Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• Gumdoc,It seems a little odd that your dealer doesn't know anything about your satellite radio.It's a factory option for god sakes.Did you try going to another dealer?Call the Nissan customer hotline?It is a option you paid for and there isn't any reason why the dealer can't get it working.The after market ins taller is right about getting FM like sound quality. If you do not buy a satellite head unit,they will install a tuner somewhere on your dash and run the connection to your factory unit.You then have to tune your factory radio to 87.9 or something like that and tune the satellite stations through your tuner on the dash.I still havn't decided if I'm going to go through with it or not.
  • Check the sticker that came on your PF. My PF was equipped with the XM radio option. This option should be on your sticker for about $400.This is OPTIONAL equipment. Not every PF is equipped with this option. The XM radio comes with 2 months of service but you must contact XM or Sirius first to get your service started. When you hit the radio button you will see the AM/FM/XM SATELLITE displayed. I also received a XM radio brochure with the paperwork for my PF. The service cost about $10 a month after the inital contract is up.
  • I had the same problem but mine was only on one wheel. The dealer didn't take any responsible for it so I just told them this is why people don't buy Nissan. I went to local wheel repairment shop, cost me $75 to fix it.
  • sivi1sivi1 Posts: 82
    i bought cheap italian air horns for 90 4runner, had dealer put same horns on 96 4runner, and same horns are on my 02 pathfinder. still working. always got dealer to install after making deal. i usually give the tech $10 tip and he really did nice job. always use a relay.
  • Can someone tell me which way the oil drain plug washer is supposed to face when changing oil? Is the side with the ridge facing towards the oil pan or towards the drain plug head? Thanks for any help.
  • I've had my 03 Pathy LE for 5 months and 5000 miles now. In 90% city driving with occasional stop and go traffic I am getting between 14 and 15 mpg using 93 octane. One question I have for the board is what type of motor oil is best for the truck. On my first oil change I went with Mobil 1 Synthetic ($8 quart from the dealer was painful....they suggested I could buy the oil somewhere else for much less and provide it myself next time) I want to maintain this vehicle as well as possible and am willing to spend the extra $$ to keep it in top shape for a long time. I was under the impression that synthetic oil was far superior, but one of the mechanics suggested that synthetic leaves a residue that builds up over time, and that standard motor oil may be better. Does anyone otut there have some good reliable info on this subject? Thanks for any help.
  • pathstarpathstar Posts: 201
    I buy the Mobil 1 at Wal-Mart (though I've seen it even cheaper at Superstore, but that's a Canadian store, which will not help you). The residue claim is a first for me. They claim to have run it in a Corvette for over 100,000 mi. from new, with no problems (but they were trying to sell it, so take that with a grain of salt). The Nissan dealer mechanics told a friend of mine on several occations that he shouldn't be using it in his Sentra Spec. V. This was after they recommended he use it! Each time they told him not to, they had a different reason. Personally, I love the way the engine runs with it in, and I think all the warnings are typical "old wives tales". Maybe they are afraid they will not be able to sell a new car to us as soon as otherwise possible?

The one warning I have heard is related to the seals in the engine. Some older vehicles seal material will not absorb synthetic oil, and the engine will leak oil because the seals shrink. The other thing is that if you use synthetic oil for a long time, and then change back to regular oil, the seals in the engine (we're talking of newer engines now) will then leak. Personally, I find this hard to beleive as well.
  • bigorange30bigorange30 Posts: 1,091
    You might want to check out the synthetic oil discussion board. I use Mobil1 and supply it to the dealer at $17.88/5 qt jug from Wal-Mart. That is $3.58/qt. I also use the Mobil1 synthetic media filter. I provide them both to the dealer and he does the change for $16.80 in labor on my QX4. I increased my mpg by 1.5 for a savings of $72/7000 mile change which pays for the increase in oil cost. I also tested the oil on my first drain of the synthetic which you can see on the sythetic board. I was told that I really needed to wait until after 20K miles and do it again to verify my interval.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,846
    Synthetic motor oil

and for equal time for the dead dino crowd:

Engine Oil - A slippery subject Part 2

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• In order to change wider tire do I have to change the wheels too.Right now the size is 245/65 17...and i want to change it in 265/40 17. Can anyone help me with this...
  • mbuntingmbunting Posts: 158
    My 2001 PF LE has a problem:

My passenger side body side molding is falling off near the front...

What can I use/buy to re-secure it?

Just under 32k miles on it - would this be a dealer/warranty issue?

Needless to say - this is the biggest problem I have had with my 2001 PF since I have owned it (December 2000 Purchase)...which goes to show you what a great vehicle this thing is.

Thanks for any help!
  • jiaminjiamin Posts: 556
    I think as long as it's not caused by an accident, it is a warranty issue. Do it quickly before it passes 36K miles.
  • sivi1sivi1 Posts: 82
    harley davidson was always talking down syn oils. they were even turning some down bad bearing claims. turned out they changed design on bearing. recently mobil came out with v-twin syn,and all of sudden harley comes out with their own syn @ $8.50 a quart ! i will still run mobil 1 in all my vehicles @ $4.50 a quart.
  • Does anyone know of a safe way to remove spray paint from the body/bumper?

I was driving downtown today when i was hit by the spray of a damaged can of spray paint on the road.

thanks.
  • pathstarpathstar Posts: 201
    Quick, use paint thinner on a soft cloth before it hardens fully. Test the thinner inside a door jamb first (use a white cloth so you will see if it removes the original paint). Once you have the spray paint off, wash the area with car detergent and then wax it.
  • woodyr1woodyr1 Posts: 142
    Pathstar - I am considering synthetic oil for my Pathfinder (recommended by my service tech.). What price do you pay for oil at Superstore, compared with Wal-Mart? Their is neither of these stores where I live, but both are in the nearby larger cities.

Thanks, Woody in BC
  • Why risk your finish if you don't have to? Paint thinner will harm your clearcoat. Get some glaze or polish - 3M hand glaze is teriffic, Mother's polishes are good also. Depending on how much and how thick it is on there, clay bars will also skim off residue nicely.
  • I have had my 01 (and a 1/2) Pathfinder for a few years and am generally happy with it (although not a fanatic as I used to be). Does anyone else have the following "problems":

1) Power windows
    The windows go down fine but when I roll them up they go back down again unless I hold the button. Also, in any temperature less than 30 degrees, they are horribly slow or won't move at all. I had to drive in 10 degree weather with my window down because it simply would not go up.

2) Washer fluid release
    Won't release any fluid at 35 degrees (temp) or less. Every other car on the road is fine but mine (forced to drive with unbelievable amounts of dirt on the windshield).

3) Nicks / Dents
    I have a few very annoying nicks / dents. My Jeep body was flawless after 8 years and my Pathfinder looks "old" after just a few years.

4) Decent, not great, in snow/ice
    I tend to fishtail more than I ever did in my Jeep, even when switched from "Auto" to "4Hi."

Anyone else have similar experiences. The truck runs wonderfully and I have no complaints from that standpoint but the electrical problems and my impression of its ability in snow /ice are discouraging.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Posts: 621
    1) no comment. ???
    2) Try a washer fluid that has a lower freezing point. The fluid could be frozen in the lines.
    3) no comment.
    4) How much torque and HP did your Jeep have? What kind of tires did it have? Your Pathfinder probably has more power and poorer tires than the Jeep, which could contribute to its sloppy handling.
  • You chose the same two I was going to respond to, and gave the same answers. Double what xplorx4 said!
  • GUSTER, if you scroll up and check other PF discussions, you'll find numerous comments about the window problem in cold weather and how to have the dealer fix it. My PF is two weeks old, and I haven't had any problems with the windows in this latest blast of cold weather, but I'm not really rolling them down either. I pay tolls via an electronic transponder (Chicago).

I just ordered PIAA bulbs online for the headlights and the fog lights. I hope they improve the stock lighting...
  • phil47phil47 Posts: 394
    I had the exact problem with my 2001 LE. I finally took it to the dealer and they "adjusted the power window regulator". They essentially aligned it better in the tracks. Works great now (no slowing, stopping or reversing). They did warn me that this fix SOMETIMES leads to a slightly loose window in hot weather when if you leave it rolled down halfway. I'm very happy with the fix.

Incidentally, I've found the Pathy to be very good at not showing dings, dents and chips. After 2.5 years (almost 3 full winters) it looks like new. It could just be bad luck...
  • Thanks for the suggestions for ways to remove the spray paint from my pathy. I'm going to try some cleaner/polish from a detailing shop tommorow. Hope it works!
  • jiaminjiamin Posts: 556
    I'm not sure if I could provide a link here, which describes each step in details with pictures. This link is for Nissan/Infiniti parts order. Mr. Host, I don't think it is allowed, correct?

I'll describe it after work today.
  • crikeycrikey Posts: 1,038
    Did you guys see this?

2004 Nissan Pathfinder Armada Set For New York International Auto Show in April Debut....

The new V8-powered, eight-passenger full-size SUV is designed to take the legendary Pathfinder name and reputation to a whole new dimension - adding a sense of premium sophistication, power and size. The Pathfinder Armada goes on sale this fall as a 2004 model. It will be assembled at Nissan's new $1.4 billion plant in Canton, Mississippi.
  • bigorange30bigorange30 Posts: 1,091
    The Titan is a truck and it was introduced at the Detroit International Auto Show in January. This is an SUV and has no bed. As has been stated in the past though, it is on the same frame/platform as the Titan.
  • mjohnr99mjohnr99 Posts: 193
    I only have a sec, so notime to explain, but on the spary paint don't do anything other thean the clay bar suggestion. Check out the research into professional quality clay bars on the net. It ias the only product that wuill completely remove things like spray paint with 0 damage to clear coat, finish, etc. - - i know from experience, but gotta go! Don't rush in on this . . .
  • smokey75smokey75 Posts: 434
    Hey CRIKEY, where did that pic come from?
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Those pictures belong to Nissan News.

tidester, host