Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• I'd suggest talking the dealer down quite a bit. I bought my 01 LE 4x4 from a private seller in July for $19,800 with only 25k miles on the odometer. With 10k extra miles and moving into a new model year you should be able to get it for $19k or less, even if it is certified. My truck was loaded with everything but a trailer hitch.

As for comparing with the 4Runner, I found the Pathy to ride better due to it's lower ride height and firmer spring/shock combo. It also seemed a bit more comfortable inside with more head room. The 240hp versus the old Toyota V-6 rated at 189(?)hp also swayed my decision. I do like the styling of the Toyota a bit more.

But, you really can't go wrong with either.
    Good luck.
  • joe233joe233 Posts: 43
    I went up to the 265/70R16 tire size also(Michellen LTX) on my 2001 LE 4x4. I've found that my tires rub at less than full turn in reverse, however I can't see where they rub anything when I get out and look at them.
    I saw the earlier posts about tire rubbing and fender well mods for 2003 models, is the contact point the same for a 2001?
  • I just want to thank Water12,Dinsdale,and Jiamin for telling me how to take cargo cover off.It saved me a trip to the dealarship.Thankyou.
  • I installed the rear window deflector last June on my 2002 Pathfinder. It made a world of difference. Before after it rained anytime the rear window was disgustingly dirty as well as the whole tailgate (black paint).

After I have installed the deflector the rear window is much cleaner as the tailgate.
  • Where did you purchase? Did you install yourself? How much $ and how much time? I have an '01.
  • scantyscanty Posts: 171
    www.irontoad.com. It's under the Nissan/Pathfinder/2003 link, but there is no difference between the model years after 1999.5. Cost is ~$62 plus shipping. It's an easy do it yourself. Gently pry off the interior trim piece with a flat blade screwdriver to expose the screws. Replace one side at a time! Takes all of 15 minutes. And it does do an amazing job at keeping the rear window clear.
  • sivi1sivi1 Posts: 82
    AS LONG AS 01 pathy has new 240 h.p. engine, do not even consider 4runner. i've had both. 01 4runner has weakest engine for a suv.
  • I have a 1997 Pathfinder XE which I use extensively for towing boats. I can tell you that having driven an old Trooper with a manual that an automatic is much easier to manage on steep boat ramps under load. I have seen guys with manuals who are not quick on the pedal, or lacking 4wd, be dragged into the river by the load of the boat on a slippery steep ramp. My pick - take the automatic, particularly for larger boats (3000 lbs and up). If you are always towing on land, utility trailer for 4 wheelers, etc - probably doesn't matter anymore - just preference.

laundryguy
  • scottinkyscottinky Posts: 194
    I just got mine yesterday and will tackle it this weekend. Looks pretty simple. one ?, how hard is it to take off the interior trim piece to get to the screws? And, do you have to have a torque wrench to install?
  • bd70bd70 Posts: 30
    It is a pretty easy install. Just remember not to remove the window from the vehicle after removing the hinges. Leave it in place. I only had two problems installing mine and they were pretty minor. First problem was accidentally dropping the self tapping screws into the body of the liftgate while trying to thread the hinge through the body holes. A real pain to recover the screws. You'll see what I mean when you open that interior trim piece, which just pops off when you pry it. The second was stripping the grooves on top of the screws. Try threading the hinges with the screws prior to actually installing the deflector on the vehicle. I went out and purchased some metric hex screws after stripping the screws. They seem to have better luck with handling torque (speaking of which, you do not need a torque wrench).
  • Can someone please suggest a place for a good aftermarket grille guard for my 03 PF LE. From some of the posts here, I get a feeling that most people dont like the Nissan grille gaurd very much. Any specific reasons for this? Are there better grille guards and if yes where can I find them.

Any inputs highly appreciated!
  • filodfilod Posts: 189
    New pictures are out for the 2005 PF. Go to www.nissannews.com

and click on the Nissan Debuts All-New Frontier, PF....
  • Jack44Jack44 Posts: 221
    Heading into 'Cow Country'...
  • bowke28bowke28 Posts: 2,185
    looks as similar to the armada as the explorer looks to the expedition. i like it!
  • I just bought my new 03 SE CrewCab 4x2 during the
    Christmas. After driving her about 200 miles, I encounter the engine stall problem. Every time, I make a stop at traffic light or stop sign, the idle speed needle drop below 0.5 (500/rpm) and then go back to normal (about 0.7). If I make a hard stop, the engine is also stop. I would everyone opinion before I bring the truck to Nissan dealer this coming weekend.
    try the frontier board.
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,662
    I was at the Detroit show 2 days ago and saw the new Pathfinder and Frontier. They both look great! Nissan is on a roll!

Bob
  • Thanks to everyone for their responses about the wind deflector! Sounds like they're worth the $122.50 CDN (plus installation) that our Nissan dealer quoted me. Maybe we'll have one installed the next time it's there. We just had the PF in for it's 6K km service on Friday. It's been a great truck so far, the techs say it needs an alignment (booked for this week, under warranty) and they're going to replace the hood deflector as it's defective (warranty). Tonight the PF's block heater is plugged in as it's supposed to go down to around -21C. Brrrrr.
  • On Jan 04 - I purchased a Nissan Pathfinder SE from my local dealer on Long Island.

I paid invoice for the car. There was a $ 200.00 or so "delivery charge" that was on top of that - that I just was too tired to negotiate away.

I got pricing from carsdirect.com and autobytel.com first - then faxed the pricing to the dealer and had them commit to the pricing before I ever came into the dealership.

Of course - they snuck a few items past me - that i had not bargained for - but it was because they were already on the car - seems like most cars on the lot are not stripped down - and this is how they bang you for a few extra bucks....besides working you for the extended warranty and Gap Insurance in the "F&I room" after the sale. ( I did not get either)

I paid half and financed half - the loan for the car was at 4.51% interest rate for a 4 year loan....it was similar to E-Loan - and I think I got the rate because I faxed over that info in advance too.

Before I went and looked for the Pathfinder - I saw no pricing message on this list - so in the event anyone else is crusing for a new Pathfinder - might want to try what I did.

In some ways - I wish that I had decided to stick with carsdirect.com - - - as that experience in the "F&I Room" was not pleasant. very high pressure. I am surprised they did not try to sell me rust proofing protection !! <g>

There was a $1,000 rebate in effect at the time. The "out the door" price - I forget - but I know I paid Inovice price - and taxes are different all over...So I feel as if I did a good deal. I am sure someone more patient and clever might have gotten them down more - but I think I did ok.

Pat
  • scottinkyscottinky Posts: 194
    I got to installing my bug shield this weekend. kind of a pain, but I got it on. had a hard time getting the hood closed until I got the weather stripping tucked in. However, the hood does not close flush like it did w/o the deflector on. there is a small gap at the top of the headlight to where the hood meets the grill. I know the bug shield adds a little bit of thickness, but I just want to make sure this is normal before I let Nissan re-install it.
  • I've got an 01' SE w/88K and am going to do a complete tune-up (I know the manual recommends 105K, but for a couple of hundred I feel it's worth it)

My question, has anyone recently replaced plugs, wires, cap, etc? If so, what did you use (i.e Bosch, NGk, Nissan OEM,etc) and did you notice any difference?

Any advice would be great.

Thanks
  • Does anyone know how the CD Titles work ? My display simply says No Titles. The owners manual says 'press DISP while playing CD'. Do you need specially programmed cd's ? I've tried with a recently released cd and an older one, but nothing shows up as titles.

Also, does anyone have Husky Floor Liners. I want to purchase these because they have a "tub shape" (raised edges to keep water in). My question is, do they cover the left foot rest ? My current pant saver car mats have allowed water to spill over on to the carpet and I hate having to drive with my left leg bent just to keep my foot on the mat.

Message #'s 7208 & 7210,

I too like the grille guards, but I noticed how close they contour the hood and bumper area which makes me think that it's more time consuming to wash the front end, having to stick your wash mit in the small gap, especially to clean the headlights/parking lights. By the way, in Canada we call grille guards, "Moose Bars" !!! Cows ???...those little animals???
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Posts: 621
    Not all CD's you buy are encoded with the title information.

Click here for more info
  • I posted awhile back regarding my incessantly rattling steering wheel (on near-new 2003 SE 4WD). Well, I fixed the problem - cut off an end off one of those rectangular pencil erasers and stuck it between the front shroud and the plastic over the steering wheel shaft linkage - works like a charm as a shock absorber - no more rattling.

The question is...why am I resorting to sticking pencil erasers in my steering wheel? After looking at some of Nissan's newer offerings (Altima, Maxima, Titan, Armada) I think the quality control engineers have either been fired and their work outsourced to Bangladesh, or they are on vacation. Other posters have said they have never had a similar rattle or even a rattle period. Since the 2003 steering wheel was a brand new design, it seems something is amiss over at Nissan.

Has anyone looked at the new Armada or Titan? Their interiors are starting to make The Chevy Silverado's look like a Lexus.

I really am impressed with my Pathfinder's interior - materials and construction top notch, but I don't think I would buy a newer Nissan based on my steering wheel experience.

I am excited to see the 2005 Pathfinder however, maybe Nissan can turn it around, like GM and Ford and Chrysler have been doing.

I have driven 2 cavaliers, a gran prix, a silverado, and a malibu and I never had rattle problems like with this new Nissan - disappointing to say the least. All of those vehicles were used and I drove every single one of them over 150,000 miles, the gran prix to 170,000 miles with no major problems.

Maybe the dominance of japanese quality is now limited to Honda/Toyota.

I also have "the shimmy" - taking it back to the garage this weekend.

I am finished venting - I am confident that once these problems are permaneantly fixed I will enjoy driving my Pathfinder as much as everybody else here.

I will keep you posted on the shimmy problem...
  • Nobody seems to have much information about the grille guards. To be honest, I am not a great fan of the front shape of my Pathfinder(at least not as much as my previous vehicle, Jeep) and I think the grille guard can really add that tough look to it. I dont mind a little extra effort for cleaning behind the guard. I was hoping to get more information about any other non-nissan grille guards that you guys might have considered. I guess I'll have to get the one from Nissan installed.
  • Jack44Jack44 Posts: 221
    Only if you are hearding cattle????
    i like the look,and the square back, {more interior room}, but i do not like a third seat pushed on me. they better make it an option!
    a 3rd seat is optional on EVERYTHING that has it...you can OPT to fold it down.

;-)
    if the backseat can be folded away, don't you understand the storage space that could be created. i do not even use my second seat! i'll take that space to put tools, etc.