Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• gkatz1gkatz1 Posts: 296
    I got new Michelin Cross Terrain SUV tires from Tire Rack today. Haven't installed them yet. The stock Toyo's have 25K on them and they shimmy. Before I had them rotated the front tires were cupping on the outside edge, when I put those on the back the shimmy started. I said the hell with it and got the Michelin's. The tread wear rating is over two times higher than the Toyo's. I bought the OEM size. Once I get them on I'll let everyone know how they work.
  • shark715shark715 Posts: 380
    I finally got around to installing the airlift kit for the rear axle of my '01 PF today. With the minimum 5 pounds pressure needed according to the instructions from Airlift, the "light load" ride is noticeably improved...much less pitching and swaying on a rough road. I've always felt the rear suspension on my PF is too soft. I have not towed my boat yet, but no doubt the improvement will be dramatic.

Thanks to everyone here who gave me advice. If anyone else is contemplating installing the kit themselves, here are a few more tips:

1) Despite what the instructions from Airlift say, you can do the job without removing the springs. Once you disconnect the shocks and panhard rod, you can lower the axle enough so that the springs will be stretched sufficently so that you can drill the required holes in the spring base plates, as well as squeeze the airbags into the interior of the springs. I used a 3/4 inch hole saw along with a hex extension. Depending on the dimensions of your drill, you will need a hex extension in the 6 to 12 inches range to be able to reach the base plate with the hole saw. Granted the hole you drill won't be a perfect circle as you can't drill from straight above with the coil spring in place, but it's close enough.

2) If you choose to remove the springs, you will need a coil spring compressor. Most standard units have a 8 inch bolt, which is too long for this application. Most manufacturers provide an optional 5 inch bolt for foreign cars...you will need this.

3) According to the service manual from Nissan, the panhard rod and shock absorber nuts cannot be re-used. My dealer had them in stock and told me that they are "soft" by design. The torque spec for the panhard rod is 80 to 94 foot pounds, and for the shocks 49 to 64 foot pounds. BTW, the torque spec for the wheel lug nuts in 87 to 104 foot pounds.
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Posts: 621
    Shark715- Glad to hear of your experience. Did you install the remote air compressor also? If so, where did you put the compressor and the gauge?

It's odd that you had to remove the panhard rod. You shouldn't have to remove the panhard rod at all. (At least I didn't...) With the shocks removed, and the antiswaybar brackets unbolted, you can lower the axle far enough so that the springs practically fall out. To me, this seemed far easier than unbolting the panhard rod.

With the springs removed, it's really easy to unbolt the bumpstop and drill out the bottom spring perch. There should already be a hole there, and with a 3/4" drill bit it's actually quite simple.

Maybe the springs are different on the '01 though...
  • ballfire8888ballfire8888 Posts: 131
    Hi Gang:

Haven't posted in a while and may have missed comments on these 2 topics so apologies for that.

Has anyone installed wood trim kits and/or body side mouldings to their Pathy? I drive a 2001 SE AWD and am contemplating. If so, how difficult was the job(s)?

TIA!
  • shark715shark715 Posts: 380
    xplorx4, Sounds like I should have had one more conversation with you before doing the work. The instructions from Airlift said to remove only the bottom shock absorber bolts and the "bodyside" panhard rod conection. They didn't mention the antiswaybar brackets. If I had known, I would have saved a lot of time and effort...ugh! Anyway, thanks for your help!
  • bigorange30bigorange30 Posts: 1,091
    Anyone installed the Euro tailights on their Pathfinder. If so, what do they look like on the Pathy. I can't find anyone that sells them. I have seen them on many other vehicles and really like them. I was thinking of getting them for my QX4 if they make it look cool.
  • couimetcouimet Posts: 130
    Euro Tailights? What are they?
  • bigorange30bigorange30 Posts: 1,091
    http://www.procarparts.com/store/displaysubcategory.cfm?category=Altezza

I am sure you've see many of them on the road and, like me, just thought they were standard for that type of car. Many RX300's have changed out to these that I have seen.

• phil47phil47 Posts: 394
    I installed them on my 2001 LE. Very easy. Most of the time is spent cleaning/prepping the area you install them on, and making sure they are dead straight before securing them with that 3M sticky tape stuff. Takes about an hour. You could put them on in 5 minutes if you wanted, but they probably wouldn't be very straight or attached very well. They look great and work fine.
  • normp1normp1 Posts: 25
    Had someone open a door into my brand new 02 the other day and received my first door ding.
    Needless to say just a tad pissed off.

A couple of questions for you .
    Are the bodyside moldings you just put on factory aftermarket or from some other source? Are they available in body colour ( mine is silver) or black only? Finally at what height on the door are they applied ? ( I'm wondering how effective they would be versus just cosmetic?)

Anybody have any experience with the new paint less dent removal companies ?

Thanks for your comments
  • mabazamabaza Posts: 21
    Currently drive a Mazda 626 and am looking to get a Pathfinder as my next car/SUV. Since I've never owned a 4WD car, I'm not quite sure whether this is something I want. I live in Madison, Wisconsin so our winters can be nasty.
    2WD appears to be much cheaper, though, so I'm inclined to go with trim that instead.

Thoughts?
  • dcavicdcavic Posts: 9
    Have a 01 LE, at 11,000 miles started what I think is transmission flare. At one time I had a web site saved that had info on call backs and service bulletins. Does anyone know the address of that site? I would like to be prepared before I take the vehicle into Nissan. Thanks.
  • dlundgrendlundgren Posts: 17
    <<2WD appears to be much cheaper, though, so I'm inclined to go with trim that instead>>

No, no, no, no, no, no, no. You might as well go out and buy a Paul Reed Smith guitar and save a few bucks by leaving the strings off.

I drove Hondas for 22 years exclusively, live in upstate NY where we have some pretty serious winters as well - this last one aside. If you're gonna get one of these things, get one you'll love, which means 4WD. SEs are a bit less expensive than LEs, no less wonderful. Other than an occasional pang at the gas pump, you'll never regret it.
  • rpwaterloorpwaterloo Posts: 3
    jflash recently posted a link for installing the microfilters. Thanks jflash, it couldn't be any easier. I have a 2001 XE, so I currently don't have microfilters, but I have begun the work to install them. After removing the glove box I cut out the plastic area as per the diagrams. However, there is a small plastic cross piece about 3/8 of an inch wide above the top section and the lower section. I was wondering if anyone, or you, jflash, knew whether or not that cross section should also be removed to create one long opening from top to bottom to make the space for the filters. I have not removed it yet and don't plan to until I hear from someone, or until I actually have the filters and see whether or not they will go in without removing that small cross piece.
  • mabazamabaza Posts: 21
    dlundgren,

Thanks for taking the time to answer.
    Can you explain the difference between 2*4 and 4*4?

Thanks
  • jflashjflash Posts: 45
    Sorry, rpwaterloo, My SE came with the microfilters installed so I don't know if you'll need to cut out the tab. When I replaced my filters I don't remember seeing it. When I get a chance today I'll try to take a looksee and post the results. Anyone else help here???
    jack <><
  • phil47phil47 Posts: 394
    They are a genuine Nissan product that can be ordered from a number of sources including your dealer. They are a perfect color match, and the color is throughout the moulding so dings or scratches won't be obvious. They are effective for door dings that are the result of relatively straight door edges. They will probably deflect around 75% of the dings that might come your way, but not all. They are NOT as good as the significant types of cladding that some SUVs come with, like the QX4, as these mouldings are only about an inch wide and stick out around 5 mm. They are pretty good looking, relatively inexpensive and they are better than not having them at all IMO. Hope this helps.
  • My compressor is underneath the driver's seat tack welded at 4 points to the side of the frame member, and the gage is just to the right of the hood release.
  • loboyloboy Posts: 75
    rpwaterloo,
    You'll need to cut out that piece between the upper and lower sections to install the filters. I remember doing that when I installed on my LE over a year ago.
    Are you concerned about water, dirt, etc. getting into the compressor? I took it apart before installing it and noticed that it was a completely open/unfiltered simple air pump. (That's the primary reason I stuffed it into the cavity above the rear passenger-side wheel well.)

Does the gauge mounted next to the hood release ever get in the way of your legs? I thought about that location, but there wouldn't have been enough clearance for my knee/shin. :)

If possible, could you post or e-mail photos of your setup? Thanks.
    Can you explain the difference between 2*4 and 4*4?

2*4 is 8 and 4*4 is 16... ;) just kidding... You mean what's the difference between 4x2 and 4x4. Well, to put it simply, 2 extra driving wheels. No, really, I'm being very simplistic. ;) There's a lot more to it than that.

Let's put it in terms of benefit to you. The primary reason why you would want 4WD and not 2WD in the Pathfinder (especially in your severe winter snow conditions) is because the Pathfinder is rear wheel drive, and would be much more susceptible to spinning out in the snow. That's a huge difference in handling from your front-wheel-drive 626, which is basically a 'point it where you want it to go' kind of thing, not to mention it weighs half of what the Pathfinder does. Driving in snow with RWD vs FWD is night and day... with the advantage going to FWD, because the front wheels not only steer the car, they also propel it. 4WD allows both front and rear axles on the vehicle to propel the car, so on a RWD vehicle, the front wheels are given the opportunity to provide traction/propulsion to the steering wheels.

There are a lot more complexities to describing 4WD systems (and there are many different types as well), so I would suggest reading about 4WD systems at www.howstuffworks.com. It's very informative.

If you end up deciding on a 4WD Pathfinder, consider selecting a model with the "All-mode 4WD" which allows the 4x4 system to work without driver intervention...it engages automagically! (However, it also tends to be the most expensive.) If your budget doesn't allow for the priciest of the 4WD Pathfinders, and you still want an SUV, you might want to consider some of the front-wheel-drive SUVs like the Rav4, CRV, Acura MDX, Mazda Tribute (although it's really a Ford Escape), etc.

Just out of curiousity, what are your main reasons for upgrading to an SUV?
  • steverstever Ex Yooper, just arrived in New MexicoPosts: 40,532
    We also have a 4WD & AWD systems explained discussion that's pretty active.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• lawsonblawsonb Posts: 7
    I have been reading through the comments on the Airlift kit for the Pathfinder. I have a 2002 and would like to consider having the kit installed. Where are you getting the kits, roughly how much will an installation cost and who did you use to install it? I love the PF but don't like how easy it bottoms out in the rear.
    The kit can be purchased from many on-line vendors, including, but not limited to www.summitracing.com and www.carparts.com. Also, try this link:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=airlift+outback+special+price

Installation costs will vary widely depending on who does the work, and whether you install just the airbags or the compressor as well. Check the yellow pages in your area for companies that specialize in suspension work, shocks, springs, brakes. Also check companies that service/repair RVs, since many RVs use airbags for springs. They may be able to recommend a reputable shop.

If you're good with tools and don't mind getting a little dirt under your fingernails (and have a Saturday to blow), consider installing it yourself.
  • Hmmm, I didn't think about stuff getting into the compressor. I launch my boat with the Pathy and I'm just now thinking about it being submerged, but I don't think it will be in the water (I hope.) It's definitely something I'll watch the next time I launch. Yikes, I wonder what would happen if it was submerged!

The gage never gets in my way. I'm 5'8" tall and like to drive with the seat farther away from the steering wheel than most. I don't know if that has any bearing on the matter.

I'll email some pictures to you soon.
  • wildcorgiswildcorgis Posts: 84
    Looks nice and not bulky like other I"ve seen. It doesn't cover up the PF front which I think is pretty stylish looking.
    About 20 years ago, I had one on my 75 Datsun "Lil Hustler" PU and smashed into some one who ran a red light. As hard as I hit him there wasn't as much damage to my truck as there might have been. Even though the other guy took off I could see his car was much worse off than mine. So it looks nice and has some possible safety advantages.
    Mine did not have the extensions for the lights but it was very very heavy. How heavy is yours?

Happy Pathfinding!!!

Steve
  • plasmid1plasmid1 Posts: 11
    drbigz,

nice grill guard u put on ur pathy, where did u get it, and for how much??? it seems to be much better looking than the one nissan offers.
  • drbigzdrbigz Posts: 21
    plasmid1:
    I got the grill guard from an Aftermarket parts company. The guy there is really awsome and the price was by far the best especially since it included delivery. I paid $600 for front and back pieces and installation was pretty painless. Other places were asking for $800 with shipping extra. The [non-permissible content removed] one from Nissan will probably cost about 550 for front and back pieces and it's not even chrome. You can get a black one cheaper but chrome is the best. Right now, he's looking for a spoiler for my Pathfinder similar to the one on BMW X5.

wildcorgis:
    The grill guard is pretty heavy and sturdy.
  • plasmid1plasmid1 Posts: 11
    drbigz,

do u mind telling us what is the name of the company u got the grill guard from??? do they have a website??? thanks!!!