Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• jiaminjiamin Posts: 556
    I myself don't have any problem resting my left leg. If I do, I'd lower the seat front a bit to have less hard support to my leg. I found the actual uncomfort does not come from the seat but the too wide of the floor bump in the front that my right foot does not have room to move about (just enough room to operate the gas pedal). I think it is designed to accommodate the 4WD mechanism under the floor...
  • fleetwoodsimcafleetwoodsimca Posts: 1,518
    "Sorry, but I need to correct some things in your post."

From whence did this driving need arise? You're quite hypercritical of my use of descriptive language to refer to two different types of torque wrench, pointing out that you have the correct names for my instruction. You missed the point entirely. I just checked with Marshal Dillon from Gunsmoke and he told me that in view of the laws of physics, there really is no reason to ever bother trying to "recalibrate" a classic torque wrench from the Montgomery Ward collection. He then told me that those "clickers" (that's a very technical term!) are rarely expected to read more accurately than 5% of true torque. Now, Snapon probably has a model out that is far better, but then the price will put it out of the reach of the majority of tool buyers, I'd dare say. Oh! And I forgot to tell you I also own a... what? Click type? Yeah, that's it. A click type. (:o]
  • Fleetwoodsimca No worries all in the spirit of knowledge.

I owned a 2000 LE PF until a month ago. My PF decided it wanted to fly. An older gentleman pulled out in front of me while I was traveling on a highway. I was also pulling a utility trailer.

Once I t-boned the other vehicle, my PF went sailing, flipped unto the roof and rolled four times. All the glass was blown out and all the occupants were injured

At this point the PF is a mangled heap of metal. But not one of the four air bags deployed. When I was in the ER both a cop and a fireman said the grille guard prevented the air bags from going off. Has anyone had a accident with a grille guard on and the air bags didn't go off? Would love to know. Thanks.
    That is indeed awful. I certainly hope that you and everyone else involved in the accident are now okay. I have never heard anything about grill guards preventing the bags from inflating. Considering the "authority" level of the policeman and fireman telling you that was the case, you should consider reporting the incident to the federal Dept. of Transportation. Perhaps the responders already have. Good luck.
  • spinbearspinbear Posts: 9
    We just bought a brand new 2003 SE, and it's my first new car. So I have a question about oil changes, when they say 3 mos/3000 miles, is it what comes first or last? Because we only put about 400 miles a month on it, so it'll be about 7 months before we hit the 3000 mile mark. Do we really need to change the oil and filters at 1200 miles? Or is the stealer just seeing dollar signs from new owners? I thought today's synthetics were engineered to go 5000 miles, no sweat. Advice please! Thanks--
  • Hello. I just bought a 1998 Pathfinder a few weeks ago. I don't know much about cars but the 'Check Engine' light just came on yesterday...could someone please explain some likely reasons why it did? The gas cap is on...we tried that. Also, would you recommend me buying a code reader for it and trying to figure this out myself or is it worth it to spend the money to have someone else handle this problem? I just figured that you all would be the people to ask first. Thanks
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,919
    Try to find an auto parts store that will pull the codes for free - AutoZone is one that usually offers this service.

Steve, Host
    I have religiously changed the oil and filter on my 1998 PF XE since I bought it new in '98. I have always used high quality, appropriate mineral oil of proper weight. I am not aware of the latest iterations of PFs coming from the factory with synthetic oil in the crankcase. I change every 3K miles, and do not worry about the time that passes reaching that point, although I would not go beyond a year on any vehicle. Find out what the warranty demands that you do, so that you do not breach those terms.

A quick way to get a reading of a "check engine" light is to go to an Autozone store and ask them for that free service. Now, interpreting the code as a diagnosis of what is required to repair the vehicle can be another matter. You may end up needing to seek out a shop/mechanic for final determination of what to do to fix the problem.
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Posts: 1,015
    This is an industry known problem. Check out "East Coast Bullbars" (an Australian company). They claim they check out each of their products to ensure they do not interfere with air bag sensitivity. Time to check the grill guard manufacturer. It's their responsibility to ensure their product is safe to use (when installed properly of course). It may be time to consult a lawyer.
  • smokey75smokey75 Posts: 434
    Hey, I'm also a firefighter & it's amazing to me what kind of crap police & other firefighters feel the need to inform the public of... especially when they really don't know what they're talking about. There really is no way a grill guard could interfere with an air bag not deploying. The front airbags are deployed by the air bag control module, which on most vehicles is located inside the vehicle. It is basically a decelerometer (spelling?). Inside the module it consists of a small ball (usually gold because it is a good conductor of electricity) located on the side of the module facing the rear of the vehicle. Towards the front of the module there is electrical contacts. This ball is designed to break loose at a certain deceleration. When it breaks loose it flies forward & hits the contacts, sending the signal to deploy the airbag. That is why the front airbags only deploy in a frontal collision. The force has to be in that direction for the ball to break loose. I've actually seen an airbag control module cut in half so that you can see what I'm talking about. So, therefore anything mounted on the front won't affect rather the airbag deploys or not. It is controlled by how fast the vehicle decelerates, which obviously, is very fast in a frontal collision. Now, as to why your bags didn't deploy in your collision, your guess is as good as mine. Maybe the fact that your initial collision sent you flying and didn't immediately stop you resulted in a low enough deceleration from the forward direction to not deploy. If you were wearing your seatbelt & didn't strike the steering wheel the impact probably didn't warrant the front airbags being deployed anyway. They are designed to prevent your head & sometimes chest from impacting the steering wheel.
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Posts: 1,015
    Well, actually a grill guard can affect when the airbag deploys, and even if it deploys. If the added (or removed) components change the rate of deceleration (which is what East Coast Bullbars are worried about), the bags could deploy in a collision that doesn't require them, or it could cut the wires or destroy the sensor if mounted in the wrong place, before the sensor detects the deceleration. If the grill guard projects in front of the vehicle it could decelerate the vehicle more gradually, causing the bags to not deploy. The products the above company make actually replace the front bumper totally, so it is more of a modification than a simple grill guard, but without proper collision research, who knows what will happen? If you wonder how I could be correct, check out all the little details in the construction of the front components Nissan had to make (e.g. stamped cuts in the belt protector so it will deform a certain way as well as certain "directing" pieces of metal to force controlled deformation). You find these techniques used in most cars now.
    I still don't buy it. First, you said "If the added (or removed) components change the rate of deceleration (which is what East Coast Bullbars are worried about), the bags could deploy in a collision that doesn't require them..." How could the fact that a grill guard is mounted on the front make the entire vehicle decelerate faster in an impact. The vehicle will decelerate at the same rate regardless of what is mounted on the front. It is one solid mass & reacts as such. Then, you said "or it could cut the wires or destroy the sensor if mounted in the wrong place, before the sensor detects the deceleration." Huh? The sensor is mounted inside the vehicle so that no impact will damage it immediately. Unless the guard is mounted inside the vehicle I don't see any way it could "cut the wires" to the sensor. Then you said "If the grill guard projects in front of the vehicle it could decelerate the vehicle more gradually, causing the bags to not deploy." I think you're confusing two different concepts. The vehicle, acting as one mass, will decelerate at the same rate regardless of what is mounted outside. The rate it decelerates is controlled by the weight of the vehicle and the force that opposes it. You also refer to the energy absorbing crumple zones that most vehicles now have. Basically everything, other than the passenger compartment, is designed to deform, absorbing the energy of the impact before that energy is transferred to the occupant. A grill guard would actually help in this respect, absorbing some of the impact energy as it deforms. I'm not trying to get into an argument or anything, just don't see any reason to start some kind of fear campaign against grill guards. Reminds me of the whole Firestone/Explorer thing, the way everyone panicked about these tires, yet never mentioned that those who were killed had a lack of driving skill and didn't wear their seatbelt.
    The Australians seem to be the best versed in bull bars:

Bull Bars/Roo Bars

Four Wheel Drive Safety

It seems clear that bull bars can interfer with crumple zones and air bag triggering, and many are excessively dangerous to pedestrians.

Steve, Host
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Posts: 621
    Front-mounted accessories do affect the way a vehicle absorbs impact energy and transmits it to the passenger compartment. Grill guards and bull bars are good examples of accessories which can affect collision damage as well as airbag deployment.

For example, in certain minor front-end collisions, nearly all grille guards will add to the amount of damage your vehicle sustains, because the top and sides of the guard will bang into the hood and fenders. Without the device, it's likely that the bumper alone would sustain more of the damage.

In more severe frontal collisions, bull bars, which replace the entire front bumper assembly, will greatly affect occupant deceleration dynamics, primarily because the vehicle's crumple zones have been significantly altered. If you replace a deformable plastic/steel/foam bumper with a rigid steel bumper, then impact energy will get transmitted directly to the frame instead of getting aborbed. In some cases, depending on the way the bull bar mounts to the vehicle's frame, crumple zones can even be partially bypassed.

My Pathfinder is equipped with a steel bull bar, primarily for off-road protection and winch mounting. It's several times stronger and over 100 lbs heavier than the factory bumper it replaced. I already know that the factory bumper can deform and absorb a 15mph collision with another vehicle without transmitting the impact to the airbag sensor, but while I have no desire to determine whether my bull bar will affect airbag deployment, I acknowledge that there is likely some risk that airbags may not deploy the same way under the exact circumstances as a stock vehicle.
    I've read the links that STEVE_HOST posted and it's hardly "clear that bull bars can interfer with crumple zones and air bag triggering." There just simply is not enough evidence to confirm this. It is nothing more than the typical "the sky is falling" speculation that in certain laboratory controlled conditions, which occur in the real world about .000000001% of the time, there is a possibility something could be unsafe. I would agree that grill guards could cause more signifigant damage to the vehicle. Because most are mounted directly to the frame, under the bumper, the crash energy would be transferred directly to the frame, bypassing the crumple zones that are designed to absorb that energy, and potentially bending the frame. As for grill guards being more dangerous to pedestrians, how many SUVs have the low to the ground bumper that is pictured in your link? There is a reason they show a picture of a car & not a SUV. When a car strikes a pedestrian I can attest to the fact that it usually results in major tib-fib (lower leg) damage. But most SUVs have a much higher & flat front compared to cars. Usually the grill guard is not any higher than the front of the car already is. Maybe we should just ban SUVs because their front end is not designed to be safer when it meets a pedestrian. While we're at it, how about semis? They make a really big mess of pedestrians. Also, I still see no way, according to the laws of physics, that a grill guard will cause the entire vehicle to decelerate faster or slower than it would without a grill guard. It is this deceleration that causes the vehicle to deploy the airbags, not the amount of energy that is transferred into the vehicle.
    I don't have links handy but I've seen some that agree with you that SUVs are more dangerous to pedestrians generally since their hoods are higher off the ground and thus not as "soft" as car hoods. Grill guards don't help that situation any.

At this point, I'll side with the Aussies and leave the physics for Tidester ....

Steve, Host
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    It is this deceleration that causes the vehicle to deploy the airbags, not the amount of energy that is transferred into the vehicle.

Definitely! But that alone doesn't answer whether bullbars affect the deployment of airbags. Given that the bars are attached to the frame, then whether deceleration rates are increased or decreased depends on the relative rigidity of the bars compared with the crumple zone. If the bars are more rigid then, being attached to the frame, they will increase the rate of deceleration causing deployment when it would otherwise not occur.

If they are less rigid (which I doubt) then the opposite would occur - deployment will be retarded.

As to pedestrians being struck by vehicles, SUVs are generally more harmful to them because their higher and flatter frontends cause momentum to be transferred to the pedestrian all at once. In the case of passenger cars, the momentum transfer is spread out in time reducing the likelihood of fatality. (This involves both translational and rotations components of momentum transfer with a large portion of the exchange occuring with the body being slapped onto the less rigid hood.)

Whether attached to a car or an SUV it would seem to me that the bullbar would increase injury (not necessarily fatality) to a pedestrian because momentum is transferred over a smaller area. This is like the difference between being punched with a boxing glove and receiving a karate punch.

tidester, host
    Before the Pathfinder board turns into an airbag & bullbar board I think I'll just agree to disagree & leave it at that. Good arguments from both sides though. At least the Pathfinder board can have a civilized debate without things getting ugly like some of the other boards. How about something we can probably all agree on... I love my Pathfinder with or without a bullbar...
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    ...something we can probably all agree on ... I love my Pathfinder with or without a bullbar...

We all agree - you love your PF with or without the bullbar! ;-)

(sorry - couldn't resist!)

tidester, host
  • I guess I didn't put all the details in the original post. The grill guard was an official NISSAN accessory, not a Aussie product. I'm not now, nor was I in my original post, suggesting that grill guards are unsafe. I was asking if anyone had experienced a accident with the Nissan guards attached.

However, the design of the Nissan guard, in my opinion, contributed to my PF leaving the ground. When you hit the brakes quickly the nose of the vehicle dives down. The guard has two curved vertical pieces in the front. The combination of the the two, along with a utility trailer with weight in it, moved the vehicles momentum from going forward to the rear end going upwards.

This maybe difficult to believe, but this happened in a real world crash. A 5000 lb. vehicle with a loaded utility trailer flipped end over end, landing on it's roof.

Just a side note the guard was attached to the frame of the PF and each bolt was torqued to 30 foot pounds, per Nissan specs. (that was for fleetwoodsimca)