Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• I need to get an "after market" hitch put on my new 2004 4X2 PathFinder. I live in FL (relatively flat), and intend to use it to tow a flat trailer every now & then for misc stuff...

I'm not sure what the recommended towing capacity is, but I understand I have two options: a Class II, and a regular hitch. Any advice on one, or the other?
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    While you're waiting for a reply here you might be interested in the Towing tips for SUVs discussion.

tidester, host
  • viking03viking03 Posts: 21
    I have two questions today:

1) I understand that the in-cabin microfilter is actually TWO separate filters. Is this true? I am possibly looking to buy the filters online and install myself. The dealer said the replacement filter is $70.00 and $105 or so for part+install. That seems a little steep to me. I seem to recall seeing the filters for around $30 online, but maybe you need to buy two...?

2) I never wanted the microfilter in the first place-it was bundled in as an option. I don't have allergies and am not that concerned about the air quality. Would it make ANY DIFFERENCE at all if I just removed the filters completely and didn't replace them? Would that affect the performance of the truck? I can't think of a good reason why it would - can anybody give me any help on this? I would rather save the $ than reinstall this part every 15000 miles.

PLEASE HELP Thanks very much for any responses
  • jiaminjiamin Posts: 556
    I bought twice from dealer around $32/box. The box has two filters already. I don't think it'll hurt the car if it's removed, but I'd never do that. I'll not reduce the quality of my life...
  • bsorsbsors Posts: 2
    by bsors Jun 25, 2004 (2:25 pm)
    I am in the process of purchasing an SUV to replace my Tahoe. I am looking at the Pathfinders and the RX 300. I have researched both and found them to be considered very reliable. I have narrowed it down to an 01 Pathfinder or a 00 RX 300. They are the same price and have similar amount of miles. Both are loaded. I am leaning towards the Pathfinder. But I am not sure if I should take advantage of the lexus great reliablity. Any thoughts???
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Posts: 1,015
    You can't just remove the filter. When originally installed you cut a slot in the air duct. The filter plugs that slot. You could remove the filter, remove the media, and put the frame back in to plug the hole. If you're going to go to all that work, you might as well just replace the filter. There are two, side by side. It's a bit of work to get them out - remove glovebox, remove "Pathfinder" plastic dash piece, etc.
    I have 02 QX4(same as Pathfinder) 4WD and 00 RX300 2WD. Both have top reliability. Depending on what you need: Pathy (QX4) can be used for more serious off-road, RX300 is more for comfort, actually much more, as it's so smooth and quiet.
  • Jack44Jack44 Posts: 221
    As jaimin mentions...The Pathfinder and Lexus are 2 different animals...Both good, but different...So it'd depend on if you ever were going off road...Or used a lot in snowy areas...
  • kris2kris2 Posts: 22
    Hi - Has anyone bought a pathfinder with the CD based navigation ? I would like to know if the navigation system comes with the complete set of map CDs (to cover entire US) or only the CD for the region where you are buying. I bought a used 01 Pathfinder LE with Navigation and the map CDs where missing. The dealer ordered them for me and I was expecting the complete set of CDs instead I got coverage area 5 (I live in Chicago) only. Dealer insists CD based navigation systems come with only 1 CD for the area where you live and the DVD based systems come with one DVD which pretty much covers entire US and Canada.
    If I were to buy only one of them now, I think I'd buy RX300. I never go off-road, and the worst case is every winter going to Reno for skiing. I'd rather rent a capable SUV for off-road. Toyota/Lexus has far better attention to detail than most other brands. RX300 is a little less stable (softer) than QX4 when turning, but it's quicker and faster than QX4. It feels lighter. QX4 has more HP and torque but it can't compensate its weight.
  • fromnorthfromnorth Posts: 1
    I just bought my new 2004 PF, and a long trip (1000km round trip) is coming up. The user manual says that I shall avoid long drive at constant speed (no matter low or high) for the first 2000km). I guess the question is that shall I take my new PF for this trip? Or if I have to, what shall I do, stop every hour to rest my PF?
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,244
    Just keep varying the speed, rather than running flat-out with the cruise control set at 80 mph (130 kph).

Drive for awhile at one speed then let the engine slow down 5 - 10, then accelerate to 5 - 10 higher than you were originally. Avoid the cruise control. The idea is to drive oil past the rings to help them seat properly.

Probably the best thing you could do is drive through the mountains, where it's necessary to shift and change speeds all the time.
  • ...or...you can rent a car and drive worry free by putting the wear and tear on some one else's car ! After all, your new PF is your car, and the rental car...well, who cares how ya drive it !!!

Also, just made an appointment to bring in my 03 PF for its 12,000km scheduled maintenence. So far, so good.
  • coupedncalcoupedncal Posts: 252
    It could be better to break in your engine on a long drive if you follow the instructions given above of varying the engine speed during the drive.
  • Sorry hit return by mistake
    Can anyone with an LE roof rack tell me if they have
    three cross bars that ride ride directly on the roof between the the main (raised) bars that are on the front and back of the roof rack, Mine was delivered with just the two raised bars, the one with the triangular tightening knobs and two tie down eyes on each track.
    there are additional(3) inserts in each track to accept additional attachments, presumably cross bars.

My older PF had these additional cross bars.
    Want to make sure the dealer delivered what I paid for
    Thanks in advance
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,244
    Our SE came the same way in December, and I had the same question, but never bothered to ask it. I think it's normal.

I'm seriously considering taking the "special" rack off to allow my Yakima bike rack to go on -- they make brackets for the standard PF rails, but not for the "upgraded" rack. Also, it'll open up the forward vision out of the moon roof. No doubt there are hidden fasteners that I'd probably need the service manual to find, so I haven't tackled it yet.

Anyone want to make their standard PF look like an SE/LE? I'll have the hardware, eventually.
  • neoneo Posts: 4
    Grab one of these puppies before they're gone. The deals are real. Just took possession of my 04 SE 4x2 in beautiful Chrome Metallic and could'nt be happier. Got a great deal. $1431 under invoice after $2500 rebate ($6k off MSRP) in Houston area. Toyota dealers wouldn't come near it with their 4Runner offers. Nissan dealer in town really dealing on his remaining stock (2WD only left). Spent the 4th just ogling at it (after driving it of course).
  • omegapomegap Posts: 7
    I've passed the 60k km mark now and have been wondering if i should buy an extended warrenty package from nissan. Anyone recommend it? The truck is well maintained.
    If I were you I'd not buy any extended warranty. I bought new 94 Altima, new 96 Maxima and new 02 QX4 (same as Pathfinder), and never bought any extended warranty. Most Nissans are very reliable. Some far I haven't had any major problem that I need extended warranty.

No matter how good a car is, there is a probability something could fail. But with Japanese big three including Nissan, if I buy extended warranty I will have much high chance to lose instead of gain.
  • bowke28bowke28 Posts: 2,185
    most warranties offer to refund 100% if you never use it...at least the ones in some dealerships. ask if it does.
  • aigengaaigenga Posts: 14
    I feel the shudder of warped rotors, especially when braking on the highway. At 28,000 miles on my 20001 QX4 it is too soon, but reality is hard. I am thinking of replacing the rotors and found interesting offerings on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1- &item=7910942643&category=33564

The question is - does anyone have any experience with secondary market rotors? What do you think?

Thanks,
    Gary
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    That must be a rather futuristic version of the QX4 - but I'm not sure why you're the Pathfinder discussion.

tidester, host
  • canuck3canuck3 Posts: 6
    Hello all:
         I'm looking to buy a PF 04 the Chilkoot edition with an automatic in Canada in the next 2 weeks. Just wonder if anybody especially in Canada have recently bought one. The dealers I called are not willing to take anymore than $1500 off the MSRP of $36200 CDN. I'd thought there would be better deals than that considering it's the end of the production. Any input would be appreciated.
  • aigengaaigenga Posts: 14
    Yeah, the date is a bit ahead of time, but so is the problem. I am on this site because the machines are almost identical and this site is far more active than the QX4 one. The question remains.
    Thanks,
    Gary
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Posts: 621
    I have had good results with aftermarket rotors on my '97 Pathfinder. I purchased a set of cross-drilled rotors from powerstoprotors.com for just a few bucks per rotor more than OEM parts would have cost me. The stopping power is phenomenal.

Click here for a pic
  • This is interesting. I have actually experimented twice on long distance trips to determine the effect of octane level on my 2001 LE, and in both cases found that Premium gave me more power and better mileage...what I expected and the opposite of what a few of you are finding.

I remember calculating that the increased cost of premium was almost exactly offset by the improved mileage making it economically indifferent, but the premium grade had the added advantage of more passing and hill-climbing power (very important when travelling on 2-lane highways in the Cdn Rockies between Calgary and Kelowna). I've never tried calculating this for city driving (too much variability I would think).
  • Are you using aftermarket calipers or the stock units? Have you noticed improved resistance to warpage or increased pad wear? Thanks in advance.
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Posts: 621
    Only the brake pads ands rotors are aftermarket. The calipers are stock; I just painted them red. I have noticed no signs of warping (and I tend to drive more aggressively), and not only have my pads lasted longer, but they don't leave as much dust behind either. The pads are Akebono ceramic.
  • I'm sold. I know what my next rotor/brake pad combo is. Thanks.
  • zzr12zzr12 Posts: 18
    I bought my LE in March and got $5,086.00 off. Paid $41,600.00 Retail in Canada is 46,686