Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• li_sailorli_sailor Posts: 1,081
    Don't want to get into any SUV wars, here :-), but I also don't want any casual visitor to get the wrong idea...the PF LE comes with the same auto 4WD system that the QX4 has. AFAIK, the only real differences are the styling and better B2B warranty (1 more year, powertrain the same 5yrs). The suspension is the same...why would it be quieter? Maybe more insulation? Just curious...I was already stretched on the $ on the LE but in any case, IMO, 1 year on the warranty wasn't worth 4K (I don't like the look of the QX4, btw, but that's my pref...I thought the SE looked better than the LE also...but it's growing on me!).

In any case, glad you're happy with your QX4.
  • maxzoeymaxzoey Posts: 32
    When we were deciding which SUV to buy it came down to the 01 QX4 and the 01 PF LE.
    I also thought that on the surface the difference of $4000 Canadian we would go for the QX4 for the longer warranty, bigger tires, heated rear seats, etc. When it came down to making the deal in December of 2000, Nissan was willing to deal, and Infiniti was not. The difference ended up being $8,400. Now that was a BIG difference. Because of the prestige nameplate, only 1 dealer in the area, and limited supply of QX4's the $8400 difference looked pretty good to me. As for service at the dealership, the dealer has told us anytime we book an appointment we will get a loaner car, so, I am not too worried about Nissan Service.
  • tonychrystonychrys Posts: 1,310
    If your QX4 makes you sleep better at night, I'm happy for you. But the fact is they both share the same powertrain and AWD system. What you are paying the extra $$$ for is more insulation stuffed into the body, the privelge of paying more $$$ for rear heated seats or HID lamps. That's the only diference. Yes, you get 1 more year on the B2B warranty, but we all know these vehicles are of high quality and it's rare you'll need it. An aftermarket extended 6 year warranty could be had for about $1k.

In terms of loaner cars, as folks are pointing out, many quality "mainstream" dealers are now offering this, including free oil changes and car washes.

The bottom line is that Infiniti does not have a broad enough product line to really differentiate itself from it's mainstream parent, Nissan. And that's Nissan fault, but the average consumer's gain by being able to buy such a fine vehicle as a PF LE at a reasonable price.

TC
  • I have a '01 SE with the 6-CD changer. My display doesn't seem to show the minutes and seconds when I'm playing a CD. Do I have to enable this option or does it just not come with the option? If it doesn't, whose bright idea was that?!?
  • meca2meca2 Posts: 284
    I installed a hitch my self. There is a Nissan service letter on how to install
    the wires. No not let them mess your car-up. If you still need the letter e-mail
    me and I will scan it to you. The wires are ran inside the car under the rear
    deck flashing. The wires arenot long enough to run the way the instructions
    that came with the harnes!! Cheers.
  • I just recently heard the clicking of the switch in the gear shift when I step on the brake to put the lever into reverse, or any other gear. Sounded louder than usual, do you have this problem as well, or is it normal?
    1999 Pathfinder SE, Auto.
  • Gottria;
    I have heard that there was a problem with the design of the wiring harness. I don't really know if that is true or not. I had trouble getting one from my dealer, Richmond Nissan in Vancouver. After several months they more or less said the same thing. It was on back order forever, when they got it they were going to send it to me but they said they wanted to try it first and claimed it didn't fit. I wound up ordering one from www.hitch-web.com and I had it a week later. Only problem is, I haven't gotten around to installing it so I am not completely sure it fits.
    The dealer originally gave me a harness without connectors. Sort of a universal fit. If that is what your dealer was trying to put on I could see where they might have some trouble. That one looked like a pain. The one I got from hitch-web has I guess what you would call T connectors so you don't cut any wires and you don't have to sort out the wiring color codes. When I get around to installing the one I have I'll report back on my success (or not).
  • sanandtonsanandton Posts: 342
    The click is normal. It is a pin being electrically or magnetically pulled when the break is applied. This is done as a safety feature. No brake on, No shifter movement out of park. All of my last 8 automatics I have owned in the last 7 years have done it.
  • does anybody have any news on the 2002 pathfinder?
  • meca2meca2 Posts: 284
    There is a Nissan Accessory Bulletin on the Nissan P/N 999T8-RL000
    Trailer Tow Harness. The Nissan harness will fit the 2001 PF. The problem
    was the passenger side access hole/plug where the harness is normally routed
    was removed from May 00-Aug '00 PF production. The accessory bulletin from
    Nissan is NAB/00-029. The alternate way of running the harness seems
    better anyway. Provides more protection for the wires. Hope this helps.
    Cheers.....
  • smithmdsmithmd Posts: 167
    As sanandton said, it is completely normal. It keeps you from accidentally putting the car in gear. I did, however, have a problem with this in my '93 Altima. The clicking shifter switch is deactivated by the brake light switch (when the brake lights are on, you can move the selector out of Park). When the brake light switch went out, I couldn't get the car into gear...until I read the manual and found the bypass. At the time, I was swamped at work, so I didn't have time to fix it myself. The dealer charged less than $100 to replace the switch.
  • pathstarpathstar Posts: 201
    Not sure what you meant by "overfilling". Whenever I have the patience I fill it till the fuel is up to the "anti-siphon" valve. As long as you don't fill it to there and just leave it on a hot day there will be no problem (in other words, drive from the fill-up at least 20 mi/30 km). I've found my PF will use all 80 Litres (well, I refilled it and put in 78 litres - patiently, once). I really sweated that last 60 km or so with the low fuel light on - at least the last 40 km of it. I filled up my previous vehicle like that for 11 years with no problems (90 4Runner). I also had a second fuel tank in the 4Runner (plumbed to the main tank - one filler and no switching - rear tank drained into the main tank so it acted like one BIG tank - 145 litres). I miss being able to go so long without stopping - allows you to be real picky on where you fill up. Changing the vent hoses on the PF should help by giving me a full 80 litre fill-up without waiting too long.
  • PAT01 - The pathfinder that failed was in South PA. Yes, it totally died...luckily only a mile from the dealer and the salesman was along to call in help. I picked mine up Saturday, no shimmy, no problems.. except the steering wheel is not lined-up straight (cock-eyed) when I'm driving straight about 5-10 degrees. Just a little pet peeve - everything else is perfect!

Jayson4 - my $31,200 was in US$ - getting accessories at dealer cost too.

What octane of gas is everyone using? I'm still not sure (87, 89, or 92+)?
  • Goose,

I am on the north shore near NH border, and that is where I get my car done. I wish I knew of one in your area, sorry about that.
  • mtt999mtt999 Posts: 15
    I am using premium unleaded as recommended by the dealer and owner's manual. At Sam's club and Costo Wholesale, the premium unleaded is about 15 cents more than regular unleaded. I haven't tried any gasolines that rate lower than 91 octane. Since I can afford to spend over $30+k for the SUV, I would not mind to spend 15 cents more per gallon for premium gasoline to enjoy the horse power and performance. It's just my idea. Good luck and enjoy your PF!
  • Apparently, sales on the PF have been poor for this month and dealers in the area (Hampton Roads/Norfolk/Va Beach) have $500 dealer cash and 3.9% for 60 months.

Is this deal going on elsewhere? I'm wondering how long this might actually last. The ad says that it expires Jan 31, but I'm guessing they'll extend it.
  • i don't know what the current rebates are for my area in Central Florida (Edmunds doesn't show any on the regional incentives list), but i went to a Nissan dealer here that was advertising a 2001 SE for $23,495. Of course the model is a stick - but if you don't mind that it's quite a deal. They're looking for one in my color. I am sure they will try to add on a lot of extras like "The Protection Package" I noticed on a few others (I didn't even ask as I wanted to be spared the BS). But the deal is printed in the Orlando Sentinel so they have to honor it.
  • We are heading to a couple of local dealers this afternoon to test the PF LE. They are offering 3.9% 60 months and $700 under dealer invoice. They are both fighting for our business so I think they might go lower! I hope we like the car!! Any advice??
  • where are you located?

did they quote you $700 under dealer invoice over the phone?

sounds like a good deal to me....
  • tonychrystonychrys Posts: 1,310
    Better act quick....
  • Looking25,

I've noticed the same problem w/my 01 LE. Are you having that corrected? Txs.
  • Im taking delivery of a 2001 LE tonight and the dealer came down to $600 under invoice and 3.9% financing so it appears that this is the going deal/rate until 1/31. All I had to do was show them the carmax new car website and they beat their price by $500 (probably the dealer incentive) My dealer also said that they probably will not extend this since they (and many other local dealers) are running out of stock which. Most dealers I went to had only 3 to 5 pathfinders left. Unfortunately I had to go to Maryland to find a dealer that would negotiate under invoice after trying several Northern Virginia dealerships. Some companies just dont get it.
  • Could you post who that dealer is? My brother wants to buy a loaded LE next month. He lives in Northern Va. as well.

thanks.
  • aspenwhite - I'm going to pick up some accessories tomorrow and I'll have my sales guy take a ride. It's just nice having everthing lined-up for a long highway drive so the steering wheel controls "feel right".

novapath - I used the carmax approach also and it worked great for $700 under invoice.

mt999 - Thanks for the gas update, luckily I have
    a BJ's wholesale near by and will use
    their premium.
  • pbk77pbk77 Posts: 23
    Anyone having a tough time to start their Pathfinder once in awhile? I just got my Pathfinder SE a month ago and i just noticed that its having some trouble starting up once in awhile. It's not consistent...so I'm not really concerned...just wanted to bring it up and see everyone else's response.
  • phil47phil47 Posts: 394
    It only happened once to my 2001 LE, but it was weird just the same as it usually starts beautifully. It wouldn't fire after cranking twice for around 5 seconds each time. Not even a bit. I finally added a bit of throttle and it fired right up. Wonder if the computer is having troubles under certain conditions. Are you living at a high altitude (I'm in Calgary at around 3400 ft).

Incidentally, the Nissan Pathfinder Owners area is up and running with 4 or 5 specific topics. Us owners should start posting over there.
  • mbuntingmbunting Posts: 158
    For those of you looking to buy in the Maryland area, give Tischer Nissan on Fort Meade Rd. a try (near BWI). I purchased my 01' PF LE for $31,000 about 3 weeks ago from Rich Belliveau there at Tischer. At that time, they beat the Carmax price by a couple hundred dollars on my PF that is loaded (minus the NAV & ENT Systems and the Tow Hitch).

Good luck
  • Just got in from my first PF LE test ride. Thought we would get to two dealers but only made it to one. They were begging us to buy a 2001 LE with leather, slip thing, mats, sunroof wind deflecter in White... $29,998....at 3.9% for 60 months. My husband thinks the deal will last but they told us only until the 31st. I'm a little concerned about letting this opportunity slip by but we just started looking at cars and didn't want to jump at the first offer. HELP PF owners.
  • Tell me if I've gone crazy here. I drove a 2001 LE 4x4 on Saturday, and loved it but for one thing - it was Sherwood Green. A fine color, but I wanted silver, so I told the salesman to get me one in silver and we'd have a deal. He said that their store across town had one, the same vehicle (i.e., LE 4x4, same options, but in silver). I bought it on the spot and told the salesman I would pick up the silver LE on Monday.

Today I picked it up and drove it home. Then I noticed a strange thing - it has a floor shift-on-the-fly lever, not the dial mechanism with all-mode 4-wheel drive. What the heck?!? I double-checked, it's definitely a 2001 LE 4x4. Everything I can find anywhere tells me that all-mode is standard on the 2001 LE 4x4s. But somehow mine doesn't have it.

Any ideas? Explanations? Recommendations? Should I demand a new vehicle that does have all-mode? Thanks for all advice.
  • jkrammjkramm Posts: 3
    Recently flipped my 94 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Gotta love that unforseen ice and a ditch to boot. Well I think i have it narrowed down to a Jeep Grand Cherokee, Nissan Pathfinder, or Nissan Xterra. I have read all the posts here so I feel pretty knowledgeable about the pathfinder but any advice you could give me in comparing the 3 would be greatly appreciated. thank you...feel free to email me at jkpowder@aol.com