Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• xplorx4xplorx4 Posts: 621
    First, get recovery gear such as a tow strap and some D-ring shackles. Next, upgrade your tires. BFG AT or MT, Bridgestone Dueler AT or MT, Goodyear MTR are good choices.

Beyond that, you'll need to refine the direction you want to take your truck modifications.
  • gallengallen Posts: 4
    well i really dont know much bout 4x4's and off roading so i dont know wat i want but i know i like to go on trails and drive in the dirt alot
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Posts: 621
    Start with all-terrain tires and recovery gear, and maybe a portable 12v air compressor to "air up" your tires after 4-wheeling. (Search google for "why air down tires" and read about the advantages of deflating your tires to below 20psi for off-roading.)

As you gain more experience driving off-road, and you start to exceed your truck's capabilities, you'll get a better idea of what's needed. There are lots of 4x4 web sites and online forums that you can learn more information from by just googling around a bit.

Enjoy!
  • jcashjcash Posts: 6
    I bought This 1995 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4x4. I had it sitting for 1 Year . I put new brake pads. I ordered a Master Switch to see if the power windows start working because when i got The Computstar Alarm Installed The guy showed me they worked but they keep blowing a Fuse. Other than that . My Water Pump started leaking Antifreeze and now i paid $600 to get it replaced with a new one and the mechanic start he would have to rearrange the timming belt. I was wondering if anyone knows any information on Superlift suspension for the 1995 Nissan Pathfinder Se 4wd?
  • Have 1999 Nissan Pathfinder SE so far have replaced transmission, Crank shaft pulley, Idler pulley, Battery, Alternator, Spark plugs, Air filter, Fuel filter. Now this isn't all at once the most recent was I admit I am one that likes to see the orange fuel light come on then drive another 50 miles. Well long story short car wouldn't start put more gas after jump would start had to tow home. Since changed battery then would start but would die after short distance (down block). Start with simple stuff checked fuses changed spark plugs first time in 128,000 changed air filter, fuel filter now code is reading faulty fuel temperature sensor does anyone know where this is located. Also the pathy smells of gas everytime try & start it. Lines checked should I just drop the fuel pump and change it or what route??? Help I learned my lesson!! Also any ecu information would be wonderful. Mama gotta get to work!
    I have the 1995 Nissan Pathfinder Se 4wd It was continously overheating and leaking antifreeze. Come to find out its the water Pump i paid $715 to get the water Pump replaced along with the timming belt .. And to take the Crank Shaft Pulley Replaced aswell. All new belts were inserted the mechanic states that i drove the car so much while it was overheating i burnt one of the Cylinders. So its a V5 not V6 can this be true because ever since the water pump was changed its not in correct timming and the car idles funny all day.
  • I have a 98 Pathfinder, I cant figure out why sometimes its shakes side to side when Im driving, could it be the shocks? or the suspension itself? :(
    You might want to check the motor Mounts . Their Cheap at Autozone. If the Problem continues Shocks
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Posts: 1,015
    Actually, if you read back in the posts on this forum you will find it's probably the rear suspension bushings. It's a common problem with older Pathfinders. As those posts say, you could replace just the bushings, but the labour would probably make it better to just replace the arms, bushings and all. Unless you want to go to Urethane bushings - then just replace the stock bushings with new Urethane ones.
  • phalanxphalanx Posts: 5
    Im planning to replace the timing belt (kit)Idler,belt,2ea seals,2ea hoses,thermostat & water pump. My question is the harmonic balancer. The manual shows a chain strap wrench to hold balancer, I can't find this wrench at any auto shops/stores in my county. What would you recommend other than this?
    Thank you for your time.
    Chris
    yea i would go to www.ebay.com
    or do a search on google.com because if your doing the work yourself youll be saving about $700 in labor
    I have, not a reply from any of them as of yet,guess I'll have to use a block of wood for a wedge. :surprise:
  • tjfilitjfili Posts: 3
    I'm considering the purchase of an '01 PF LE with 108k miles on the odometer. The sale price is $10,450. The KBB value places it b/w $11-14,500k based on condition.

Does anyone on the board have a high mileage 2001 PF? Any issues to ask the dealer about to see if they've been noted?

With that many miles on it should I steer clear?

Thanks in advance.
    tj
  • shark715shark715 Posts: 380
    108k miles is not an issue at all if the car has been maintained by the book, but how can you really know if that has been done? Based on a lot of experience, I would not trust ANYTHING a car dealer tells me. My truck has 103K. Probably the most prevelant issue with this truck from what I've seen here is the intake valve timing sensors. They seem to last 40-70K miles each (there are two, one for each engine bank), and they cost roughly $250 to replace (parts and labor). The replacements seem to last about the same length of time, too. Also there was a TSB regarding an upgrade to the engine software which Nissan would do on vehicles still under emissions warranty (80K miles I beleive). Without the upgrade, the computer tends to turn on the Check Engine Light prematurely. Because my truck had 90k miles, the dealer charged me $300 to upgrade the software. What a ripoff, if the software from the factory was deficient when the truck was new, Nissan should pay for it irrespective of mileage. Once again, good luck asking the dealer to prove that this upgrade was done...how do you really know?
  • tjfilitjfili Posts: 3
    Thanks for the insight Shark...I'm happy to hear that a PF with that amount of mileage on it is not a money pit on wheels. BUT, like you said, w/o those upgrades and if there was a lapse in maintenance it could be. Is there a checklist anywhere that you (or anyone else) knows of for a high mileage PF to see if all systems are working as they should? I guess Nissan service techs have one but what about for the rest of us...
    I don't think it would be much different than the checks you would make for any other used vehicle. If you have a mechanic that you trust, how about paying him for 2-3 hours labor to through the car and check all the systems (engine mechanical, trans, front and rear axles, suspension, brakes, stored computer codes, exhaust, emissions, cooling, electrical, etc.). He might find relatively minor issues that you might use to negotiate the price down, and the net cost of the mechanic might be zero or less. How about asking the dealer for the checklist they use when they are certifying a late model used vehicle?
    This pathfinder is taking me to the Drain , i have it less than 5 months now i just changed the brake master cyclinder pump, Previous to that was the fuel pump . Calipers Rotors, Brake Pads, Fuel Pump, Water Pump , Timming Belt. POwer Window switch , What else can go wrong with this car!!!! I AM ALSO LOOKING FOR SUPER LIFT SUSPENSION!!!!
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Posts: 1,015
    What goes? Well, O2 sensors (there are four), the above mentioned cam timing sensors (there are two, you can see them on the front of the heads), and ignition coils (6), though not too many have complained about them on Pathfinders - Maximas are another matter. The 2001 was the first year for the VQ engine in the Pathfinder, though it was used for a few years earlier in the Infinity. So "first year problems" didn't really materialize.

So far that's about all the "common problems". If you are a little handy, I suspect you could change the O2 sensors if they go, and even the cam timing sensors - I haven't looked really closely at them, but there are only two bolts holding them into the head. Unless there is some wild clip inside they should be just unbolt and replace.

As far as telling what is wrong, that is another matter entirely. You need an OBDII reader or the Nissan system. Nobody can afford the Nissan system (even if they would sell it to consumers - which they don't). I tried an OBDII reader and it worked fine. It costs around $200. Without one you will have to rely on the dealer to troubleshoot the vehicle. Most charge around $50 to plug into the system and read the trouble code. Only after the "check engine light" comes on, of course. I'm told in the US "Autozone" will check it free for you.

Make sure the auto. trans. has been flushed and new auto trans. oil put in. The transfer case (if 4WD) and both diffs. should have an oil change. Make sure the coolant has been replaced - look inside the cooling system at an aluminum surface if you can for corrosion. It's an all aluminum engine and the coolant should be replaced every two years. Ditto for the brake fluid - I mean replaced, not just "topped up". Look for leaks on the power steering rack - it's an expensive replacement-only if it's leaking. I'd insist they change the spark plugs before I bought it - they can seize into the head if not removed every 40,000 mi or so - and they last a long time so they may not have been removed! If they seize it can be expensive to get them replaced.

Mine (2001 LE) and most others have been very reliable so far (I've only got 75,000 km - about 45,000 mi. on mine). I just got back from a long trip on 4 lane highway and 2 lane mountain backroads, and I keep being amazed at how well this vehicle works! With gas prices rising at nose-bleed rates I'm also happy - best tank this trip 11 l/100km and worst 13.5 l/100km - amazing for a two metric tonne vehicle!
  • lou_999lou_999 Posts: 2
    I have an 01 SE with 161,000km (100,000mi). So far it has been pretty good. The only problems I have experienced have been fairly minor (1 cam sensor, 1 ignition coil) and the ever present 02 sensor check engine light. I have ignored O2 thing for the past 20,000km and the vehicle seems to run okay. THe dealer wants $400 bucks to fix so one of these days I will get around to doing it myself. The only other annoyances are the drivers side step rail rusted thru -Nissan wouldn't cover this under body corrosion warranty because they consider the factory supplied rails to be accessories :( . THe cd player has just jammed (ER2) so I will have to fix that soon. Overall I can't complain since by girlfriends 03 Liberty has had more problems and it only has 45,000km.
    Ok i thought i fixed everything . I not liking this pathfinder Let me add the List again! i have it less than 5 months now i just changed the brake master cyclinder pump, Previous to that was the fuel pump . Calipers Rotors, Brake Pads, Fuel Pump, Water Pump , Timming Belt. POwer Window switch , What else can go wrong with this car!!!! """""THE RADIATOR HAS 10 PIN HOLES THAT LEAK '''' SO I WENT OUT TO AUTOZONE AND BOUGHT A NEW ONE.

I HAVE A QUESTION I HAD MY WATER PUMP CHANGED THE MECHANIC SAID ITS CONNECTED TO THE TIMMING BELT! SO HE HAD TO DO THE TIMMING OVER. NOW THE ENGINE SHAKES AND IDLES VERY WEIRD NOT TO ADD THAT HE SAID I DROVE THE CAR TO LONG WITH A LEAK COMMING OUT THE WATER PUMPED SO I BURNED ONE OF THE CYLINDER PISTONS . SO MY 1995 NISSAN PATHFINDER SE IS NO LONGER A V6 ITS A V5 5 CYLINDERS WORKING IS THIS POSSIBLE?
  • millarmillar Posts: 17
    Does anyone know whether two infant car seats and one child car seat will all fit on the second row of seats?

If not, has anyone had two infant car seats in the second row with the child car seat in the third row? If so, is the second row able to be tilted forward without having to disconnect the infant seat/tether?

Many thanks.
  • rwrsrrwrsr Posts: 4
    Does anyone know why there is no privacy shade for hiding packages in the rear of the '06 PF? Is there a place to buy an aftermarket shade? Thanks.
  • nissan17nissan17 Posts: 1
    The dealer told me it was because of the third row seats. When the 3rd row is up there is only a small section behind. It doesn't make sense to me either because I usually always have the 3rd row flat for storage area. I also noticed that are fixtures in the rear that look like they are for attaching a sliding shade like the old pathfinder which doesn't make sense. I searched for aftermarket and oem ones for 05-06 pathfinders but couldn't find anything. I really miss that option.
  • rwrsrrwrsr Posts: 4
    Thanks Nissan17. I guess we will just have to throw a blanket over the items in the back and hope for the best.
  • levy76levy76 Posts: 8
    Hey. Have you recieved any responses to this? I am having the same problem(s).
    This was more than a year ago...I don't recall receiving any responses on this forum. It was my intention to write Nissan a letter demanding a refund, but I have to admit I never got around to doing so. On the other hand, there is no reason I can't write the letter now. I'd love to find someone for whom Nissan agreed to pay for this upgrade after the emissions warranty expired...obviously it would make my case stronger. What is your situation? Has your dealer already reprogrammed your computer?
  • brown3brown3 Posts: 26
    Just bought an '06 Pathfinder LE 4x4, and upon reading the manual I found out it has an "event data recorder" which records how the vehicle has been driven - something that could potentially be subpoenaed by law enforcement.

I'm a good driver - no tickets or at-fault collisions in over 30 years - but I really don't like the idea of a "Big Brother" type black box keeping constant tabs on me.

Any ideas on where the box is located or how to go about disconnecting it?
  • brown3brown3 Posts: 26
    I have an '06 LE 4x4, and I know what you mean - I used it quite a bit on my '93 Explorer.

If you look inside the vehicle on either side just behind the 2nd row seats, you'll see a couple of plastic plugs just below window level covering niches that look like they're in EXACTLY the place the privacy shade ought to be anchored. Combined with the notch on the right and and serpentine groove on the left you see just inside the rear hatch, I'd say they originally planned to include a retractable privacy shade, but some Nissan bean-counter deleted it to save a few bucks. :(

The guy at the dealer's parts counter searched his database for me . . . he said it was called a "tonneau cover" but it apparently didn't exist.

I'm going to see if I can adapt an ordinary retractable spring-loaded window shade . . . if I can find a suitable shade in an acceptable color, fabricating the rest doesn't look too hard.

I wish the 3rd row seat was optional . . . I just keep it folded and use the back for cargo, same as nissan17 . . .
    what year is this,se? 3.3 or 3.5?
    damn was this a lease vehicle?