Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• brisoupbrisoup Posts: 43
    Hi,
    I have a 2002 LE. I was thinking about installing a K&N airfilter mainly to improve fuel milage (I'm satisfied with the trucks overall acceleration). Has anyone installed a K&N filter on the 2001+ Pathfinder?Has there been any noticeable increase in fuel milege? Any input would be helpful. BTW- I've been getting 13.5 MPG city & 17.8 MPG HWY.
  • pfwunpfwun Posts: 9
    Hi everyone,
    Almost didn't make it to work the last 3 mornings. I have a problem starting my car. Put key in ignition. Turn, and the engine does nothing but after 5 secs it fights to start. After 7 secs it eventually kicks in and starts. After I drive it to work I test it out again and it starts up nice and smooth. As if I just bought it off the lot. Forgot to mention that the dashboard, dome, radio, and headlights are in working order before I actually turn the ignition on.
    Problem only occurs when the car sits for a long period of time. Only two things come to mind. The battery and the starter. I found the warranty limitations on the battery but I was curious if the starter is covered? I called many dealerships in the md area to set up an appointment and they are booked till next week. Just want to ask you all for advice before the dealerships pull one on me. Is the starter covered under warranty? Anything I can do in the meantime before I see the mechanic? Thank You all for your help.

chris

2001 pathfinder LE
    34,000 miles
    1 year and 6 months
  • bigorange30bigorange30 Posts: 1,091
    I installed one last month in my QX4. Here is what I posted on the K&N Filter thread and the responses I got.

bigorange30 "K&N Air Filters, bolt-on power?" Jul 25, 2002 10:26am
  • pdown77pdown77 Posts: 6
    I am considering buying 1999 4wd PF LE, price 18,999.00 I feel a vibration coming from the steering wheel. I have been reading the comments at this site and was wondering if this is an isolated problem or more owners have had the same problem? I don't know if I could live with the content shimmy. I would like to feel the problem could be fix and done with.
  • couimetcouimet Posts: 130
    It is a frequent problem that can be fixed with proper balancing. In three years, I never experienced with my 2000 SE ...
  • cubster1cubster1 Posts: 11
    I need some help from the old school crowd. Is the 01-03 motor really worth the hype? My wife and I are looking at buying a Pathy but can't afford the newer models. We like the 96-99.5 body style fine but everyone I talk to says they're way underpowered. I only tow a trailer for furniture and the Home Depot runs on the weekends, so is it worth the extra money? Thanks for the help.
  • brisoupbrisoup Posts: 43
    After reading the post on the K&N airfilter I've decided to leave the original filter on. The very minimal increase in fuel milage does not justify buying a $45.00 airfilter. When it comes time to replace the airfilter I will buy a high quality over the counter airfilter. Thanks for your advice..
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Posts: 621
    That's a choice you should make. No one can tell you how satisfied you would be driving the 3.3L compared to the 3.5L. The 3.3L tows just fine. I've used it to tow a u-haul trailer for moving and for towing my boat just fine. Sure, it's not a rocket, but it does the job.

My advice to you would be to test drive a new one, then test drive an old one and make your evaluation based on your personal experience. It's your money after all.
  • smithmdsmithmd Posts: 167
    I'm with xplorx4 on this one. I tow a 4,500 lb boat with my 3.3L with no problems. I just have to take my time, lock out overdrive, and keep the motor under 3500 RPMs (that's more for comfort sake than anything else). I'm running about 65 mph at that speed.

I will say this, though. If you can't afford the newer model, then don't drive the newer model. Why torture yourself like that? If you can find a 3.3L that you'll be happy with, get it.

Personally, I plan to drive my 99.5 into the ground. I've got 52,000 trouble free miles, so I've got a long way to go.
  • jflashjflash Posts: 45
    If you can't afford the late-model 3.5, then the question is moot. Assuming that you are actually trying to decide, then by all means you should drive both and compare for yourself. I have owned each. Though my 3.3 was rock-solid and a fine engine, I felt that the truck was just grunt-slow. Of course, I'm an old hot-rodder from way back and just am not satisfied with a vehicle that can't get to 60 mph in under 10 seconds. I absolutely love my 2002 SE 3.5. It has great acceleration and towing power and is simply in another league from the 3.3.
  • I went out to get something at the store just now, and putting my
    Pathfinder into reverse to pull out of the driveway....

Foot on brake.. Parking Break released, depress button pull into reverse.

I wait a second, I feel it 'engage' into reverse by a loud noise and a THUMP
    by the car...

I don't think that's normal, eh?

It has 2600 miles on it.....
  • Pdown77-

I wouldn't buy it unless and until the seller fixes it. The seller may have tried to fix it and couldn't, that's why it's for sale now. Who tries to sell a vehicle that's shaking like a leaf without trying to remedy the problem?

Based upon the commentaries I've read, some folks have an easy time ridding themselves of the shimmy, others try everything to no avail. Why run the risk of a chronic vibration in your new (to you) Pathfinder?
  • I sometimes have that happen too. Very intermittently. Maybe when the engine is idling real fast , the transmission then engages and it makes kind of a lurch? Doesn't happen enough to bother me but I make sure my foot is firmly on the brake when I shift.

Happy Pathfinding!!!

Steve
  • smithmdsmithmd Posts: 167
    I have a PDF copy of the Nissan service bulletin pertaining to the shimmy. If you want a copy, e-mail me at smithmdsmith@yahoo.com and I'll be happy to reply with a copy.

My shimmy appeared on my '99.5 4x4 with about 18k miles. Nissan service went through the TSB and finally fixed my shimmy with the fancy balance machine mentioned in the bulletin.

The shimmy returned when I bought new tires at about 25k miles and was easily remedied with the same balance machine.

At 52k, the shimmy has not returned. I'm sure that when I replace these tires in 10 or 15k, I'll have to have them balanced on that same machine.
  • tloke1tloke1 Posts: 185
    QUOTE - "The Pathfinder will probably never be in the shop. Extended warranties are more useful and much less reliable vehicles like the Jeep Grand Cherokee..." - BigOrange30

BO30, HOW can you possibly make such a ridiculous and unfounded claim that "The Pathfinder will probably never be in the shop"?? (and that Jeeps "will"). You obviously have not read through any the posts in this forum to see that the Pathfinder does indeed have plenty of problems. If you need me to make a list of them I'd be glad to do that. Your own vehicle has already been in the shop, what, twice now? And you also know about the long list of TSB's for prior model Pathfinders. So since YOU bought the 2002 PF, NOW all of a sudden they will be 100.00% reliable?

*IF* Nissan HAD the confidence in their products, they would offer a FREE extended warranty, just like Jeep does for their new models (7 Years/100K!!). But Nissan KNOWS that their Pathfinders WILL be in the repair shop in the future, hence the $1000+ charge for the extended warranty.

While the PF is a reasonably reliable vehicle and no doubt many will not see a shop for some years to come, on the other side there will be plenty that will indeed be in the shop in the future, that you can count on.
  • bigorange30bigorange30 Posts: 1,091
    Basic warranties are mainly for something that may be well designed but may not have been put together properly in the factory that made the part or the factory that assembled the car. The problems will likely happen once and be fixed permanently one time. An extended warranty, on the other hand, is for protecting you against poor designs that repeatedly fail. A person often sells this vehicle before the warranty runs out because they know there will be signicant problems later.

While no vehicle is problem free, the Pathfinder or QX4 will not be in the shop for $1000 worth of repairs during its first 100,000 miles that would justify the extended warranty. What do other people think?

Yes, my QX4 has been back once to replace the door welts. They were probably put on wrong at the factory. That was a very minor problem, IMO. It does not involve any moving or critical part.
  • nissangirlnissangirl Posts: 186
    I have noticed that several Nissan Dealerships have already received the '03 models, but there are no pictures available. Are they hiding these vehicles? Does any one know where I can see a picture of the '03 with possibly the new colors?
  • jecklesjeckles Posts: 87
    Most extended warranties for appliances and cars alike are intended to make money for dealers not protect owners from financial disaster.

There are some vehicles that need them, but most don't. Check out consumer reports....not this board for the truth about extended warranties and long term reliability...
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Posts: 621
    I purchased an extended warranty for my truck. What a waste of money. Naturally, I failed to read the fine print on the back of the warranty form when I bought it; I just "trusted" the dealer.

Lo and behold, when I attempted to take advantage of the warranty when the struts on my truck started leaking at 50,000 miles, I was told that the warranty doesn't cover that. It only covers the struts if they "snapped in half". HA! What a crock!

A couple of months ago, my "check engine" light came on. Turns out the "EVAP canister" was bad. Covered? NOPE. It's a "wear item", just like brakes, spark plugs, and oil filters, I guess.

As for the need for an extended warranty, I'd probably never buy another one. Nearly all warranty-covered repairs are going to occur within the basic (3/36; 5/60) coverage anyway.

And I'd have to say that beyond the standard warranties, the likelihood of a $1000 repair occuring will be very small. And even if you could make a warranty claim on a repair that might normally cost $300, you'd need THREE such claims just to recover the cost of the warranty itself.

So if you DO get a warranty, make sure you read the entire document and FULLY UNDERSTAND the limitations before you commit.

Bottom line, I'd have to agree with jeckles and bigorange30.

NOTE: I can only offer experience with my Nissan; I'm not so certain that I would not need an extended warranty on a domestic vehicle. My truck will probably reach 100,000 miles next month, and I have yet to spend $1000 on unplanned maintenance that would be covered under any warranty (beyond the 3/36;5/60).
  • tloke1tloke1 Posts: 185
    I will certainly agree that for the most part extended warranties are a total rip-off. First of all, when you buy one of the extended warranties they don't even kick in until after the manufacturer's warranty ends - that could be 3-4 years or longer. And when you add the total to the total amount financed you are in many cases paying interest on the warranty cost as well. What many buyers don't realize is that for a lot of these extended warranties, IF you want one, you do NOT have to purchase it at the time you purchase your vehicle. Most dealers want you to think that, but in the past I have asked point-blank if I could pay for it "later" and the answer is usually "yes", as long as you by it before the factory warranty runs out.

And as xplorx4 noted, study the limitations if you feel you have to have an extended warranty. And even then you may run into hassles if the problem lies in a "gray" area. Plus, some warranties are transferable if you sell the vehicle while others are not.

And remember that dealers can be very negotiable on these since they are mostly pure profit. Usually the last person you see in the purchase process (in the "Finance/paperwork" office) is heavily commissioned and will twist your arm very hard to try and sell you one of these (along with undercoating and fabric guard "protection").