Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• pathstar1pathstar1 Posts: 1,015
    If the hole is in the exhaust, it's a condensate drain hole. To let the water out. The water in the exhaust, BTW, is an acid, and can make short work of the exhaust system. This is why the vehicle should be warmed up fully before shutting it off to vaporize the water, ie: short trips - a few blocks - each day will put excessive wear on it.
  • I think that's what the service technician told me. I work about a mile away from my home. So, there is a lot of short trips that I drive. Is there any special care that I should be taking considering most of my trips are a mile or less than that??

Thanks again!
  • lbinhlbinh Posts: 190
    Dieselone,

I am very interested in the Yoko Geolanders so keep us up to date. What size are your tires and do they rub at any point? How worn were you OEM tires and how noisy were they? My pathfinder is very noisy at 50 MPH and up. I am starting to think Pathfinders are noisy cars but can't tell if it is all wind noise, road noise, or just tire noise. I know it is not the smooth engine.
  • jiaminjiamin Posts: 556
    I have 02 QX4 and 00 RX300, and also like to join the noise discussion. The QX4 is noticeably noisier than RX300. If I accelerate QX4 at highway speed, I can clearly hear its "power" noise, but I can hear very little in RX300.

I call it "power" noise because I'm not sure if it's engine noise or exhaust system noise. My guess is mostly it's exhaust which can be reduced by using quieter pipe, muffler or the like, but also with some loss of HP/torque.

Yes I also want the quietest tires maybe with a little sacrifice of performance.
    I also have an ES300 with very little noise. I think Toyota/Lexus beats Nissan/Infinity in the noise reduction department. I know Nissan is on the rebound financially/economically and hope to see vast future quality improvements across the board.
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Posts: 621
    Short trips are one of the worst things for an engine and for a car. An engine barely even reaches operating temperature in a mile. Engine oil is cold, transmission fluid is cold, and acidic condensation formed by the combustion process doesn't fully burn off, and instead makes its way into your oil.

My parents owned an old Ford van with a 460ci engine, and my mom drove it daily to her workplace, just under a mile from our house. By the time she reached work, the engine had barely warmed up! Needless to say, it developed severe problems after only 60,000 miles. It burned a quart of oil every 200 miles (burnt valve and bad rings) and at just over 90,000 miles a connecting rod broke loose and punched a few holes in the block, effectively ending its life.

The best thing you can do for your vehicle to counteract your repeated short trips is to give your car/engine a workout at least once a week: drive it at least 30 minutes continously, more if possible. You should also consider changing your engine oil at no greater than 3000-mile intervals.

Alternatively, consider walking or biking to work.

If you've no choice but to put this kind of wear on your vehicle, don't expect it to last that long.
  • Jack44Jack44 Posts: 221
    The Lexus is NOT a real SUV...It's a funny looking car...

The Pathfiners and QX4's are SUV trucks...That can do things that cars can't do...

Cars are quieter, mostly, than trucks...
  • smokey75smokey75 Posts: 434
    Another thing you can do to counteract the damage done by short trips is to use synthetic fluids. Synthetics flow freely down to a very low temperature, before they have had a chance to warm up. I use Mobil 1 oil in the engine, Mobil 1 ATF in the transmission & transfer-case, & Mobil 1 Gear Lube in the front & rear limited-slip differential.

Which brings me to another point... somebody mentioned they didn't think their LSD was working anymore & that they had used Mobil 1 gear lube in it. They also said that Mobil 1 had told them it is not compatible & that it should be used with an additive. Well, I spoke to Mobil 1 today & they said it is compatible with no additives. The manual calls for API GL-5, and he said Mobil 1 exceeds the performance requirements of API GL-5, as the bottle also states. It also calls for 80W-90, which he said Mobil 1, at 75W-90 also exceeds. I don't know why someone at Mobil 1 told you differently, but it seems to be ok to use. If you're still wondering if your LSD is working, you can check it by raising both rear wheels off the ground. With the engine off, car in neutral, & parking brake off, turn one of the rear wheels by hand. A good LSD will turn the opposite rear wheel the same direction. If the opposite wheel turns the opposite direction your LSD is toast.
    Yes it's a fact that most cars are quieter than most SUVs. How about Lexus LX470? Never test drive it but according to some expert test report, it's one of the quietest SUVs (noise level never reachs 68 dB...), and it's true off-road capable.
  • dieselonedieselone Posts: 5,641
    ibinh,

The Geolander's I replaced my OEM Bridestones with are the same size 255/65/16. Do not rub under any circumstances. They look wider than the bridgestones for some reason, but clearance is fine. Handling is much much improved. Steering response is very crisp. Road noise is basically nonexistent, big improvement. The Yoko's don't seem to have as much sidewall flex, vehicle stays more stable in turns and inspires confidence. Ride quality has definitely taken a hit though. I'm still dialing in tire pressures, for some reason the shop filled the tires @ 40psi and it road like a buck board wagon. I lowered the pressure down to 32 psi today and it has improved some, but I will probably go ahead and reduce the pressure down to the recommended 26psi to see what happens.

I ran the oem's to 39k. I don't know what the exact tread depth was when replaced, but the were not down to the wear bars. I probably could have gotten another 5-10k out of them but wanted fresh rubber for winter. As far as noise is concerned, the oem's seemed to always have an annoying humming sound and it is basically completely quiet with the Yokos. At 50+ all I hear is wind noise that you'll get with a vehicle that has aerodynamics similar to a brick. I'll post again when I get more seat time with the air pressure further reduced. As it is I'm a little disappointed with the ride, it is pretty choppy. That just may be the trade off for the improved handling.
    I've ridden in a LX 470 and they are very quiet. The one I road in did have some rattles that really surprised me, but it was extremely quiet at all speeds. Toyotas 4.7 v8 is buttery smooth and you can hardly tell it's running even when pushed.
  • woodyr1woodyr1 Posts: 142
    Which model of the Geolander did you have installed? Thanks
    Alright, my 1993 ES300 is a bad example/comparison. I have driven the 2000 RX 300 with little to no noise not like my 2001 LE Pathfinder. In fact, I have driven a 1995 and 2001 Isuzu Rodeo with less wind and road noise at highway speeds. It may be just my Pathfinder and the OEM Duellers. Maybe also the very thick roof rack.

FYI..I moved the forward roof rail back(to rear) as much as possible and it helped a little with the wind noise

Don't get me wrong. All in all, I love my Pathfinder. The quality build, good design, and awesome engine.
    Thanks for the great analysis. That is exactly what I was looking for.

Like Woodyr1 asked, which Geolander model did you buy? There are three. I think you got the unidirectional model with the sportier handling. If so, I think the standard model would ride a little softer with less handling. The third model is for heavy duty commercial trucks.
    I had the Geolander H/T G051 installed.
    I remember tirerack.com shows the Dueller H/T 689 (OEM on QX4) is quieter than many other tires, althrough not the quietest. Not sure of tirerack's index number, maybe from consumers' statistics.

When I am at a constant speed and turn my head around and face to the right side, I hear more noise comes from the back. Maybe caused by the liftgate that can leak some air compared to a fix glass, or maybe caused by the less airodynamic square shape of the back.

Wonder if anybody applied sound-deadening material to their Path/QX4.
  • Jack44Jack44 Posts: 221
    Another thing to consider is the Air Deflector attached to lift gate...
  • Jiamin,

I have also noticed noise from the glass liftgate, especially on rainy days. I wonder if a wider seal or thicker glass would reduce the noise. I don't think there is a fix for this, so we might have to accept it. The noise is noticeable, but not bothersome...I just crank up the radio !!!
    Hi jack44,
    I have the air deflector on (from factory). I'll take it off to check the noise difference.

Hi pathalogical,
    Right, I don't think there's a fix to the lift gate. Thicker glass is definetely better that's way some high-class cars have thicker glass. BTW my 00 RX300's front window glass is thicker than the back which is as thick as the QX4's. They say some MB cars even have double-pane windows...
  • I have an '03 LE and am looking to ditch the crappy Toyo's that it came with (21k and more than 1/2 the tread is gone, plus there's no grip in the dirt or snow). One problem is the selection for 255/65/16's isn't very good. I was wondering if anyone has tried 255/70/16's and if there was any problem with rubbing? Looking to get a good AT tire that's good in the Sierra snow, any suggestions would be great. Thanks