Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• bigorange30bigorange30 Posts: 1,091
    don't buy an SUV. On the other hand, the Toyota Highlander gets 18/22 if that's so important to you. The difference in gas cost for 18 vs. 15.5 that I get is $297 in my area for the year assuming you drive 15K miles/year. This is taking into account that the Highlander takes 87 octane.

The ~$2000 difference for the QX4 is well worth the difference in my opinion.
  • Infiniti is offering great prices on the QX4. I got $5,000 off MSRP and 0.9% financing for 36 months! I understand this rate is not available on the PF. You might want to check with your local Infiniti dealer.
  • well, that is a good rate on a 36 month loan for the QX4, but I prefer to spread the payments across 60 months.

The PF gets worse fuel economy than the Highlander, but the Toyota looks more soccer-mom. so does the Pilot. The GrandCherokee limited is nice, but every other SUV on the road is Jeep. and it's V8 has even worse MPG, thus PF still wins.

I wonder why it has rear drum brakes even though it's an over $30k car? And why is there a fixed-mount radio antenna when there's also an antenna built into the front windshield? do most people drive without the exterior antenna attached? I've noticed all the PF pictures online and in the brochure show the truck without it.
  • pathstarpathstar Posts: 201
    The mileage isn't -that- bad (though it could be better). The power is wonderful. The rear drum brakes are fine - difficult to damage. Remember only 10% or less of the stopping power of any vehicle is from the rear wheels (unless you're backing up of course). The fixed mount antenna is an American oddity. It's a power antenna most other places (Canada for example).

The Rav4 Toyota would be a good choise if fuel economy is a big concern. It's a hoot to drive too.

My research shows that the Pathfinder is the best buy in the 4Runner/Acura/Pathfinder class. Or at least it was.
    Infiniti is also offering a 3.9% interest rate on 60 months. Nissan is offering no deals. Therefore the credit union will probably be the best rate there and I can get 4.9% on a new car. That 1% difference is worth $800 in interest over the life of a 5 year loan. That eats alot into the ~$2000 difference right there. I promise you that you wouldn't regret it. Just walk into an Infiniti service department and see how customers are treated. Sit in an drive both the Pathfinder and QX4, look at them in detail on the outside and see if you don't appreciate the differences inside and out. Inifinit gives a loaner with every service visit and Nissan does not where I live.
  • To Bigorange30 - I can't seem to find anything that shows the $5k discount on QX4s. The cheap financing only applies to the 2002 models according to Edmunds. Wouldn't I want a fresh 2003 model?

I think the exterior of the QX4 is great, especially those HID headlights. The door handles are color coordinated with the body, and the wheels are very aggressive looking.

But I think it's a little more than I want to spend, especially since I feel like I'm stretching a little for the PF. I appreciate your enthusiasm for the QX4. Great truck indeed!

Thanks for the info from Pathstar above regarding the brakes and radio antenna.

I can't wait to drive a PF home tomorrow. I'll write back if I get a good deal...
    wasn't also offered on the 2003. Edmunds doesn't always have all the information and sometimes they miss things. The $5K discount will not be necessarily advertised. If he says they are doing it, isn't it at least going to the dealer to check out what they are offering?
  • omega11omega11 Posts: 36
    The dealer i'm says that he has not heard of such a fix and that US TSBs do not apply in Canada.

Has anyone in Canada been able to get their temp gauge fixed? Any info would be appreciated.

thanks!
  • Yes, the fix has made a difference in mine so far this winter. We'll have to see if the same holds true this summer.

AW
  • bimmer4mebimmer4me Posts: 266
    I also had the fix and so far it's fairly accurate. In addition, I've had the bottoming out issue resloved too!
  • hojam2hojam2 Posts: 3
    i also had the temp/bottoming out issue both fix. the temp is fairly accurate and the bottoming out is resolved. satisfied with the service provided at great neck area.
    print out a TSB bullentin and bring it to them.
  • Hello all, I am the owner of a 2001 LE AWD. My wife has been driving it for the last 2 years but she just upgraded, so now it's mine... Anyway, I was poking around under the hood yesterday, looking in the fusebox. I noticed there's a fuse labeled "Rad Fan", which I assume is the radiator fan. Only I have no fuse, only the empty spot for it! And with the engine running, the fan seems to work fine. I'm in Phoenix, so I'm pretty sure if the fan wasn't working I'd know by now. Can someone else check their fusebox for that fuse and let me know it's supposed to be that way?
    It is for a radiator electrically powered fan. You don't have an electric fan so the fuse isn't used. I'm not sure which vehicles used the electric fan, but I suspect (based on other vehicles I've seen) it's the 2WD with the 4 cylinder engine.
  • bd70bd70 Posts: 30
    Can anyone tell me if there is an advantage to installing the Infiniti rear wind deflector rather than the Nissan part. I've heard that the Infiniti part doesn't require any hinge modifications or drilling whereas the Nissan requires the hinge mod. Is this true? Are there any aftermarket alternatives which are better/cheaper?

I'm also looking for a good system for fork-mounted bike carriers for the '03 LE rack system. I went to the shop today and the guy told me that the Yakima multi-system rack requires replacing the factory rack and they also have an adapter which will mount individual bike carriers to the original PF rack. He also told me that Thule doesn't have a carrier for this rack. I'm looking only for the fork-mount, not an upright, unless someone has a reason why I should consider one.

Finally, I posted a while back regarding body tilt to the driver side. Well, seems that they confirmed this and it needs a new spring. The PF already has 6 days in the shop in less than a month for preexisting problems and now will spend another day or two, still within the first month. I still love driving and looking at the thing, but I'm starting to think lemon law...
  • Thanks for your guys' responses. Can you help me out and tell me at least what the TSB number is? Is there something I can give the dealership for reference, because they have played dumb in the past.

Also, I have a 99.5 Pathfinder (new style, old engine). Wouldn't mine be affected by the bottoming out issue also, since I don't think they've made any changes to the suspension in the last couple years. What exactly did they repair when they followed the TSB for the bottoming out?

Thanks again!!!!
  • My 03 SE will not down shift even as low as 35 mph, so when I'm driving around on surface streets (maintaining 35-50 mph)I get a terrible vibration from the engine/transmission, just like when driving a stick in the wrong gear.

Also my brakes seem awfully squishy, I really have to stand on it to slow down quickly, it feels like there is a lot of gas build up between the pads and rotors. I also checked the brake fluid level and it's right on. Maybe there's air in the brake line. I'll have it looked at when it goes in for service in a couple of weeks.
  • You can go to the NHTSA web site

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/tsb/

to find the applicable service bulletins. But the dealer will need to cross reference those against Nissan's data base using your VIN.

The "bottoming out" fix involves installing new bump stops in the rear springs.

AW
  • sivi1sivi1 Posts: 82
    have 02 le and my brakes are almost too touchy compared to my maxima and mbenz. also shifts so smoothley i can hardley feel it. i'd have nissan check it.
  • I've searched the board for info regarding purchasing tires as its time to replace the stock tires on my 01 SE. Right now I'm leaning towards the Michelin LTX M/S but am also looking at the Michelin Cross Terrain SUV. Can anyone tell me what the difference is between these two tires besides the rating? I'm not sure its worth the extra $100 for the Cross Terrain just for one higher rating step. Also, considering the Pirelli Scorpions but my past experience with Pirelli's is that they dont last as long. Can anyone comment on this? Should I be considering other tires? I like outside of Boston so my main concerns are rain and snow plus this vehicle sees most of its action on the highway....

Thanks in advance for the help. The wife (who is the main driver of the PF) cant believe that I would spend this much effort on getting tires but she'll benefit I believe.
  • I replaced my 01 SE stock duellers last November with the Michelin LTX/MS. I was going on 22,000 miles with the OEM tires, and since i was going up to snowboard more, i didn't feel comfortable with the duellers the pathfinder had on. The Michelin tires are great! Very quiet on the highway, and the traction is very good. I was also looking at the Cross Terrain tires, but the extra $$$ put me off, and the fact that i don't do a lot of off-roading, made the Michelin tires a more appealing purchase.
  • smokey75smokey75 Posts: 434
    I went through two sets of Pirelli Scorpion ATs on another vehicle & loved them because of their traction on any surface. However, they do not last as long as Michelins & can ride rough the first 5 minutes or so after the vehicle has been sitting for a while because they get flat spots on the bottom. I too am looking at the Michelins you mentioned...
  • I replaced my wife's duelers at 13k because of how sloppy they were. Put on the LTXs. She has done nothing but rave about how great they are compared to the OEs. She is not they type who would ordinarily have an opinion on the subject, so for her to notice is a great thing. Sold the OEs for $200 so the hit wasn't too bad. Lowest price in my area was at Costco of all places. Beat all others - small shops, Sears and the big discounters. They also occasionally have Michelin promos that will save you $60 on the set.
  • Does anybody else out there think that the stock PF horn is weak? Has anybody out there changed their horn for something better/louder? Even my Accord is louder...
    I bought a set of "truck horns" from a parts place. These are the vibrating disc type like the horn in the Pathfinder, just larger and much louder. Horns are usually used in pairs - the two horns clash, getting attention better. There is lots of room behind the grill to mount them. Use the stock horn wire through a relay to power them directly from the battery (through an inline fuse close to the battery). They draw a significant amount of current and generate lots of electrical noise, and this method isolates those problems. You can then put a switch in the stock horn wire, such that in one position the stock horn operates ("excuse me") and in the other position the truck horns operate ("get the @#$%*& out of the way").

Before I did this I tried an air horn. The compressor died after just a few months (only used the horn 3 or 4 times demonstrating it to friends).
  • mjohnr99mjohnr99 Posts: 193
    Very interested in this as when I have had to unfortunately lay into the stock horn, twice now, these other vehicles don't seem to "get it" (i.e., hear it) until it is "too late" (i.e., they are already on top of me). I have been checking out options on a horn upgrade for a couple months now and, like you, 1) feel that there is plenty of room in front of the PF's radiator and 2) that electric horns would be easier and more reliable than air horns (although they are louder, I don't need them that LOUD). This would be a pretty simple install compared to the audio systems I've put in before. However, I have not come up with a sure-fire brand yet. Basically, I see the Hella horns and the FIAMM horns out there as the main contenders, the latter being easily found at your local auto parts store as the wonderfully named: Freeway Blasters. What did you use and do you know their dB rating? I understand you put a switch in to alternate, and also have read a lot of websites where people simply replaced the two electric horns (Hi and Low) with two new Hi and Low horns, but I am thinking of a third configuration of just adding the two new electric horns on the same switch for a total of 4 horns. I think this may offer some benefits: it saves the hassle of having to pull out the old horns (one of which is behind the battery) [I could just install two new ones in front of the radiator] and it would achieve a louder overall volume [perhaps overkill, not sure]. Your thoughts? Beyond the obvious state law and inspection issues, I think there are some real electrical considerations though: with all 4 horns on the same switch circuit it would draw more current and there may be an amp rating issue for the circuit as well as a fuse issue. Did you ever try/consider this? In any event, knowing myself, I will probably wait until the warranty expires before I do this as well as a planned upgrade to the audio in the bass department (maybe a Bazooka amp/sub-woofer mounted to the C-Pillar? . . . but can't find anyone who has done this stuff on a PF).
  • dieselonedieselone Posts: 5,650
    Just got my 01 LE back from the dealer. Beginning around 20K miles the check engine light would come and go. As with all Pathfinders of this vintage the outside temp. was always high. Just bought a bigger boat so I mentioned the rear suspension TSB to the service writer as well. Everything seems to be the way it should be execept for the suspension TSB. Apparently Nissan only sent one bumper stop so they had to order the other one. Hopefully in a few weeks that will be corrected as well.
    I suspect the stock horn circuit can't handle extra or aftermarket horns. Have a look at the stock horn - it's tiny. That's why I used a relay off the battery. I reasoned the stock cct. could handle the relay activation current. As for make, the horns I got aren't big name ones, just standard "truck horns". They looked much better made than the brand name ones.
  • filodfilod Posts: 189
    Malachie, have you decided what tire you will get? I am thinking of the same Michelins LTX or the Cross Terrain. It will be helpful to know what makes you decide on one over the other. Thank you.
  • shark715shark715 Posts: 380
    Most of the group on this site are not big fans of the Bridgestone Dueler tires that have been factory installed on most late model Pathfinders, but I have no complaints about mine. I have 48K mostly highway miles on my '01, and it looks like I can easily get another 10k miles or more. While the Duelers are definitely not the most aggressive tires for off-roading, they seem to be a good highway tire - smooth and quiet. I run my tires at the Nissan recommended 26 PSI even when I'm towing my boat, and I've rotated them every 15K miles. I don't do any serious off roading, but the Duelers have been fine in up to 30" of snow, although with almost 50k miles on them they have noticeably less snow traction than when they had more tread depth. If anyone is interested, Costco currently is running a special on them (size P255/65R16). Their regular price is $99.99 including mounting, balancing, and new valve stems, and they will deduct $9.00 per tire if you have them mounted elsewhere. In additon, through this Sunday (2/2), they have a in-store coupon good for $60 off four Bridgestone tires. This brings the non-mounted per tire price down to $76 per tire. Tirerack.com's price is $85 plus freight, and the tire dealers in my area are quoting in the $120 range. This was such a great price that I bought a set and threw them in my basement. I plan to replace them this fall. I would not have had Costco mount and balance them anyway. I have the "dreaded" Pathfinder highway speed steering wheel shimmy so often discussed on this site in the past, so I'll have them balanced by a local garage that has one of the Hunter 9700 balancing machines.
  • jeg72jeg72 Posts: 18
    For anyone who has the slow window problem that seems to get worse in cold weather I think that the dealer has finally found a fix.

They replaced the Window/Glass Run Rubber (part # 803313W411) and noted that the ones I had were deformed and defective. They were essentially piching the window as it came up and I suspect during colder weather the rubber became more rigid thus making the problem worse.

Good luck to everyone who has this problem! Mine was free because it was under warranty so I can;t give you a cost.