Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• mermmd2mermmd2 Posts: 2
    are you by any chance living near Houston and your dealership is located there too? your dealers service dept seem nice and accomodating.
    my dealership sucks. have the same problem with the squeaking sound on the passenger side and passenger side dash and told me they cannot pinpoint exact location and bring it back when the noise becomes louder.
  • dnadna Posts: 1
    I have a rattle problem that is exactly the same as sigb52 (#7935). The Nissan technician used a microphone and pinpointed the exact same place as described by sigb52 (area where the firewall and two other panels come together). I also feel the same way as sigb52. Drilling or using a blowtorch to take apart a welded piece raises serious safety concerns. On a positive note, my Nissan dealership has been very honest and informative about the problem. They are trying to work with Nissan engineers to solve this problem.
  • Thanks so much for the info! Thanks to dna as well. I just picked up my pathfinder from service today. The report states that the tech found some part of the glove compartment door was in contact with the rest of the dash. They insulated the area. The rattle seemed much improved after leaving the lot, but by the time I got home (20 minutes) it was as loud as ever. The rattle seems to take some time to appear after the car has been sitting. It also intensifies when coasting or applying brakes. Sounds like a loud tapping noise. Is this similar to what you are experiencing? I am just about ready to bring it to another dealer (4th time in for rattles). I am going back this afternoon and insisting that one of the techs take a ride with me so I can point out the noise. These rattles and are driving me crazy! I hope your situations work out well. Please let me know how it turns out.
  • yes run.....never pay destination. i neverr did... at the end they always took it off when i asked them to
  • Can anybody enlighten me as to what the no charge "patrol package" is that came on my new PF?
  • I believe it is the first aid kit in the back door.
  • Does anyone know if it is difficult to replace the water pump on a 97 Pathfinder? I noticed the part only costs $80, but the garage is charging $400.
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Posts: 621
    That sounds about right. Replacing the water pump requires draining the engine coolant, removing the upper radiator hose, removing the fan and shroud, all of the drive belts, the crankshaft pulley, and the timing belt cover. The water pump costs between $75-$100 depending on where it's purchased.

How many miles are on your truck? The timing belt should be replaced every 105,000 miles. While the shop is replacing the water pump, you should consider having the timing belt, crankshaft and camshaft seals, and timing belt tensioner replaced as well, since the extra labor to do so is minimal. If the timing belt breaks, your engine will be severely damaged.
  • You've described exactly the symptoms i am having with my 2005 Pathfinder SE. The undercarriage squeak is driving me crazy! Not to mention the other random rattles and squeaks that appear and go away now and then. My main concern is the undercarriage squeaking/rattling. Has anyone discovered a solution for this issue?
  • rabi504rabi504 Posts: 15
    I just want to up date every body about my experience with PF se 2WD. I have it since 2003, currently I have 32000 miles on it. Never been happier with any thing else in my life. No problem what so ever except a rattling comes from dash once in a blue moon, I do not want dealer to mass with it. Unlike my honda I did not have to fight,and deal with rude customer service. And take my car to the dealer to fix it. :)
  • I have a 2001 Pathfinder LE. I have found that during heavy rains, there is a leak in the roof somewhere and water drips in from the passenger side through the handle above the window. Has anyone else ever had this problem? I have not taken it to the dealer yet. It will be going soon. I would like some level of information if possible prior to taking it in.

It seems to me that there's a seal in the Roof Rack that is bad somewhere.
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Posts: 1,015
    There are two clear plastic drain hoses for the sunroof cavity. They know they can't perfectly seal the sunroof to the body, so they make the cavity a water drain system. I suspect at least one of your drain hoses is plugged or otherwise damaged.
  • HI, I have a 87 pathy V6 manual, and i have been having way too many problems with the secondary injection system, it idles fine, but when you drive it, it feels like it is being held back. I have replaced all of the rubber tubes because they have blown, and I have changed the filter. What am i missing? Is there a typical problem with this system? Can I cut off the system and change the cat? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Check out the fuel pump. It's getting old, and may not be keeping up. Also, there is a filter on the output of the pump, a screen type filter that is part of the pump in the fuel tank. If it's plugged it's usually a sign that the fuel pump needs to be replaced - it plugs with fuel pump debris. You can put a temporary fuel pressure gauge in the fuel line and run the pump through a restriction into a bucket to see what the flow rate is and what the pressure is. Be careful - fuel is flamable and fuel vapour is explosive! If you replaced the external fuel filter it's too late to examine it - if not it is an excellant place to look for fuel pump debris without having to remove the pump.
  • I just bought an '05 LE 4x4. Nice truck. The only thing bugging me so far is I can't find the dimmer switch for the dash lights. Is there one? I've looked in the manual for info and haven't found it.

Thanks,
    Scott
  • Found it. It's odometer re-set button. It turns to dim or brighten the dash lights.
  • I have the identical problem with my 2001 Pathfinder LE. Did Nissan tell you about a defect or anything? Have you had it repaired? My guess is that this is a defect that needs to be paid for by Nissan.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,298
    Want some wallpaper for your monitor? (scroll down to the bottom right).

Steve, Host

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• I'm thinking of putting an lsd in my 2001 2wd QX4. Anyone have any experience or opinion regarding how much this will help? I live in north Florida, so 4wd is not critical. I would just be looking to get a little better manueverability when driving on sand, wet grass, or dirt. Have read mixed opinions. Some feel that open differentials are fine, and some that the lsd gives you just the amount of added traction needed.

Also, I've gotten mixed input on cost. The lsd from infiniti, or even an after market original parts outfit will cost around $1000 or more, then about $200 to install. For that price, I could go through 2 sets of all terrain tires, possibly a better way to go. But, I also found an online vendor (won't mention name) that has an lsd for the pathfinder (mechanically idential to Q) for $400. Haven't been able to get the low-down on differences in quality, workmanship, etc. Is it just the name I pay for when getting the infiniti part, or a substantial quality improvement? My goal is to have an SUV that is a great commuter car (well, gas mileage is ... OK) but is also a great vehicle for camping, kayaking and other excursions that could involve moderate off-road use. My suspicion is that I can achieve this goal by putting on a good set of all-terrain tires and possibly an lsd or locking differential. And, considering I'm in Florida, that may suit my purpose just as well as a 4wd would. Obviously, I don't want to put an unjustified sum of money into a car that maybe will be better off traded within the next 5 years. OTOH, one of these QX4s could be a vehicle that would go to 300-400K miles. I already have 120K on mine.

thanks for any input,
    Stan
    Honestly, I wouldn't bother with the LSD for your application. Your QX4 already has all-mode 4WD, which essentially is AWD. The LSD isn't that strong, either. It does provide a low level of traction to the slipping wheel, but not enough if the traction difference between both rear wheels is high (i.e. ice vs. pavement).

If it were my truck and my wallet, I would choose better tires before installing an LSD. (Plus, adding the LSD will not significantly improve its resale value much, if any; and certainly not the $600-$1200 you'll spend to add it.) The Pathfinder and QX4 LSD's (and entire drivetrain, for that matter) are identical, so you needn't worry about quality, durability, etc. You're paying extra for the "luxury badge" and the upgraded interior niceties and Inifiniti's customer service.

FWIW, if you do find that lack of traction is a frequent problem on the terrain you traverse, even in 4WD, the best (and only) option is to install a rear locking differential. Repost if you're serious about doing this.
  • bolucaboluca Pittsboro, NCPosts: 25
    He stated his QX4 has 2WD and not 4WD.
    In my opinion I would go with the LSD if you could find it for $500 or so. It wouldn't be worth $1000 to me. I have had it on performance vehicles before and on almost every 4WD vehicle I have owned. It should help on wet grass and sand but I wouldn't go in any deep sand with your vehicle.
    He stated his QX4 has 2WD and not 4WD.

OOPS! My bad! :blush:
  • finn1finn1 Posts: 1
    I have a 1993 Pathfinder. We just replaced the timming belt and set the timming. Ran well for about a week, then died. Opened it up again and found the belt had spun at the crank and lost all the teeth on the belt.
    Removed the right valve cover and saw the cam had broken in two pieces. Any idea what may have caused this? Got the seal and the first small section of the cam out, but cannot get the remaining section out. Is there something that holds the cam in?
    If the cam broke while the engine was running you'd better pull the head. It's probable valves have hit pistons.
    Pull both heads, for that matter. If the timing belt broke, all of the valves stopped moving in time with the pistons.
  • Can anybody tell me what type of center differential the new Pathfinder has?
    It doesn't have a centre diff. It uses a multiplate clutch when in "all mode". If the rear wheels slip the clutch plates are pressed together hydraulically and drive the front wheels. If you switch it into full time four wheel drive the front and rear axles are "locked" together through the transfer case.
  • tredntredn Posts: 2
    Had same annoying squeak. Have had Le model for almost 1 year. In shop 7 times just for this one squeak. I found my issue and let Nissan know.

About two inches in on either side of the top of the Rad is a 2 inch wide bracket holding it in place. These brackets each have 2 1/4inch high ribs. One from each side is rubbing directly against a plastic rivet that is under the hood holding in place a long strip of rubber in turn holding some spnge material to insulate or protect the front underside of the hood. I just place 2 small sponges over the brackets on the Rad and the squeaking went away.
  • i was just wondering who has the most mileage on a 2001 or newer pathfinder with an automatic tranny. my 01 SE has 65,600 miles automatic tranny