Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• poseidonposeidon Posts: 30
    Do you mind me asking what your source is, and if it's accessible to mere mortals like myself who are outside of the automotive industry. Thanks again.
  • mchinmchin Posts: 22
    I was wondering if any one has the Goodyear fortera on their PF? Do they like them? I am comparing the Fortera with the Michelin LTX and Michelin Cross Terrain. Thanks.
  • fleetwoodsimcafleetwoodsimca Posts: 1,518
    I found that the Fortera is far superior to the Wrangler RT/S. If you buy Goodyear tires, make a deal up front with the seller that you will not accept any tire that requires more than, say, 3 ounces to balance perfectly. It took me almost 5000 miles of lousy tire performance to finally get a satisfactory solution from Goodyear on my Ranger pickup. I'll spare you the tale of woe, and get to the bottom line. They gave up trying to get RT/S tires to balance and let me pay some difference to get into the Fortera. It solved the problem.
    I put Cooper Discoverer tires on my Pathfinder, and I couldn't be happier with performance. I think the type was HT, which is a highway tread that runs smoothly and quietly. The first rotation is coming up this summer.
  • mchinmchin Posts: 22
    Thanks for the information. What made you decide on the Cooper tire?
    Cooper is reputed to be the last of the American rubber companies producing tires, and not being foreign owned. I have recently been advised that they now have a relationship with Pirelli, but "se la vie." I found a tread pattern in the Discoverer series that I thought would work well for my XE 98 Pathfinder, and so far my decision has been right on. Cooper pricing is competitive, as well.
  • li_sailorli_sailor Posts: 1,081
    I just patched up a small ding on the rear hatch, next to the window. Bondo, sand, prime, looking good, ready for paint.

To my surprise, auto parts stores like Pep boys and Auto Barn list 4 colors for all of Nissan (?!?!?) and not one is my 2001 LE's silver (which, accoding to the tag on the firewall is KR4).

So I went to my local Nissan dealer, thinking "oh well, I'll spend a little more, but at least I'm guaranteed a match" and....I was told that Nissan does not sell spray paint. He suggested that I go to a body shop and have them match it.

Anybody have a source for matching spray paint? Would a body shop mix and sell me some of the paint? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Tom
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,978
    I have a friend who sells truck canopies and most of them are "paint to match." The paint dealers install computerized mixing machines in the shops and you just punch in the code and the machine spits out a pint or whatever amount you need.

So yeah, I'd try to get some at a body shop or similar, but a small amount may be too much hassle for them to fool with. And you'd need a sprayer.

Maybe you can swap them some KK's for a half-pint and get one of the paint booth guys at the shop to spray it for you after hours :-)

Steve, Host

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

Try the other "discount" car parts chains. Also, check with NAPA and Carquest. I can't swear to it, but I'd be very surprised if you couldn't get what you want in a shake-and-spray can. My last purchase like that was from Pep Boys.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,978
    That's too easy. Next you'll be telling Li_S to just get some off the net (link).

Steve, Host

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• pathstar1pathstar1 Posts: 1,015
    Actually, a good paint store can match the paint and put it in a spray can for you. Look around and I'm sure you'll find one in your area that can do it. BTW, it's not just the colour, it's the type of paint that must match.
    fleetwoodsimca - Pep boys had 4 colors for Nissan and none was mine (silver metallic). But I'll check with NAPA (have one near me) and others.

Steve - thanks for the link! I tried googling but came up with squat...that site has my color in a spray for $30 (yikes!). If I can't get it cheaper, I'll get it there. At least now I know I can get it. Let's see...ideas for towing cross country, touch up paint...your KK account is getting full :-)

Pathstar1 - do you mean a Sherwin Williams type of store? They could actually match a car paint code? That's interesting...I'll try it. Probably be in that $30 range, though, I would guess...

Thanks for the help guys...I'll let you know how it goes.
  • nne3jxcnne3jxc Posts: 134
    Hi, I would also recommend Cooper tires. I put a set of Courser AT's (Cooper's "Mastercraft" product line) on my 97 Cherokee last year. Absolutely one of the best tires I've put on a truck. I had several of different tires on a full size Bronco as well as on the Cherokee. The Coursers blew all of them away -- especially for the price! I recommended them to a friend with a Chevy Surburban that's used for plowing and he loved them too.
    Now that I have an '03 Pathfinder (the Cherokee got whacked in an intersection) and have experienced the horror of those Duelers, it too, will get a set of Coursers in the fall...
  • db2gurudb2guru Posts: 2
    wcl22, from your post #6435.

I have the exact same problem!! Trying to speed up during a highway merge, let's say, from 30 to 70. So its aggresive accelerating. I end up putting my foot all the way down, and the engine kind of idles at 2200 rpm and feels like its the wrong gear, still going 30mph...

If I leave it for 10 seconds or so, it eventually clears up, but this puts family and I in a dagerous position.

I also have an '01 LE with 34,000 miles, and my concerns seem to be falling on deaf ears at the dealership. Did you get any resolution?

Anyone else seen this?..
  • Guys, I was browsing the 4Runner board and the new owners there are reporting between 18-21 MPG with their new V6 4Runnner.

I'm having all the trouble in the world to go over 14MPG here with my 2003 Pathfinder LE. On a highway trip I managed to get 16 at best.

Why is the Pathfinder so much thirstier? I see nothing that justifies that fuel consumption.

I thought it was the cold temperature of winter that was responsible for low score. But now here temperature hoovers around 75F and I'm not doing any better MPG wise.

I know I bring up this issue often but I can hardly get 250 miles out of a tank...

Dreadful....

Help me please.

World
  • bigorange30bigorange30 Posts: 1,091
    Why is it such a big deal? Gas is cheap. It costs you about a couple of dollars a week. I spend 3X that on lunch in one day.
  • Maybe, but unfortunate. True I spend much more on food too. But as far as I'm concerned, the Pathfinder consumption should be on par with the 4Runner (similar weight, HP, torque, etc.)

It is a big deal for me because I am getting tired to see the the gauge move just for a simple trip to the grocery store. The other day I drove 40 miles (round trip) to see my mom in the hospital and the gauge moved almost 1/4.

I'm lucky that gas is cheap... for now
  • dieselonedieselone Posts: 5,653
    Ever since I had the o2 sensors replaced on my 01 LE, my mileage has improved a great deal. Was getting 14-16, have been getting 17-19 ever since. My last trip was 600 miles round trip, set cruise at 80 both ways and got 18.9 mpg. I can't complain now. Also, I towed my 4200lb boat to Florida in early April and avg about 12.5 with o/d off and cruised 70mph. Got 11 thru WV mountains and almost 14 in the flats of Florida.
    Why is it such a big deal? Gas is cheap.

Ouch. That hits close to home ;-)

I average just under 17 mpg overall.

I guess the price difference is not that great...12,000 miles @16mpg @$1.78 is $1335 whereas @19mpg it would be $1124. But that's about $31 vs $26 a tankful. And using 120 more gallons a year hurts my conscience a bit.

So I'd like the mpg to be a bit better.

Dieselone...what prompted you to replace the O2 sensors? How much did it cost?
  • pathfinder13pathfinder13 Posts: 110
    I was exiting from freeway and soon I stopped at the red light but my 2002 Pathy started to shake so badly for while I thought there was an earthquake. It happened for about 5 to 10 secs and I have no idea what it was, maybe something got to do with engine vibration. Also I found out today, that while backing up with the wheel fully turned to right side the whole car shakes. Even the passenger can feel the vibration. I have only 14000 miles, Is this really a big problem. Has anybody have had the similar problem. I am just worried if the dealer can't duplicate.
  • texamau1texamau1 Posts: 42
    I got ~19k miles on my '02 pathy and avg 20-22 mpg (70% hwy & 30% local) and that only if I keep it under 65mph on the hwy. I noticed if I go over 65mph (70-75) on hwy it only getting ~15-17mpg, what a different!
     Does any one actually know how big is the tank on the 02 pathy? the manual say it's 21 gal, but when I fill it up (as soon as the fuel light came on) with 320 miles on the odometer. It only took in 16 gallon, does this mean I still have 4-5 gallon left when the light came on?
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Posts: 1,015
    It's a 21 US gal tank - 80 litres. You can only put about 65 litres in it because of the way the tank vent is installed (unless you're really patient and can find a slow gas station pump). I have managed to put the full 80 litres in mine only a few times. Nissan wanted to make sure it would never overflow when the gas in the tank warms up (gas expands quite a bit when it warms). One of my future to do list jobs is to figure out a way to redo the venting so I can actually fill the tank. The vehicle can really go a long ways between fillups when you actually fill the tank.

I think the frequent refuelling enhances the belief the vehicle gets poor mileage - after all, what we are getting is not bad for a 240 HP 4300 lb vehicle travelling at 80 MPH.

I'm burning 17 L/100 km worst case (winter) city and 13.0 best 14.5 avg highway L/100 km. The city mileage is bad, but that's what should be expected. The 97 Suburban truck at work (350 engine and not nearly as peppy as my 2001 PF) gets 17 L/100 km best case highway mileage. Otherwise it's "glug...glug...glug". Because of that it has twice the fuel capacity of the PF (160 L - now that's expensive to fill!).
  • nne3jxcnne3jxc Posts: 134
    I've seen a big difference in mileage depending on speed also. On a recent trip from New Hampshire to New Jersey in my 2003 PF I tried to stay around 80mph on the drive down and ended up having to refill the tank with about 1.5 hours to go. On the trip back it was raining so I was forced to stay at about 65-70 mph most of the way. I didn't have to fill the tank until I was almost home. I didn't actually figure out the difference in mileage, but I probably got about an extra 50 miles out of the tank. That would indicate, using Quick-And-Dirty-Math(tm) about another 2-3 miles per gallon.
    Still not great mileage, but not much different than my other car, which is a Olds Aurora with a 4.0L V-8. They both have similar horsepower. The PF has a smaller motor, but the Aurora isn't shaped like a brick.
  • goose1207goose1207 Posts: 113
    You still have 4-5g left in the tank when the light comes on. My driving is mostly in the city w/ a little bit of highway mixed in (although you could say it's all city because the highways are parking lots here in Boston) and I've found that I can drive another 70 miles or so after the light goes on. This is based on my calculation of approx. 15mpg on avg., times 5 gal. remaining gives you approx 75 miles DTE. Also, when I go to fill up, there is usually about a gal. left in the tank. I pretty much ignore the low fuel light and use the trip odo as my fuel gauge.
  • goose1207goose1207 Posts: 113
    The info re: the next gen. PF was in the NNA press release for the Armada. The info was also in a recent issue of Automotive News.
  • bkfulbrightbkfulbright Posts: 15
    I have a 2001 LE with a cracked windshield from a rock. I was wondering if anyone else has had to have their windshield replaced. I don't know about the other model years, but in 2001 the windshield has another antenna for the radio. I was curious if anyone that has had their windshield replaced had any trouble getting the original equipment or something comparable. I am a little apprehensive about someone taking out my windshield and getting it put back together properly, but what other choice do I have?
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Posts: 621
    I had the windshield replaced on my '97 LE just a few months ago. You just need to specify to the company that you have the embedded antenna, and they can get it no problem. The bigger issue you need to consider is how well the new windshield seals so you don't have leaks later. Make sure the company you pick has some sort of guarantee or warrantee against leaks.
  • poseidonposeidon Posts: 30
    Thanks again for the info.
  • danpf1danpf1 Posts: 80
    I have an 01 LE OWD with 17,000 miles. Most of my 01 driving is HWY or mountain. Last trip to the mountains 195 mile drive round trip, most of that mileage was in the mountains at average speeds of 45 to 60 mph. I filled up upon leaving and arriving at the same station. Total Gal's used was 9. I got about 21.6 mpg. I used my air there and back. When I travel to the coast I drive about 380 miles round trip. I average about 21 to 22 mpg, at speeds of 65 to 75 mph. a few hills and 7% grade there and back. I do very little driving around town driving with 01 but when I do I average 16 to 18 mpg. I usually drive my 98 Honda CR-V, which averages about 20 mpg around town.
    I use 5W30W synt. oil and keep my tire pressure at 30 to 32 psi. on both the 98 Honda 01 Pyth.
    No major problems with eather SUV.
  • I fueled up this morning.

67 liters to do 403 km....

16.6L/100km

14.1 MPG (US MPG)

17 MPG (Canadian MPG)

50-50 the mix of city versus highway driving... for this tank. 2WD 95% of the time.

BTW, the truck now has 8000Km or 4800 miles...

To be honest I would be satisfied if I got 14L/100 or 17MPG US for this kind of driving. This means that I could have driven an extra 75km (or 45 miles) with the same 67 liters.

World
  • woodyr1woodyr1 Posts: 142
    I recently changed my oil to full synthetic about 2500 km ago. I just completed a 1200 km highway trip at posted speeds (90 to 100 km/h), and averaged 24 mpg (imperial gallons). This seems to be the best I have done. By the way, for experimentation, I tried 89 octane for the trip, but expect slightly better results with 91 octane (which is my fuel of choice). I don't know whether synthetic oil helped. I have 43,000 km on my 01 Pathfinder 3.5 VQ engine.