Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• nne3jxcnne3jxc Posts: 134
    After looking at the wheel wells again, I said "the heck with it" and glued the Legos in place. Yes, it is kind of a goofy mod, but both the fender and wheel tub are plastic, so I have no fear of body rot starting from trapped salt.
    For each side, I took 2 "8-bump" Legos (Black, so they wouldn't show), stacked them and epoxyed them together. Then I placed the glued Lego blocks horizontally into the gap between the fender lip and the tub about 8 inches from the bottom of the fender, pushing the tub forward about 1 inch. I then used a couple of dabs of epoxy to glue the blocks in place in the fender. I figure the Legos should be more than strong enough to resist any damage from road debris, but easy enough to cut out if necessary.
    I put up some pictures here if you want to see.

BTW: re-reading my post from yesterday -- the change in diameter should be 1.5" not 1/5"
  • lbinhlbinh Posts: 190
    Tires look great!! Did you purchase a new spare tire also? I heard that size will not fit in the spare tire space. Anyways, good job and great pictures. I liked how you outlined the locations in the pictures.
  • bgritzbgritz Posts: 139
    nne3jxc,
    they lok great!
    We went to the 265/70-16's on our '01 5-spd SE two years ago, and just put another set on last month. I will never go smaller. The added width has not been a detriment in CO's snow. In fact, they absolutly STOMPED in last years 48" blizzard.
    http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/bgritz/lst?.dir=/Blizzard+Pics&a- mp;.src=ph&.order=&.view=t&.done=http%3a//f1.pg.photo- s.yahoo.com/

In your last pic caption you stated "May not be enough for true off-roading"-.........you will be fine.
    We've had both the front and rear sets of tires fully "stuffed" into the wells and there is still clearance (1/2" to 3/4"
    http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/bgritz/vwp?.dir=/Canyonlands-Nee- - - dles+Oct.+2001&.dnm=110+Pathy+in+Devil%27s+Lane.jpg&.view- - - =t

all pics can be seen here:
    http://photos.yahoo.com/bgritz

Enjoy them!
    gritz
    Wow -- Great pics! I love the one in Devil's Lane.
    Mine will never see that much off-roading -- mud-filled dirt roads from the New Hampshire spring rains and thaw are about as "xtreme" as this truck gets. And I agree, I'll never go back to the OEM tires, the Yoko's handle so much better -- even with the slight rise in the center of gravity.

lbinh: No, I didn't bother with the spare. If I have to I could limp it home with OEM spare. (Be an interesting ride, though...)
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Posts: 621
    If you do use your (smaller) spare tire, be sure to place the spare on a front position, and use 2WD mode (not AWD or 4WD) until you can get a like-sized replacement tire. This kind of sucks if you get a flat in the rear, because you'll have to swap THREE tires instead of just two, but it's better than compromising your drivetrain. Using tires of different diameters can potentially damage the 4WD system if used over long distances.

edit: Just saw your photos. Your truck looks great! Now all you need is a 1-2" lift to complete the look!
  • Hello All,

I am new at this website. I think it's great that everyone sharing their ideas regarding vehical.

I just got a new 2003 LE. It's much nicer than my old 95 PF. For Nissan Pathfinder, it has come a longways.

One Problem I am experiencing is a noise coming from engine JUST AROUND 2,900 RMP to 3,100. Have not had a chance to bring it to the service department yet. It sounds like crakling noice as you are in too high of a gear in stickshif. Has Anyone experienced this problem? If you did what was the problem and the solution?

Thanks,

fishingguy1
  • eagle63eagle63 Posts: 599
    Hey all, just got a 2003 PF SE and I'm loving it! (my first Nissan vehicle) 2 questions, however: Do all PF's have a LSD differential, or is this an option that I missed getting?
    Second, my owner's manual lists 2 different engines, but I thought all PF's came with the same 3.5 DOHC V6. Do you know what the differences are?
    Thanks in advance!!

-eagle63
    I just installed a 4'x 4' piece of Dynomat Xtreme under the rear seat. I am suprised Nissan did not insulate that area properly as well as it should. A lot of body metal under just 1 layer of carpet. There is that loose piece of rubber mat with foam but I doubt that actually makes a difference since it floats on the body panel loosely.

I removed the jack, brackets and rear seats to get to the bare floor board. I sized and installed Dynomat Xtreme to all the areas I could. Skipping the Fuel pump area, wires, and bolts (4' x 4' piece covers 60-70%). The body panel that supports the rear seat bolts did not have any insulation at all. I covered that panel almost completely. Re-installed everything (less than hour to do). Test drove it and did notice a small drop in interior noise. I am sure a complete cargo area and wheel well (maybe even passenger floor boards) floor board coverage with Dynomat would make a big difference. That stuff is expensive though. Thought I would test under rear seat first and maybe move to other areas.

Next thing for me is to replace the noisy OEM Duellers.
  • jiaminjiamin Posts: 556
    I installed 4 square inch of dynamat Xtreme in the trunk area. I didn't cover the wheel well but most of its surrounding area. No noticeable noise reduction was found. If I have n easy way to remove side plastic panel in the trunk I will probably install more dynamat.

Hi ibinh, did you really notice a small noise drop, or could it be a psychological affect because you know there is something in there to supposedly reduce noise? The reason why I'm asking is since the material is expensive, I want to install it in the most efficient way and area.
  • I just bought a 2000 Nissan Pathfinder and need tires-255/65-16 and an alignment. I know the Bridgestones are original equipment-any recommendations for all season tires and alignment? thanks
    If you go back a couple of pages you'll find several messages regarding replacement tires.
    I put Yokohama Geolandar AT Plus IIs on my 2003 and really like them. Others have mentioned a different model of the Geolandar as well as the Michelin LTX.
    The problem with replacing the Duelers is that there isn't a big selection of tires in the OEM size -- you have to move to a more standard size in order to have a better selection of tires.

Jim
  • I replaced the two belts a couple of days ago on my 2001 PF SE and now when I start the engine it makes a loud squealing sound when it first starts up. I am guessing that one or both of the belts needs to be tightened but have also heard somewhere you can cause damage if they are too tight. Any suggestions?
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Posts: 621
    Hey all, just got a 2003 PF SE and I'm loving it! (my first Nissan vehicle) 2 questions, however: Do all PF's have a LSD differential, or is this an option that I missed getting?
    Second, my owner's manual lists 2 different engines, but I thought all PF's came with the same 3.5 DOHC V6. Do you know what the differences are?
    Thanks in advance!!

Congrats on your purchase! I'm not sure if all '03 PF's came with the LSD, but it's easy to tell if you've got it: the rear differential shoul have an orange "Use LSD oil only" sticker on it.

Also, not all PF's come with the VQ35 engine. The 3.5L engine was added only in North American Pathfinders. The rest of the world still gets the VG33E.
  • woodyr1woodyr1 Posts: 142
    Here in Canada, if you order the 03 Pathfinder with the automatic transmission package, it comes with traction control and other traction enchancements (VDC). Not sure how it is in the USA.
    jiamin,

without a sound meter it is very arbitrary. I used my conversation voice during highway speeds as a rough gauge. I know, it is not very accurate but the conversation was easier (very slight, it may be psychological as you stated) to listen to after the install. It is relatively small/incomplete test install.

I would hesistate to tell you that it would make a further difference if what you already installed did not make a difference. Wind noise is still bad on windy days. Can't do anything more to help that. I am going to install new Dueler A/T Revos tires tomorrow. I think that would make the single largest impact in noise reduction.

We will see. I will post my review after some holiday travel this week.

I was thinking about the Yoko Geolander H/T-S GO51, Goodyear Forteras HL, Michelin Cross Terrain, and the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos. For the price, treadwear, wet traction, looks, and most improtant to me, road noise/comfort, the Revos can't be beat according to the numerous tirerack reviews. I have used their reviews on another passenger tire purchase and wasn't dissappointed at all.
    Thanks Ibinh for the reply. Yes other than replacing with a low noise tire, I think it needs a fundermental re-design if Lexus-quiet is the goal.

BTW I couldn't fine Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos at tirerack.com. I put in 02 QX4 and it poped up with the same OEM tire I think. When it comes to a new tire, low noise/comfort is also my first consideration.
    is not available with 17" from tirerack.com. Wish my wheels are 16" so the size of itself will let tire have more rubber and less noise.
    Sorry to hear that Jiamin.

I am assuming your '02 QX4 has more sound insulation because it is a luxury brand. If you do mostly on road driving then that might not be the tire for you. I read they make a whirling wind noise from 5-50 MPH. Silent >50MPH. It is because of the aggressive tread design (All Terrain tires). Looks great though even though no 17" size for yours.

Alternative for you could be the Goodyear Fortera HL or the Yoko Geolander H/T-s GO51. Both are rated as low noise highway SUV tires.

Since it is my fiance's car I have racked my brains over this decision and think I will go with the Luxury Highway Goodyears. Poor treadwear ratings (compared to others in category) from tirerack though. Might be taking advantage of 60K treadwear warranty. Will sacrifice treadlife for less noise. Will install today.

Dueler A/T Revos are a better tire in the wet/dry but too many reviews about noisy tread(humming wind noise) at low speed. Best all terrain tire out there. Not for our highway traveling though.

Hope Nissan addresses wind noise problem in current Pathies for the next generation model.
  • Jack44Jack44 Posts: 221
    My 2001 QX4 came with Michelin LTX M/S tires...245/65-17's...Gone 35,000 and they still are good...Seem to ride well with not to much road noise...
    After painstaking review of consumer comments on tirerack, I concluded that the Revos would produce more noise than I want in a all highway setup. I gave the Goodyear Forteras HL a try today and they are much quieter than OEM Dueler HT's. Holiday roadtrip will produce more comments later.

Got the 255/70/16, $587.60 Discount Tire with $50 mail in rebate. Raised the car up noticebly, ~1 inch at least. Fills the wheel wells out nicely. Aggressive sidewalls are nice. The Yoko Geolanders H/T-s were my close second choice.

Sorry to hear that QX4 and Pathy 17"s wheels are limited in tire selection.

I heard Brown Bread deadener was the best value insulation out there. Heard it can reduce interior noise by 7-8 Decibels with full install. It is also cheaper.

I hope they fundamentally incorporate more insulation on their $30K vehicles next time. Wind tunnel testing wouldn't hurt either. : P