Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• ppnffppnff Posts: 64
    The system on the QX4/Pathfinder is not a true all-wheel drive system. It really is a part-time four wheel drive system that is normally in rear wheel drive and switches to send power to the front wheel when slip is detected. A true all wheel drive system will generally split the power between the front and back, like the Audi Quattro system which splits it 50/50 front/rear.
  • toyotas1toyotas1 Posts: 134
    Remember, the Pathfinder is a unibody design! And it would be rather DUMB to have 3 $20-30k SUV in your lineup, yes? Not that Nissan hasn't made some REALLY bonehead moves......but this HAS to either replace the Pathfinder, or give Nissan a player against the CRV/Rav4. This WOULD be a smart move by Nissan, so they probably won't do it. I say it is a 'Finder replacement, since they use the words ROOMY and REFINED when referring to it.
  • pathstarpathstar Posts: 201
    My experience is as follows:

Auto mode - I only use when there is a possibility of tire slippage - my mileage will suffer a bit (10 to 20%) and there will be some extra wear and tear when in Auto mode. There will also be disconcerting surges and thumps when I stop and put it in "park" or turn off the engine (as the system disengages).

Towing a heavy trailer (greater than 1500 lbs) - I disable the fourth gear with the button on the side of the shifter. With a manual transmission, I would not use fifth gear on hilly terrain. I let the engine rev. - it's quite happy even at 4000 RPM.
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Posts: 621
    toyotas1-

It may be true that the Pathfinder has a unibody design, but remember it also has a solid rear axle, part-time 4x4 with a low range transfer case, and can tow 5000 lbs. FYI- the Jeep Grand Cherokee is ALSO unibody, but they introduced the Liberty... and it seems to be selling...

It would NOT be rather dumb for Nissan to have 3 SUVs in their lineup. Take a look at Toyota's lineup:
    1) Rav4
    2) 4Runner
    3) Highlander
    4) Land Cruiser

In fact, Nissan would be dumb to replace the Pathfinder with a mini-ute! Instead it makes sense to add a smaller SUV to their lineup. For many buyers, the Xterra is still too large and more vehicle than they need. In my opinion, the Xterra fits a niche market, and cannot compare to the Ford Escape, Honda CR-V, Toyota Rav4, or any of the other 4-wheel independent suspension FWD-based SUVs. Nissan needs something to satisfy those buyers. If Nissan DOES replace the Pathfinder, it should be with something like the Patrol, which is currently only available overseas.
  • alwaysfordsalwaysfords Posts: 210
    You've inhertited toyotas1's capitalization. VERY annoying.
  • brian60brian60 Posts: 76
    Is there still going to be an XTRail mini-ute, or is that what the Murano is? By my count, that means that Nissan is going to have at least four SUVs in their lineup within the next 1-1.5 years (smallest to largest):

1. Murano (XTrail?)
    2. XTerra
    3. Pathfinder (TrailBlazer size - next redesign)
    4. Full-sized model

Cool.
  • serpico1serpico1 Posts: 30
    ok people, i want to join you in owning a PF..looking at PF LE AWD from montreal dealer..quoted 41,900..great price..which is like 27,800 us$..not bad at all..

but here is where i need help..the dealer offered to deliver my PF to NYC (to a custom house for an extra $ 850 or so, i pay no PST or GSt tax..the 2.5 at the border is a wash..all i pay is my state tax of 8% in New york..

has anyone done this before..should i be weary? what if an XE version shows up? what is the truck has dings in it when it arrives...should i go pick it up in montreal..only 6 hr drive? or should i be pampered and have it delivered? what would you do?

any insights please...would be great..

eric
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,006
    Heh, I'd pamper myself and enjoy Montreal and its restaurants for a few days on my savings :-)

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• lofquistlofquist Posts: 281
    serpico1,
    Of the now 70 people who've gone to Canada to buy I know of only one who had it shipped and that was from Montreal also. From the note he sent me it ended up being less than perfect. It took three weeks to arrive and then he still had to go sixty miles to pick it up. Also the paperwork had problems and some "extra" broker charges showed up. But of course your situation might be different.

My opinion (did you ask for it?).... Take a cheapo flight up to Toronto and you will have your new Path in one day. Lots of people from NYC have done this. If you want the name of the manager at the dealer we all have used, just drop me an email. I also have lots of info.

Why not Montreal? Because Quebec won't refund the provincial sales taxes like Ontario will. Toronto is not that much further and it's all interstate too.

-Jon
  • lycurguslycurgus Posts: 4
    I want to replace the facory fog light bulbs on my 01' Pathfinder with Xenon bulbs. Can anyone tell me a good brand and model number to buy? I am not even sure if the electrical system could handle the Xenon bulbs.
  • serpico1serpico1 Posts: 30
    what a merry go around..can someone give me straight specific answers about buying a pathy in toronto..jon can you email me please..i have emailed you twice to no avail, maybe my email did not make it to you..but anyway if someone else can shed some light, that would be great as well..

here is where i am right now..

i have spoken to 2 dealers in toronto and one said an americ acannot buy and bring back to states..you have to have a canadian address..he also said " dont you think i would be in buffalo every weekend selling thse pathys at 4 thousand less if i could..so i am very CONFUSED..can this be done? is it shady? is it 100% legal?

i am looking for straight talk please...

kind regards and thanks in advance for any help!!

eric

erichochman@hotmail.com
  • ppnffppnff Posts: 64
    I was just reading on the Infiniti G35 message board here and noticed a slew of messages regarding a letter from Infiniti that went to all the Canadian Infiniti dealers and basically, the jest of the letter is that the Canadian Infiniti dealers can not sell to an American. A similar letter may have gone to the Nissan dealers in Canada.
  • gkatz1gkatz1 Posts: 296
    I would like to tell everyone that my tranny is finally fixed, but after all the trouble I've gone through the parts were back ordered. Still waiting :-(
  • I'm from Seattle. I went to Vancouver to pickup my PF. Love it, saved some money and had some fun in B.C. Jon, has helped out many here including myself. He gets no personal gain, he just wants to help. He might be on a trip or you have a bad email address. He has great info.

Americans can buy in Canada and many others have. I have exchanged info with others from WA and CA that have too. Find another dealer in Toronto. Jon will have some names for you.

You will need to secure financing on your own. Canadian dealers cannot finance residents from US. Dont tell your bank your getting a vehicle from Canada. Just tell 'em you need a cashier's check. Exchange it into CAN funds thru Currency broker.

Jon can provide latest procedures of dealing with customs from both sides. Beforehand, talk to your state license dealer about their rqmts.

Most important -- have some fun.
  • What is the expected life of the Duelers? I look forward to replacing them but I will wait until they are shot.
  • lofquistlofquist Posts: 281
    Eric,
    Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. The last two days have been jam with work and home issues. I spent my "spare" time trying to help a couple people who had planned on getting Infinitis THIS WEEK. I think this is the first time in the last 18 months that I haven't given 48 hr response (even when I was in Istanbul).

Nissan has not stopped US purchasers like Infiniti did this week. All is still a go for now. You should have no problem with getting a Pathfinder. Full info is in your inbox.

-Jon
  • normp1normp1 Posts: 25
    I realize that most people don't like to post exact prices that they paid but I,m interested in purchasing an SE 2002, and I'm a Canadian who lives close to Vancouver. Could anyone let me know where you found the best deal in Vancouver and the approximate price you had to pay in Canadian funds. Much appreciated!
  • ccneierccneier Posts: 1
    I am 6'4' and weigh 240..will the Pathfinder have enough space for me??? any advice will help!!
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    ...people who had planned on getting Infinitis THIS WEEK

INFINITIS?? That sounds like a disease!

Sorry, Jon! I couldn't resist!

tidester
    Host
    SUVs