Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• smokey75smokey75 Posts: 434
    Hey AC6000CW... about how much fluid did you get out of the transfer case? I'm planning on changing all fluids to Mobil 1 synthetic soon. By the way, you're right about the transmission fill being the dip stick tube - that's what the service manual shows. I had the same problem when I checked the rear differential at 15,000 miles. Very tight - had to use an impact wrench just to get the fill plug off. I'll never forget the look on my face when I took the transfer case fill plug out to check it @ 15,000 miles & fluid gushed out. I just kind of stood there staring at it, then finally decided to put the plug back in & call the dealership. It seems they overfill them at the factory & slap the plug in. They told me just to let it drain to the fill line. Just a little surprise though... had me looking higher on the transfer case for a fill thinking I had pulled the drain...
  • shark715shark715 Posts: 380
    Thanks for the tip on the rear diff fill plug. Mobil 1 Synthetic sounds like a great idea for the rear diff especially due to the heat generated from my frequent towing, but don't you need to add a friction modifier due to the LSD? I'm surprised you have not experienced any chatter from the LSD unit.
  • crikeycrikey Posts: 1,038
    I think you are talking about the seat tethers? That's the belt that connects the baby seat to the cargo floor.I think that's the T for tether in LATCH. I thought the other part of the LATCH (LA for lower anchor) or ISO-fit was a clip on the bottom of the baby seat that attaches to the bottom of the PF seat so you don't have to use the car's seatbelt at all. Are you using that? Gets pretty confusing!! Hope we're on the same page : ) ?

Yes, that's right -- the seat tethers. I use those. And I don't think we're on the same page as I still use seatbelts (I followed the instructions in the car seat manual). Although, it seems your description is right on the money:

LATCH System (Lower Anchors and Tether for CHildren)
    Anchor points are located in the lower outboard seating positions where the seatback and seat cushion meet. They allow the placement of LATCH System child restraint seats in the rear seat. LATCH System seats allow easy and secure attachment without the need for seat belts or locking clips.

I thought the lower anchors mounted on the floor are where the tethers connect to and that was what comprised the LATCH system. I guess I'm wrong. But, I don't know if I would feel safe about not using any seatbelts at all. I guess I have yet to see an actual LATCH car seat install. If any documentation that Nissan sends you has pretty good illustrations, I'd be interested. Thanks, Steve.
  • robt9robt9 Posts: 1
    Just bought a 2002LE, and the back cargo area rattles. Everything looks and feels tight. I do have the cargo mat organizer, but thats rubber. Also there is a fan type noise whine coming from the dash area. Even when turn off the climate control it still does it. Any thoughts??
  • woodyr1woodyr1 Posts: 142
    I have had rattles which turned out to be the rear hatch. I applied a silicone lube to the rubber gasket which seems to make it more pliable. If you can locate a road where you notice the rattle - stop, open the hatch and drive a short distance at slow speed to see if it is gone.
  • ac6000cwac6000cw Posts: 18
    The transfer case holds 2 3/8 qts according to the manual. That seems about right for what I had to put back in. Mine was overfilled also, I forgot about that.

As for the LSD, the Mobil 1bottle says it prevents chatter in Limited Slips so I am assuming that there is no need to add any friction modifiers. I haven't had any noises from it since the change.
  • I bought a new 2002 auto. 4x2 Pathfinder a week ago. This weekend, I noticed that when I have the vehicle in park, and I apply or unapply the brake, there is a clicking noise in the case that houses the shifter. I took the car in on Monday morning, and the mechanic told me that the noise is normal, but an acquaintance who also has a new Pathfinder does not experience the same thing in her vehicle. Do your new Pathfinders out there do this? Please let me know. I would like to know whether I should take it back in. Thanks!
  • phil47phil47 Posts: 394
    It's normal. That's the brake shift interlock (or some such name) that prevents you from shifting out of Park before applying the brake. If your friend's doesn't do it, something is wrong with theirs.
  • div2div2 Posts: 2,580
    My 1993 SE has @131000 miles on it. I switched to Mobil 1 lubricants when I bought it at 37000 miles. I use gear oil in the diffs and ATF in the transfer case and autobox. FWIW, the only gear oil I know that is approved for Nissan LSDs is Pennzoil GearPlus. That said, my LSD has worked fine on a steady diet of Mobil 1. I change the LSD at 30000 mile intervals while the front diff, transfer case, and autobox get 50000 mile changes. I recently switched to BMW synthetic 5W-30 for the engine as I can get it for under $3/quart. The engine gets oil/filter changes every 7000 miles or so. The current oil consumption rate is 1/2 quart every 7000 miles.
  • crikey--- Great site!. Pictures sure makes it easier to comprehend. I can't wait to hook up my boy's seat correctly. Thanks Again.

Steve
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Posts: 621
    With all the recent talk about fluid changes, I thought I'd ask what are the fluid capacities of the transmission and t-case? I read the t-case is 2.375 qts. How much should I refill in the transmission, if it's just a simple drain-and-replace? I plan to use Mobil1 synthetics in the tranny and t-case, so it would help to know how many quarts to buy ahead of time. Thanks.
  • crikeycrikey Posts: 1,038
    Sad to say that my 2001 PF does not have these lower anchors, I'll keep using the seatbelts. Hope that your install goes well.
  • tlj727tlj727 Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2002 Pathfinder. The volume goes up to only 31 is this standard for everyone else or do I have a problem or is there another way to adjust it. Cd's play very low.

Thanks

Terry
  • div2div2 Posts: 2,580
    Mine only goes to 11.
  • li_sailorli_sailor Posts: 1,081
    Keep posting like that and your audience will get more selective ;-)

Spinal Tap references aside, I have the '01 PF which has no visual reference to volume...kind of annoying, but I can live with it. I guess you'll need an '02 owner to confirm whether 31 is really the max.
  • My volume only goes to 31 also. But my wife only limits me to 10.

Happy Pathfinding!!!

Steve
  • normp1normp1 Posts: 25
    I realize that there must be a posting somewhere on this but can't find it. Can anyone tell me their experiences in using none factory cd's ( ie computer burned) I realize what the manual says but I 've been told that there shouldn't be any problem with home made ones. Obviously I don't want to wreck my new player.
    Also anybody purchase Weathertech floor mats ? How do they fit and look ? Thanks!
  • bigorange30bigorange30 Posts: 1,091
    with computer burned CD's. I do it all the time. I understand how you cold be concerned that they wouldn't play but how could you possibly think it could tear something up?
  • dieselonedieselone Posts: 5,653
    I think I currently have 6 cd's in the player that I've burned myself. No problems. I just wish the cd player had an mp3 decoder built in. Oh well.
  • zengetsuzengetsu Posts: 3
    I am average height, but when seated normally in a Pathfinder, the rear view mirror is right in my line of sight. I cannot see to the front right without ducking down to look under the mirror. Does anyone know of a replacement mirror that could be mounted an inch or so higher than the factory one. I can't slouch low enough to be helpful.
    Anyone know if it's OK to mix synthetic trans fluid (such as Mobil 1) with the Dexron III? I'm about to change my trans fluid, and I assume a synthetic fluid would be good because of all the towing I do. But when you drain the trans using the drain plug(versus a complete re-build) there are still several quarts of fluid left in the trans, particularly in the torque converter. So if you re-fill with synthetic you are mixing two different products. Is that a problem? Thanks in advance for your help.
  • smokey75smokey75 Posts: 434
    Hey SHARK715... I asked Mobil1 the same exact question & was told that Dexron III & Mobil 1 are completely compatible. E-mail me if you want me to forward you a copy of their reply (NHeitz@InsightBB.com)...
  • pathstarpathstar Posts: 201
    I don't have personal experience, but others have had problems with the 6 disc changer and certain CDs. I'm told if you put a label on it then it will be thicker than a standard CD (which have the label painted on). Just leave the stick-on labels for the single CD players, and use a pen to write directly on the CD and you should have no problems.
  • drdiggerdrdigger Posts: 3
    Does anyone here know who manufactures the stock DVD player that comes as an option on the LE?
  • bigorange30bigorange30 Posts: 1,091
    Yes, its CE (China Electronics). I have it installed on my QX4. Do you have a question about it?
  • gpsnavgpsnav Posts: 1
    Does anyone else experience the rattling noise in the back of their 01' PF when going over bumps (even small ones)? This minor design flaw can only be heard if and only if you have PF equipped with straight tailpipe and factory installed tow-hitch. It came to my attention to inspect my PF SE's rear-end after hearing the irritating sound when I go over bumps. After spending so much time searching for the noise inside the cargo compartment, I finally realized that it's the muffler or tailpipe (for the lack of accurate term) rattling against the tow-hitch (Nissan design center is located in a beautiful county of San Diego and i guess they spend more time on the beach than in their work area,hehehe). To satisfy my curiosity, i have also spent quite some time checking out other PF's rear-ends,heheh, and found the same problem. As the result of this, i decided to pay a visit to a local dealership in san diego, Ca and to talk to the service folks. They responded by telling me not to worry, it's normal. Very disappointed there! So i walked out to their PF lot to check out the 02' model. Guess what? Nissan's engineers found out the design flaw and fixed it by creating more space between tow-hitch and the muffler or tailpipe. So i showed this to the salesmen and asked them what i should do. They responded "The dealership is not responsible for problem such as that and the owner need to fix it on his/her own!". This was from the biggest Nissan certified dealership in san diego,ca. Even more disappointed now! Does anyone have any tips/hints and/or solution to this design flaw? Final note from a product development engineer, this problem should have been caught during the driving test performed at the factory before releasing a $30K product. this is from a semi-happy owner of a PF just for its outstanding performance so far!
  • bgritzbgritz Posts: 139
    GPSNAV,
    factory hitch or aftermkt?
    I have a solution that has worked GREAT for my aftermkt hitch the past two years.

1)-Slice lengthwise an six to eight inch section of 1" in diam. automobile water hose (black kind with nylon fibers embedded in it).
    2)-Apply a liberal amount of silicone adhesive to the inside of the hose.
    3) slide hose over/onto right hitch hanger (where contact in occurring) and let set.

It has worked flawlessly for two years, let me know if you want pics, I could have them posted after lunch.

good luck
    Gritz
    Hey gpsnav, for whatever it's worth, I have an '01 PF with a Nissan dealer installed hitch and there is about an inch of clearance. Have never noticed them hitting each other, and there's no marks on either piece indicating that they have touched. I live in New Jersey, and in my area the Nissan hitch bars are dealer installed, not factory installed.
  • drdiggerdrdigger Posts: 3
    thanks for the info. do you also know the model number? i wanted to do more research on its mp3 playing capabilities..