Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• cj724cj724 Posts: 13
    I heard that Nissan will have a new full size SUV (2004 model) due out in the fall of 2003. I'm not sure if it will be called a Pathfinder or if it will have a new name.
  • bgritzbgritz Posts: 139
    try this link. There seems to be quite a bit of discussion/people who have modded the Pathy in the ways you are looking at. look in the 96+ section

http://www2.4x4parts.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi

• Can anybody tell me the advantages and disadvantages about Lowering the vechile. I am thinking of lowering my pathfinder around 2 inches.
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Posts: 621
    Advantages - lower center of gravity, better stability, better cornering, better handling, easier to enter/exit vehicle, and depending on the eyes of the beholder, "better looking"

Disadvantages- waste of the 4WD option (if equipped), worse ground clearance, possibly a stiffer ride (ever watched a lowered Integra or Civic drive over freeway expansion joints?), criticism from the other camp who think that lowered SUV owners should be shot... image

Just PLEASE don't put a coffee-can tailpipe on your truck...image

• I don't have 4wd that's why I wanted to lower 2 inches.
  • pathstarpathstar Posts: 201
    Advantages - also, better fuel economy (usually).

You do have to be very careful that you don't mess up the suspension. It can get downright dangerous if you don't know exactly what you're doing. The fact that we only have one joint from the steering rack assy. to each wheel with no compensation arm would make me nervous about messing with the suspension geometry.
    compensation arm? What's that?

Another thing you'll have to use with a suspension modification is camber adjustment bolts
    to bring the alignment back into spec.

Here's a pic:

• nyguynyguy Posts: 6
    I need some advise regarding purchasing 4x2 or 4x4. The Pathfinder 4x2 is rear wheel drive, since I live in New York; my concern is that it wouldn't do well in the snow. Does anyone have any experience with the 4x2 regarding this issue?
  • crikeycrikey Posts: 1,038
    I have a 4X2 and I think that I've slipped a couple of times on slick roads (during a rainy day in FL). It could also be due to the tires, I have the Bridgestones. However, with All-Mode AWD, the front wheels will likely compensate for the slip. The 2003 models now have VDC and TCS which is a great addition.
  • brisoupbrisoup Posts: 43
    If I was you I would definetly get a 4X4 due to the fact you live in a area that gets a decent amount of snow. Since the 4x2 Pathy is rear wheel drive you stand the risk of getting stuck in deep snow.I personally would not get a SUV without 4WD because we sometimes get a fair amount of snow (I live in the Philly area.)
  • When I step on the accelerator from a stop, their is a lag before the pedal engages. It acts as if their is a dead spot or binding in the linkage. Any ideas? Otherwise, I love my 97 4X4 Pathy.
  • jiaminjiamin Posts: 556
    Maybe throttle cable is too loose? If yes then it's easy to tighten.
  • mjohnr99mjohnr99 Posts: 193
    Other than making the Leather Package standard and eliminating the Limited-Slip Dif. option in favor of the new Dynamic Control Package, are there any other major non-entertainment differences between the two years? Any exterior design or interior design changes? If not, looks like I could save $4,000 going with the '02.

Also, what are the rebates and incentives in the Central Atlantic region on '02 Pathfinders? Toyota is giving 1,000 customer cash and $500 dealer cash on top of selling the 4Runner at sticker invoice. Edmund's has no listing for Nissan. Does anyone know what, if any, rebates/special financing they have in this area and whether they are selling the '02s at invoice as well? Be curious what someone paid for a loaded 4WD LE with Leather and Lim. Slip around here . . . THX!!!
    Other than roof racks and boards, is the only major difference between the loaded '03 SE and LE the fact that the latter has 17" wheels and the former is restricted to 16" wheels?
  • jiaminjiamin Posts: 556
    I noticed the biggest interior design difference is the dash area. 03 has the same design as QX4, which is much nicer looking. Also the rear handles on the door frame has changed their location a little.
  • New 4 spoke steering wheel. Jiamin is right the interior looks exactly same as QX4 infact the wood trims are also layed out the same way in Le model.
  • Does any body know if we can install dynamic control package in 2002 pathfinder.
    With dynamic control package, floor mats, in-cabin microfilter, body side moldings, and tow hitch class III for total price of $31,400! (with only T/T/T to pay on top of that). Should I buy??? - only a few hundreds more than the '02s it seems . . .
  • that seems like a pretty good deal to me for a 4x4. thats about 2-3 k off sticker.
    - why would the '03s be as cheap as the '02s??? They are 1,400 under invoice plus 400 for marketing - no other processing fees or dealer ad-ons. Is this what you guys are finding out there? I have been a 3-year follower/participant at the 4Runner board, bit I am converting (some call it sellin out) real quick . . . anyone out there buy an '03 recently?? Based on what you faced, should I jump on this or hold off and shop around? They are offering 3.9% over 5 years.
  • I just checked my tire pressure which I do every once in a while. The 2002's are spec'ed at 30psi all around, yet this time my pressure was 26 lb psi all around. I suspect when I took it in for an oil change at the dealer they air-ed it down to 26 lb. I know previous years had 26psi as the spec, but it was changed. I don't notice a difference in ride at all, I am going to take it back up to 30lb per the door sticker.
  • jmw4jmw4 Posts: 67
    I just bought a new 02 LE -- List $34,570 for $30,000. Certainly a lot of vehicle for this price. I even got a relatively fair price for my Trail Blazer trade as they were very eager to close the deal.
  • I am looking for rear split exhaust system for my 2002 pathfinder Le. Does anybody around los angeles area know where I can find good deal for exhaust system. I have been having hard time to find rear spilt exhaust system, if anyone knows any brand that makes for late model pathfinder please lemme know.
  • Is it for looks only or will it provide any benefits ?
    There really isn't a "manufacturer" of dual exhausts for your truck. Virtually every 96-02 Pathfinder that has dual exhausts has been custom-done by a shop local to the owners.

If you want a dual exhaust system for your truck, call some local muffler shops (NOT Midas, though) and see if they can set you up.
  • pbk77pbk77 Posts: 23
    I was wondering if anyone else had this problem. Every time I start out using the brakes on my 2001 Pathfinder SE after a cold start, the brakes make a squeaky/squealing sound. After a few times of braking, the sound seems to go away. My dealership has told me this is normal, are any of you guys suffering from this as well??? Other than that...my pathfinder has treated me very well.
  • poswaldposwald Posts: 38
    I too have the same brake noise that you mention in my 01 PF LE. I have had it since new. Dealer also told me there was nothing they could do. The best explanation I got on it was that the rotors get slightly oxidized and that squeak you hear is the oxidized layer being scraped/cleaned off. It goes away after a couple of minutes every time which is why I never worried to much about it. I really love the strong braking the PF has as I have a heavy foot.
    What kind of financing offer did Nissan give you along with that '02 price? Thanks!
  • I have real problem with the rear suspension on the pathfinder. When 4 average size adults sit in the truck, it hits the bump stops when going over a moderate bump with both rear tires at the same time. THis is with no other wieght other than the 4 people. None of the 4 were over 200 pounds. How can anybody consider this to be appropriate? I've ridden in Sedans that were able to carry more without riding so poorly.

Last weekend I went deer hunting with two other people so we had 3 people, a couple bows and some clothing, not really a load and it was the same way, sitting low in the back and bottoming out on medium size bumps. I like driving the truck, especially with the manual trans. but I can't wait to get rid of it so that I can get a real truck. I hope the new full size pick up isn't this weak in the knees.
  • Would installing air shocks in the back help the "bottoming out" problem

If I'd buy a Pathfinder I would install these shocks the solve the sagging done by my boat trailer tongue weight.

The bottoming out could be a problem for me. Almost every weekend during the summer I pack the kids (2), lots of luggage and a large cooler, I attach the boat (250 lbs tongue weight). Gee I'm worried that I will bottom out with such a load.

Opinions ?