Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• meca2meca2 Posts: 284
    I looked through the service manual about the light illuminating steady. It would be a great investment if we could purchase a Nissan Consult II and trade it with each other! The service manual menchened about "sharp corner braking" could cause the light to come on? Just turn the AWD off and turn it back on. Should always here the "beep" when turned off
    and on. Cheers....................................
  • Hey hey! :) I'm the happy new owner of a 2002 PF SE 4x4. Got it for $99 over invoice..... and I couldn't be happier with it.

400 miles thus far and still grinning everytime I see it. This is my first car out of college with my new job and I have to say that I'm happier than I have ever been with a vehicle. I've driven 2 Explorer Sports and numerous other vehicles prior to this and the PF has by far the best ride and comfort I've ever experienced.

Can't wait for more adventures in my PF!!!!

Happy Pathfinderin'
    C
  • danogdanog Posts: 318
    I just checked with the dealer and their price is $300. I read over the list of items replaced and checked and that seems accurate for the service. I could do a few things myself and save say $100 bucks but I starting to have less time for those activities.
    We're considering selling the Pathy to save for building a house. It is just now getting broke in good.
    Later,
    Dano
  • bgritzbgritz Posts: 139
    Can anyone help me with torque lbs. for the '01 16" aluminum rims? Thanks in advance

gritz
  • lofquistlofquist Posts: 281
    Shop manual makes no mention of specific wheels, but does give the spec as 87- 108 ft-lbs.
    -Jon
  • bgritzbgritz Posts: 139
    I knew yourself or Dean could help

Brian
  • I have an '01 SE which is coming up on 30,000 miles. After reading the prices the dealer is getting I am going to do this myself.

In the service manual it specifies to "Use only LSD gear oil API FL-5 and SAE 80W-90 approved for Nissan LSD). Can anyone tell me a brand name of this stuff I can buy at an auto parts store or should I go to a dealer to buy it. The footnote says to get a list of approved oil from a dealer. I was hoping someone on the board has a list.

Thanks
  • duperduper Posts: 127
    I used Mobil 1 Gear oil. I think Mobil 1 is good for LSD also, but you can add the additive if you like ( I got them at PepBoys). Just remember to open the fill-nut before you drain. It's a PITA; I had to use an extension pipe and my legs to get it moving.

Ps: I used 4 quartz for the rear (haven't done the front yet).

• steverstever Ex Yooper, just arrived in New MexicoPosts: 40,529
    Jon, you may be interested in this press release about the European Commission's proposed rule changes to stop car makers from banning cross-border sales.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Thanks for the heads-up Steve. This is certainly good news and hopefully will have an impact on the Canada-US sales. We Nissan buyers are spoiled in that Nissan does not generally prohibit cross-border sales. But I get lots of notes from people looking for other brands from Canada that are out of luck.

Also this press release does a great job of describing why vehicles are so much less in Canada. Go on up and get em! It's still pretty typical to buy a Pathfinder for $4000 under the dealer cost here in the US.

-Jon
  • After about 1 1/2 years my pathfinder began making a "boing" noise like a garbage can lid popping back in shape within seconds after turning engine off, winter or summer. Dealer said it is the heat shield (under engine) flexing, and not a problem. Is it, or isn't it? Anybody else experienced this?
    superdave42
  • I also used MOBIL-1 75w-90 Synthetic gear oil in front and rear diff. (no need to add the additive)I had to take my 01-LE to the dealer to have the fill and drain plug removed. Hope it helps.-CM
  • I am considering purchasing a Pathfinder as a tow vehicle for a 3500 lb. boat & trailer. has anyone had any experience (positive or negative) towing with a pathfinder?
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Posts: 621
    The Pathfinder makes a great part-time tow vehicle. I probably wouldn't recommend buying it just because it can tow, though. It's got a lot of great features that make the vehicle a great product aside from this. The new engine makes ample horsepower and torque for towing, and the truck handles more like a car than a 4300-lb SUV.

If you already own a primary means of transportation and will use the Pathfinder only for towing, it might not be the best choice... a quad-cab pickup is probably better for that.

The only thing that seems to be a common problem is the softness of the rear suspension when carrying heavy loads. A 3500-lb trailer/boat will have a tongue weight between 250 and 350 pounds, so the rear will sag a bit, and even more if you carry passengers (which I'm sure is quite likely).

This can easily be remedied by installing a set of Airlift Air Springs. Read about it on their ,a href="http://www.airliftcompany.com">website.

• Any new info on the new Pathy body style due out in a year or so?

Bill
  • dieselonedieselone Posts: 5,650
    I tow with my 01 LE quite a bit. I find it to be a great tow vehicle as long as you don't overload it. I just got back from Florida and towed a 12' uhaul box trailer with tandem axles. The trip was about 1200 miles and the path towed great. I normaly tow my boat which weighs about 3200lbs with about 180lbs on the tonque. I hardly know it's behind me and handling is good as well. The heaviest boat I've towed is a 23' Larson bowrider that tipped the scales around 4000lbs. The path handled that well, but I wasn't loaded with anything else and compared to my boat I definitely new it was behind me. I wouldn't recommend towing that kind of load cross country with a family and luggage. A 3500lb boat&trailer is a piece of cake for the pathfinder, anything bigger you probably would be better served by a larger vehicle.
  • I'm considering purchasing a 2002 Pathfinder SE and read that it recommends the use Premium fuel? Is this true, and if you use the 87 octane, what is the risk? Lower gas milage/performance horsepower?
  • I've been noticing my 2001 Pathfinder LE is constantly making this electrical buzzing noise after I've driven it and parked it in the garage with the engine off. I called the local Nissan service department and was told "this is normal...it's the electric fuel pump making this noise". My question to you owners is, have any of you been experiencing this noise? My 99 Accord makes a simular noise, but only when the temperature is hot and driven for awhile. My PF make this buzzing noise near the gas tank hours after it's been driven. This noise use to only occur once in a great while, but it's now a every day occurance.
  • phil47phil47 Posts: 394
    see my response in the Problems section. Maybe that's it...
  • I have owned my 2001 LE for about 9 months now. For the last couple of months since driving on salty roads, I have noticed the outside of the tail pipe is rusting quite badly. The Nissan dealer says this is normal. I am not sure about that! Has anyone else had this problem?
  • kmrqkmrq Posts: 50
    I think its normal that your tail-pipe is getting rusty. My friend's 98 maxima's tail-pipe came off from rust, he just put stainless steel cover on it, but still cracking inside. After a while just replace the whole resonator with a new universal exhaust that fits into the same spot, like Borla's universal exhaust that looks exactly like our resonator but it has straight out pipe.
  • pbk77pbk77 Posts: 23
    Anyone from the Chicagoland area recommend a good place (dealer or mechanic) to get service done from my 2001 Pathfinder? I'd greatly appreciate any help!
  • I was very interested in buying a new Pathfinder and was very intrigued hearing how some people are going into Canada to save around $4,000!

I have a few questions:

Are there any US charges when you come back across the border?

Do you have to declair your vehicle?

Are the Canadian dealerships taking
    US funds?

This sounds too good to be true.....but if it isn't, I'm getting on a plane and driving one back!

I live in southern California and the cheapest I've seen a 2002 SE with the moonroof package is $25,500.

Opps, one more question:

Is registering the vehicle a problem?

TIA
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    You might find this post helpful.

tidester

Host

SUVs

bcooper,
    When you come back into the US you stop at customs and will pay a 2.5% duty on the new Pathfinder. There are a couple forms to fill out, but they don't even take 5 minutes each. A guy who got his Path in Vancouver a couple weeks ago said the stop at customs was 10 minutes total.

Typically what I see people paying in Canada for Paths is about $3500 - $4000 under US dealer invoice (including the duty at the border). It depends on the model. We've found a great manger at a dealer in Vancouver that everyone on the west coast seems to buy from. And note that in Canada you get the All-Mode 4WD on SE's with auto trans. You can't get that in the US. If you can do without the sunroof and fog lights they have a Chilkoot Special Edition which is special priced even for the Canadians!

Typically the dealers want a check in Canadian funds, but that's easy to change. I see it's time for me to post another summary here like the one in the QX4 forun our host tidester points too.

Drop me a line and I'll send you off all the info you'd need. Over sixty of us have done this last time I counted. Like I've said before I'm having fun showing others how to save this way.

-Jon
    jonlofquist@aol.com
  • Can anyone tell the difference between a pathfinder with limited slip and one without in regular driving situations... is it worth the extra money? thanks
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    http://isuzu-suvs.com/events/pb02-17-01/index.html

A Light off-road event in Southern New Jersey! Come enjoy the trails!

-mike

• LSD's pros and cons.

Pros.
    better forward traction and less tendency to get stuck. Advantage is only aprreciable between 0-5 MPH.

Cons.
    More tendency to fishtail (spinning both wheels has no lateral traction whatsoever). More frequent diff oil change interval. Can go against steering input on dry surface.

At speed, open differential is much safer because of less tendency to fishtail and loss control.
  • Thanks for the info. I am looking at 2002 pfinder and that was one of my concerns..but it sounds like since I'm getting a 4x4 I don't need the limited slip.
  • The last snowstorm we had here convinced me to buy a 4WD vehicle. The Pathfinder is at the top of my list with the Highlander a close second. We live at the top of a pretty steep hill. Any one have comments about the Pathfinder's snow traction, especially going up hills? Are the original equipment tires good enough or do they need to be changed? Reading the threads seem to suggest that LSD would be helpful.