Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• califjohncalifjohn Posts: 101
    to replace it. This is in a 2000 PF by the way. Is there a cheaper way to get a new ignition key or are we stuck with the dealer's high cost? I think is some of the other vehicles there is a way to program the key by using the onboard computer some way but I would welcome any advice!
  • pathstarpathstar Posts: 201
    I presume you are talking of the key with the chip in it. I'm told the key costs around $70 US. The dealer then has to reprogram the truck to accept the new key (erasing the old keys if I remember correctly). He then adds back the old key you still have. This should take less than an hour ($70 or so US?). I'd check around with other dealers. He sounds too high.

To do this the dealer has to use the Nissan equipment. It can not be done any other way (according to the "Electronic Service Manual").
    for the quick response. I guess there is no other option but to use the dealer. You are correct in that other keys must be changed as well since a new code is installed in the chip (I guess). The $240 was the low quote, the other dealer I checked was higher. I suppose I could check the Infiniti dealers too since they probably have the same equipment but I doubt they would be cheaper. I'm sure it would be a nicer waiting room tho'.
  • phil47phil47 Posts: 394
    With only 25,000 km on my 2001 LE, I can already feel the warped rotors. It is not obvious on hard braking, only on light brake pressure at slow speeds (ie. when rolling to a stop at a light, etc.). I've been thinking of getting aftermarket rotors to replace the stockers. I believe Stillen makes a set for this truck which are higher quality materials and are slotted. Any thoughts? Experiences?
    Is my face red! It was not $240 for a programmed key fron Nissan it was only $140. I still think its too high. Sorry for the mistake and thanks for the info!
  • Okay its been 2 months since a multitude of you said you were bringing in your Pathfinder to have your temperature gauge fixed as stated in the TSB for it. I haven't seen any responses from those who had it done as to whether it was fixed or not.

For those that had this done, can you please let us know if the high temperature reading was resolved?

Thanks!
  • Here's a couple of questions for PF owners out there:

1. Does the 3.5L V6 actually require 91 octane fuel?

2. If you select the VDC option, where is the tire pressure monitor? Is it on the compass display?

3. Is it true that you cannot operate the vehicle above 50 mph while it's in the AUTO mode on the 4x4 knob?

4. Is the fuel economy really 15 miles per gallon?

Thanks!
  • Hello

Here are some answers to your questions;

1)Nissan suggests 91 but only suggests.... you can use 87 but some people here mention that the truck will not perform as great and that it might make the MPG worst offsetting any savings.

2)No, there is a small indicator in the dash (grouped with the other indicators such as parking break, etc) that will light up only if the pressure of one tire is below 25 psi.

3)No. Some people here complain about a noise when you do so but I have done 75mph in Auto with no problem whatsoever in my 03 LE. It is not very fuel efficient to do so.....

4)More like 10..... Joke aside the Pathfinder is very bad on fuel mainly in the cold winter days. If MPG is in your top 3 priorities for your new car\truck choose something else.....

I took delivery of my 03 LE in late october. I am very statisfied so far, no problems except a very minor problem with radio reception. The truck seems well built and dependable. VDC is great mainly in winter. The only drawback with this truck is fuel consumption (dreadful) but I'm looking forward to see if that improves during the warm summer time (when I do most of my driving).

Good luck
  • bigorange30bigorange30 Posts: 1,091
    Just after buying an accord, you are looking for a Pathfinder?

I bought a 2002 QX4 last year. Here is my input on your questions:

1 - Yes, you need to use 91 octane to keep the engine from knocking and to insure performance. $150 extra/year is not much to ask when your spending $30K on a vehicle.

2 - The 2002 doesn't have tire pressure monitors so I will let someone else answer that.

3 - I understood the 50 mph limitation was only for 4WD low. I could be mistaken on that. I rarely use the 4WD.

4 - I got 14 mpg fuel economy before I switched to synthetic oil. Now I get 15.5.
  • wow, I'm impressed that bigorange30 figured out that I bought the 2002 Accord. I wish I could afford the 2003 QX4. but the PF is almost the same at a few thousand less. (unless anyone knows of a special lease incentive for it...)

I'm replacing my 99 Accord since the lease is up this week. so, I'm highly interested in the PF, given its looks, performance, quality, etc.

however, now I'm dissapointed with the VDC's tire pressure monitor guage. I thought it was like the Jeep Limited which has it up next to the compass and shows all four tires' psi at once.

too bad about the fuel economy. it's a double wammy since 91 octane seems to be what everyone is recommending. I'm spoiled by the 3.0L V6 in the honda, with it's 22mpg typical economy.

anyway, I must choose soon. I think I'm down to either the 2003 Accord EX-V6 or the 2003 PF LE. (yes, I know, apples & oranges...)

I'd rather go flying today, the weather is very cold and crisp - probably 50 mile visibilities.
    don't buy an SUV. On the other hand, the Toyota Highlander gets 18/22 if that's so important to you. The difference in gas cost for 18 vs. 15.5 that I get is $297 in my area for the year assuming you drive 15K miles/year. This is taking into account that the Highlander takes 87 octane.

The ~$2000 difference for the QX4 is well worth the difference in my opinion.
  • Infiniti is offering great prices on the QX4. I got $5,000 off MSRP and 0.9% financing for 36 months! I understand this rate is not available on the PF. You might want to check with your local Infiniti dealer.
  • well, that is a good rate on a 36 month loan for the QX4, but I prefer to spread the payments across 60 months.

The PF gets worse fuel economy than the Highlander, but the Toyota looks more soccer-mom. so does the Pilot. The GrandCherokee limited is nice, but every other SUV on the road is Jeep. and it's V8 has even worse MPG, thus PF still wins.

I wonder why it has rear drum brakes even though it's an over $30k car? And why is there a fixed-mount radio antenna when there's also an antenna built into the front windshield? do most people drive without the exterior antenna attached? I've noticed all the PF pictures online and in the brochure show the truck without it.
  • pathstarpathstar Posts: 201
    The mileage isn't -that- bad (though it could be better). The power is wonderful. The rear drum brakes are fine - difficult to damage. Remember only 10% or less of the stopping power of any vehicle is from the rear wheels (unless you're backing up of course). The fixed mount antenna is an American oddity. It's a power antenna most other places (Canada for example).

The Rav4 Toyota would be a good choise if fuel economy is a big concern. It's a hoot to drive too.

My research shows that the Pathfinder is the best buy in the 4Runner/Acura/Pathfinder class. Or at least it was.
    Infiniti is also offering a 3.9% interest rate on 60 months. Nissan is offering no deals. Therefore the credit union will probably be the best rate there and I can get 4.9% on a new car. That 1% difference is worth $800 in interest over the life of a 5 year loan. That eats alot into the ~$2000 difference right there. I promise you that you wouldn't regret it. Just walk into an Infiniti service department and see how customers are treated. Sit in an drive both the Pathfinder and QX4, look at them in detail on the outside and see if you don't appreciate the differences inside and out. Inifinit gives a loaner with every service visit and Nissan does not where I live.
  • To Bigorange30 - I can't seem to find anything that shows the $5k discount on QX4s. The cheap financing only applies to the 2002 models according to Edmunds. Wouldn't I want a fresh 2003 model?

I think the exterior of the QX4 is great, especially those HID headlights. The door handles are color coordinated with the body, and the wheels are very aggressive looking.

But I think it's a little more than I want to spend, especially since I feel like I'm stretching a little for the PF. I appreciate your enthusiasm for the QX4. Great truck indeed!

Thanks for the info from Pathstar above regarding the brakes and radio antenna.

I can't wait to drive a PF home tomorrow. I'll write back if I get a good deal...
    wasn't also offered on the 2003. Edmunds doesn't always have all the information and sometimes they miss things. The $5K discount will not be necessarily advertised. If he says they are doing it, isn't it at least going to the dealer to check out what they are offering?
  • omega11omega11 Posts: 36
    The dealer i'm says that he has not heard of such a fix and that US TSBs do not apply in Canada.

Has anyone in Canada been able to get their temp gauge fixed? Any info would be appreciated.

thanks!
  • Yes, the fix has made a difference in mine so far this winter. We'll have to see if the same holds true this summer.

AW
  • bimmer4mebimmer4me Posts: 266
    I also had the fix and so far it's fairly accurate. In addition, I've had the bottoming out issue resloved too!