Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• mamaemamae Posts: 7
    I have a 2001 Infiniti QX4 and installed the Draw-Tite tubular tow hitch. I don't have any rattling and it looks great.

My one complaint is the brakes. The brakes on this car are awful with or without a boat on the back. Nissan really needs to stop their cost cutting measures and put disc brakes in the rear.

By the way, I tow a 2000-2200 lb. boat, nothing real heavy and certainly not close to the 5000lb rating.
  • trucker11trucker11 Posts: 1
    Sorry to hear about the vibrations. I have owned a 88, now own a 98 and 2001 PF and none of them have ever remotely vibrated. Just thought I would answer your request to hear from other owners.
  • phil47phil47 Posts: 394
    Really pretty straight forward. Should take you around 1 hour to do them all. The big keys are:

1. Clean the surface of the truck where the mouldings go very well (no wax, oil, grease, etc.) using denatured alcohol or the like.

2. Use masking tape to give you a straight guideline below which to apply the mouldings (you can adjust the tape to make it straight, not the moulding once it is stuck).

3. Make sure you leave the small gap (1/4 inch or so) in front of each moulding to allow clearances when opening the doors (they mention this...don't forget it).

4. Apply them to a room temp (not hot or cold) surface and roll them evenly to get complete adhesion.

Hope this helps.
  • meca2meca2 Posts: 284
    joe233: The load compensator is on the 4wd only. It adds secondary pressure
    to the rear brakes. It is connected from the rear axle to the body next to the diff.
    has a spring on it. More the body sags the more brake pressure?? I pulled a 4x8
    trailer with about 1/2 yard of dirt last week end and I was not impressed. The engine has
    HP but no torque at low to middle rpm. The rated hp is 6500 rpm not much hp at
    2000 to 2500 rpm. And the brakes........with 3500lbs you might have to used both
    feet. I just about ordered a GMC Yukon when I purchaces the PF. Now I wish I did.
    Steve
  • li_sailorli_sailor Posts: 1,081
    Well. I've mentioned this before but I'll put in my 2 cents again here. My boat and trailer together are about 4000 lbs and I have no difficulty pulling it or braking. I do have surge brakes on the trailer to assist ( I believe this is 'required/recommended' if you tow over 3000 lbs). I've even had no trouble pulling the boat out of the water up the ramp (much harder than pulling on the level). I use 4WD LO to help with traction and to increase the torque (only coming up the ramp)...it makes a big difference. The PF has 265 ft-lbs of torque...that's a pretty good number. The Expedition has 291, Tahoe 290, Suburban 325...these are V8s.

I'm sure that pulling with a Suburban or Excursion would be even easier but my experience has been fine.

BTW...there's a new topic under SUVs for boat towing (only 4 posts so far) but there's mention of a good web site: www.trailerboats.com

Tom
  • sanandtonsanandton Posts: 342
    For those of you who haven't already seen the New line of Nissans coming soon. Check out this link: http://www.nissandriven.com/menu_nf.html

click on the "new thinking ahead" link to see videos/photos of upcoming lauches. I think Nissan will have a hit with the new Altima, especially since it will have the same 240 hp engine as our PF.
  • poswaldposwald Posts: 38
    Has anyone else noticed that their instrument panel lens (the plastic cover over the speedo and tach) is all scratched to hell. Today when I was looking at it on my 01 LE, the light caught it just the right way and it looked like someone took 20 G sandpaper to it. The funny thing is that I have only cleaned this once maybe twice since I own the truck. I used a moist towelette that we use to clean the lens on our million dollar microscopes at work. I only wiped lightly to remove the dust that accumulated. I can definitely see down the road that I will have to replace this. It really looks like hell. I assume that it would be an easy replacement. A couple of screws here or there. Can anyone with a shop manual enlighten me?
  • climber3climber3 Posts: 13
    Hidden hitch also makes a hitch for the Pathfinder (www.hiddenhitch.com). I do not know if it is shaped like the DrawTite. I did not have time to investigate this as I had to have a hitch on by a certain date and my only option was a factory Nissan hitch, which I can attest was more difficult to install than the DrawTite.
  • woodyr1woodyr1 Posts: 142
    I installed a Hidden Hitch on my 2001 Pathfinder. It has round tubes, and does not rub on any parts of the muffler system. The only complaint is that the 2" receiver results in a rattle of the draw bar, something not noticable with my Hidden Hitch on my 95 Pathfinder. I have tried my draw bar in other hitches and they all seem to have some sloppiness. I was advised by a Nissan dealer that the Nissan hitch is manufactured by Hidden Hitch.
  • nismofreaknismofreak Posts: 120
    I am curious how my fellow Pathy owners are doing with the current gas prices. The last time I bought gas here in Jersey, it was $1.639 for premium. And that was back on 4/21. Are people bothering with mixing 92/93 and 89? Is anyone really worried about the higher prices?

just wonderin'...
    -nismo
  • austnpwr88austnpwr88 Posts: 3
    On the 2001 SE 4WD Automatic, what does the microfilter do/look like/where is it, what does the body color side molding look like/where is it, and lastly, what does the pattern exactly look like of the charcoal cloth? Thanx.
  • jci109jci109 Posts: 9
    Oh, don't get me started about gas prices. I live in N.CA and it is $2.15 for premium (I don't think that you can even buy propane for as little money as you are paying for premium gas in Jersey). We have not mixed gas octane only because we knew going into buying this $34,000 car we shouldn't skimp on the little things. We do not want to risk the potential knocking or pinging that might occur if we use the lower octane's. We have already had that experience after owning an Explorer that used Regular unleaded, but one day starting the noises and we had to switch to the higher Octane (never to hear the noises again). I think that I am willing to pay .20 more a gallon to avoid any problems.
  • crikeycrikey Posts: 1,038
    jci109, sorry that you're paying too much on gas. In Orlando, I filled up my tank yesterday at Costco for $1.699/gallon. However, I am still ticked off that the PF only requires premium. Oh well, I knew this going into the purchase of the PF. We don't use the PF very much, it's supposed to be the mommymobile. I bought my PF last July and I only have 8,000 miles on it. Sometimes, I wish I had bought a stationwagon or something similar. However, as soon as I get into that PF and let that engine go, I forget all these things. I truly enjoy the PF!
  • joe233joe233 Posts: 43
    I'm runnig mid-grade in my ' 01 LE, and haven't noticed any problems. Paying about 1.83/gal for mid-grade in Rochester, NY. I know the gas prices are about a nickle cheaper in Buffalo tho.
    I've got ~2200miles so far, and milage has consistantly been in the high 15's for city driving.
    Last year, one of the local news stations had a Lowest Gas Price board on their web site, but I haven't seen it start up again yet.
    Every now and then I'll run a tank of the Sunoco-Ultra, very peppy!
  • bimmer4mebimmer4me Posts: 266
    Well I knew sooner or later I would get my first ding in a parking lot, but I didn't count on it happening so early into my ownership. The slime ball driver clipped my right side rear bumper and part of the fender flare, and then drove away. A witness told me she saw the whole thing but didn't have her glasses on to read the licsense plate. I now only approach my PF from the left so that I don't have to look at the damage on the right side until I get it repaired.
  • menswearmenswear Posts: 11
    Has anyone installed aftermarket wood trim kits for 01 PF? How did it come out? Which company did you get the woodkit from? What type wood did you use?
  • tivmiketivmike Posts: 7
    I have a questions about the Rear LSD option for the LE. I assume this is the same for Infiniti's so feel free to give your input if you're a QX4er.
    I am working with a dealer to get a LE 4x4 with rear LSD. He said that he cannot find this in Texas. He is telling me that the All-Mode LE's, when put into 4x4-Lo lock all diffs. Is it true that this locks both the center AND rear diff? Or does it just lock the center diff?
    I do plan on doing occasional (but sometimes fairly trying) 4x4 in this vehicle and LSD seems like an option I should NOT compromise on. If the diffs do indeed lock in 4x4-Lo, I will consider it, if they do not. I think I will hold out.
    What are your opinions on this? Is the dealer lying to me (*gasp* heaven forbid) about the locking diffs? He is trying to pressure me into this vehicle saying it is the only one in Texas with the rest of the features and the color that I want. LE - Sierra Silver - 4x4 - Rear LSD - Sunroof Deflector - Leather - Tow Hitch. We have also looked at ones w/o Tow Hitch w/ consideration he may install one after-market. Still no dice. I called another dealer and they confirmed that this model is indeed hard to come by in the entire state of Texas.
    I do not need the vehicle NOW. I can wait a month or even two. I just want to make sure that what I get is what I want.
    Any opinions? Thanks - Mike-
  • li_sailorli_sailor Posts: 1,081
    Well, here in NY (Long Island) I've gone from 1.65 a month ago to $2.00 last nite. As far as worrying...I don't worry but who would be happy paying $6 more for a fill-up? Not a killer but it stinks. Article in the NY Times today blames it under-capacity of refiners and increased demand (mostly from SUVs...haha).

jc109: nismofreak was referring to mixing 89 & 93 (there was a thread on this a while back that I was in)...if you mix 89 & 93 octane (in equal amounts, of course) you get 91 octane...which is what the PF requires (minimum)unless you're at higher elevations. Where I buy gas, it's only a 5 cent diff between 89 and 93 so I would only save 90 cents on a fill-up...not worth the bother IMO.

Tom
  • smithmdsmithmd Posts: 167
    Your dealer doesn't know what he's talking about. Surprised?

Where are you located (Dallas? Houston?)? I've had good luck at Courtesy Nissan in Dallas on Hwy 75, I think, (service only) and Robbins Nissan/Chevy/Olds in Humble (NE of Houston on 59). If you go to Robbins, ask for Dewey (I can't remember his last name...he's a small, older gentleman). Tell Dewey that Jamey's son, Matt, sent you because you were looking for a straight shooter. We've purchased 3 Nissans from him (2 Altimas and a Maxima in '94 and '95). I talked to him there in '99, so I'm pretty sure he's still there. I would have purchased my Pathy from him, but it was on the move to Wisconsin that the JGC it replaced crapped out.

Anyway, putting the transfer case in 4Lo only locks the center diff (as does putting the 'case in 4Hi). The Pathfinder doesn't offer a locking rear diff. I'd definitely hold out to get LSD. I didn't hold out and now I'm looking for a way to get it.

Good luck!
  • austnpwr88austnpwr88 Posts: 3
    What exactly does this do, where is it located, is it visible and if so, what does it look like. Thanx...