Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• dieselone,

what was the outcome of bringing your PF to the dealer last Friday. you posted a problem with humming noise at 35mph.
  • My dealer says the fix involves the installation of bump stops. He's ordering the necessary parts.

I have a 1998 BMW 323is that never bottomed its suspension despite riding much lower.

I'll wait after the fix is made to decide on rear shocks. Thanks for the instructions, but I don't have an impact wrench and my experience with replacing shocks in a Ford Fiesta during my college days makes me leary of trying it with hand tools alone.

I've had all the O2 sensors, the AT module and valve body replaced, all under warranty. Granted none of these issues left me stranded, but I'm still hoping the PF provides many years of trouble free service.

The dealer is also checking into the temp display TSB.

FYI, the NHTSA item numbers are:

SB633673 for the rear suspension
    SB632155 for the temp display

AW
  • danpf1danpf1 Posts: 80
    I too have fixed the problem with air bags and soon to fit Rancho shocks in place of the stock shocks. The stocks are too soft and bouncy. I did contact Nissan Consumer Affairs of CA. The person that I talked to, implied that they know of the problem, but that it is a dealers choice to fix it, if they think there is a problem. The fix is covered under warranty. The rep. would not tell me what the fix is. I think he said it is up to the dealers to decide. I'm going to stay with the air bags and Rancho shocks. I think that the Nissan fix is only a half a fix. And may cause problems with the front end. The air bags have made my 2001 LE ride much better, with and without a load. Also the air bags allow you to maintain a level ride under all load conditions. The dealers fix is the cheepist way to go but maybe not the best way in the long run.
  • danpf1, Did you put rancho shocks on all 4 sides or just the back? Did you get the 9000 adjustable series? What about air bags front or just the back? What is the total cost?
    Thanks
  • danpf1danpf1 Posts: 80
    nikiblue, I ordered 9000 adjustables for the rear only from www.4x4parts.com, they haven arrived yet. When I mount them, I will let you know how they work out. The air bags are mounted in the rear stock springs, with indivual air lines attached to each side of the PF running boards. I maintain (7) to (10) pounds in each air bag, for two to four people. Total coast will be about $250.00, installed by me. There are some on this site who have already installed both air bags and Rancho shocks. If anyone has, please let us know how it all works out, and is it better than the dealer fix.
  • Even when driving in 2WD mode, I can feel the transfer switch lever is always vibrating if I put my hand on it, although it is not making much noise. It's a '02 SE, only 1.5mo old. Is this normal?
  • nchelonchelo Posts: 8
    I have a 99.5 Pathfinder LE with yet more problems.

When the car was under warranty I had the AC Compressor replaced after only 33,000 miles. It made a horrible pinging noise. Now that I have 60,000 miles I have the same problem. You can hear the car coming from a half mile a way. Of course it is not under warranty now, and the dealer wants $750 to replace it. Has anyone else had this problem. I am afraid to replace it, thinking it will just have the same pinging noise problem a year later.

Similar to above, my fan is making an annoying whirling sound. It happens whether the AC or heat is on. Problem is I can't tell if it is actually the fan or something in the air ducts. Any suggestions so I don't have to pay the dealer $80 bucks in hour with the potential of still having the problem?

My Dealer has been useless as usual.

My Pathfinder SUCKS. I knew I should of bought a Toyota
  • that is normal. its quite annoying in fact for those of us with long legs since my right leg/knee kind of brushes against the transfer case lever sometimes.

nchelo - i don't know if you have any other dealers nearby, but maybe you should try another one and explain that this is a recurring problem for you. if not, try a call to nissan customer affairs ( the # might be 1-800-nissan-1), open a case file, explain it was already repaired under warranty and the problem came back. its worth a shot.
  • I had an appointment to have the rear suspension looked at in my Pathfinder but before I was able to take it in, the Chevy dealer made me an offer on trade in that I couldn't refuse so now I am driving a Chevy crewcab pickup. It hasn't bottomed out so far.
  • smokey75smokey75 Posts: 434
    I have an appointment tomorrow to fix these two issues now that TSBs have been issued. I'll let you know how it goes...
  • let us know how they go..

just curious, what is the temp tsb? i have heard of that but am not sure what the problem even is...

when you called your dealership were they aware of the bottoming out tsb or did you have to inform them of it..

I'm debating whether or not to contact my dealer about that.
  • Does this bottoming out thing apply to all Pathfinders or only some specific ones. I have 2002 Le and have no problems with anything except the dash rattling. How do I know my car is bottoming out. Can anybody help. Is there easy way to figure it out.
  • I'm still waiting on the dealer regarding the parts for the rear suspension issue.

The Temp Display TSB specifies "inspection" according to my dealer. I'll have them perform that work when the parts come in for the rear suspension "fix."

My temp displays has always been 3-5 degrees warmer. Funny given that I used to have a '96 PF with a temp display that was right on.

The bottoming situation (at least for me) is a loud and harsh "bang" when crossing speed bumps or rail road crossings with 1 or 2 people in the back seat and/or some cargo in the rear compartment. This would be annoying in a Buick, unacceptable in a "truck."

AW
  • smokey75smokey75 Posts: 434
    My 2001 PF is at the dealership now... should know something soon. The service writer didn't know about either TSB but that's not surprising. The TSBs were issued for 2002s even though the 2001-2003 are basically the same as far as these issues. But, I'm afraid they'll tell me that it's not for the 2001. The temp problem is that it reads way higher than the actual temperature. This is because it's mounted inches from the radiator. My guess is that the TSB says to move it to a different location. The bottoming out, as ANDY1961 said, only occurs when you have a load in the rear. I don't hear a bang or anything but when I hit a bump it feels like a harsh thud as the suspension hits the stops.
  • bimmer4mebimmer4me Posts: 266
    I have a 2001 LE with a rattle that appears to be coming from the vents...not sure though. I want to take it in, however, I'm a little sceptical of the local Nissan service dept...don't have the confidence that they can rid of the rattle without making it worse. I only hear it when the music is off...I almost always listen to music while driving and I guess that's my fix. Can you describe exactly what kind of rattle you are experiencing? Other than that, I love my PF and have NOT experienced this bottoming out issue.
  • I only hear when I turn off the music and also if I turn on the a/c the rattling seems to be louder. I figured it out today that if I press the center dash left vent the rattle goes away. You're right, going to dealer will make it worse. When I went to dealer, they said that they need to change the whole steering column and take out the whole dash and redo it. For a small thing they need to go that big process, it doesn't make sense to me. I just thought rather live with some rattling. Another funny thing is if I warm up my car for 3-4 minutes and drive slowly for while and then normal, there's no rattling at all. Other than rattling thing, this car has been superb. By the way, you might also try pressing the vent when you hear the rattling noise.
  • What's the part number? I can't find a fitting for the front strut.

AW
  • I think the part numbers are:

335015 (right) and 335016 (left)

Tirerack only listed up to 1998 model year, even though the 99+ use the same struts.

You can go straight to the page and order or call them up.

http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/index.jsp

Choose year model 1998.

• lok888lok888 BostonPosts: 1,758
    Just used the www.edmunds.com and linked to the dealership to request info for 2003 Pathfinder (3.9% and $1000 cash back) since 10/15. No dealer in my area had email or call me. Also tried the www.nissanusa.com and got no response. Isn't it great?
  • Is it a direct replacement?

AW

I think the part numbers are:

335015 (right) and 335016 (left)

Tirerack only listed up to 1998 model year, even though the 99+ use the same struts.

You can go straight to the page and order or call them up.

http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/index.jsp

Choose year model 1998.

• Yes, they are exactly the same as the stocks. In fact, OEM struts are made by KYB. The only difference is the aftermarket KYBs are about 15% stiffer and come in silver.

If you'd like to do it yourself, Xplor4x has a very good write up with pictures.

http://groups.msn.com/xplorx4/modkybgr2struts.msnw

• tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    No dealer in my area had email or call me.

You're not alone! I've had the same thing happen (actually NOT happen!) to me. I think it's a local thing with some dealers being cooperative and others, well, just too busy to follow up!

tidester, host
  • Thanks for the info and advice.

My PF is at the dealer today for the rear suspension TSB.

I'm definitely planning on replacing the rear shocks and front struts, but need to prioritize those expenditures against the new tires I need sooner. And I'll need to find a suitable mechanic to perform the installation for reasons I mentioned before.

AW

P.S. I'm looking for 2nd opinions on the Yokohoma Geolandar HT. They have great owner ratings in Tirerack, but Consumer Reports gave them poor ratings for ice/snow traction. Being in Minnesota, that's a big concern to me.
  • lok888lok888 BostonPosts: 1,758
    tidester - I have been getting a lot of emails from The Nissan Consumer Affairs saying they have made contact to the dealers. But I still got no calls or email. Interestingly, I got ton of email responses when I requested for more info on Honda Odysseys. BTW, I live in Quincy, MA.
  • crikeycrikey Posts: 1,038
    For those of you who have 2001 Nissan Pathfinders, did the dealers fix the issues in the TSBs? Did you just show them the TSBs from NHTSA?
  • Why did you select Ranchos in the rear?

I noticed that KYB has a 1998 rear fitment. Is there a reason why you didn't use KYB's?

AW
  • My dealer called to say that the rear suspension TSB (spring bumpers) has been completed on my PF.

He will show me the actual TSB when I pick up the PF later today. I'll post more details tomorrow.

He also ordered a new temp sensor, unfortunately that part will not be in until sometime next week.

I originally gave the dealer the TSB service bulletin numbers. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but unlike recalls, TSB's are not mandatory procedures, you need to report the problem.

AW
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Posts: 621
    Rancho RS9000 shocks are adjustable, which means if you are going to tow or carry heavy loads, or use your truck off-road, you can dial in the amount of damping you need depending on the circumstances.

Otherwise, you're just replacing shocks, not upgrading...

Then again, Rancho doesn't "officially" make shocks that fit the Pathfinder, so if you're concerned about warranty issues, then don't use 'em.
  • question for those who have had the TSB done...

does this tsb address 'sagging' which can occur with a load in the rear cargo area (even a light load)..

any other effects?

thanks
  • phil47phil47 Posts: 394
    Initial impressions...very satisfied, but pricey.

The insert is approx. 4"x36", powder-coated steel mesh with approx 3/16" holes and a rubber/nylon frame. Looks good, nice quality. It fits snugly into the grille opening just below the main grille, which is where most of the rocks/debris seem to fly into (mine looks like a war zone).

Installation was really a snap, literally 10 minutes. 4 zipties attach it to the vertical fins in the opening. You really can't see the ties, even close up. Time will tell how much abuse the zipties put up with, but it's pretty easy to replace them every year if necessary (though probably unlikely). I'd post a pic, but the website looks exactly like mine anyways:

http://www.grille-tech.com