Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• bgritzbgritz Posts: 139
    thanks for the link Dean,
    I had pulled it from your page before, but had lost the bookmark.
    Yesterday on AC there was a bit of discussion about a larger/more complete skid plate that someone was going to try and import. did you see that?

gritz
  • JPhamJPham Posts: 148
    An acquaintance is willing to pass on his '01 PF XE 2WD with on 16kmi on it and a 5/100 warranty (don't ask me why he bought the thing) for $18k.
    Is this a good deal? I'm in CA so don't need 4WD
    but would like to be able to cart my dog and two kids around.
    It seems for this price I can get a '98-99 4Runner SR5 with much higher mileage. At this basic level, how do the two compare?

JP
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Posts: 621
    Yeah, I saw that, but the skid plate they discussed looks too thin to be a real "skid plate". I wouldn't put anything thinner than .125" aluminum or .10" steel under there if I knew it would be banging into rocks a lot. My gas tank skid plate is bent in several spots as well, so even that's too thin.
  • ced1ced1 Posts: 8
    I got the complete set of weathertech mats, front, rear and cargo liner. They were expensive, but I love them. There is even a hole that can be punched out of the driver's side mat so that it too can be held in place by the bracket that holds the OEM mats.
  • robc5robc5 Posts: 3
    JPham--Sounds like the deal/price is quite good. In comparison to a 98-99 4Runner for the same price, it seems that the PF is the clear-cut winner. The PF has more horsepower (as 2001's got the great 3.5 engine) and a better ride and handling (Pathfinder is unibody, while 4Runner is truck-based). In addition, this PF is newer with lower milage plus the warranty--seems very clear, indeed.
    But, then again, I'm biased, as I love my '02 SE PF.
  • JPhamJPham Posts: 148
    Yeah, I do too so I nabbed it.
    The champagne '01 XE is now mine.
    I just need to tint the windows and slap the foglights and luggage rack on.
    Thanks.

JP
  • dts15dts15 Posts: 3
    I am in the market now for an SUV and found that I really like the Pathfinder and what it has to offer for the price. The problem that I am having is that I know time is getting close for the 2003 models to start coming out and wanted to know if anybody had any info on the new Pathfinder for 2003?

Thanks...
  • cretecrete Posts: 105
    Although it doesn't happen every time, I have the same lurching movement when in Auto Mode, and I put it in park. A quick jerk forward for a second or so, but I haven't had it happen a 2nd time a few mintues later. Xplorx4 is right, the t-case is causing the movment when the clutches are uncoupled. I think it even states something to that effect in the Path owners manual. This is a normal function for the 4wd mode.
  • hmamontovhmamontov Posts: 10
    This is the all info I could find. It's from www.freshalloy.com forum.

Contrary to what I was previously told was going to happen (sorry for all my previous "no 03 Pathfinder posts",) there will be a 2003 Pathfinder that will lead up to the release of the full-size SUV, which should have Expedition-size proportions. No one will say if the full-size will be called the Pathfinder, but there is no '04 commitment. Navigation is supposed to be dropped from the '03 but other than that, don't expect any major changes.
  • couimetcouimet Posts: 130
    I've read rumours that the QX4 was being discontinued. How abour=t integrating the QX4 into the PF Line as the PF Li?
  • tswinktswink Posts: 3
    Can anyone give me any insight on Long Distance Towing with the Pathfinder. I normally pull my 4-wheelers (total weight approx. 2000# with all of our gear) with my GMC 1500HD CC and have no problems. We are scheduled to take a trip this summer that will entail towing the 4-wheelers about 1000 miles each way, and with 2 kids it would be great to go in the pathfinder so they can watch movies (limits the "are we there yet?" questions).

I would appreciate any input as to what I can expect.

Thanks,
  • pathstarpathstar Posts: 201
    I posted an error in response to a question on how many grease fittings there are. There is only one, but it's on the transfer case end of the -front- drive shaft. It's there to lube the slip joint. I still find it odd that there is no visible slip joint in the rear drive shaft, where the diff. moves up and down, but there is one on the front, where the diff. is bolted to the frame.

It all seems to work well, so no sense second guessing the engineers.
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Posts: 621
    Expect to get crappy gas mileage.

Before you tow cross-country (sounds like you'll be playing in the desert) consider installing a transmission cooler. It will help keep your transmission fluid from getting too hot while towing (esp. in the summer!)
  • dts15dts15 Posts: 3
    Seeking people’s opinions on the DVD and Navigation System upgrades. Are they really worth getting for the money?

Thanks,
    DTS
  • bigorange30bigorange30 Posts: 1,091
    The wireless (infrared signal) headphones do not work well. They have a microswitch in one ear that is supposed to mate when they are put on your head. However, children's heads and some small adult's (My wife is a small adult.) are not large enough to make the the switch mate and they have to press and hold the ear piece against their head. I asked Infiniti to do something about it. They said they could not since it was a CE (China Electronics) system and they could not tear into it. Therefore, I did it myself. It was very simple for me to open it up, remove the switch and twist the wires together. However, it stopped working again and I have to look at it again. I would ask if there is a wired headphones if you are going to get one since they don't seemed to be committed to fixing the design of the wireless one. I just have to let the kids play it through the stereo speakers. On the bright side, I have heard that you can plug a Playstation in and I am currently looking for a power converter for my son's so he can play it in the QX4.
  • Today, I went shopping for mothers day. Flowers I thought would be nice. As I was leaving the local grocery store, I noticed the wind was gusting and also noticed an empty shopping cart whizz by at bullit speed past many cars and directly into the drivers door of my 6 month old Pathfinder. UGGHHH!
    You should see the dent this thing made!!!

So I pose some questions to you all.

1. Why does Nissan not put any sort of protection on the doors what so ever! (I looked around the parking lot and couldn't find even one car without some sort of moulding on the door)

2. Why does Nissan use such crappy thin sheet metal! (Just venting)

3. Can anyone recommend any stock/aftermarket stuff I could go with (like could you put a qx4 moulding package one?

And Finally

4. Why me :(
  • pitrottpitrott Posts: 37
    1. Nav/Dvd Upgrade well i find them both very helpfull and of super quality and it will help with re-sale
    2.IR head Phones i have the same problem with the auto switch in them but i think the IR signal will match with any after market IR head phone's AKA sony
    3.Renagade shopping cart... my 01 Le came with Body side moldings but of little help with a mach 3 shopping cart!
    4. For all my 01 does the Path finder lurch when i turn off the p-finder and i am in 4 wheel auto
    R
    Pit
  • cj724cj724 Posts: 13
    Well, it's been four months and I have put 3000 miles on my 02 LE 4x4 Pathfinder. No problems to report. Everything is perfect! I averaged 19.5 mpg on a 600 mile highway trip. I was going 75 mph with air conditioning "on" most of the way. However, I have only been averaging 14 mpg city but I do have a heavy foot. Its fun to drive!
  • dieselonedieselone Posts: 5,641
    Your pathfinder won't break a sweat towing 2000lbs long distance. I have an 01 LE that I tow my 3200lb boat with. In January I towed Uhaul's largest box trailer from Florida to Chicago. My towed load on that trip was at least 3,000lbs plus 4 adults. I avg. about 13 mpg @ 70 mph the entire trip. A box trailer is harder to pull than a boat or a utility trailer towing jet skis or 4 wheelers. The wind resistance is a lot higher. I tow my boat all over the place and I've found the pathfinder to be very capable. If your only towing about 2,000lbs I don't think an external trans. cooler is necessary. I haven't added one, but I definitely will be changing the trans. fluid at regular intervals.
  • jafo2001jafo2001 Posts: 98
    I am looking at the pathfinder. My biggest concern is that it not old has just 16 mpg (ugh!) but it requires premium fuel making it more like 13 mpg - equal to a v8 Explorer or something.

Is the premium fuel required or just reccommended and what happens if you don't put it in?