Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• Sounds like you need to open up a big ol' can of Burnt Cherry whup-[non-permissible content removed] to me! Parking in San Fran is crazy, but that justifies a killin' around here.

I had a similar thing happen (not to my Pathfinder) -- a rolling garbage can with a protruding bolt was squeezed between two parked vehicles and scratched it stem to stern.

A "touch up" will surely show, especially if it's down to bare metal and can't be rubbed out. You're probably looking at a re-paint of the whole side. This will easily cost a grand if done properly. I would think that insurance would cover acts of vandalism such as this and it SHOULDN'T affect your premium. Body shops all go by a standardized program for estimating hours needed for a repair, so there shouldn't be much variation in the estimates. Just make sure you pick the best shop(s) around to give you an estimate, including the Nissan dealership.

I'm sure you're sick to your stomach over this. The good news is that a good body shop can work wonders and you shouldn't be able to tell it had ever happened once it has been fixed. Expect the repair work to take about 3 days, and don't try to rush them!
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Bummer! That wouldn't make me very happy either.

No real way to tell if it was him or not, but go figure.

You might get the police to grill him on it considering the circumstances. You never know - the moron might slip up and reveal his guilt.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
  • Hi all,

While I'm on hold with my insurance agency (ug), I thought I'd pass along what I found on the key scratch problem... The body shops are telling me anywhere from $1500 to $1600 to repaint the driver's side front and rear doors, the rear quarter panel and the tailgate.

Oh, just got off with the insurance agent (don't go there)...it's covered under my comp ($500 deductable) as vandalism and will show up as a non-chargable claim...so, my rates shouldn't go up.

Thanks for all the help and sympathy...

Captain Ron. . .

PS: It's probably good I wasn't around to see who did this...I'm normally a peaceful man, but all bets would have been off.
  • couimetcouimet Posts: 130
    Bummer indeed ...
  • Another reason I always take Bart.

Anyway,

I would echo the statement by a previous poster. Give the police a call, this might not be the first time something like this has happened in the neighborhood. It may not help you, but it might be better for someone else down the road.
  • bgritzbgritz Posts: 139
    We get off into the UT backcountry (Needles/Maze) a few times/year and I was VERY pleasantly suprised at the Pathy's off-road ability. While it is substantially softer than out old Cherokee, it will do amazing things in 4L in 1st gear as long as you keep your speed down. We are going over Elephant Hill again in 6 weeks for our annual fall Canyonlands trip and can't wait to get back into the red-dirt. ;-)
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Posts: 621
    Cool! I'm planning on heading out there next April, for the 2nd annual goneMOAB (Gathering Of Nissan Enthusiasts). Even if we don't run a lot of the trails around there, it will be fun to watch the Jeepers during the Easter Jeep Safari (same time as goneMOAB).

Are you interested in showing up for that event? More info here.

• Does anyone know where I can purchase a chrome exhaust tip for a 2001 Pathfinder? I saw the picture in message #5409 by phil47 and it looked great. I checked with my local Nissan dealer in New Jersey to no avail. Also has anyone upgraded the speaker system in their pathy.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,971
    Check out the Accessories and the Mods boards in the Owners Club linked above too.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• sivi1sivi1 Posts: 82
    did nissan replace rotors under warranty. i had a 96 4runner and they took care of it. now have 02 le, just wondering.
  • His chrome exhaust tip was for the Infinity QX4 Platinum Edition. I think he got it from an Infinity dealer.
  • bgritzbgritz Posts: 139
    Don't know yet? I was out there 3&4 years ago for the EJS. I also lived in Durango CO, for college in the late 80's and got kinda used to UT as a place to go to get away from people.;-) Boy has Moab changed!! As much fun as the EJS is, it's a bit nutty. It would be cool to hook up w/other Nissan folks though even though I'm still runnin the Pathy almost stock. I'll have a better idea this spring.

To anyone who has never been to the Moab area or Easter Jeep Safari (EJS), it is amazing country, and I would whole-heartedly recommend it!
  • Thinking about getting a brush/grille guard for an '02 LE Bronzed Gray....but can't find any pics to see what it would look like anywhere. Any clue as to where I might go to view pics?
  • Does anyone know why they softened the springs on the 2002 le? I had 4 average size adults in it with a picnic basket in the back and it bottomed out on every bump. Only 4500 miles on the new Pathfinder and I am certainly not impressed by this problem. Same thing happened the other day with 4 guys and 4 sets of clubs in the back. One of the guys owns a 2000 and says this has never happened to him. Do I need a fix from Nissan or go to after market air bags in the springs for such a light everyday load?
    thanks for any help you can give me.
    mike
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Posts: 621
    The springs weren't softened just for your 2002 LE. The rear springs have been 'soft' since 1996. Virtually every 96+ Pathfinder owner who has towed a trailer/boat or hauled people/cargo around has had this problem.

The springs are designed to make the ride comfortable for empty/light loads. Otherwise your car-like Pathfinder smoothness would turn into pickup-truck harshness.

Carrying 4 adults plus stuff isn't particularly a light "everyday" load. It's occasional. More likely an "everyday" load is driver + kids (which is far lighter). 4 adults plus stuff weigh in at at least 500 pounds, probably closer to 700. The guy with the 2000 will likely have the same issue, but he probably hasn't carried the same load as you over the same roads...

Anyway, the solution is air springs. More info here.

• crikeycrikey Posts: 1,038
    This also happens on my 2001 Pathfinder LE, so not sure if the spring change happened then. One thing is for sure, though, it is really jarring when that backend bottoms out.
  • FYI... for those of us in the US that want to obtain one of these beauties, your US dealer won't be able to find it. I just ordered one from a dealer in Canada and it was no big deal, even had them in stock. Cheap too, converted it was 56 bucks delivered.
  • Hey SIVI1, the rotors were replaced on my 2001 warranty free of charge, no questions asked. I'm about to have them replaced again for the same problem...
  • li_sailorli_sailor Posts: 1,081
    Hi folks,

I posted this a week or two back and got no reply so I thought a second try might help.

I need a replacement for one of my rear seatbelts...our dog chewed almost completely through it. I know I could get it from my Nissan dealer, but I was looking for an alternative and I plan to do it myself. Anyone know of a source? I have tried every parts/accessories web site I know of with no luck.

thanks,
    Tom
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,971
    There may be some liability issues with non-OEM parts or owner installed OEM "safety" parts that deters web sales. Salvage yard seat belts would be suspect since they may have "taken a load" in the accident that sent the Pathy to the wrecking yard. Or maybe there's so little call for them they aren't regularly stocked?

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.