Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• gottriagottria Posts: 13
    With reguards to the leather seats, make sure they are the Nissan leather seats. The Nissan Leather seats also have the Side Air Bag protection. Fremont Nissan had a couple of SE with leather and they were not the same seats as
    you would get in the LE.
    Also with reguards to the wood trim on the dash, I wasn't to happy with it either but then after seeing a LE, yes a LE, with no wood trim, the dash is to black. Everything was black and it didn't look right in my eyes.

Also don't forget you you can get a limited slip diff with the LE vs the SE. Why I don't know, I also wanted the Limited slip very bad is the SE but my dealer could not locate one in the US. Anybody have SE with a limited slip?
  • li_sailorli_sailor Posts: 1,081
    I have this question, too. Why would AWD benefit from LSD? I thought AWD was, in effect, LSD between all 4 wheels. In order for LSD to do something, wouldn't AWD have to suffer from the 'lift up the right rear wheel and it spins while you go nowhere' problem? Anyone know the answer?
  • I have a SE w/ LSD and leather seats. The leather seats are factory w/ the side airbags. The production date on it is October 00.
  • meca2meca2 Posts: 284
    hi sailor: drew the host explained about AWD in post #384. If the right wheel was
    lifted the left would still provide traction on the rear axle,the front is not LSD.
    In AWD the transfer case transfers tork from the axle that is slipping and dirrects
    to the axle with more traction this works very well on packed snow and ice.
    Cheers...
  • drew_drew_ Posts: 3,382
    Steven's post above pretty much sums it up. All wheel drive is precisely what the name suggests. All wheels are powered - you get four drive wheels. An open differential, by design, sends power to the wheel with least resistance. So, if one wheel is up in the air or on a slippery surface, all of the power gets sent to that wheel instead of the opposite wheel with traction. You end up spinning one wheel and going no where. Limited slip differentials apply friction to the spinning wheel to slow it down to transfer power to the opposite wheel. However, it too is only "limited" and eventually will get stuck.

The ultimate is a locking differential since both wheels are physically locked together and have to spin at the same rate. But such a device requires driver training since it could have dire effects if left locked while you're trying to make a turn. Basically the vehicle won't turn and you'll end up going straight and hitting something, or even worse, falling off the side of an embankment.

Other manufacturers, starting with Mercedes-Benz in their M-class, have started using four wheel traction control to intermittently brake the spinning wheel. This provides artificial resistance and fools the open differential into thinking that both wheels are spinning at about the same rate. So in effect, the 4ETS is sort of like a pseudo locking differential and the vehicle may be able to move even if only one wheel out of the four has traction. The main advantages are much less complexity and a significant reduction of unsprung weight (virtually no mechnical parts). The disadvantages are that some power is lost since the brakes turn the energy to heat, and on continously loose surfaces (like deep sand), the system may keep cutting in causing your vehicle to lose momentum. Locking differentials still give you 100% of the power.

Hope this explains things!

Drew
    Host
    Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • phil47phil47 Posts: 394
    Thanks for the tip on the owners club. I think that's exactly what I had in mind.

As an insider, how have the club discussions been affecting traffic on the main topics (ie. do they tend to replace the main topic)? Any suggestions on a few topics to start it up that would attract interest (I'm thinking Performance Mods, Options and Accessories, and Problems)? What is the commitment to be a host? Thanks.
    You can expect a lot of the traffic (especially from the regulars) to be moved to the Owner's club area, but the previous topic, meaning this one, will probably still be moving on a daily basis. For example, even the Subaru Legacy sedan and wagon topics, as well as the Subaru Forester SUV topics are still being used. Most Townhall newbies will most likely find this topic first, and the regulars will then redirect them to the club topics after a while.

As I understand, two members will have to volunteer to be leaders of the club area. For example, juice and Mike are the Subaru Crew chiefs of the Subaru topics, and Mike (paisan) and someone else are the Isuzu spokespersons (that's how they like to call it ) for the Isuzu Trooper topic. If you are interesting (which I think many of you are), I suggest that you, Phil, contact the host of the Owner's club area, Karen, for more details and let the others here know what is involved. That way Karen won't get blasted with multiple e-mails asking the same thing.

Best of luck!

Drew
    Host
  • mdq_ntvmdq_ntv Posts: 11
    I have a couple of questions...

Does the rear wind deflector serves any purpose or it's just for looks? and, is everybody happy w/the 01'colors?

Thanks in advance.
  • goose1207goose1207 Posts: 113
    MDQ_NTV:
    The rear wind deflector keeps dirt and dust from accumulating on the back hatch and rear window. It is supposed to make a difference in keeping the back clean.

I love my silver color.
  • simba6simba6 Posts: 3
    I need to know the best price for 2001 SE 4WD 5 speed manual, with a sunroof and bose system, i can't go to Canada, but definitely can drive down from anywhere in Colorado where I live...any good dealers around.I was offered 29,000 + taxes for the same at Col Springs, but I am still wanting for a fair price and deal.

cheers'
    a PF fan!
  • mbuntingmbunting Posts: 158
    Fellas...I purchased my 2001 Sierra Silver LE AWD on Saturday from Tischer Nissan in Laurel, MD --- as planned previously. $31,000 + TTL , no tricks or shaky sales tactics from my salesman, Rich Belliveau either. He was JUST great! AND SO IS THE VEHICLE!

And, I'm happy to report that THE SHIMMY has NOT been felt (as of yet anyway). It had just 4 miles on it when I took delivery on Saturday afternoon (now has 700 after my trip to Indianapolis today), I have been very careful with it so far and have been trying my best not to break any of the "break-in period" reccomendations. So far so good!

I love this vehicle...those heated seats really came in handy this morning also!!! I didn't want to stop driving it, that's how much I love it!

Thanks for all your help...now back to enjoying my vacation for the next couple weeks in my new LE!

Mike
    Friends:
    Can anyone suggest me, out of the two which one should one go for! considering the price / resale, horse power and overall quality!

:-)
  • tonychrystonychrys Posts: 1,310
    Welcome to my world.

My choice has come down to both the PF LE AWD and the JGC Limited V8. The only advice I will give you is this:

1. Test drive both the same day within an hour of each. That's what the wife and I did, and that's the only way you will really appreciate the differences.

2. As to precise, tight handling and good "road-feedback" the PF LE is the hands down winner. You don't even feel it sway when taking a curve.

3. As to comfortable ride and soaking up the bumps, the JGCL wins.

4. As to reliabilty, PF is hands down winner (we have a leased '97 PF SE and have never had a problem).

5. As to luxury appointments, creature comfort and cabin design, JGCL is the winner. Dual-climate control, trip computer, and vehicle programmabilty start the list off. 10-way power seats with memory for BOTH the seats and mirrors linked to the key-fobs.

6. Speed: it's a toss up. PF has the very repsonsive 240hp V6, it kicks butt. The JGCL has the 235hp V8 with 295(!) lbs of torque. It's fast too and can tow more.

7. Hardcore off-road: Do I even have to say it? Quadra-drive goes beyond the PF's auto 4WD.

8. Styling: they are both some of the better looking SUVs out there.

9. Price: The PF LE *was* the winner until recently. Jeep is offering agressive incentives, you can now get a $37,700 MSRP vehicle (a loaded JGCL with V8) for about 32,300 if you are agressive. That's right, almost $6000 off list, $2000 below invoice, with more features than the PF LE. Yes you can still get a PF LE a little cheaper.

Our choice: We're going for the luxury appointments. I do a lot of mileage and my tastes are changing in my old age (40 this April).

Don't get me wrong PF folks, the new PF kicks butt and is the better handling vehicle. But Jeep just made it too tempting for us with all the incentives. We would have bought the PF if it hadn't been for the Jeep price reductions.

Hope this helps in your comparison, but it doesn't matter what I say, it's really up to you to make a list of things that are important to you and then drive both for yourself. Make sure you tell each dealer that you are considering the other car and watch their reaction.

TC

P.S. If you want a SUV that's handling is in between the JGCL and PF LE, go drive a Lexus RX300. Very smooth. And another vehicle we were considering.
    What happened to your quest for safety? :-) From the Pathfinder to the RX300 to the ML320 and now to the JGC? Wow! You've been busy. I'm posting this at the risk of offending you if you've already bought the vehicle.

I admit that the pricing is attractive here too (no general sales tax + $500 off at least, and for those who care, 0% financing for a period). Since safety is a top priority for me though, the JGC (last time I checked, it lacked even side impact airbags) is out because of its poor - for my standards - NHTSA and IIHS crash test performances. Rear legroom is also seriously lacking, and what is with the weird rear bench seat design for the middle position?

As for Quadradrive, yes, it works as advertised. However, for technical reasons that I don't really want to get into unless someone asks, the components have to be large and heavy to withstand the stress, so that adds to unsprung weight and a reduction in handling. I found it interesting that you thought that the JGC was more comfortable than the Pathfinder. I found the opposite to be true. With its solid axles, the entire vehicle (JGC) is really succeptible to bump steer; the shock on one side is transmitted to the other because of the non-independent suspension setup. This is extremely noticable on rough, undulating pavement and results in a rocking motion. A friend of mine with a '00 JGC Laredo immediately noticed the far superior ride and handling while sitting in my ML (I was only going 35 km/hr at the time, out of the parking lot!).

To add to the above, Jeep GCs haven't particularly been very reliable either. See Edmunds' long term '99 JGC Limited V8 and you'll understand.

Best of luck!

Drew
    Host
    Thanks everyone for their detailed inputs,
    I agree in the end what matters is the relaibility since this will be my first vehicle and i intend to keep it for a long while, but the bad thing here is the car dealers, i was treated very badly at *Academy Nissan* in Col Springs, since i am new to the country they asked me to bring a co-signer to qualify for a 3.9% APR, which I did, after verifying his credentials, they agreed and asked me to get some cash down, which I got. In the end when last of the papers had to be signed they told me 3.9% is not possible but we could still give you a "premium rate".
    How can anyone justify that, and is there a forum for putting such complaints, this was a really bad experience for me which I can never forget, and only complain!
    Can anyone suggest me a fair dealer in Colorado!

:-(
  • meca2meca2 Posts: 284
    Tonychrys: Didn't Chysler quit making Jeeps after 18 years??
    Sorry.....
  • li_sailorli_sailor Posts: 1,081
    Drew...thanks for the reply. I understand what you said (I think), my question is really what 'slippage transfer' the PF LE's AWD has vs LSD. This is very important to me since I may be buying (hopefully) next week.

I realize that this is not a subaru, but, to quote their slogan, 'from the wheels that slip to the wheels that grip', does this mean that, without the LSD option, PF's AWD does not transfer from the slipping wheel? just the slipping axle? (i.e., front to rear but not laft to right?). Aspenwhite gave us a link to MSN for a 4WD desc and in it is this: "Vehicles with all-wheel drive use a differential;or viscous coupling or clutch pack, depending on the vehicle's engineering;to maximize traction when needed. As wheels begin to slip in these vehicles, more and more power is automatically directed to the wheels where there is no slippage." So...is that it? PF's AWD only transfers between front and rear and only if you get LSD will you get left/right transfer (rear only)?

Also...when I switch from auto or 2WD to 4WD (hi or lo) on the PF LE am I not then getting a locking differential?

Sorry to belabor this point but I want to know what to choose.

thanks
  • Hi all,

I saw the post on the deflector, but does it really help? As I was driving to work today and my rear window was encrusted in dirt/grime, I realized maybe if it does SIGNIFICANTLY help, then I might invest. Where is the best place to get one, are there more than one type to install... I have a '01 LE Black.

Thanks!
  • i can say that the rear window deflector truely works. it's great in snow. a flake of snow never stays on the rear window. and dirt and grime also. the most dirt and grime i get is from the slushy road splash. it's easy to see where the wind is directed and where it keeps the window clean. with the combination of the rear window wiper, the back window is always clean.

-kj

(the rear window wiper alone would not do the trick, i would rather have the deflector alone rather than the wiper alone)
  • bgritzbgritz Posts: 139
    Thanks, I re-read the manual this weekend and found the section you were talking about. to be exact it says:

"...you should use at least 91 AKI (Anti-Knock Index) number (VQ35DE engine)...However, you may use use unleaded gasoline with an octane rating as low as 85 AKI (Anti-Knock Index) number in these high altitude areas [over 4,000 ft (1,219m)] such as:Colorado, Montana, New Mexico, Utah, Wyoming, northeastern Nevada, southern Idaho, western South Dakota, western Nebraska, and that part of Texas which is directly south of New Mexico." page 10-5

I filled up w/87 octane on Saturday night, then drove it up I-70 to Copper yesterday with three adults and gear, and it ran like a champ! I will keep an eye on the mpg to see if that changes much w/the lower octane.

almost 16.5k
    ave mpg 18.5 w/K&N filter (5spd)
    lovin' every smooth minute of it!!

Rear Deflector-there a big difference our rear window now ('01 SE) with the deflector and our old Cherokee w/o a deflector. Much more dirt /grime on the Cherokee window.

Shady Dealers-the whole low finace rate bait and switch is a tried and true method to get you in the door and into a car, then to call you back later asking for more money. I believe it's best to have financing set up before you walk in that door. Try your bank, Credit Union, or even online (eloan.com) good luck