Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• The problem is related to the thick labels on CDR's and/or people who shove the cd in before the light turns green. I had a problem with the labels being too thick. Nissan replaced my CD player under warranty and without any problem. Since then, I do not put CDR's with labels in my player. Haven't had a problem since.. I have a 2001 LE too, if it matters.
  • My temp gauge read about 5 degrees warmer. I gently popped the sensor out with a couple of screwdrivers. I repositioned it all the way forward but just behind the Nissan emblem in the grill. I temporarily attached it with a nylon strap.

The gauge now reads right on or 1 degree off. Now that I know that its accurate, I'm going to get a bracket from the hardware store and permanently affix the sensor behind the emblem.
  • skips2skips2 Posts: 52
    Thanks for the tip. My dealer offered to reposition it. I'll take him up on his offer.
  • Anyone had problems with the seat belt not retracting? When I unbuckle the seat belt, the buckle just seems to hang and not retract. As I slammed the door, the buckle crushes the door switch for the interior dome light.
  • isguyisguy Posts: 13
    My 02 LE has two compartments in the center console, each one with its own latch. When you open the lower compartment (the larger one) there is a power outlet.

Question: Why did they hide it inside the center console where the only way you can really use it is to keep the console cover open? Am I missing something here?

Thanks
  • The 01 has 3 outlets. In the dash, in the 2nd compartment of console and in the back. I use the one in the console to charge my phone. The Cell fits in there and is concealed. The other 2 outlets offer use w/o having to keep the console cover open.
  • Oregon State Police officers have started issuing citations to drivers who do not turn off their fog lights when approaching oncoming traffic. "If they're approaching traffic, they have to dim" says Sgt John Anderson of the Grant's Pass office according to the Dec 27 2001 edition of the Seattle Times.

This may present a problem if you don't realize that they are in fact, on. Do any Pathfinders have a dash indicator light that lets you know when your fog lights are on? Mine doesn't. This is compounded by an earlier observation (complaint) that the controls themselves aren't lit either, so you can't look and see, you have to feel the control stalk and twist it to tell. Of course, you would also have to have enough presence of mind to check. Automatic headlights further confuse matters.

Any thoughts or ideas?
  • skips2skips2 Posts: 52
    I had the same question or concern. It appears that the only potential use for the center console power outlet is a cell phone because it fits in the console. I have a radar detector plugged into the dash power outlet. Hence, the only other outlet available for things other than a cell phone is back in the cargo area. I think the outlet in the console is a design flaw. A better place for the console outlet would be the back of the console instead of inside of it. My 2000 Maxima GLE has it mounted on the back of the console. This location gives much more flexibility for using it. Nissan wouldn't have to look far for the idea. It already thought of it in the Maxima. This is just another example where the Pathfinder design plays second fiddle to the Maxima. I own both the GLE (top of the line Maxima) and LE (top of the line Path). I'm surprised by the additional little touches that you get with the Maxima, but not in the Path. For example: (1) Lighted ring around ignition (2)lighted seat warmer control switches (3) 200 watt Bose sound system with subwoofer vs 150 watt system without subwoofer (4)inaccurate temp gauge vs an accurate one (5)wood grain trim on door arm rests (6) chrome exterior door handles vs black plastic (7)chrome interior door handles vs plastic. (8)slow releash glove box vs dead drop (watch your knees) glove box.
  • Hi,

Been looking around for a HID conversion kit for my '01 Pathfinder. Founded one set from autolamps-online.com and also the Bellof H4 kit. Does anyone know how good does these two work? Also I read that if I switch to the HID kit, they might be way too bright and has lots of glare. Are these true? Is there a lot of modification to upgrade to HID system? Thanks in advance for all the helps.

Jeff
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Posts: 621
    skips2- If the Pathfinder had all those goodies you just described, then there would be no need for the QX4! ;)
  • Actually I believe the placement for the outlet inside the console is new (since 01), it used to be on the back of it above the rear cupholders. I know the 99-00 QX4 had it on the outside of the console, and I think the PF was the same.
  • pvrnycpvrnyc Posts: 2
    Like all those who bought a Pathfinder in Canada, my 2001 SE came standard with an engine block heater. Trouble is, I don't know when it's necessary or even advisable to use it. The nights where I live have been getting into the low teens and will certainly get into the single digits soon. How cold does it need to get before other PF owners out there feel compelled to use the heater? Does Nissan make any recommendations concerning when to use it? Is it advisable to plug the heater in immediately after shutting the engine off, or should I wait for some period of time?
  • Hi, I'm thinking about coverting my 01 Pathfinder headlight to some brighter headlight. I read somewhere there is a Catz Zeta 00 headlight upgrade system. I was just wondering how bright does it compares to the HID conversion? Also how bright does the Catz Zeta 00 compares to those HID look alike bulb? How long does the HID light bulb last? I'm afraid to converting to the HID conversion and have to replace the expensive HID light bulb a little too often. One last question, is it possible to use the QX4 HID headlight on the Pathfinder headlight housing. Thanks for the help in advance.
  • woodyr1woodyr1 Posts: 142
    I don't think there is a specific temperature in which the block heater is recommended to be plugged in. It is simply a heating element which warms the engine coolant, enabling an easier cold start and a faster warm up. By warming the coolant passages it may also warm other engine components. Living in Central Canada, I plugged in when the temperature was expected to reach about 0 Farenheit, but if it was windy, would plug in above that to allow for the windchill factor. I used a timer, so that the heater would come on 3 to 4 hours before I had to leave for work. I was told that no greater efficiencies were noted by plugging in for more than 3 to 4 hours - there is no need to leave it plugged in at all times.

Hope this helps.
  • What is the largest tire size we can fit on our pathfinders? I am looking to replace the stock duelers with something more snow worthy.
  • pathstarpathstar Posts: 201
    Woodyr1 has it right. If energy is cheap, you can use it all year long. It will lower wear and tear on the engine when starting, as the engine will already be "luke warm". It will not cause overheating, even in summer. At work I have a 97 Suburban - and it is pugged in all winter.

Use a short extension cord and tie it off on the vehicle. That way, -when- you forget to unplug it, you will usually just pull the cord out of the duplex, and if you break the cord, it's only a few dollars, insead of the fortune usually charged for block heater cords.

I wrap the cord on the "cold front" (a tarp like device to limit air flow into the front of the vehicle in the winter - they have flaps you can open for limited air flow). These usually come with a summer bug screen as well. Both of these can scuff the paint (just like "bras") so be forewarned. I have one on the company truck, but I wouldn't put one on the Pathfinder (which I never plug in as it's kept in a garage).

The joys of living in a nice cold climate (Great White North).
  • bgritzbgritz Posts: 139
    Mesh-the_gladiator:

If it's not to much of a hassle, I'd love to see pics of the mesh to protect the radiator.

Console Outlet-isguy:

Nissan actually built in enough of a gap in the latch-release area to allow a fairly large gauge cord to fit out of the lower console box. I use the console outlet for my GPS and the space allowed works extremely well, no pinching at all.

tires-lspangler1

We have 265/70R16's on our '01 SE. I tried to fit 265/75R16's in, but if you ever take it off-road-even mild stuff, they would rub CONSIDERABLY. As it is the 265/70R16's rub a bit when in reverse @ full lock of the steering wheel. When with one side of the rear is hung off the ground-there is still .25 inches of tire clearance in the opposing wheelwell. I did see a '00 SE w/265/75R16's, but there was less than 1.25 inches of clearance in rear wheel well standing still. Tire pics can be seen here: http://photos.yahoo.com/bgritz
    note: the tires are from Discount Tire/tires.com and are 1000% better than the stock Bridgestones in all aspects-especially in snow

• isguyisguy Posts: 13
    Thanks for the tip...I didn't realize the gap was that wide.
  • kbehnkekbehnke Posts: 60
    I was wondering if anyone has ordered Nissan accessories online lately(e.g. nissan-accessories.com or nissanparts.com)? They seem to be cheaper than the dealerships, so I'd like to hear about anyone's buying experience from them.

Thanks.
    isguy:
    Just for clarification, the gap doesn't exist the whole way around, only under the release area.
  • Anybody interested in purchasing the stock rims from my '01 SE?

I am looking to get some 15 inch rims and 30.5 x 10.5 tires. If you want I'll even leave the stock duelers on the rim. They have about 12,000 miles on them.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    lspangler,

This is probably not the best forum for trying to sell personal items. You might try a classified ad in your local newspaper instead.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
    lspangler:
    A 265/70R16 tire measure almost the exact same size as a 30.5 x 10.5. (30.6 x 10.4 to be exact)

It would save you the hassle of selling/buying new rims.
  • Posted 2 messages concering Pathfinder headlight upgrade, didn't see any respond yet. Can someone give me some insight on this. I was thinking if I can transfer the HID headlight from the QX4 to the Pathfinder? Is it a just buy part from Infiniti dealer and plug it into Pathfinder type of upgrade or is there more to it? Also if it needs some works. What is there do be done to get that set of headlights working on the Pathfinder? I just want to know the process to see if I should keep looking for alternative. Thanks.

Jeff
  • Hi, was at a dealer's part department picking up the rear wind deflector for my LE Pathfinder and noticed a spoke style rims and asked the sales person how much it is. He said it's $275 a piece and it's from the Maxima SE. Was wondering if the Maxima rims would fit the Pathfinder? Also would the rims handle ok with the weight of the Pathfinder? I'm just curious, if I want a different set of rims, do I need to find the rims that is specificly for SUV or any alloy rims will do? Thanks for the helps.

Jeff

P.S.: Had the LE Pathfinder for over 6 months and just found out this forums. So had been unloading all the questions I had since I got the Pathfinder. Thanks.
  • couimetcouimet Posts: 130
    I don't know the answer. It's a good question. It would have been a good question for the parts department person while you were there ...
  • Hey all, am new here, first post. Am looking for veh to replace 89 accord. Need veh to serve as day to day as well as tow 16' aluminum fishing boat on wknds in Mass. Would like to find veh to combine car & truck to serve both tasks. Never owned nissan. The posts here are incredibly positive toward the PF. Only very minor problems here. Can you all sway me toward the PF? Have not test driven yet. How great is it? towing? comfort? cargo? lookin for assist....tanks
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    Welcome to the Town Hall, dakmaybe! I am sure some of the experienced "oldtimers" will be happy to provide you with the information you need.

We're looking forward to hearing more from you!

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • I'm looking at the BFG All terrains and if I get them for a 15 inch rim, they are $380 cheaper than the same size tires for a 16 inch rim. If I could sell my original rims, it would help pay for new rims and for the same cost as the tires in 16" size I'd have new tires and new rims.

It's to bad we can't list things for sale in the PF owners section. We could then see a listing of anything for sale to fit our vehicles.
  • cmerhycmerhy Posts: 1
    Just returned from a long drive (Boston - Toronto) with my brand new 2002 PathFinder SE. Overall very pleased with the SUV, with the exception of excessive wind noise. Feels like the db are quite elevated at highway speeds. Is this the case with this SUV or do I have a problem with my seals?

As an additional question - does anyone know what the filement line down the center of the windsheild is used for? It looks like an antenna line, but I have an external one on the car.

Thanks,

CM