some comments. I've seen some say that Nissan's recommendation of 26 psi is too low, especially since the tire says 44psi. One problem... that is not the tire manufacturer's recommendation. If you read closely on the tire (I have Bridgestone Dueler H/T) it states MAXIMUM PRESSURE 44 PSI for MAXIMUM LOAD 2094 LBS. This would be the pressure if the PF met this max load. However, the PF most definitely is not max load. On the tire it goes on to say, "Safety Warning - Serious injury may result from: tire failure due to underinflation/overloading - follow owner's manual or tire placard in vehicle..." The recommendation of 26 psi from Nissan is designed to give this vehicle the best handling characteristics it could possibly have. Most SUVs have a lower pressure than cars because this makes them more stable & less likely to roll over (lower pressure - wider footprint). The controversey with Ford/Firestone was because Ford says their recommended pressure was within the approved range of Firestone... Firestone says it was not. Just my two cents. Be safe...
  • jmtreetopjmtreetop Posts: 130
    The pfinder doesnt exactly have a B pipe which are typically found on Hondas but I did replace the equivilant and it was 1.75 inch. I replaced everything from the cats back with 2.25 inch and it was a custom job. It's a lot cleaner now too with less bends in the piping. On the highway, I havent noticed much droning, mostly because the pfinder only does around 2500 rpms at 70mph so its still very quiet. You do hear a little tone from the exhaust though, but it sounds really good (its a clean, quiet, deep tone). The manufacturer states that it is typical to receive a 2-3 mpg increase with their muffler and exhaust. I am going on a 2300 mile trip next week over Easter so i will have to let you know if i see any mileage improvements. Total cost was $278 including stainless steel 4" diameter tip and labor. Definitely do not regret getting rid of the silencer, especially at that weight and reduction of performance.
  • arisaris Posts: 15
    4. The wheels appear to be aligned but the steering wheel is off-center...when truck is going straight, steering wheel is off to right approx 5 to 10 degrees!

I just test drove a new PF and it seemed as though the steering wheel was off-center... It tends to steer to the right when driving straight.... Anyone know if this is normal? i own a 95 Maxima and do not have the steering problem.

Thank you in advance,
    Aris
  • smithmdsmithmd Posts: 167
    On a windless day, on a level road (not crowned), my '99.5 will drive straight down the road for about 10 seconds or so, maybe longer. I haven't been able to find a road that is good enough for long enough to test it any farther.
  • After closing my deal on a 01 PF SE AWD at 2.8% financing, Nissan Canada's rate DROPPED TO 1.8% within 2 days!!!

We called Nissan to cry BUT they couldn't care less. I guess I can agree with them BUT I only took delivery 2 days ago! I guess it's all a gamble and I wouldn't be complaining if their rate increased from the 2.8%. Oh well...on the positive side, the 01 PF is just an awesome truck with a terrific engine.

BTW...while crying to Nissan, I found out the new 02 Maxima will be equipped with this PF engine but it will be tuned to 268 HP !!! WOW...just awesome stuff...I need to get a Max as a 2nd car!

I'm gonna get a K&N filter and S.S. exhaust tip for my PF...any thoughts?

TIA
  • phil47phil47 Posts: 394
    If the truck is not pulling, it's simply a matter of getting the dealer to straighten the steering wheel. With the tires pointed straight ahead, they remove the wheel and reinstall it straight (rotate it a few splines). It was likely just installed off-center at the plant. This was the case with my 99.5 PF LE.
  • danogdanog Posts: 318
    I have tried several times Friday and today to get a quote both by email and phone with no success. I see the price for the rear air delfector but I would like to know what shipping costs will be!
    Where else can the deflector be had for around $65?

Thanks,
    Dano
  • bimmer4mebimmer4me Posts: 266
    Thanks for your point re: tire pressure. It was worth reading, I agree with what you said. I have mine at 28 psi ( 2 more pounds than what Nissan recommends) down from 39 psi and notice a slight difference in ride...not as jittery over expansion joints on the freeway; a little smoother over bumps in the road. Until all this tire pressure issue came about, I'd thought I would check my tire pressure on my 7 week old PF and was surprised it was at 39 psi.
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Posts: 621
    Here's an interesting article that kind-of explains how much air your tires should have in them, under various conditions. I don't know for sure how accurate it is, but it's probably a good starting point.

There are a couple of good paragraphs that discuss street-tire pressure, near in the middle of the article.

http://4x4now.com/sfjun96.htm/sfjun96.htm

It appears that the proper air pressure in tires depends in part on the weight of the vehicle and the tire manufacturer's specifications for the tire

Nissan has "recommended pressures" because they know the vehicle weight and which tire brands they put on the trucks at the factory.

If you ever install a different brand or size of tire, you might need to change the pressure accordingly.

• pyrenuspyrenus Posts: 19
    I'm not new to car modifications, since having my 94 300ZX for several years has allowed me some customization. One of the first things I did to my Z when I got it was to take out the whole exhaust (including presilencers, or pre-mufflers) and install a free flowing exhause. I'm not sure if I would want to do the same on a new pathfinder. I would really like to hear one before I did it. My concern would be that it would become too loud for my liking. I wonder if you could get performance headers for the new pathy. I guess I'll keep my eyes open.

PYRENUS
    I was skeptical myself when opening up the exhaust but it isn't as loud as I thought it would be. I suppose part of it depends on the actual muffler that you use. It almost sounds like a Chevy truck with exhaust but quieter. I have only had it about a week and have received many compliments on how great the tone sounds. On the other hand, my mother or grandmother would probably not appreciate the exhaust as much as I do. I still think it is worth it just from a performance point of view, the shop that I went to offered to put on a resonator that would reduce the noise if i thought it was too loud, but it wasnt at all. I doubt you would even hear me coming down the street or at idle in your driveway. I was thinking about headers too but decided to pass since it really only helps at high rpms (since I'm not racing my pfinder) and it also reduces gas mileage slightly.
    Has anyone installed a cold air intake? The current box seems so restricting. If so, where did you get it from?
  • nanuqnanuq Posts: 765
    It sounds like your throwout bearing is bad. Apparently it's bad enough to not disengage the clutch completely and that lets it drag between gears.

One shot in the dark: look beneath the dash at the clutch linkage. There should be a pivot, and that pivot may be binding or dry. Give it a shot of penetrating lube and work the pedal. Maybe it's binding enough to absorb your foot effort and not actually throw the linkage? Doubtful but maybe. Or if there's a cable maybe it has a lube port?

These are where I'd look first. Regards, -Bob
  • joef4570joef4570 Posts: 29
    My buddy owns 2 auto repair shops & has made many friends in the business over the years. When I mentioned the discussions on this board about the subject he said "of course, new car dealers always under-inflate cause it makes for a better ride", "they don't care about the increased tire wear as a result". He said that on a 44 psi manufacture recommended full load pressure tire, he inflates to 38 psi...... Just another point of view.