Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• mahipalcmahipalc Posts: 20
    Another set back guys! As I said, I was to go to the dealer last evening(45 miles away) to get the vehicle. I asked him to fax me the purchase order before going there so as to not expect any last minute surprises. What do I find....the vehicle has 2100 miles on it. I got very upset and called the guy, he says it was a mistake and told me that it is a demo vehicle. No wonder I got such a deal. Now I don't know what to do, they dont have another vehicle in that color with those options. He asked me if I would be interested in the car if they reduce the price by a couple of hundred dol1ars more. I didnt say anything to him as I was not expecting this and was not prepared to answer.

Help me out guys, what should I do here??
  • bigorange30bigorange30 Posts: 1,091
    What you were offered on the QX4 sounds like a good deal but I have heard of even better over on the QX4 board. It sounds like the differential between QX4 and PF is very little now. I promise, you won't be disappointed in ther Infiniti service dept. They are the best in the industry in my opinion about the same as Lexus. You would not regret it.
  • mjohnr99mjohnr99 Posts: 193
    If it is not already there (not sure), can Edmunds add a footnote or fine print with a statement to the effect of Post # 6754? I know I have seen others bragging about getting TMV and something thinking that was the low price they should be after and commended on getting, when often in situations it is several thousand dollars lower. I doubt this will be done (I can already guess why), but just one for the INBOX. [As for KBB, I reccomend using NADA when they buy and sell cars.] THX.

P.S. As for the bait and switch to the demo, I would refuse to do any further business with the stealer. Try a mass Internet E-mail to all your local dealers with the option codes and tell them you want a line by line listing of all your costs to the penny and you will come in and buy. That is what I did in CAT region. Most Internet departments respond with general "come on ins" and only give you a single # (as to which you're left guessing what it represents and wonder whether they will do better), but there will probably be one like mine (VOB Nissan in Bethesda, MD) where the Internet guy gave a complete breakdown, with T/T/T, option codes, and a final non-negiotable price. As a result, they were rewarded with me going in, test driving, and buying same for the nice $31K price at the time. I even tried haggling over a free tow hitch, but no-go; this price was final, kind of like carmax. Turns out, other dealerships really couldn't even do any better on the same color and equipped vehicle. The process was far more enjoyable then traipsing around dealerships (with the games you're experiencing) and it's too bad more dealers don't do same (although they are starting to . . . )
    mjohnr99

You are absolutely right. I have no intention of going back to that dealer now. I too live in the DC metro area and the dealer we are talking about is Darcars Nissan in MD. No matter how much research one does I guess there is always a chance of getting ripped off by these car dealers.

Thanks for the info about VOB Nissan!
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,968
    "Wouldn't it be great if you could determine what others are paying before you visit a dealer? We think so. That's why we've created Edmunds.com's True Market Value (TMV) pricing, our proprietary system that takes into account all market variables and gives you the bottom line price. Updated monthly, it's a guide that tells you what buyers are currently paying for new vehicles — or what dealers and consumers are paying and getting for used vehicles — before you begin your negotiations."

link

I'll add my own footnote: The data people think that TMV is the bottom line.

Depending on supply and demand, sometimes TMV is the absolute best deal around (think hot new models), and sometimes dealers will just laugh at TMV (not in the current market though!).

But someone, somewhere, is always going to get a better deal than you. Arm yourself with the info, and you can be that person. Heh, I should go into motivational speaking :-)

Steve, Host
  • rabi504rabi504 Posts: 15
    I have bought PF no may 30th,so far have no complaine.I have allwayes liked honda,and my first new car civic gave me so much trobule that at dealership they know me by first name basis. Any how I want to know how long you guys think I would be able to keep my PF without any major problem? I want to know how reliable are they?
    Does 03 pathfinder LE come in two different silver colors. Is there a differnce between sheer silver and chrome silver or are they two different names of the same color?
  • jiaminjiamin Posts: 556
    According to Consumer Reports, their reliability is excellent. I do have some monir complains about my 02 QX4. Their not reliability related but design related.

Little further, I think more Nissans/Infinitis are very reliable. I still have 94 Altima and the only "major" replacement is its distributor. 96 Maxima has absolutely zero repair but it's gone to junk yard after it was rear ended a year ago.
  • airman72airman72 Posts: 19
    I read in another PF forum and it appears that some folks have had difficulties locating and removing the drain plugs, which makes me a little hesitant to DIY. So, did anyone find it fairly easy to do it on a '02 SE? If it is a lot of trouble, I probably have to go to the dealer... Thanks.
  • wildcorgiswildcorgis Posts: 84
    Haven’t posted for a while. So thought I’d just give an update of my 02 2WD PF.
    I’ve had it close to 15 months with a little under15K miles on it and as expected have had zero problems with it. Just changed the oil every 5K. Mileage has improved a little but still get 14mpg with all city driving and 21 all hwy. I average about 16-18.
    Don’t have any major complaints or minor ones come to think about it. I go camping with my little boy once a month through the Y. and do get to take it on a lot of dirt and rocky roads. Holds plenty of stuff inside including our bikes.

When I decelerate it does shake a little but it might be because of the road surface, as I can’t duplicate it all the time. Hopefully it’s not warped rotors! Love the light colored interior but I’ll never get it again. A 5 yr old and 2 dogs make it so I’m constantly wiping the seats to keep them clean. Thanks goodness I Scotchgaurded them when I first got it.

I’m very please with my purchase, still might have been better off with a station wagon but the only one I considered was the L.L. Bean Outback and it was way too expensive then, close to 30K and I don’t really need 4WD. I do like the looks of the 05 Legacy wagon. Oh!, and on a side note while driving back from the desert in San Diego I saw a red Nissan Xtrail with Mexican plates on it. Looked very nice and sized right. Wonder if you can buy one in Mexico and bring it over?

Happy Pathfinding!!!!

Steve
    You want to handle this one, Jon?

:-)

Steve, Host
  • mattman055mattman055 Posts: 57
    Who wants to take bets on how ugly this thing will look? I sure hope it doesn't, but if you follow the trend.....

http://www.nissannews.com/?http://www.nissannews.com/nissan/news/products/relmatt2003062583640.shtml

I wish it would be built in Japan.
  • bd70bd70 Posts: 30
    Anyone know of a good source for ordering the OE Duelers, other than the dealer? I know that they are not a favorite among anyone here, but I had a little run in with a road hazard and need to replace just one. The other four are still in good shape, 3 with about 5k on them and the spare which had no mileage on it. Which leads me to ask, is the spare already balanced and suitable for regular replacement use? It is the same size tire and rim. Just wondering. I still need to have a spare though. If I had more miles on them, I'd replace them all with something else. Not an economically feasible option right now.
  • wildcorgiswildcorgis Posts: 84
    try www.tirerack.com
  • scantyscanty Posts: 171
    A few months back, poseidon asked about the replacement for the Pathfinder - not the Titan based Armada. Here's the scoop from TCC:

Nissan Pathfinder Moving to Tennessee
    As Nissan moves to the final phase of its North American product renaissance, the Pathfinder SUV is moving to the company’s Smyrna, Tenn., assembly plant, where it seems likely it will share a common architecture with the next Xterra and Frontier trucks. Nissan says the new Pathfinder — not to be confused with the Titan-based, full-size Pathfinder Armada SUV built in Mississippi — will enter production in Smyrna in the fall of 2004. The company will add 800 new jobs at the sprawling factory and its Decherd, Tenn., engine plant to accommodate the new vehicle."
  • Jack44Jack44 Posts: 221
    Just a economical thought...Call up your local tire dealers and see if they have a used tire...Then put the good spare on and use the used one as your spare...
  • twelsh140twelsh140 Posts: 7
    I have been the proud owner of 4 Pathfinders. My newest is a 2003 LE. But the performance of the air conditioner has been very poor. The dealer did check it out but said many customers are very unhappy with the AC performace. On a hot day after 30 miles of driving the temperature output at the ducts is 53 degrees outside temp is 90. Thus I was wondering how many 2003 owners were having the same trouble. My 96,98,2000,2001 all perfomed with no trouble and output air at duck was 40 degrees. My dealer has been fantastic through out the years thus i tend to think Nissan is having trouble. I wonder what part or parts they changed between the 2001 and 2003 model years
  • pathfinder13pathfinder13 Posts: 110
    I have been hearing annoying ticking noise which seemed to be coming either from transmission or somewhere else just can't figure it out. I can hear tick tick sound at any speed, I checked everything but no luck. I was wondering if any of pathfinder owners have had the same kind of ticking sound. It would be great help. Any hints guys.

Twelsh 40, I think the a/c performance problem is not with the 2003 only but also 2002. I have 2002 LE and a/c seems to be very weak compare to other cars. In hot sunny day the a/c does not seem to be cold at all, but I did find a solution. I tinted all windows which helped a/c work better than before.
  • twelsh140twelsh140 Posts: 7
    In my home state of New Jersey we can not tint the drivers, or passenger door glass. I have a sun shade for the windshield, and i leave all 4 windowns open a little bit. I have also tried taking the transmission out of overdrive. This makes the compressor turn at a higher speed with no real improvement. I will contact Nissan factory and see what they can do. The dealer says they have a very complicated chart that shows the performance difference between Freon and R-134 but I have had 3 other pathfinders all having the R-134. So the factory, or the bean counters changed something. I will not be buying another pathfinder until they ( nissan ) fixes it.