Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• woodyr1woodyr1 Posts: 142
    I installed the Reese model 74218C wiring harness to my 01 Pathfinder shortly after I bought it. There is no splicing of wires, or soldering or wire cutting. You need to remove the sill plate and partially remove the two interior panels which are at the rear of the vehicle proximate to the tail lights. You plug the Reese product where indicated, and there is no danger of shorts or sparks. Worked fine and flawless.

You can either leave the 4 prong plug inside the unit and run under rear hatch when needed, or remove the hatch in the floor of the cargo area, then remove the screws holding the storage area in place and feed the plug through to the spare tire area. I removed a rubber grommet, ran plug through, then siliconed the grommet where the cut was made. The Reese plug has a plastic flap which protected the plug from the elements.
  • in the morning was warming the car, and i noticed that the temperature gauge is clicking up and down in qucik motion. This had never happened before, is there something wrong with it or is it normal.
  • jiaminjiamin Posts: 556
    My 02 QX4 never has that. BTW when fullu warmed up, the needle stablizes at about one fine division below the middle point, and I think it's normal. My three Nissan cars all point that way.
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Posts: 621
    that's abnormal. It should not move quickly, like a pendulum on a grandfather clock. It should move slowly upwards until it stabilizes near the midpoint.

Have it checked out. You could have either a bad temperature sending unit, a short, or a bad gauge. It would be very unfortunate to overheat and perhaps not know it.
  • yipikyayipikya Posts: 5
    I just had a factory bug screen installed on my '02 LE and now notice a very noticeable hissing at speed. Is this to be expected? Has anyone else discovered the same thing? Guess I can live with it, but it would seem that Nissan would have taken this into consideration when designing their shield. Thanks for any info.
  • airman72airman72 Posts: 19
    I noticed that too occasionally on my 02' PF SE. It quickly swings up and down a bit moments after start. I wouldn't be worried as long as the needle stays at normal position when the engine is warm.
  • dgobedgobe Posts: 2
    Anyone have one for sale? I saw them at http://www.nissan-techinfo.com/ , but they were $210 for the CD version and $275 for printed.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,957
    Try eBay. I think there's a publisher that someone may recall the name of that has factory (not Haynes type) manuals.

No buying and selling here on Town Hall though, please.

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• dgobedgobe Posts: 2
    Thank you Steve. I tried eBay and it looks like they only have manuals for earlier models.

I apologize for the solicitation. If it is OK for someone to post the name of the publisher you referred to, please do so.
  • phil47phil47 Posts: 394
    Anybody found a performance brake rotor for >MY2001 Pathfinders?
  • smokey75smokey75 Posts: 434
    I found some & when I get home I'll post the web site. They're Japanese made if I remember correctly.
  • phil47phil47 Posts: 394
    The stock Nissan rotors seem prone to early warpage, and with the 18" wheels (and the associated unsprung mass) I'm running they are already slightly warped in less than 20,000 miles. I'd rather replace the rotors with quality aftermarket than turn them.
  • smokey75smokey75 Posts: 434
    Hey Phil47, if you're at 20,000 miles the rotors will be covered under warranty. Pathfinders are definitely prone to early rotor warpage, as are many other vehicles these days. I took mine in at 15,000 & they were out of spec for turning so they replaced them. At 33,000 miles I'm about to take mine in for another set (right before the warranty runs out). When these go bad I'm going to replace mine with a decent set. Anyway, the only performance rotors I've found for the 2001 & up PF is at:
    http://www.brakewarehouse.net/
    They are Akuta (Japanese) & I was quoted an e-mail price of $129 each.
  • hw88hw88 Posts: 2
    I have had my 2001 Pathfinder SE for 29 months before my in-dash 6-disc CD changer failed with the infamous "Err2" error. I am not able to play or eject any of the CD's. I have been using CD-R's without any problems until I tried a new brand. The dealer says they will have to order a re-manufactured replacement. I hope the replacement doesn't produce other problems, since the unit is built from used parts. Has anyone had any problems with the re-manufactured replacement for the Bose stereo and in-dash 6-disc CD changer?
  • wcl22wcl22 Posts: 2
    I also have a 2001 Pathfinder. The dealer replaced my CD Changer last August and I have not experienced any problems yet. It took a month for the CD Changer to arrive and another month to receive the CDs that were stuck in my original CD changer (dealer must ship entire unit back to Nissan and have them remove the CDs). So a grand total of two months without my CD changer. FYI...all the CDs in my CD changer were CD-Rs as well. Good luck! :)
  • hw88hw88 Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info. The dealer replaced my CD changer today with the re-manufactured one. It seems to be working okay so far. But in the process, they cracked the plastic screen on dashboard clock display. They ordered the part and I have to go back next week. They also said I should get my CDs returned back to me in about a month.
  • dieselonedieselone Posts: 5,641
    Does anyone know what is performed on the rear suspension TSB? Am I correct that the rubber bumper inside the coil spring is what they are replacing. My parts are in and my 01 LE is going in Thurs. for installation. I'm hoping this solves my bottoming out problem when towing my boat. My new boat is about 4200lbs dry with a tongue weight around 320lbs (tandem trailer w/ brakes) and I'm towing it to Florida in two weeks. After this trip I'll know for sure or not if more mods (timbren overloads) will be required. I am fully aware of the rigors of towing and the dangers of over loading. GVW of boat and trailer on a public scale was 8400lbs (Pathfinder full fuel, boat empty) my 2 girls are small (4yrs and 1). With wife and kids we'll have a max of 400lbs, we are packing light so we should be able to stay under the GVWR of 9500lbs. Hopefully we'll make it there and back in one piece.
  • deebardacdeebardac Posts: 23
    The OE tires on my 01 LE were Dunlop Grandtrek (SR) the vehicle is highway driven ie 65MPH all the time with light load. The tires were rotated every 4000 miles and the pressure set at the recommended 26 PSI and were replaced with Mich. Cross Terrain that were inflated to 30 PSI at 32,000 miles
    Results: Starting at 10/32nd the Dunlops when removed showed 7/32nd in the center and 3/32nd on the outsides. The Michelins again starting at 10/32nd after 9,300 miles sofar show 7/32nd in the center and 8/32nd on the outsides. I prefer the Michelins they just 'feel' better. The tire pressure has been dropped to 28 PSI which may be the optimum pressure in my case.
  • yipikyayipikya Posts: 5
    For those of you that have had the new spacers put in the rear springs for more support, is this something that you have had to pay for or should the dealership cover this fix? Just curious as I know I will be pulling a trailer this summer and don't want to find out at the last minute that my '02 LE is going to be bottoming out the whole way. Thanks for any help.
  • li_sailorli_sailor Posts: 1,081
    Thanks for the reply on the trailer wiring, it was helpful.