Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• smithmdsmithmd Posts: 167
    I've got the shimmy Serivce Bulletin in a PDF file. I'd be happy to send it to you. E-mail me at smithmdsmith@yahoo.com. Anyone else that's interested is welcome to e-mail me, as well.
    I've heard elsewhere that Pirelli tires tend to flat spot easily when parked for even a few hours. Like Captain Ron said, I also heard that they work that out after a few minutes of driving.
  • Hi.

The Bug Deflector was 80$ CDN and the part# is 99998-00100

Not expensive at all for a Genuine Nissan and very well made. I wasn't too sure about those 4 "bumpons" that I had to stick on the hood itself, but they (bumpons) don't show at all and they're are made by 3M (well known company).

Steve.
  • Thanks for the information Thewilman.

But the Bumpons that came with your B/D are to protect the body finish paint of the hooded area of your Pathfinder . If you do not stick them to the SPECIFIED AREAS, at high speed, the deflector will flap those areas and the paint will come off.

After installing the B/D, walk around it and press the B/D to the body. Where it touches is where to place the BUMPONS. The most common locations are both ends of the Head Lights and the Middle of the hood.

I have already bought an after market one from MacNeil at htt:// www.macneilauto.com (1-800-441-6287). About the same price as yours in USD. But if there is a big defference in them, i'll get the Nissan B/D.
    full5.
  • apollo8apollo8 Posts: 9
    I am looking to purchase a Pathfinder for my sister, I live in Toronto Canada. Can all those that have bought in Canada please provide me with pricing and options, excluding provincial and federal sales tax. I understand they are dealing pretty aggresively for the remaining 01's..Thanks all in advance. email is apolloofolympus@hotmail.com
  • Just got home from family vacation to Florida from NC, pathfinder ran like a champ...19 MPG on hwy with Sears car top carrier and AC running. Wind noise was noticable but not to bad. Now for the HELP part,while washing the pathy in Florida I found a major rock chip(even after I bought a bug deflector for the trip)on top of hood about the size of 2 or 3 pin heads. THEN as I was emptying the car top carrier and one of my suit cases hit the top of the door and you guessed it another deep scratch about 1/2 inch long,boy was I mad at myself for that one. Does anyone know the best way to fix these without taking it to the dealer, I do not want the whole hood repainted. I told my wife I was so mad about the Pathfinder and she said at least we made it there and back safely...how true, but I want this awsome vehicle to look it's best for a long time. PLEASE someone help with some touch-up advice. Todd
  • longdaylongday Posts: 8
    Hello,
    Tomorrow AM I will be picking up my new "Bronzed Gray" 2001 4WD LE with Leather/Nav/Ent/Limited Slip. I am proud to be joining all you owners, I have already been given help by Captain Ron and Adam and look forward to driving this great vehicle. If anyone can, I would appreciate help with these two questions that I have not seen answers to:
    First- The large gap behind the rear seats and before the security cover is nuts. Anyone can peer in and see the things I am trying to hide from prying eyes. A quick fix that comes to mind is using a similar color carpet remnant "flap" and duct taping it (underneath so as not to show) to the backs of the rear seats. Someone, somewhere must have found a better way to close the gap. (I can't recline the seats due to child seats in the rear)
    Lastly- I ordered the rear cargo organizer and since my VCP (for the ent) sits on the rear floor I am faced with two options. One is cutting out an opening for the VCP with a razor, (which is crazy) the other is detaching the VCP and have it bounce around the back on top of the organizer (more crazy).
    Thanks for all your great advice, I look forward to your advice on this.
    -Steve
  • Just got back from Vancouver B.C. with my new Bronzed Grey LE 4x4, and I love it. I'd like everyone to know how right Jon Lofquist is. It is very easy, and the money saved is worth it. All I did was call up Richmond Nissan ask for Bob Fielkowich, tell him the Jon referred me to him. Bob gave me price over the phone I aceppted. No haggle very relaxed, and man what great service. I paid 26,295 plus a 2.5% tax at US customs and 100.00 air conditioning fee. My pathfinder had 8.6 kilo. at pickup. Plus I love the power anntenna, especally since I listen more to CD's than the radio (The antenna stays down). Maybe its the canadian model, but I'm already averaging 20.5 mpg, on 4 fill ups. Does anybody have a good web site for car covers. This is a great site
    Quiet Man
  • pf01pf01 Posts: 35
    hi, I am a long time reader but a first time poster. I have a 2001 LE with part time 4X4. I had 2,3000 problem-free miles, but after the 3rd routine tire rotation I started to have steering wheel shimmy at around 65 mph. According to the nissan service bulletin that the service manager gave to me, it is basically a 3 step process to correct the problem. So far, the first two steps have been taken. 1. simple balance of the wheels. 2. increasing steering wheel sliding force. But the problem still persists. According to the Nissan Service Bulletin, the last step is to use the hunter GSP9700 balancing machine to do 2-plan balancing and replace any defective tire if necessary. Smithmd, was step 3 the one that solved your problem? any one interested can take a look at www.hunter.com
  • After reviewing the URL you have posted above, it seems that the 2 are quite similar in the way they install, using 3M adhesive and clips that use the holes that usually hold the weather seal rubber under the hood. Can't say much about the form (design) itself or the material (plastic) used as it is not shown ot the website

As for the bumpons, I did install them as shown on the inst. guide (2 on each side - 1 at the far end edge of the hood, the other at the limit of the point where the hood step higher) as for the middle, the B/D comes quite close to the hood (if pressure is applied) without touching it.

Steve
  • Is there a way to verify that my LE Auto4WD has the LSD and not the OpenDiff at the rear. I saw a post saying the if it is a LSD it should have a sticking mentionning it (for oil type purpose). Mine doesn't have that sticker (it is true that I didn't crawl all the way under the truck but ...)

I do not trust the sales resp at the dealer because they don't seem to know much about the Path. ie. They told me that the Path had metal sheet underneath for off-roading.. well we all know that ain't true... See what I mean...

I'm curious cause last winter I got stuck in snow and notice that the rear wheels weren't turning at the sametime, or is it just the LSD having some limitation???

Steve
  • My 2001 PF LE 4x4 also had a slight shimmy problem at 60 to 65 mph. I took it to the local tire shop and they found both front tires out of balance a half ounce. The rear tires were perfectly balanced. They do have the Hunter GSP machine everyone has mentioned. The shimmy is not noticeable now.
  • couimetcouimet Posts: 130
    If you look at Nissan's Canadian web site and the Nissan Canada Pathfinder brochure, you will find that LSD is standard on all Canadian PF's ...
  • jhpw517jhpw517 Posts: 1
    I am considering buying a PF. The brochure of PF I got from the dealer says that it is manual to switch between 2wd(rear wheel drive) to 4wd and must be done below 50 mph. Does anyone know if the 4wd can be engaged at all time? Or, if PF has an option of an all-time 4wd like the Toyota Highlander or Mazda Tribute? Thanks.
  • POTENTIAL SUV OWNER TRYING TO DECIDE BETWEEN THE PF & 4RUNNER. LEANING TOWARD THE PF MAINLY DUE TO THE CANADIAN CONNECTION. DOES ANYONE KNOW IF TOYOTA OR ANY OTHER SUVS ARE AVAILABLE IN CANADA FOR US CITIZENS?
  • Thewildman:
    My B/D also came with two small screws to be install under neath the hood. The 3M adhesive that came with it did not hold well, so I had to use them. There should also be at least(1.3cm) room between the hood and the B/D for periodic cleaning.
    Full5.
  • meca2meca2 Posts: 284
    Their should be a red sticker on the rear of the differential housing "LSD" about 1 inch in diameter. The other way is lifting up the rear end of the vehicle and rotate the rear wheels ie:rotate the right wheel CW the other should turn the same direction and very hard to turn. If the other wheel turns the opposite (CCW) your PF does not
    have a LSD.

AWD: The AWD (with a knob and not shift lever) can be turned on at any speed. With AWD you are turning on a pump in the transfer case and the only time the front axle drives is when the rear speed sensors detects wheel slipage---On ice,snow,ect.
  • yoeddyyoeddy Posts: 46
    Hi All,

I don't have schematics or diagrams but it's really easy to do. Also, other's have made comments on how to better tap the power cord into the fuse box. They're probably easier and better ways to do it but until it fails, I'm going to leave things as is. Okay, here is what I did:

1. Cut-off lighter adapter from power cord (my radar detector had a coiled and straight one, I cut the straight one)
    2. Strip 1 inch of the cord covering to expose wires
    3. Remove cover to the compartment box to the left of the steering wheel. Behind it is the fuse box.
    4. Pull fuse #15 (Lighter, that's the one I used)
    5. Wrapped exposed wire of powercord around prongs of fuse
    6. Push fuse back into place
    7. Run powercord down and out from the bottom of the fuse box (not throw the compartment door)
    8. Run powercord up and around the side plastic moulding to the left of the fuse box
    9. Slide powercord behind the black gasket that runs all the way to the roof (pull open with fingers and push powercord behind
    10. From the roof, run powercord through visor clips to the other side of visor
    11. Connect to radar detector
    12. Hide any extra powercord behind plastic moulding next to fusebox

Any questions, let me know.
    Tony
  • lofquistlofquist Posts: 281
    Greg,
    Good to hear from you again. Glad the Canadian purchase went well for you. It's hard to pass up a few thousand dollars of savings. I think you are about number 50 that I've heard back from on going to Canada. I'm happy I could help out.
    -Jon
    Nissan is about the only manufacturer left that allows their Canadian dealers to sell to the US. I know for certain that Toyota will not, and no one I know has been successful getting a 4Runner. If you decide to go for the Canadian trip to get a Path, drop me a line - I still have lots of info that will help.
    -Jon
  • I am currently in the market for a new SUV ... trying to decide between 2001 Pathfinder LE and 2002 Eddie Bauer Explorer. Have any readers been faced with a similar decision? The purchase prices will be close to equal...but I don't know what to expect with regards to maintenance on the Pathfinder, fun extras, etc. Any thoughts are appreciated.
  • sanandtonsanandton Posts: 342
    DON'T get the EXPLORER. I have owned 3: 1996, 1997, 1998. They were all crap. Poor quality, cheap interior parts and MAJOR mechanical problems. We kept going back hoping to do our duty as Americans, but were screwed each time. Finally got the 01 PF in april of 2000 and have had 16k blissful miles. What a specimen of quality, tight build & value for the dollar. You will get features on the PF the EB explorer doesn't have (unless they were added) ie: auto up and down windows driver and passenger, auto open and close sunroof etc. this really is a great feature. So while I can't say that ford hasn't cleaned up their act with the 02 Explorers my history with them suggest it is not likely.
    Yes, it was the Hunter machine that fixed my problem.
  • kzc2kzc2 Posts: 14
    Thanks for the information everyone. I took it back to the place where I bought tires, and ask them to do roadforce balancing (HUNTER 9700). The result is great; it took out the most vibration problem. Still there is slight vibration at first drive but I'm very happy with what I have now.

Captainron, you are right with flat spot. Driving for few miles will solve that problem. I purchased 255/70R/16 same size as you have.

Smithmd, thanks for the e-mail offer, I will e-mail you soon.

-jc
  • yrideyride Posts: 21
    Just received surprise notice from the Dept of Motor Vehicles, that a CA Highway Patrol inspection of all 1996 or newer vehicles which were last registered outside the US is required for my newly purchased '01 Pathfinder. The letter sez they can't process my registration until they have this. Anyone have experience with this one?
  • erhein2erhein2 Posts: 11
    Can anyone tell me how to program, or where to find out how to program additional keyless entry remotes for my 2001 PF? I know the dealer can do this for a fee, but if it's not too complicated, I'd just as soon do it myself. Thanks.
  • erhein2erhein2 Posts: 11
    pondfull5: I also installed the Macneil B/D using the screws which came with it. I haven't used any of the rubber bump-ons. Can you describe, again, where you placed them? Thanks.
  • lspanglerlspangler Posts: 102
    Did you attach one of the wires from the cord to a ground somewhere? Your post states that you wrapped the wire around the fuse blade, but if you wrapped 1 wire around each blade you wouldn't have a complete ciruit.
    Here's how to program additional remotes. Very easy. But only the dealer can program new keys I understand.

1) Get in car and close all doors.
    2) Insert and remove key from ignition more than 6 times within 10 seconds (hazard lights will flash twice).
    3) Insert key again and turn to ACC position.
    4) Push any button on new remote once (hazard lights will flash twice). At this time the oldest code is erased and the new code is entered.
    5) To program additional remotes (maximum of four), lock the driver's side door (unlock first if it's locked) with the LH door switch, and then go to step 4.,
    6) Open driver's side door.

-Jon
  • tivmiketivmike Posts: 7
    yride -
    we have the same thing down here in Texas. I bought my Pathy in Canada 3 weeks ago and drove it down to Texas (I'll post a longer bit about that when I get a chance).. but I went to the tax assessor's office to pay TX slaes tax on it and get it registered and they said I needed to have it inspected by a law enforcement agency. This was VERY simple. It consisted of going to the downtown police department, asking to speak to someone in the auto theft division. They came out, checked the VIN on the vehicle and compared it to my export form that I got stamped at customs. They filled out a form, gave me that and I went back to the tax assessor's and everything was done. It took maybe 5 minutes.

-Mike-